10 votes (23.8%)
4 votes (9.52%)

42 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 12th, 2013 at 7:27:37 PM permalink
I think the fiasco with my wife's passport is going to cost me about $50,000 in the form of a new car to recoup my lost husbanding points. It will also help me to survive the upcoming Valentines Day and wife's birthday, which invariably cost me points as well. The question for the poll is which should I buy. To help you cast your vote, here are the specific models under consideration, Consumer Reports rating, and average cost.

Car CR Rating Avg cost
Infiniti G37 Journey 95 37225
Audi A6 3.0T 93 56295
Mercedes E350 Blue Tec 89 57525
BMW 328i 86 43195

Let's assume these are the only choice for the poll. Suggestions to purchase a lower-priced and higher-rated Toyota or Hyundai would be very wise, but not relevant to this poll, as prestige factor is very important.

Suggestion to the other married men on the site -- make sure your wife's passport is good to go.

Finally, if anybody knows of anybody near Vegas with a late-model luxury sedan for sale, I'm all ears to a friendly price.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
January 12th, 2013 at 7:39:32 PM permalink
For prestige, I'd go with the BMW or Mercedes. For reliability, I'd go with the Infiniti. I heard horror stories about the BMWs, Audi's, and Mercedes being unable to take rough roads (cost of repairs will not make you happy). Then again, your Vegas roads seemed to be well-paved Wizard.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 12th, 2013 at 7:45:23 PM permalink
1. Thanks for reaffirming my decision to never get married.

2. The Infinitis are pretty good cars.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 12th, 2013 at 7:53:47 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Suggestion to the other married men on the site -- make sure your wife's passport is good to go.

How is that your responsibility? Or mine. She got it
herself, she can maintain it. My wife isn't responsible
for mine.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 12th, 2013 at 7:55:47 PM permalink
I picked the Inifniti, but don't really know anything about that compared to the Audi.

I've heard bad things about BMW's, and I know that the owner's wife of this motel has a 2008 Mercedes e350 (I don't think it's Bluetec), she bought that new and I bought my 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser used a couple years ago. The point is that I started out with far fewer special features than her vehicle had, but more of mine seem to still work at this point.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 12th, 2013 at 7:57:30 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How is that your responsibility?

I always plan the trips and look after such details. Besides, we recently went to renew my older daughter's passport. My wife suggested I check the other ones to make sure they were good. I said I would, and then completely forgot to. I accepted responsibility to do it, and didn't, so I accept the blame. Of course, everything is my fault anyway, but this time it truly was.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 8:01:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Of course, everything is my fault anyway, but this time it truly was.

I learned years ago not to take responsibility
for anything. Right now my wife is trying to
blame me because she has a leak in her Jeep
tire. I never drive it or ride in it, nice try. Women
only get married so they have somebody to
blame. You think I'm joking.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 12th, 2013 at 8:05:25 PM permalink
"prestige factor is very important" Thats a shame.Is this the keep up with the Jones`s syndrome.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 8:06:13 PM permalink
BMW or Mercedes, but why. I would get a fully
loaded Hyundai Sonata for about $20K. Its a
fantastic car and you can get a pair of them for
what you'll pay for the others and its just as
good a car.

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 12th, 2013 at 8:13:00 PM permalink
Yeah, the passport fiasco is your fault. Go with the infiniti.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 12th, 2013 at 8:13:12 PM permalink

BMW or Mercedes, but why. I would get a fully
loaded Hyundai Sonata for about $20K. Its a
fantastic car and you can get a pair of them for
what you'll pay for the others and its just as
good a car.

ewwww
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 12th, 2013 at 8:18:00 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

ewwww

My Mom has a Silver Sonata, (2011, I think) they're actually quite nice, but the acceleration is somewhat weak for a car that size.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 8:18:15 PM permalink

ewwww

If I took you blindfolded for a ride in a new
Sonata and a BMW, you wouldn't know which
was which. Snootimoblies are a waste of money.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 12th, 2013 at 8:24:00 PM permalink

If I took you blindfolded for a ride in a new
Sonata and a BMW, you wouldn't know which
was which. Snootimoblies are a waste of money.

Maybe if you were driving. If I was driving I guarantee you you would feel the difference. The turbo might be a decent drive (never tried one) but you are not getting one of those for $20k. Anyway, they are automatic-only which is a non-starter for me.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 12th, 2013 at 8:25:48 PM permalink
AND it's front-wheel drive only. Sorry; this is not a real car.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 8:34:34 PM permalink

AND it's front-wheel drive only. Sorry; this is not a real car.

My daughter bought a fully loaded 2011, leather interior.
One of the nicest cars I've ever driven. Quiet as a
Lincoln, tons of power, tons of leg room, drives like
a sports car. It'll last 400,000 miles if you take care
of it.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 12th, 2013 at 8:44:36 PM permalink
Drives like a sports car? Have you ever driven a sports car? First, it's front-wheel-drive. Sports cars are not front wheel drive. It's called "understeer".

Furthermore, the base model has a loose suspension. It's got 200hp which is decent but certainly not "sports car" power unless you have an extremely light car (which this is not)

Sorry, this is a boring mid-sized sedan. As far as boring cars go, it seems decent. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose between a Honda Accord or this, I might choose this. Or I might just grab the gun from them and shoot myself in the head rather than having to drive one of these things every day.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 12th, 2013 at 8:45:57 PM permalink
Bob - Wizard said pretty clearly what the choice is. While it's nice that a lot of people don't want anything more than transportation from their car, that isn't the case here.

If I took you blindfolded for a ride in a new Sonata and a BMW, you wouldn't know which was which. Snootimoblies are a waste of money.

I can tell you which is which if taken blindfolded for a ride in the 2005 3-series and in the 2012 3-series. There is plenty of difference.
Is it worth more money? In your opinion, no. In Wizard's, it is. Or he feels compelled to spend more. Either way, that's the situation.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 8:49:57 PM permalink

Sorry, this is a boring mid-sized sedan. .

I disagree. With cars you don't get what you pay
for in a BMW or Mercedes or Infiniti.
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
January 12th, 2013 at 8:51:35 PM permalink

Drives like a sports car? Have you ever driven a sports car? First, it's front-wheel-drive. Sports cars are not front wheel drive. It's called "understeer".

Furthermore, the base model has a loose suspension. It's got 200hp which is decent but certainly not "sports car" power unless you have an extremely light car (which this is not)

Sorry, this is a boring mid-sized sedan. As far as boring cars go, it seems decent. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose between a Honda Accord or this, I might choose this. Or I might just grab the gun from them and shoot myself in the head rather than having to drive one of these things every day.

First Axiom, you have to remember that this is not about your opinion, what you like or what you would drive. This isn't even about what the Wizard would purchase or drive (which is not only what this thread is about but he also clearly stated that suggestions about Hyundais are not relevant).

This, once again is about Bob, what Bob thinks, what his family does (as if anyone cares) and is obviously trolling and hijacking much like the majority of his posts. For you Axiom to think that your opinion matters here, realize that even the OP's opinion, the Wizard himself, does not matter.

And now, back to the "All about Bob" show.
Happiness is underrated
P90
P90
January 12th, 2013 at 9:00:51 PM permalink
The boon and the fault with Mercedes E-class is that it's so common, familiar and generic that it could as well have a cloaking device.
Get black/gray/silver for extra Romulan points.

"Your car? But I haven't seen you park."
"It happens, I've got a black E-class."
"Oh, right. Which one's yours?"

But, of course, sometimes that's the very point, a dark gray business suit.
If it's not, while I'm of the opinion that 2012's 3-series no longer deserves to be called 3-series... it's a phrase that gets thrown around a lot. It doesn't feel and drive like a new BMW; the driving feel is like an older BMW made out with an E-class to produce this. A little numb and responding as a matter-of-course, not as a driving machine, even though you still feel its legacy in how you get through actual corners.

But it won't bother you if you've never owned a BMW or another performance sedan before. You won't have a point of comparison, and on its own, it stands well. The car itself, as just a car, is pretty good on most counts, and at least it won't make you fall asleep at the wheel like the Merc might. And you aren't likely to regret that puchase, considering that you presumably don't plan on running it for a decade.

Audi A6T is just another Audi, as far as I know. I'm not really into them, so can't say much. Not bad cars either. May well be better than the new 3-series.

I haven't had any first-hand experience with the 2013 G37 - I understand that's the one you are considering. But none of previous G37 was disappointing, especially for someone coming from basic cars and not from rally sedans. It's clearly going to be the most exciting one of the lot; Infiniti G is yet to suffer the senility of BMW.

But I have to say you're not going to get it for $37,000. It's an Infiniti, so it comes fitted like a cheap Nissan, then you'll be nickel-and-dimed - for more like a grand than a dime - for each knob and feature, if you are to bring it to the same level of kit as other cars under your consideration. Someone enthusiastic could consider fitting them aftermarket; still, at least it's not going outside your price range even if you do go liberal with options.

All in all, I've got my pet peeves about Nissans, but if I had to choose out of these four and nothing else, that would be the one I'd go for. For different reasons than others in the thread, perhaps, but still. It's just not facing strong competition in this list.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 12th, 2013 at 9:04:02 PM permalink
I just put my edit over on DT... and the Wiz popped in during post/dbl chk.

The Ariel Atom just dominates at UK29000/US$50G yup, fiddyG, please keep that in mind.

I will repeat my closing point here...

"I am an alien" is just stupid sick over-the-top... or IS IT???

Many thanks to Face for posing the Question, I was seriously gonna go attack-mode if he forgot the Atom, and it earned a respectable 4th, as its too Formula1 looking for most of us on this side of the pond. But, seriously, check out the link, it IS awesome.

For the record I voted G37. A friend of mine has the M variant, and opted up to around $52K.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 9:22:35 PM permalink
Get the Mercedes, they recently launched the mileage
badge program again. It gives you something to live
for.

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 12th, 2013 at 9:31:41 PM permalink
As an owner of a 2013 BMW 328, I wouldn't consider it a luxury sedan. I would classify it more as a performance car. The 328 wins best of class almost every year, but it is based more on handling than on its luxury features. I had an Infinity G35 which was very nice and comfortable, but it doesn't carry the "prestige" factor if that is important to you or your wife. I have never driven an Audi A6, but the A8 sedan is a truly under appreciated car.

Good luck. My only suggestion is that you let your wife make the final decision if it is mainly going to be her car.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
P90
P90
January 12th, 2013 at 9:48:56 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I had an Infinity G35 which was very nice and comfortable, but it doesn't carry the "prestige" factor if that is important to you or your wife.

What century do you live in? It's been very long since that factor was exclusive to Germans.

Today buying a Mercedes says "I earn €NN,NNN/year, PP% of which is the exact price of this Mercedes model, so per company policy that's my car."
Buying an Audi, a BMW, a Lexus, an Infiniti or any other less tired luxury car brand says "I have money, but I also like and know my cars". And with the number of cheap BMWs and Audis around, the luxury image of smaller ones is quite tainted.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 12th, 2013 at 9:58:25 PM permalink
Why the Blue Tec E350? is your wife really comfortable with a diesel engine?

The A6 is a great car, and the 3.0T is a good engine. I'm a fan of VW products, but some people aren't.

The 328i seems to be a step below the rest of these cars. Is there a fatal flaw with the 5 series?

The Infiniti is a great car and it's similar in quality to the Audi and Mercedes without the same cost. I don't fit very well at all in Nissan cars. Be sure to check your knees in the passenger seat.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 10:01:13 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I had an Infinity G35 which was very nice and comfortable, but it doesn't carry the "prestige" factor .

Life is so much better when it doesn't include
a 'prestige factor'. Who gives a crap what other
people think. Why live your life for other people.
iluvdisco33
iluvdisco33
  • Threads: 1
January 12th, 2013 at 10:28:33 PM permalink

I agree. Aside from whether wizard can afford those "prestige" cars or not, all getting one of those does is put more pressure on the family to show off in other areas to relatives and neighbors alike. It's all just a dumb game people play, when keeping up with the Jonses and caring what they think about you is more important than, well, you.

As for which of those cars I'd recommend to a show-off, the only one that can look down at all the others with a turned up nose is the Mercedes. However, it's also a stupid choice. Four months ago my wife's parents both passed away of natural causes within two weeks of each other, and as an only child she got a small inheritance. We needed two new cars and of course we started out looking at the smooth BMW's and Audi's. Both were great cars, but as I researched further I took her to the Hyundai dealer for several test drives. We ended up buying an Equus for her, and I chose the Genesis R-Spec. If you saw the cars we traded in you'd understand why we felt so strange driving new cars, and such nice ones at that.

Bottom line here, Bob is right. These Hyundais are more than superb autos, and either of the two we have are better built, handle better, are quicker & faster, brake better, and to me, look better than any BMW or Audi that we test drove. We didn't look at Infinity. The point is, who needs status when you can enjoy your life driving something that may not turn heads as much, but look and perform a heluva lot better.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2013 at 11:10:12 PM permalink
Quote: iluvdisco33

Bottom line here, Bob is right. These Hyundais are more than superb autos, and either of the two we have are better built, handle better, are quicker & faster, brake better, and to me, look better than any BMW or Audi that we test drove. We didn't look at Infinity. The point is, who needs status when you can enjoy your life driving something that may not turn heads as much, but look and perform a heluva lot better.

I like this new guy who has been here 3 weeks.
I don't know why....
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
January 12th, 2013 at 11:23:12 PM permalink
Thing is, in this new decade of the 21st C., the platform has been raised. We have eco-boost (Ford), Hyundais, that rival cars at fractional cost including astronaut cabin contol systems like some 740's of yore, and performance/luxury that has combined (re: new Caddy commercials) into one blessed element. When Ford and GM get into this, the bar must raise, else epic fail. Given the choices listed, how bout a Mustang, new Camaro, or 'Cuda... I mean looking is looking good.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
January 12th, 2013 at 11:56:59 PM permalink
BMW 328i, but I'm like the 3-series and otherwise I have no real knowledge.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2013 at 12:10:54 AM permalink
Interesting that the poll favors the Japanese over the German
by such a wide margin. I'd take a Jap or Korean car
over the German, those Far East guys are far more anal
retentive and their attention to detail is amazing.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 13th, 2013 at 12:19:12 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

The Ariel Atom just dominates at UK29000/US$50G yup, fiddyG, please keep that in mind.

I plan to buy one of these about a year from now (stupid CA rules mean that you can pretty much only register one to be street-legal on the first day of the year, and I'm not interested in buying one as a track-only car. So I plan to buy one next December and try my luck at registering it on Jan 2 or whenever the DMV is first open in 2014)
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2013 at 12:39:24 AM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

The Ariel Atom

Holy crap, how can you not want one of these. My god..
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
January 13th, 2013 at 12:54:43 AM permalink
Gotta love Top Gear. What an incredible program and the fact that those 3 can still make it entertaining after however many seasons they are up to now (over 15 I think) is remarkable. It's also a pity that the American version is so inferior in every way imaginable to the UK version, and a double pity that I don't get the BBC with my current cable provider. Of course, I can find the episodes online, but it's not the same as channel surfing on a slow night and ending up sitting through a Top Gear marathon.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 13th, 2013 at 2:02:03 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 13th, 2013 at 4:03:01 AM permalink
Thanks for all your comments thus far. They are definitely helping to seal my choice towards the Infinity. Howeer, I'm not the one truly in charge around here. I might add a friend of mine drives an Infiiniti and loves it.

Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Yeah, the hell with an American automobile.

First, a lot of foreign cars, especially Japanese ones, are made here. Second, in my life I've owned 1 Plymouth, 1 Subaru, 3 Toyotas, and 1 Cadillac and the two cars by American-owned companies were the worst two, by far. If it were up to me I'd stick with Japanese without a second thought.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
January 13th, 2013 at 4:55:27 AM permalink
Don't forget that the BMW and Audi come with 4 years of maintenance.
A falling knife has no handle.
toastcmu
toastcmu
January 13th, 2013 at 5:31:21 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Don't forget that the BMW and Audi come with 4 years of maintenance.

I think if the Wizard is going to lease, that would tilt my vote to the Audi or BMW, but since he states he's going to buy, then the long term cost comes into play. I think it boils down to also what Mrs. Wizard appreciates for the interior of the car. The Audi's tend to have the nicest 'looking' interiors in my opinion. Mercedes has gone so button happy these days, and they really haven't updated the E-class that much other than appearance changes. As other's have stated the newest Bmw 3-series is nothing like the BMWs of old. Shoot, they're even considering fwd BMWs!

Best of luck with the purchase! From what I hear, owning a car in Vegas is a crap shoot unless you have a good mechanic anyhow...

-B
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
January 13th, 2013 at 5:33:24 AM permalink
Before I was a bookmaker, I was a quality assurance engineer. For 25 years, I visited automaker facilities.
I know how they operate, how they think, and what type of product they manufacture.

At the top of my list would be: Hyundai, Honda.

Also, it make's no difference to me, but for those who care- Hyundai's and Honda's are
"more American" than anything the Big 3 has in their lineup.

As for the Wizard's poll, I voted Infinity; but a Hyundai Equus is superior to any on the list.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 13th, 2013 at 6:17:09 AM permalink
I picked the Audi. Main reasons are:

1. I've never been huge on Nissans other thant the 240/260/280Z cars. Nissan does weird things with their styling and functions. Some people like them, I just do not.

2. BMWs are overdone anymore. In the 1980s they were a kind of exclusive car. Today there are just too many around to justify the exclusive price.

3. A buddy of mine had an Audi and switched to BMW then back to Audi. I drove his Audi and while I never was big on the German Iron I will say it drove very nice.

4. I just do not like the styling of Mercedes.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 13th, 2013 at 7:33:10 AM permalink
Quote: toastcmu

From what I hear, owning a car in Vegas is a crap shoot unless you have a good mechanic anyhow...

How is it different from anywhere else? Having lived here 12 years, I have had way more than my share of tire punctures, but otherwise I don't notice a difference as far as my cars. I think the tire punctures were from debri resulting from all the construction during the good times. Come to think of it, since 2008 the frequency of them has gone way down.
toastcmu
toastcmu
January 13th, 2013 at 7:52:53 AM permalink
I should've phrased it better. My comment was for the long term maintenance/breakdowns. I view Vegas and DC pretty similar in terms of auto mechanics - both cities tend to have a transient population that was not from the area, so while it's not always the case, there is a high percentage of shops (including dealerships) which tend to charge very high rates and have scrupulous practices. I've had friends here pay dealerships for work done, and I can clearly tell that nothing was done, yet they took their money.

If tire punctures are the most of you're worries, then you're way ahead of the game. Come to think of it, I had to deal with the same few things when I first moved out to where construction was booming at the time...

-B
P90
P90
January 13th, 2013 at 8:01:13 AM permalink
By the way, so why aren't you considering leasing? Hardly anything drops a car's image more than being the previous model. Two generations and it might as well be a Camry. Leasing lets you have a new car every 2-3 years, necessary to maintain its 'prestige factor', with less hassle than selling every time.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 13th, 2013 at 8:18:46 AM permalink
I am a little confused because I don't see any cars made out of tungsten in the poll.???
Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
January 13th, 2013 at 8:26:00 AM permalink
My opinion here isn't worth much, as I've never bought a new car that cost over $23,000. However, since this purchase is being made to placate an unhappy wife, it seems to me that her opinion probably matters most. Wizard, if I were you I'd bring home the brochures on the four cars, see which ones she's leaning towards in terms of asthetics, features, etc. Then arrange test drives for her on the ones she's indicated.

Now if this is going to be a surprise, or if she's leaving it up to you, then you'll need to make a judgment call based on what you know about her preferences and driving habits.

I'll remember the tip on the passports, but won't need it for years, since we are just getting our first passports this month for a family vacation to Playa del Carmen in June. (Previous vactions to Mexico and Jamaica were back before passports were needed to go there.)
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 13th, 2013 at 8:50:08 AM permalink
Quote: P90

By the way, so why aren't you considering leasing? Hardly anything drops a car's image more than being the previous model. Two generations and it might as well be a Camry. Leasing lets you have a new car every 2-3 years, necessary to maintain its 'prestige factor', with less hassle than selling every time.

Leasing is a very expensive way to maintain having a "new" car all of the time. For the average buyer it is not the deal it seems to be. Leasing lets you write off all of the cost of the payment as an expense to offset income. Other than that, you limit your use of the vehicle all to give someone a used car to sell in a few years. I caution anyone I know to buy and not lease.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
iluvdisco33
iluvdisco33
  • Threads: 1
January 13th, 2013 at 9:44:56 AM permalink

I like this new guy who has been here 3 weeks.
I don't know why....

Well Bob, you were 100% right about that Sonata being such a great car at a great price. We looked at and test drove one of those too and would normally have bought it had her parents not left her about $200k. But my wife fell in love with some big 7 or 8 series BMW, and dropped that infatuation immediately when she got behind the wheel of the ultra-luxurious Equus.

What I'm saying is what you're saying, that it's crazy to spend double just because of the brand name and some kind of neighborhood status. These Hyundais are probably better cars than their German counterparts, and at HALF the price with 10 year warranties! With the money we saved, we can pay all our credit cards off, finish off that nagging student loan of hers, and have a nice vacation. Maybe wizard can easily afford one of the German cars, but I think if he gave his wife a gander of one of these new Hyundais she'd react just as my wife did. Common sense is a great part of any equation.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
January 13th, 2013 at 9:54:28 AM permalink
Quote: iluvdisco33

Well Bob, you were 100% right about that Sonata being such a great car at a great price. We looked at and test drove one of those too and would normally have bought it had her parents not left her about $200k. But my wife fell in love with some big 7 or 8 series BMW, and dropped that infatuation immediately when she got behind the wheel of the ultra-luxurious Equus.

What I'm saying is what you're saying, that it's crazy to spend double just because of the brand name and some kind of neighborhood status. These Hyundais are probably better cars than their German counterparts, and at HALF the price with 10 year warranties! With the money we saved, we can pay all our credit cards off, finish off that nagging student loan of hers, and have a nice vacation. Maybe wizard can easily afford one of the German cars, but I think if he gave his wife a gander of one of these new Hyundais she'd react just as my wife did. Common sense is a great part of any equation.

I guess it depends how much you need the money vs how much you care about the finer points of the car.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 13th, 2013 at 10:34:50 AM permalink

I think the Wizard cares. This line is from his original post: "... as prestige factor is very important."
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: