Wellbush
Wellbush
  • Threads: 11
March 23rd, 2021 at 4:16:33 AM permalink
Hi there.

I recently played the free blackjack software on the wizard of odds website.

It seemed strange that the software pulled me up on some of my play, when I was following the same site's recommendations on how to play.

So my play is based on the dealer having a 6-deck continuous shuffling machine. No surrender permitted. No hole card. Can split any pair. Can only double on two-cards totaling 9, 10 or 11.

These are the three scenarios that the software pulled me up on, which seemed to go against the strategy charts on the same website:

1. When I was dealt a two-card total of 11, dealer A, I hit. Message pops up saying odds favour doubling, not hitting. Strategy chart only recommends doubling against dealer 2 through 9, not dealer 10 or A.

2. When I was dealt 3-3, dealer 3, I split. Message popped up: odds favour hitting, not splitting! Strategy chart says when player has 3-3, then split when dealer shows 2 through 7.

3. When I was dealt 8-8 v dealer 10, I hit. Message popped up saying odds favour splitting, not hitting! Strategy chart says player dealt 8-8 is to split on dealer 2 through 9, but hit on dealer 10 or A.

Some clarity on the above would be helpful.
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
March 23rd, 2021 at 4:26:53 AM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

Hi there.
These are the three scenarios that the software pulled me up on, which seemed to go against the strategy charts on the same website:

1. When I was dealt a two-card total of 11, dealer A, I hit. Message pops up saying odds favour doubling, not hitting. Strategy chart only recommends doubling against dealer 2 through 9, not dealer 10 or A.

It's a close decision. Depends on whether dealer stands or hits on soft 17.
For a dealer 10, it depends on whether dealer peeks. If he does, then double on dealer 10

Quote:

2. When I was dealt 3-3, dealer 3, I split. Message popped up: odds favour hitting, not splitting!

Split if Double after split is allowed. hit if it's not.

Quote:

3. When I was dealt 8-8 v dealer 10, I hit. Message popped up saying odds favour splitting, not hitting! Strategy chart says player dealt 8-8 is to split on dealer 2 through 9, but hit on dealer 10 or A.

Split 8's against a 10. You are still likely to lose. Just a bit better than what you'd lose by hitting.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/strategy/calculator/
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Wellbush
Wellbush
  • Threads: 11
March 24th, 2021 at 2:04:20 PM permalink
if dealer hits on soft 17, does this confirm or change any of the 3 scenarios?
All persons reading my posts gamble at their own risk, as I do. I don't ordinarily dispute math. I may dispute math I don't understand, or if I think it's faulty. I am not a conspiracy theorist.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
March 24th, 2021 at 2:07:05 PM permalink
Quote: Wellbush

if dealer hits on soft 17, does this confirm or change any of the 3 scenarios?

See the link in my post and try the setting adjustment.
It does impact question 1.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: