Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1367
June 30th, 2012 at 7:05:50 PM permalink
Tomorrow Mexico will vote for a new president. According to Intrade, Enrique Peña Nieto has a 93.5% of winning. I hope that Nareed can introduce us to Mexico's presumed next president.

Image source: Wikipedia.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 30th, 2012 at 7:34:38 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I hope that Nareed can introduce us to Mexico's presumed next president.

I'll quote myself:

There are four reasons not to vote. This is one of them.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1367
June 30th, 2012 at 7:44:39 PM permalink
I'm sure Paco will give us more than four words.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
June 30th, 2012 at 7:51:55 PM permalink
It doesn't matter who wins. Unless the winner has a legislative majority, and that doesn't seem likely.

The only question I have is what major avenue will El Peje send his zombies to block when he loses the election.
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
June 30th, 2012 at 8:33:26 PM permalink
I wish the USA would follow Mexico's example and limit presidential terms to one six year term. Maybe knowing they only have one chance to accomplish something and get their legacy set up would motivate the winners more. At least they wouldn't waste 1-1.5 years at the end of their first term trying to get re-elected, like they do here.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 1st, 2012 at 8:00:15 AM permalink
@Toes14...
Followed by a stiff prison term... I vote for two terms :oP
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 11:36:01 AM permalink
In order not to derail the SWD thread (any more):

Paco said

Quote:

It seems like a certain level of post election protests are inevitable, but I hope it doesn't bring the country to a stranglehold.

How do you bring anything to a stranglehold?

Anyway, you can count on López Obrador, or, as I call him, El Principito (which is a gross and wholly undeserved insult to one Mr. de Saint Exupery), to throw a tantrum when he loses. For all that he was Mayor of Mexico City for six years and a presidential candidate twice now (only one more to go, hopefully), his signal accomplishment was to single handedly destroy the people's confidence in the electoral system; his second accomplishment was the current electoral law that does away with fripperies like free speech.

So the question isn't whether El Principito will throw a hissy fit, but what he will destroy with it this time.

Had there been the slightest possibility he would win, I'd have voted today. As it is, I thank the Mexican likely voters for letting me stay in on this cold, damp, gray, rainy excuse for a day...
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 6:18:43 PM permalink
With 0.01% of the vote tallied, Peña Nieto is ahead, followed distantly by El Peje and Josefina bringing up the rear (the 4th doesn't really count; he'll be lucky if his votes add up to more than the total of null and invalid votes)

You can follow developments here:

http://gruporeforma.reforma.com/libre/offlines/prep2012/ife/?pxs=1

Hit "refresh" often. It's all in Spanish.
Nareed
Nareed
July 1st, 2012 at 9:32:44 PM permalink
With 15.61% of the vote in, Peña is ahead of El Principito by about 4 percentage points. Exit polls predict Peña over El Peje by anywhere from 6 yo 8 points.

On the nail-biter, the 4th Candidate, named Quadri if Memory serves, is ahed of the null and invalid votes by under half a percentage point. If he loses that race by one vote, I will regret my decision not to vote today for, oh, maybe 25 seconds :)
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 1st, 2012 at 10:03:28 PM permalink
Nareed, is there full confidence in the democratic process down there? I know social standards we take for granted like the police and post office have some issues and the population knows it (my aunt immigrated from Veracruz and she wouldn't send expensive gifts or small amounts of cash), I'm curious if that extends to politics.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"

• Jump to: