Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 19th, 2014 at 9:04:08 AM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Can you be serious about being agnostic or does the very definition of being agnostic make it impossible to be serious about it?

You'd have to show me a definition of agnostic that can't be taken seriously. I seriously consider myself to be agnostic in acknowledging the existence of a Higher Power/God without accepting the tenets of any organized religion. And I know quite a few people who are of a similar mind.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 19th, 2014 at 9:21:12 AM permalink
Is agnostic the religion of cowards ? Just asking, not starting trouble. I would never do that !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
February 19th, 2014 at 9:37:05 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Is agnostic the religion of cowards ? Just asking, not starting trouble. I would never do that !

I would say agnostic is the religion of those who are not afraid to think for themselves. Rene Descartes (Cogito ergo sum), and all that.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
February 19th, 2014 at 10:37:39 AM permalink
Quote: kubikulann

NO! that's an involuntary compliment for your better insight than his.
I would be outraged if anyone called me anything other than atheist.

It is impossible to be an atheist. That would mean you are an all knowing being, one that knows that there is no all knowing being existing in the universe.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 19th, 2014 at 10:50:02 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

It is impossible to be an atheist. That would mean you are an all knowing being, one that knows that there is no all knowing being existing in the universe.

Atheists reject the idea of a deity. You accept the idea of a deity. Neither knows, but we believe. Same is same.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
February 19th, 2014 at 11:17:18 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Atheists reject the idea of a deity. You accept the idea of a deity. Neither knows, but we believe. Same is same.

The real miracles are changed lives. Ask Lennie's father, a few pages back. (If possible)
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Face
Administrator
Face
February 19th, 2014 at 11:22:33 AM permalink

The real miracles are changed lives. Ask Lennie's father, a few pages back. (If possible)

Like a lost boy falling victim to every drug imaginable, broke, strung out, nearly homeless, totally helpless, on the cusp of death, somehow finding his way back to become an upstanding individual, loving father, and model employee? Like that type of changed life?
Buzzard
Buzzard
February 19th, 2014 at 11:24:04 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Like a lost boy falling victim to every drug imaginable, broke, strung out, nearly homeless, totally helpless, on the cusp of death, somehow finding his way back to become an upstanding individual, loving father, and model employee? Like that type of changed life?

It's a miracle for sure. But I give credit to the man that boy became, not any GOD !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Face
Administrator
Face
February 19th, 2014 at 11:27:55 AM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

Can you be serious about being agnostic or does the very definition of being agnostic make it impossible to be serious about it?

Agnostics do not believe one way or another whether a god or gods exists. However, having that stance can certainly be held strongly.

Agnostics strike me as those "on the fence". That's not a put down, rather, it seems a very logical position to hold. The evidence both for and against a god or gods can certainly look shaky at times, so why cast all your eggs into one or another uncertain basket? You can very strongly say "I don't know" and wish to not be pushed one way or the other.
Buzzard
Buzzard
February 19th, 2014 at 11:30:18 AM permalink
' so why cast all your eggs into one or another uncertain basket?"

Should not the last word in that sentence start with the letter C ?

• Jump to: