4 votes (3.36%)
3 votes (2.52%)

119 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 11th, 2016 at 1:58:52 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

In Trump's defense (something you won't hear me say often), weren't this weekend's rallies thrown together pretty quickly?

I'm sure if there was more notice, some more if his supporters would have been able to reschedule their klan rallies and get out to support Trump (I kid, I kid... kind of).

Which simply points out his lack of an organized ground game.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
June 11th, 2016 at 3:49:24 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

How is your life better by maintaining the belief that our country is going to go at least 20 years with evil presidents?

Sometimes I axe myself this question. Best thing for me would probably be to totally ignore politics for the rest of my life.

Are these people really that evil, I sometimes wonder.

I'm not sure Trump is. Or Obama. They both seem like flawed people with whom I strongly disagree about many things. But when I look at the whole picture, it's hard to say most politicians are just successful people who want to serve their country.

Probably the most obvious roadblock to thinking that is the Iraq war. I don't know if you were old enough and paying attention at the time, but every justification could be discredited with a brief internet search. There's not really any such thing as a dirty bomb for example.

My go to here is this Onion article, written in the run up. It's not that this comedy writer was some sort of foreign policy wizard. He was simply stating the overwhelmingly obvious.

"This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the flames of hatred even higher. It will not end the threat of weapons of mass destruction; it will make possible their further proliferation. And it will not lay the groundwork for the flourishing of democracy throughout the Mideast; it will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all Western (i.e. U.S.) influence.

If you thought Osama bin Laden was bad, just wait until the countless children who become orphaned by U.S. bombs in the coming weeks are all grown up. Do you think they will forget what country dropped the bombs that killed their parents? In 10 or 15 years, we will look back fondly on the days when there were only a few thousand Middle Easterners dedicated to destroying the U.S. and willing to die for the fundamentalist cause. From this war, a million bin Ladens will bloom.

And what exactly is our endgame here? Do we really believe that we can install Gen. Tommy Franks as the ruler of Iraq? Is our arrogance and hubris so great that we actually believe that a U.S. provisional military regime will be welcomed with open arms by the Iraqi people? Democracy cannot possibly thrive under coercion. To take over a country and impose one's own system of government without regard for the people of that country is the very antithesis of democracy. And it is doomed to fail."

http://www.theonion.com/multiblogpost/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-regio-11534

Hillary is not an imbecile. Nor are most of the other people who went ahead with the war. It was a war to benefit oil companies, arms dealers and mercenaries and to increase conflict because conflict is a pretext for increased authoritarianism. I just don't see how someone who starts wars for corporate profit and to increase their own power over others can be seen as non-evil.

We can look at other things forever. Do politicians really believe that it was good for Americans to cut our bankruptcy protections and legalize loan sharking?

How many really believe it is good to throw some kid's parents behind bars over marijuana? Or, to incarcerate almost 1% of our population in general?
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
June 11th, 2016 at 3:54:17 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I'm not sure why, but you seem to be putting words in my mouth
Lesser of two evils is different from calling one evil...I just think that two of the poorest candidates have been presented for the general election.

"Lesser of two evils" means that they both are evil. Those were your words
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
June 11th, 2016 at 4:11:04 PM permalink
Outsiders = Ralph Nader, Ron Paul. Perot. Perot was still sanity compared to Trump even when the paranoia struck and he quit. Nader would have likely been unrelenting and extreme at wanting what he wanted. Ron Paul somewhat more than most.

Trump is an epic mess. His views don't even matter to me at this point.

I am sorry people who I at least think are qualified are unelectable. The list is long on those that tried to get elected and failed all down the tickets for over 200 years. Probably many who were decent even. Maybe 2?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 11th, 2016 at 7:47:25 PM permalink

Not in the context of them not being great candidates which is what I was speaking about...each party could have done better but they misjudged the anger at the establishment.

I get to decide whether I think they are "evil" or not for myself...as does everyone else.

Cheers!!!
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
June 12th, 2016 at 2:29:50 AM permalink

Lesser of two evils is an expression. It means the least unfavourable of two. Has nothing to do with either candidate being evil.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 12th, 2016 at 4:53:10 PM permalink
The shooting will help trump. Democrats are saying it is a gun control problem. Trump will say it is a Islamic Terrorirst problem. Right or wrong, the American public will side with Trump.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 12th, 2016 at 5:28:53 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The shooting will help trump. Democrats are saying it is a gun control problem. Trump will say it is a Islamic Terrorirst problem. Right or wrong, the American public will side with Trump.

Yep, politicians condemning his comments about "being right" already. And with he public being sick of politicians falls right into his trap...they fall for it every time....trump maybe the most talented troll we've ever seen.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
June 13th, 2016 at 3:34:22 PM permalink
Over here [I'm in the UK] we're engrossed in the European referendum and Euro football. However I noticed there was a UK market on the US election. I find betfair [exchange] gives a good estimate of the odds as (a) real money talks and (b) with a fluid market the prices are fair (betfair makes it money on commission rather than a "House Edge").

At the moment [NB exchange odds]
4/11 Clinton - is favourite at 1.37 (i.e. $1 returns 1.37 for 37c profit)
100/30 Trump (at 4.4)
50/1 Sanders (at 55.0)
80/1 Biden
200/1 bar (i.e. any named other).

Here is the link to the US market
https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.107373419
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 14th, 2016 at 5:17:23 AM permalink
Donald Trump Suggests President Obama Was Involved With Orlando Shooting

This article was written in the afternoon yesterday.

After the article was written, Donald doubled down on his completely insane comments about Obama. When asked to clarify on a radio show, he did his usual "people can't believe what is going on" .... "I'll let you figure out what it happening" ... word salad nonsense.

I can't wait for all his Republican endorsers to get asked "Do you agree with Donald Trump (who you've endorsed) that Obama could have been involved in the Orlando shooting?"

Grab the popcorn.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 14th, 2016 at 8:21:46 AM permalink

Grab the popcorn.

That first debate between Clinton and Trump is going to be an absolute circus, and I think might even decide the election.

1) Trump does what Trump does, and people love him for it, regardless of whatever nonsense comes out of his mouth. His popularity skyrockets and he becomes president.

2) Clinton destroys Trump because he's a mediocre businessman and TV star and doesn't know a d**m thing about politics, whereas she has been doing it for decades. Clinton's popularity skyrockets and she becomes president.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 14th, 2016 at 8:28:58 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

That first debate between Clinton and Trump is going to be an absolute circus, and I think might even decide the election..

I just posted about Liars and A$$holes in another thread.
I'm thinking that 'Liars and A$$holes' should be the 'Headline Theme' for this debate ;-)

<edit> so I picked up the Batphone and asked each campaign what they thought of the concept.
Got two responses:
- You can't handle the truth!
- It's the Art of the Deal!
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
ams288
ams288
June 14th, 2016 at 8:29:04 AM permalink

That first debate between Clinton and Trump is going to be an absolute circus, and I think might even decide the election.

1) Trump does what Trump does, and people love him for it, regardless of whatever nonsense comes out of his mouth. His popularity skyrockets and he becomes president.

2) Clinton destroys Trump because he's a mediocre businessman and TV star and doesn't know a d**m thing about politics, whereas she has been doing it for decades. Clinton's popularity skyrockets and she becomes president.

I hope Gary Johnson doesn't gain enough steam in the polls to get him in the debate.

I want Trump v. Clinton one-on-one for 90 minutes.

Trump can't sustain himself for that long. He's never debated with any less than 4 people on the stage. He knows nothing about anything. You could only spew your sound bites for so long. Hillary is a good debater. She can talk substantially for long periods of time. Trump can't. He will go for personal attacks.

Trump could tank like Obama did in his first debate against Romney and he will still claim victory no matter what (and Drudge will back him up).
onalinehorse
onalinehorse
  • Threads: 1
June 14th, 2016 at 11:29:02 AM permalink
Gary is averaging 8.4 in the 5 polls that would qualify him to be in the debates. He needs to reach 15. Ain't gonna happen.
No nut job entertainment this year.
ams288
ams288
June 15th, 2016 at 5:21:08 AM permalink
Bloomberg Poll: Clinton 49%, Trump 37%

Clinton ahead by 12 points. Yes, it's June. Polls don't matter that much. But if more polls like this come out and it becomes a trend that Trump is down by close to double digits, expect a panic to set in among the right.

Also, there is a lot of good info below the line regarding various issues if you click on the link.

The poll was conducted before and after the Orlando shooting:

Quote:

While the shooting didn’t alter the poll’s night-by-night findings in the presidential race in any significant way, the incident did alter the trend lines on other measures.

The proportion of Americans saying the nation is on the right track dropped to 19 percent from 27 percent, when compared before and after the Orlando incident. The share saying terrorism or the Islamic State is the most important election issue rose to 28 percent from 16 percent.

When two days of polling before Orlando are compared with the two days after, President Barack Obama's job approval rating dropped to 51 percent from 55 percent, while his favorability dropped to 52 percent from 57 percent.

Trump's suggestions that Obama hasn't taken forceful enough action to stop domestic terrorism because he sides with Muslims landed with a thud for the majority of Americans, with 61 percent disagreeing with the suggestion. A strong majority—69 percent—also disagree that law enforcement agencies should increase surveillance of all American Muslims, even if it conflicts with civil liberties.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 15th, 2016 at 7:24:04 AM permalink

Clinton ahead by 12 points. Yes, it's June. Polls don't matter that much. But if more polls like this come out and it becomes a trend that Trump is down by close to double digits, expect a panic to set in among the right.

"the right" is not as in favor of Trump as you seem to believe. They do not consider him their candidate. Replace the word 'panic' with "resigned to the fact that Hillary will be the next president" and I will agree with you.

What odds can I get on Trump not even garnering 100 electoral votes?
ams288
ams288
June 15th, 2016 at 8:03:43 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

"the right" is not as in favor of Trump as you seem to believe. They do not consider him their candidate. Replace the word 'panic' with "resigned to the fact that Hillary will be the next president" and I will agree with you.

Yes I am aware. By "the right" I was mainly referring to what I guess most people would refer to as the "establishment."

If these polls keep trending this way, what does Paul Ryan do? What do vulnerable Senators in Ohio, Wisconsin, NH, etc. do? Is it too late to steal the nomination from Trump?
RonC
RonC
June 15th, 2016 at 11:01:35 AM permalink
“As a Muslim I object to Hillary Clinton,” he said. “I don’t believe a woman should be the president of a nation. As our prophet … taught us, whenever a woman is in charge there’s going to be problems. What if she’s on her menses and it’s time to go to war, is she going to press the button because she’s angry?”

http://www.westernjournalism.com/imam-linked-to-orlando-shooter-stuns-with-statements-on-beheading-journalists-stoning-women/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Huckabee&utm_content=2016-06-15&utm_campaign=manualpost

So not only are some Imams completely lost on the issue of equality, they don't even know that Hillary is 68 years old?
RonC
RonC
June 15th, 2016 at 11:06:48 AM permalink

Yes I am aware. By "the right" I was mainly referring to what I guess most people would refer to as the "establishment."

If these polls keep trending this way, what does Paul Ryan do? What do vulnerable Senators in Ohio, Wisconsin, NH, etc. do? Is it too late to steal the nomination from Trump?

I don't know if it is too late to "steal" the nomination at this point since the convention is still in the future and I don't even think that all of the rules are written, but I do believe they really get nothing by doing that...Trump would raise heck and possibly attempt to get on ballots or be the largest write-in candidate ever, and the result would not change. The now even further divided party would lose by more electoral votes than with Trump running; possibly by record numbers.

Nope....pretty much Trump is the only chance for the Presidency on that side and they need to either support him or organize to support the lower-level candidates and hold as many seats as possible. The possibility looms of lower-level candidates running against Trump, Clinton, and their Democrat opponent.

Not a pretty picture...

...but it is far from over!
ams288
ams288
June 15th, 2016 at 1:52:31 PM permalink
Marco Rubio is indicating that he may want to run again and try to keep his senate seat in Florida.

Hopefully Trump was right when he said the people of Florida hate Rubio so much, he couldn't be elected dogcatcher!
RonC
RonC
June 15th, 2016 at 1:56:35 PM permalink

Marco Rubio is indicating that he may want to run again and try to keep his senate seat in Florida.

Hopefully Trump was right when he said the people of Florida hate Rubio so much, he couldn't be elected dogcatcher!

Looks bleak for Marco Polo:

Only 32% of voters in the state approve of the job Rubio is doing as Senator, to 54% who disapprove. Those numbers make him one of the least popular Senators in the country. Even among Republicans his numbers are barely positive at 51/37 and he does very poorly with both independents (25/54) and Democrats (18/70). Only 39% of voters in the state want him to run for reelection this year, compared to 51% who say he should sit it out.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/marco-rubio/
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 15th, 2016 at 3:42:52 PM permalink
If he runs, and loses, he's done. I think he'd be better off being a freelance leader in the semi-loyal opposition to Mrs Clinton.
He's got a bright future.
By the way, I got my new License today and after forty years as a registered Republican, I am now officially Non-Partisan.
For the last 25 years, I was a true Rino.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 15th, 2016 at 4:17:46 PM permalink

“As a Muslim I object to Hillary Clinton,” he said. “I don’t believe a woman should be the president of a nation. As our prophet … taught us, whenever a woman is in charge there’s going to be problems. What if she’s on her menses and it’s time to go to war, is she going to press the button because she’s angry?”

http://www.westernjournalism.com/imam-linked-to-orlando-shooter-stuns-with-statements-on-beheading-journalists-stoning-women/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Huckabee&utm_content=2016-06-15&utm_campaign=manualpost

So not only are some Imams completely lost on the issue of equality, they don't even know that Hillary is 68 years old?

I genuinely appreciate you noticing how ludicrous these remarks were specific to Hillary. However, I'd go one step further and say they're ludicrous remarks, period. (Yes, I meant to say that.) A woman's ability to be sensible, logical, and professional are not dependent on whether Aunt Flo is visiting.

I will allow that in a personal relationship with a husband or SO, (since this is a mostly male board), there might be noticeable mood swings with some women specific to your dealings with her. But the misogyny and ignorance of that guy's statement is profound. And certainly not a valid reason to vote against any female candidate.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
June 15th, 2016 at 4:45:49 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I genuinely appreciate you noticing how ludicrous these remarks were specific to Hillary. However, I'd go one step further and say they're ludicrous remarks, period. (Yes, I meant to say that.) A woman's ability to be sensible, logical, and professional are not dependent on whether Aunt Flo is visiting.

I will allow that in a personal relationship with a husband or SO, (since this is a mostly male board), there might be noticeable mood swings with some women specific to your dealings with her. But the misogyny and ignorance of that guy's statement is profound. And certainly not a valid reason to vote against any female candidate.

A lot of health practitioners hypothesize that men have in some form the equivalent of menses. That is mood swings, hormonal ups and downs, changes of pace in cognition and the like.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
June 15th, 2016 at 4:48:02 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

A lot of health practitioners hypothesize that men have in some form the equivalent of menses. That is mood swings, hormonal ups and downs, changes of pace in cognition and the like.

Maybe that would explain my bad mood lately.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
rxwine
rxwine
June 15th, 2016 at 6:20:31 PM permalink

If these polls keep trending this way, what does Paul Ryan do?

I assume many of them are already thinking beyond the election and to damage control. Trump is Katrina, and it's already too late to do much to save New Orleans at this point as Trumps on the 5 day (relative) projected path to landfall.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
June 16th, 2016 at 5:45:50 AM permalink
The liberal press is hard at--they are looking at every word that he says and trying to point out every possible problem....

"Donald Trump’s ruling philosophy – and sudden favored motto of the campaign – has a Nazi-friendly background.

In recent Twitter posts and speeches, he’s touted #AmericaFirst, which has its origins with Americans who supported the Nazi regime in the 1930s."

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/election/article/The-Nazi-era-influence-behind-Donald-Trump-s-new-8212618.php

While the story may be "correct" about the things that happened after Woodrow Wilson first used the tern, there is nothing linking Trump to the Nazi part of it...which the headline implies--"The Nazi era influence behind Donald Trump's new favorite motto"...

I am fine with them finding every flaw in Trump's past and in his speeches, but they pretty much ignore Hillary's lies about the emails and the other issues surrounding her.

Before anyone gets upset about that statement, Hillary may never face any charges related to the email scandal but there is no doubt that she has lied and changed her story.

Politically, the more dirt they dig up now, the less opportunity for an "October Surprise"...
  • Threads: 31
June 16th, 2016 at 10:51:28 AM permalink

The liberal press is hard at--they are looking at every word that he says and trying to point out every possible problem....

"Donald Trump’s ruling philosophy – and sudden favored motto of the campaign – has a Nazi-friendly background.

In recent Twitter posts and speeches, he’s touted #AmericaFirst, which has its origins with Americans who supported the Nazi regime in the 1930s."

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/election/article/The-Nazi-era-influence-behind-Donald-Trump-s-new-8212618.php

While the story may be "correct" about the things that happened after Woodrow Wilson first used the tern, there is nothing linking Trump to the Nazi part of it...which the headline implies--"The Nazi era influence behind Donald Trump's new favorite motto"...

I am fine with them finding every flaw in Trump's past and in his speeches, but they pretty much ignore Hillary's lies about the emails and the other issues surrounding her.

Before anyone gets upset about that statement, Hillary may never face any charges related to the email scandal but there is no doubt that she has lied and changed her story.

Politically, the more dirt they dig up now, the less opportunity for an "October Surprise"...

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong in wanting to put America first, and all citizens and politicians should promote the “America First” idea to UNITE America.

But unfortunately for America, Trump's idea of America First's is largely centered on his demagogue & incendiary languages in the context of racial hierarchy that brings back memory of the Hitler & Nazism. And Trump's use of demagogue & incendiary languages to manipulate the angry crowds is very DIVISIVE and full of racism (or at best is “tinged in racism”).

Hillary's email is FULLY covered by the press from all sides, and it appears to me that the press is very critical of Hillary on this. IMO, Hillary's large negative opinion is largely due to the press coverages of her private email server and her Wall Street connection. And her negative opinion is then magnified much bigger with the attacks by the GOP, GOP's media & talking head machines, and the Dem's very own Bernie Sanders.

With regarding the press' coverage, the one person that benefits the most from the press during this 2016 election cycles is Trump himself (even Trump admitted that he had received many free press coverages and therefore; he does not need large sum of money to advertise his campaign and to spread messages).
RonC
RonC
June 16th, 2016 at 11:24:47 AM permalink
Quote: 777

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong in wanting to put America first, and all citizens and politicians should promote the “America First” idea to UNITE America.

But unfortunately for America, Trump's idea of America First's is largely centered on his demagogue & incendiary languages in the context of racial hierarchy that brings back memory of the Hitler & Nazism. And Trump's use of demagogue & incendiary languages to manipulate the angry crowds is very DIVISIVE and full of racism (or at best is “tinged in racism”).

Hillary's email is FULLY covered by the press from all sides, and it appears to me that the press is very critical of Hillary on this. IMO, Hillary's large negative opinion is largely due to the press coverages of her private email server and her Wall Street connection. And her negative opinion is then magnified much bigger with the attacks by the GOP, GOP's media & talking head machines, and the Dem's very own Bernie Sanders.

With regarding the press' coverage, the one person that benefits the most from the press during this 2016 election cycles is Trump himself (even Trump admitted that he had received many free press coverages and therefore; he does not need large sum of money to advertise his campaign and to spread messages).

Trump benefits the most from the press coverage because he actively seeks the press and talks with them. Hillary almost refuses to talk to the press.

Hillary's emails have not been "fully covered" at all--if they were "fully covered" the press would be digging much deeper in to what was really in the emails on that server. They also spend very little time on her foreign connections; those are actually more frightening than the email thing. Everyone said that Bush was in bed with Saudis...how many people is Hillary in bed with.

We disagree on the coverage, and that is fine...
RonC
RonC
June 16th, 2016 at 11:38:28 AM permalink
Is the Democrat's playbook?

http://gawker.com/this-looks-like-the-dncs-hacked-trump-oppo-file-1782040426
ams288
ams288
June 16th, 2016 at 11:44:12 AM permalink

Is the Democrat's playbook?

http://gawker.com/this-looks-like-the-dncs-hacked-trump-oppo-file-1782040426

Probably.

The Trump file is all public information. Now the media has it in a nice file and they can report on it.
RonC
RonC
June 16th, 2016 at 12:35:56 PM permalink
Trump Leads Decisively In Current Poll

Las Vegas(NYB)--Donald Trump has maintained a consistent advantage over opponent Hillary Clinton in one world-wide poll of likely candidates (and a few other things). This brings into question all polls showing that Hillary has the advantage at this point. See the results here:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/all-other/25807-2016-election-part-ii/

Okay...there you go...
June 16th, 2016 at 12:59:50 PM permalink

Trump Leads Decisively In Current Poll

Las Vegas(NYB)--Donald Trump has maintained a consistent advantage over opponent Hillary Clinton in one world-wide poll of likely candidates (and a few other things). This brings into question all polls showing that Hillary has the advantage at this point. See the results here:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/all-other/25807-2016-election-part-ii/

Okay...there you go...

In a recent poll from only one respondent by the name of RonC, Trump decisively get 100% and Hillary get 0%.

Yes, it is true that Trump could shoot somebody and wouldn't lose voters.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/23/politics/donald-trump-shoot-somebody-support/
RonC
RonC
June 16th, 2016 at 1:04:50 PM permalink

In a recent poll from only one respondent by the name of RonC, Trump decisively get 100% and Hillary get 0%.

Actually, I am undecided between abstaining from casting a vote in the Presidential election when I vote or Trump. Heck, I could even vote for the non-specific potential candidate even though I know that effort would fail.

I am not sold on Trump. I am sold on NOT Hillary.

Yes, it is true that Trump could shoot somebody and wouldn't lose voters.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/23/politics/donald-trump-shoot-somebody-support/

If any candidate shot the right person, they could gain votes...

We've got one who will say anything and one who will do anything to be President.

Yikes!
ams288
ams288
June 16th, 2016 at 1:51:43 PM permalink
This is a Vegas board so:

Trump will be doing a campaign stop this Saturday in Vegas in the Mystere theater at TI.
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
June 16th, 2016 at 6:21:12 PM permalink
Trump is gonna win in the landslide, hey hey!
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
June 16th, 2016 at 10:05:58 PM permalink
Quote: soxfan

Trump is gonna win in the landslide, hey hey!

My prediction: Trump won't even be in the race on election day. I think he has no intention of actually being president and this whole imbroglio is just a vain, rich man having the sort of fun that only vain men want and only rich men can afford.

Anyone see "Rat Race"? This is that. It's inconceivable to me that there isn't a bar bet somewhere in the back story here. Maybe it's just for a dollar, like "Trading Places."
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
rxwine
rxwine
June 16th, 2016 at 10:52:39 PM permalink
You'll never believe this. Oh wait, you probably will. It's Donald Trump.

Quote:

The Trump Foundation, Donald Trump’s nonprofit organization, is under fire for allegedly operating as more of a political slush fund than a charity. The foundation is accused of violating rules prohibiting it from engaging in politics—prompting ethics watchdogs to call for public investigations.

On numerous occasions this year, Trump’s campaign work and his foundation work have overlapped—putting himself at risk for penalties and his charity at risk of being shut down.

Quote:

Trump is listed as the president of the foundation in the charity’s annual disclosures, and his children Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and Ivanka Trump are all listed as directors. Foundations like theirs are exempt from paying taxes, and as such are barred from engaging in political causes.

“A 501(c)(3) [nonprofit organization], like the Trump Foundation, is strictly prohibited from engaging in political activity. On its tax forms, the Foundation told the IRS that it does not,” s

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/16/donald-trump-accused-of-using-his-charity-as-a-political-slush-fund.html
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
June 17th, 2016 at 12:55:13 AM permalink

She can talk substantially for long periods of time.

Thanks for the warning. I assumed she was all talk.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ams288
ams288
June 17th, 2016 at 4:39:40 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Thanks for the warning. I assumed she was all talk.

LOL - I think I meant to say "substantively."
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
June 17th, 2016 at 5:03:27 AM permalink

LOL - I think I meant to say "substantively."

Freudian slip.... OBVIOUSLY.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ams288
ams288
June 17th, 2016 at 5:08:08 AM permalink
That really did make me laugh out loud...
RonC
RonC
June 17th, 2016 at 5:20:28 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You'll never believe this. Oh wait, you probably will. It's Donald Trump.

Quote:

Trump is listed as the president of the foundation in the charity’s annual disclosures, and his children Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and Ivanka Trump are all listed as directors. Foundations like theirs are exempt from paying taxes, and as such are barred from engaging in political causes.

“A 501(c)(3) [nonprofit organization], like the Trump Foundation, is strictly prohibited from engaging in political activity. On its tax forms, the Foundation told the IRS that it does not,” s

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/16/donald-trump-accused-of-using-his-charity-as-a-political-slush-fund.html

The worst that can come of this is that we'll have two crooks running this fall instead of one. Any bets on which one gets indicted at some point?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 17th, 2016 at 8:39:36 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

My prediction: Trump won't even be in the race on election day. I think he has no intention of actually being president and this whole imbroglio is just a vain, rich man having the sort of fun that only vain men want and only rich men can afford.

That totally makes sense, and fits in with the "conspiracy theory" of Trump entering the presidential race on a lark, seeing how far he could go, and when it looked like he was going to be the actual nominee, he just kept saying crazier and crazier stuff to get himself kicked out, but instead it made him more and more popular. Now he's really having to push some buttons to make sure he doesn't become president.

Quote:

It's inconceivable to me that there isn't a bar bet somewhere in the back story here. Maybe it's just for a dollar, like "Trading Places."

That would be amazing. I hope it's true, and when they make a movie about it they'll probably cast Dicaprio as Trump.
June 17th, 2016 at 8:52:43 AM permalink

That totally makes sense, and fits in with the "conspiracy theory" of Trump entering the presidential race on a lark, seeing how far he could go, and when it looked like he was going to be the actual nominee, he just kept saying crazier and crazier stuff to get himself kicked out, but instead it made him more and more popular. Now he's really having to push some buttons to make sure he doesn't become president.

That would be amazing. I hope it's true, and when they make a movie about it they'll probably cast Dicaprio as Trump.

Trump Tells GOP To Shut Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vo3AaNzQ-Y
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/politics/donald-trump-republican-anxiety/index.html
June 17th, 2016 at 2:01:40 PM permalink

Trump Tells GOP To Shut Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vo3AaNzQ-Y

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/politics/donald-trump-republican-anxiety/index.html

Dozens of GOP delegates launch new push to halt Donald Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dozens-of-gop-delegates-launch-new-push-to-halt-donald-trump/2016/06/17/e8dcf74e-3491-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

An excerpt taken from the link above:

In addition, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), who is slated to chair the Republican National Convention next month in Cleveland, said in remarks released Friday that House Republicans should “follow their conscience” on whether to support Trump.
June 17th, 2016 at 6:34:41 PM permalink
An excerpt of Kasic’s answer in an interview by Joe Scarborough on MSNBC's Morning Joe (no link provided):

KASICH: You can either look at people's problems, and unite them and give them hope, or you can look at people's problems, polarize them, and get them to double down on negativity. Donald Trump called me, and he said, you know, can you support me? I said, we're like two companies, we have different values, different visions. Kind of hard to put that together. So, I'll send you my "Two Paths" speech. And, you know, either there's going to be dramatic change, or I can't find my way there. My message matters to me, Joe...
MichaelBluejay
MichaelBluejay
  • Threads: 81
June 20th, 2016 at 8:47:10 PM permalink

Dozens of GOP delegates launch new push to halt Donald Trump

So, what, they just throw democracy out the window? The delegates want to tell all the people who overwhelmingly voted for Trump that their votes didn't matter? I don't like Trump either, but he won fair and square. Don't blame him, blame the people who voted for them. And respect their votes.
Presidential Election polls and odds: https://2605.me/p
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
June 20th, 2016 at 11:12:02 PM permalink
Odds for Trump getting the nomination have lengthened significantly the last week. Now 1.16 is available (-625).
ams288
ams288
June 21st, 2016 at 5:17:23 AM permalink
Donald Trump, who is running on his business credentials, is running a campaign that is essentially broke:

Quote:

Trump ended the month of May with $1.28 million on hand. That's disastrous. It's unbelievable. It's less than a tenth of what he should have. It's less than a well-run congressional campaign should have. It's $40 million less than Hillary Clinton's campaign has. It's Donald Trump in a nutshell.

Fun fact: the campaigns of Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, and Ben Carson(!!) all had more cash on hand than Donald Trump's campaign as of May.
  • Jump to: