popeyego7
popeyego7
Joined: Aug 16, 2016
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 20
August 16th, 2016 at 4:54:18 PM permalink
hi:

scenario: lots of promo chips.. the kind which the house takes whether you win or lose, but you keep if a tie. rules are that cash chips can be used to supplement the bet if desired. the question is: if you are dealt an excellent hand, such as as an 11 against a dealer's six, does it make sense to use a real "cash" chip for the double down portion of the bet, which you keep if you win, instead of the promo chip which will be taken after a win??? also, any other ideas for promo chip blackjack betting would be appreciated. thanks
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 28
  • Posts: 1623
August 16th, 2016 at 5:57:33 PM permalink
If you look at freebet Blackjack the principle is that sometimes you have a bet that only pays if you win (in your question a standoff means you get another chance, in freebet you don't). In that game you actually double for real money on soft totals against a six even though it reduces the value of your freebet this is offset by the expected profit on the real money bet. Thus you'd definitely double 11, besides you were probably only planning to take one card in any case.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
August 16th, 2016 at 8:06:36 PM permalink
Quote: popeyego7

hi:

scenario: lots of promo chips.. the kind which the house takes whether you win or lose, but you keep if a tie. rules are that cash chips can be used to supplement the bet if desired. the question is: if you are dealt an excellent hand, such as as an 11 against a dealer's six, does it make sense to use a real "cash" chip for the double down portion of the bet, which you keep if you win, instead of the promo chip which will be taken after a win??? also, any other ideas for promo chip blackjack betting would be appreciated. thanks


You're better off using these types of chips on the player bet in baccarat.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
Joined: Jul 26, 2010
  • Threads: 6
  • Posts: 736
August 16th, 2016 at 9:24:47 PM permalink
Quote: popeyego7

hi:

scenario: lots of promo chips.. the kind which the house takes whether you win or lose, but you keep if a tie. rules are that cash chips can be used to supplement the bet if desired. the question is: if you are dealt an excellent hand, such as as an 11 against a dealer's six, does it make sense to use a real "cash" chip for the double down portion of the bet, which you keep if you win, instead of the promo chip which will be taken after a win??? also, any other ideas for promo chip blackjack betting would be appreciated. thanks



This paper by James Grosjean should help. He uses the abbreviation "FS" for your type of chip, and he gives the value of the FS chip in various games and the blackjack strategy for their use.
popeyego7
popeyego7
Joined: Aug 16, 2016
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 20
August 17th, 2016 at 7:58:59 AM permalink
Thank you
popeyego7
popeyego7
Joined: Aug 16, 2016
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 20
August 17th, 2016 at 8:04:42 AM permalink
to me, it would seem that any situation where the odds swing in the player's favor (11 vs. a dealer 6, for example), should be handled by using a real chip for the second bet...
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5340
August 17th, 2016 at 8:22:05 AM permalink
Quote: popeyego7

to me, it would seem that any situation where the odds swing in the player's favor (11 vs. a dealer 6, for example), should be handled by using a real chip for the second bet...

But why? Without actually diving in to the math, my thoughts off the top of my head are:

1) Isn't the Free Bet chip only worth about half it's value?
2) Isn't the goal to get as much value from the chip as possible?
3) Isn't 11v6 a massive favorite for the bet?

Given the 3 above, I would hold all of my free bet chips and play them exclusively in these scenarios, where I know they come with an advantage, earning me more than ~50% of their face value.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
popeyego7
popeyego7
Joined: Aug 16, 2016
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 20
August 17th, 2016 at 8:42:31 AM permalink
I don't think they are ever worth more than about 50% of their value in blackjack. remember, after the promo chip is played, they take it. on a high odds hand, I think i'd rather bet with a chip that I keep after a win.. so, i'd be forfeiting 1 promo chip to win 2 "real" chips.. as opposed to getting 2 and forfeiting 2.
popeyego7
popeyego7
Joined: Aug 16, 2016
  • Threads: 3
  • Posts: 20
August 17th, 2016 at 8:47:12 AM permalink
thank you
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
August 17th, 2016 at 9:30:56 AM permalink
Again, you're better off betting them on player in baccarat.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!

  • Jump to: