onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 18th, 2016 at 7:02:06 PM permalink
I found a simple sounding domain name I might want to purchase. It's taken, but for sale at a low price of $130, according to godaddy. It's a buy-it-now price, I'm not sure I want to bring attention to it by bidding, and think I should snag it soon. Kind of feel it's not worth underbidding, because whoever is holding it might think twice about the price.

It's a .com domain, but the .uk or .co, is taken and in use. If you're in the idea stage developing an idea of what you want the brand to be ultimately, I'm worried about a trademark suit coming up and forfeiting the address anyway. What's the cheapest, yet most reliable way to be sure you're getting a domain name which won't be stolen from you? What other things do you have to worry about I'm not even aware of?

Have to admit, after even getting a domain, I'm going to be stuck there and at this point, will not have resources or skills to do anything with it past there. I'm just in the idea stage, have a vision, and that's pretty much it. There are probably 4,000 problems ahead, dont know the solutions yet, or even what the problems are. For all I know, it's all been done already, but I think it's a niche.
I am a robot.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 51
December 18th, 2016 at 7:49:25 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I found a simple sounding domain name I might want to purchase. It's taken, but for sale at a low price of $130, according to godaddy. It's a buy-it-now price, I'm not sure I want to bring attention to it by bidding, and think I should snag it soon. Kind of feel it's not worth underbidding, because whoever is holding it might think twice about the price.

It's a .com domain, but the .uk or .co, is taken and in use. If you're in the idea stage developing an idea of what you want the brand to be ultimately, I'm worried about a trademark suit coming up and forfeiting the address anyway. What's the cheapest, yet most reliable way to be sure you're getting a domain name which won't be stolen from you? What other things do you have to worry about I'm not even aware of?

Have to admit, after even getting a domain, I'm going to be stuck there and at this point, will not have resources or skills to do anything with it past there. I'm just in the idea stage, have a vision, and that's pretty much it. There are probably 4,000 problems ahead, dont know the solutions yet, or even what the problems are. For all I know, it's all been done already, but I think it's a niche.

Web Development is my full time business.

If there's a full trademarked term in your domain name, there is no guarantee. It's up to the trademark holder whether or not they want to fight you, and up to you whether or not you want to fight back.

Not to be a downer or discourage you, but what I will say that if your idea requires any kind of custom functionality it will likely be much harder and more expensive to develop than you think.

I get contacted nearly weekly by people who say they have a great idea for "the next Facebook" or something in that regard. They never have money to pay upfront, but always promise I nice percentage once the site hits it big.

The other one I get often is "Your prices are ridiculous. Squarespace is $10/mo and I could do it myself. Didn't you see the superbowl commercial?" I don't respond to those either.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 18th, 2016 at 8:19:13 PM permalink
Hey thanks. No barron of the new economy here, lol. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps to the door, baby steps to the elevator. Love What About Bob? I dont envision any custom functionality, but I might not even know what that means. Personally I dont even think there is a trademark, if so they're dead trademarks. I did this before, got a crazy idea, spent $200 on all these dumb domains, and never did anything at all. I even think they were highjacked, maybe somehow stolen, and had ads there. Didn't say parked, just had ads. Swear, they had ads on how to meet a transvestite. Made no sense with the domain name. Didn't care either way, spent money on something stupid on an impulse, realized it, and gave up. Can't stress this enough how stupid it was, such a rash decision I'm not making this time.
I am a robot.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
December 18th, 2016 at 8:46:41 PM permalink
Custom functionality meaning there's some level of software engineering involved.

Doing something like the WoV site is easy. The functionality is 99% "off the shelf" in that software already exists to do it. All the hard work is done.

Something like a highly custom twitter clone though? The sky could be the limit.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 18th, 2016 at 8:52:01 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Custom functionality meaning there's some level of software engineering involved.

Doing something like the WoV site is easy. The functionality is 99% "off the shelf" in that software already exists to do it. All the hard work is done.

Something like a highly custom twitter clone though? The sky could be the limit.

OK, no, thanks. This site is awesome in my opinion, loads fast, what I was told meant well thought out programming. I see what you mean though, it is pretty simple, but it works.
I am a robot.
OnceDear
Administrator
OnceDear 
Thanks for this post from:
onenickelmiracle
December 19th, 2016 at 12:28:20 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Swear, they had ads on how to meet a transvestite. Made no sense with the domain name.

Probably related to what you had recently been searching for :o)
I could offer a bit of free or low cost help setting something up there. You could just park your own ads there and make a few dollarsm or maybe just use the domain for email.
Beware. The earth is NOT flat. Hit and run is not a winning strategy: Pressing into trends IS not a winning strategy: Progressives are not a winning strategy: Don't Buy It! .Don't even take it for free.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 19th, 2016 at 1:05:50 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Probably related to what you had recently been searching for :o)
I could offer a bit of free or low cost help setting something up there. You could just park your own ads there and make a few dollarsm or maybe just use the domain for email.

Think it was while at the library, so that could be true, just not me personally. Thanks for the offer. We'll see.
I am a robot.
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
onenickelmiracle
December 28th, 2016 at 5:21:06 PM permalink
If you decide to purchase an existing (previously registered) domain name, just remember that you will still have to pay the annual registration fee to keep it. The registrar that I've used for the past 15 years is now up to $15/year for each domain name (and I haven't bothered to price shop.)

If you don't pay the annual registration renewal, the domain name will be released. Random ads will appear when you no longer own the domain name.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
onenickelmiracle
December 28th, 2016 at 7:22:53 PM permalink
I have been registering domains for as long as possible at the current rates as opposed to renewing them yearly. The profit comes in now and it is fire and forget for a very long time...
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
December 29th, 2016 at 12:20:47 AM permalink
Can someone really self-train to become a web developer? Are there free services and sites, and what will you have to pay for no matter what? What kind of timeline does it take etc., etc? What is really useful out there?

If not free self-taught education, what kinds of things are recommended that have fees? What to watch out for, known scams, rip-offs?

Whatever I do, I'm starting to realize it's years away. Fine with that.
I am a robot.

• Jump to: