Thread Rating:

1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 10th, 2014 at 4:11:09 PM permalink
What do you guys do when Jehova's Witnesses come calling? Insult them? Kick them out? Sic the dogs on them? Once a year they make the trek up the very long driveway to my main residence. When they do I treat them cordially and politely just as I would anyone else. They have always been very nice even after I make it clear that I'm not interested.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
pew
pew
  • Threads: 0
March 10th, 2014 at 4:14:40 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

How?

I treat the claim of a deity the same way I treat claims of astrology, phrenology, numerology, etc. I require evidence for such claims. If any is available, the evidence can be reviewed and assesed.

There are faith-based ideologies with practices approaching religious conventions, complete with dogma, ritual, sins, penance, indulgences, etc. Politics is rife with it. But calling it an atheistic religion misses the point. Religious people may not adhere to a faith or church, but they're not atheists.

I'm sorry I may have misunderstood your question. Atheism is religious in nature because it's a world view and a belief (that our existence doesn't depend on God). Both are religious in nature.
pew
pew
March 10th, 2014 at 4:15:59 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

What do you guys do when Jehova's Witnesses come calling? Insult them? Kick them out? Sic the dogs on them? Once a year they make the trek up the very long driveway to my main residence. When they do I treat them cordially and politely just as I would anyone else. They have always been very nice even after I make it clear that I'm not interested.

Out of love tell them they are wrong.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 10th, 2014 at 5:11:01 PM permalink
Quote: pew

I'm sorry I may have misunderstood your question. Atheism is religious in nature because it's a world view and a belief (that our existence doesn't depend on God). Both are religious in nature.

Not most of the atheists I know (and as you might guess, I know several). For most of us it's not a belief but a conclusion. It's also not a world view. religion provides a world-view, yes, but so does philosophy.

In fact, religion is best understood as a philosophical system, complete with metaphysics, epistemology, ethics and politics. So, while there are different philosophical system not dependent on any deity, atheistic if you wish, these are not religion.

Science, BTW, is a tool, not a philosophy. When people speak of pitting science against religion it's as though they were thinking of race between a car and computer.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pew
pew
March 10th, 2014 at 6:52:41 PM permalink

Not most of the atheists I know (and as you might guess, I know several). For most of us it's not a belief but a conclusion. It's also not a world view. religion provides a world-view, yes, but so does philosophy.

In fact, religion is best understood as a philosophical system, complete with metaphysics, epistemology, ethics and politics. So, while there are different philosophical system not dependent on any deity, atheistic if you wish, these are not religion.

Science, BTW, is a tool, not a philosophy. When people speak of pitting science against religion it's as though they were thinking of race between a car and computer.

I think your definition of religion illustrates exactly my point about atheism being religious. You're welcome to use another word but a rose is a rose. Science is the same for believers and non believers. Water boils at 212- F. at sea level for everyone whether God exists or not. Are you saying you don't have a world view because you are an atheist?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 10th, 2014 at 7:33:32 PM permalink

I think your definition of religion illustrates exactly my point about atheism being religious.

You're starting to sound like an Orthodox Jew who thinks all words mean God.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 10th, 2014 at 7:51:05 PM permalink

I convert them to Atheism.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 186
March 10th, 2014 at 7:51:38 PM permalink

Atheism is religious in nature...

No it isn't. Discussing it might make it seem to be, but in real living it is not an issue at all... just like religion is not a part of the life of most Christians. Atheists pretty much go about life like everyone else, except we don't go to church. Atheism is the absence of religion, without doctrines, without tenets.
NO KILL I
gpac1377
gpac1377
  • Threads: 8
March 10th, 2014 at 7:56:47 PM permalink

You're starting to sound like an Orthodox Jew who thinks all words mean God.

I'll give some background for those who are curious. Pew's second post on the site was in the "There Is No God" thread:

I would like to end this discussion once and for all. It's quite simple. God is an actuality. (you can quote me on that)

Several weeks later, he posted this:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/religion/7360-there-is-no-god/91/#post247327

He was challenged over the next several days, most notably by Face. Here's an example:

Quote: Face

The above is one of two things. Either 1) an atheist sockpuppet purposely trying to make the religious look absurd, or 2) a theist that singlehandedly defines my biggest issue with certain religious persons - close minded arrogance

Basically, pew argues that the scientific consensus is wrong on a variety of issues.

Bottom line: God exists. Oh, and atheism is a religion.
"Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 436
March 10th, 2014 at 8:53:21 PM permalink

What do you guys do when Jehova's Witnesses come calling? .

I had a friend who's wife was sucked into
JW and it took her 8 years to get away
from them. They're a cult and run every
aspect of your life. He finally got sick
of it and told a JW friend of his wifes that
he really enjoyed the oral sex they had.
This is strictly against JW law and she
got 'shunned' for a month and he had
her deprogrammed and she never went
back.

It's like a drug, she still wants to go back
years later but knows it's deadly.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: