ajemeister
ajemeister
  • Threads: 16
May 1st, 2015 at 7:55:58 AM permalink
I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question, but I wanted to get any advice from those who did (or mike/zuga himself) as to what the usage restrictions of the data contained within this forum and WizardofOdds.com are? Basically I am in the early stages of building a personal android app (that I may/may not release to the app store, haven't decided yet) that will help me brush up on basic strategies of various games including Blackjack and VP as well as implementing capabilities for various count techniques and ability to run simulations given certain rules. I just wanted to confirm that the mathematics discussed on the website are open for fair use, for me to utilize the wizard's calculated basic/advanced strategies into my app to provide myself an easier way of learning what I should/should not do for specific hands.

Half of the reason I'm building the app is to brush up on my own gambling skills, and remember what to do on those questionable hands (most soft hands for me) as well as learn counting practices. The other reason I'm working on this app is basically a resume builder, expanding my current android skills and making a full fledged app myself.

I figure this is something probably better for email/pm, but I also wanted to get any feedback from anyone who has asked a similar question in the past or has utilized some part of this website in their own works.
ajemeister
ajemeister
May 1st, 2015 at 4:09:56 PM permalink
I did some digging on the Terms and Conditions from WizardofOdds, only to find that (part of) it says:

Quote:

We try hard to make sure the information throughout Wizard of Odds is accurate but we make no guarantees. All information on this site is provided without any warranty or guarantee of any kind. (Hey, it's free.) You agree that neither we nor our webmaster are responsible or liable for any loss or harm you may suffer as a result of your using the information you find on this site or in our email newsletter. If you do not agree to this then please do not use the free information provided here.

It sounds like it is "free" information for public use, but I'd still like some clarification from Mike if he minds if I incorporate some of the data from the charts and research he's done on the subject into the back end of my app. I know that the backend is generally not visible easily to users, but I still think it's proper for me to ask for permission before assuming the information here is mine to use to my heart's desire. In no way will I be copying/pasting actual images or paragraphs, just utilizing the data in your explanations in how they affect house odds, and which moves to plug into basic/advanced strategies within the games.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
May 1st, 2015 at 4:12:53 PM permalink
I don't own the sites any longer and am not an attorney. That said, I think as a general rule it is okay to quote in moderation from public sites as long as proper attribution is given. If you plan to quote in a large way for personal profit, then you should seek proper permission in writing.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
ajemeister
ajemeister
May 1st, 2015 at 5:07:12 PM permalink
I'm not that sure that it is quoting, as much as it is similar to what you do on your website with your free games (like https://wizardofodds.com/play/video-poker/single-hand/play.php)

Basically I'll have options that warn or tell player what the best move is in a given situation, which i would have gotten from something like (https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/jacks-or-better/9-6/simple/). I guess pretty much most of the information is public knowledge as it seems like everyone has the same or similar strategies, but I wanted to get someone's take to make sure that I didn't rub anyone the wrong way. I'll be reading and translating the data myself so there'd be no plagarism or any of the like. Let me know your thoughts, as I really appreciate all you and everyone else contribute to the community here
  • Jump to: