pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
June 6th, 2010 at 10:33:36 PM permalink

I think this compound is by far the best home in Vegas. Built for a cost of $60 million by Prince Jefri Bolkiah of Brunei. He loaned the compound to Michael Jackson for several months. Supposedly the price he spent on this compound is a tiny fraction of his total spending. He once spent $17 million on a birthday party. He has 500 properties, both in Brunei and abroad, more than 2,000 cars, 100 paintings, five boats, and nine aircraft.

The compound is at the corner of South Durango Drive, and West Hacienda Avenue. It is 6 miles west of Las Vegas Blvd on West Tropicana Ave.
gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
June 6th, 2010 at 10:48:34 PM permalink
I would pitch a tent in the corner and be very happy.
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
  • Threads: 31
June 7th, 2010 at 12:41:46 AM permalink
That looks like a lot of wasted water to me.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 7th, 2010 at 8:16:22 AM permalink
You have to ask yourself: do I want a place so large I need golf carts to move around?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Brad
Brad
  • Threads: 1
June 7th, 2010 at 8:26:18 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

You have to ask yourself: do I want a place so large I need golf carts to move around?

Yes please! :)
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
June 7th, 2010 at 8:32:43 AM permalink
Quote: nyuhoosier

That looks like a lot of wasted water to me.

He probably provides as much employment as some of the small hotels with pools.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 7th, 2010 at 8:59:11 AM permalink
Jul. 03, 2007
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal
NORM: Jackson changes Las Vegas address

Music legend Michael Jackson has moved into a $60 million, 100,000-square foot Las Vegas compound owned by Prince Jefri Bolkiah of Brunei in the upscale, gated-community Spanish Trail.
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
June 7th, 2010 at 2:43:10 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

He probably provides as much employment as some of the small hotels with pools.

What does that have to do with wasting water or anything else? In Southern Nevada, there's almost no reason to have so much grass and greenery. It's unnatural here and the alternatives are so much better. Desert landscaping is just as beautiful, and artificial grass (if you prefer the look) is easy to maintain. Even the Wynn has astroturf out front.

And by "he," who are you referring to? Michael Jackson is dead and the prince is trying to unload the property, last I heard.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 7th, 2010 at 7:35:32 PM permalink
This 16-acre compound is the top water waster in Las Vegas. the water usage at this property would supply 108 average single-family homes each year.

Believe it or not he has a second compound which is smaller but no less luxurious in Las Vegas at (36.061718, -115.103323) which is about a half mile from Casa de Shenandoah, the well known home of the singer Wayne Newton.

One of the homes of the Maloof brothers is featured in the lollipop video . The Maloof brothers have a quick cameo as white guys playing poker.

Maybe because of his divorce and possibly because of his eyesight Steve and Elaine gave up the huge mansion. They simply live at the best rooms at the Wynn now. Steve Wynn's home means he probably loses a million dollars a year in rental, but it is 3000 square feet. I assume he can get room service from anyone of the restaurants.

The divorce is seemingly amicable since they continue to live nearby and work together. Elaine got a huge chunk of the shares of the company, but Steve is still a billionaire. They were divorced and remarried once before and have known each other since they were teenagers.

Steve and Elaine built a custom home in the middle of Shadow Creek golf course which they developed at Mirage Corporation. When the merger went through they had several years to sell their home. It was on the market for $28 million which would have made it the most expensive home ever sold in Las Vegas, but it seemed as if multimillionaires weren't interested in paying for this oddball property. There were only two homes on the golf course (the other belonging to the COO of Mirage) and the golf course is surrounded by modest homes often selling for less than $100K. I think he ended up selling to MGM-MIRAGE and moving into the Wynn hotel. Maybe a MGM-MIRAGE executive lives there now. The decor looks similar to the hotels anyway.
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
June 7th, 2010 at 9:09:12 PM permalink
Thanks for the research on these properties. Interesting as always.
pacomartin
pacomartin
June 9th, 2010 at 7:35:20 AM permalink

The Wynns moved into the house following the 1993 kidnapping of daughter, Kevyn. Before that they lived in Spanish Trails (the same development that Prince Jefri has his huge $60 million compound.

As an added security measure, few people were invited to his home, and those who were rarely talked publicly about the experience. People played the golf course by his invitation only. It is believed U.S. presidents stayed there and friends from Hollywood, but photos of the house during this time are next to impossible to find. One of the few tidbits about the house that is known is that Clint Eastwood married Dina Ruiz on the front lawn in March 31, 1996.

When Wynn lost control of Mirage Resorts, which included the Shadow Creek golf course, in 2000, he negotiated to retain ownership of his secluded residence. Through an agreement reached with MGM Grand at the time, Wynn had the option to sell the home at his cost within five years to the new owners of the golf course. After Wynn and his wife, Elaine, moved into a suite at Wynn Las Vegas, they sold the residence in July 2005 for $15.5 million to MGM Mirage.

The other house on Shadow Creek was sold by MGM Mirage in 2002 for $4.7 million. The gaming company had bought the house in 2000 from current Wynn Resorts COO Marc Schorr for $3.3 million.
  • Jump to: