2 votes (12.5%)
6 votes (37.5%)

16 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
December 22nd, 2013 at 5:41:14 PM permalink
This thread is a spin-off from "Duck Dynasty"...is our freedom of speech being stifled?. One of the many topics in that thread is whether the president of the LDS (Mormon) Church has the authority/ability to change church doctrine. I would try to move those threads here but they are mixed together with too many other religion-based posts, so I hope we can just start fresh here.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
December 22nd, 2013 at 5:48:16 PM permalink
I think it is pretty clear in my understanding of Mormon Theology (which only comes from rooming with a Mormon in college) that they consider their leaders equivalent to prophets or apostles who can change Church doctrine.

My friend (who was African-American) and I were on the football team and our relationship hit a bad patch when I said that the only reason the Mormons changed their position to allow African-Americans into the Church was so that BYU could be a better football team.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 22nd, 2013 at 6:57:38 PM permalink
The law recognizes religions, though not as fraudulent conspiracies. Supposedly who interprets religious doctrine is not a secular matter at all.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
December 22nd, 2013 at 7:03:21 PM permalink
I voted maybe as I don't think the LDS president by himself can change church doctrine, though may be mistaken on that. Pretty sure any change in doctrine requires a meeting of the quorum of 12 and the first presidency. Though will admit don't know as much about the Mormon Church as I would like.
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
February 7th, 2014 at 1:47:13 PM permalink
If I understand Mormon history, change is perfectly acceptable. In the dawn of Mormonism, for example, drinking alcohol was acceptable; now, it is not. Prohibitions against caffeine have also been loosened. So if these rules can be changed, there's no reason others cannot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 7th, 2014 at 4:11:56 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

I think it is pretty clear in my understanding of Mormon Theology (which only comes from rooming with a Mormon in college) that they consider their leaders equivalent to prophets or apostles who can change Church doctrine.

My friend (who was African-American) and I were on the football team and our relationship hit a bad patch when I said that the only reason the Mormons changed their position to allow African-Americans into the Church was so that BYU could be a better football team.

This is hysterical, not least so because it's probably got at least a grain of truth in it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 7th, 2014 at 5:49:19 PM permalink
Close Babs, very close. Several Churches in the 70's lost their tax-empt status due to be being racist. I worked with a Mormon couple, who could not be married in the Mormon Church. I was in Denver at the time and rumors were flying the Mormom church was next on the IRS hit list. Evidently God heard that rumor too.

In June of 1978, the LDS-owned Deseret News newspaper printed an announcement by the LDS First Presidency stating that God, by revelation, would now allow all worthy male members in the LDS Church to receive the priesthood as well as "blessings of the temple."
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
February 7th, 2014 at 6:44:52 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Close Babs, very close. Several Churches in the 70's lost their tax-empt status due to be being racist. I worked with a Mormon couple, who could not be married in the Mormon Church. I was in Denver at the time and rumors were flying the Mormom church was next on the IRS hit list. Evidently God heard that rumor too.

In June of 1978, the LDS-owned Deseret News newspaper printed an announcement by the LDS First Presidency stating that God, by revelation, would now allow all worthy male members in the LDS Church to receive the priesthood as well as "blessings of the temple."

Correct, the mormon church only chnaged its' doctrine out of fear of having their tax exempt status revokded by the carter regime. The mormons are just like the various chritian denominations, greedy, cowardly, stupid, worthless and evil, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
February 7th, 2014 at 6:55:14 PM permalink
You know your chances of gaining entry into heaven have greatly diminished due to that posting !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
KB1
KB1
  • Threads: 3
February 8th, 2014 at 2:51:15 AM permalink
Quote: hwccdealer

If I understand Mormon history, change is perfectly acceptable. In the dawn of Mormonism, for example, drinking alcohol was acceptable; now, it is not. Prohibitions against caffeine have also been loosened. So if these rules can be changed, there's no reason others cannot.

Back when the Mormon folks were migrating to the west,they drank alcoholic items to help sustain their health as well.Clean drinking water isn't always accessible,and back then they may not have known to boil the water either.In the Christian bible it does not say don't drink alcohol,it says dont be subject to much wine and deacons and pastors should refrain from it(preacher gets drunk and ruins it for everybody).
If it wasn't for booze we would have never made it through that western migrating process.
I assume this is why Mormons shouldn't drink now.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
February 8th, 2014 at 11:03:09 PM permalink
Quote: soxfan

Correct, the mormon church only chnaged its' doctrine out of fear of having their tax exempt status revokded by the carter regime. The mormons are just like the various chritian denominations, greedy, cowardly, stupid, worthless and evil, hey hey.

They are also the reason Boy Scouts banned gays. Up until the 1970s BSA allowed gays (and even said it was not authorized to have leaders tell scouts live their personal life), but then LDS became their biggest donor, under the stipulation that they ban gays and it is still the case (I don't know if they are still the top donor but they are up there).

But I don't think they are evil or even greedy. They donate to all sorts of things and even have massive welfare programs for their members. And all the Mormon I have met have been super nice. But I do think they have absurd social rules ( even if I were a religious person I could never be a Mormon as everything I enjoy doing is banned).
Tanko
Tanko
February 8th, 2014 at 11:40:47 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

One of the many topics in that thread is whether the president of the LDS (Mormon) Church has the authority/ability to change church doctrine.

According to this information, changing Doctrine is on every occasion a three step process that requires the approval of the First Presidency, which is the Prophet and his two counselors, and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and then the acceptance in a sustaining vote of the entire membership.

Doctrine
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 9th, 2014 at 12:17:57 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

According to this information, changing Doctrine is on every occasion a three step process that requires the approval of the First Presidency, which is the Prophet and his two counselors, and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and then the acceptance in a sustaining vote of the entire membership.

Doctrine

Unfortunately, the guy who spawned this debate won't believe that. He likes to pick and choose his facts. *facepalm*
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Tanko
Tanko
February 9th, 2014 at 8:00:28 AM permalink
South Park
Twirdman
Twirdman
February 9th, 2014 at 8:36:08 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Doctrine

Unfortunately, the guy who spawned this debate won't believe that. He likes to pick and choose his facts. *facepalm*

What the hell are you talking about that is basically the exact process I said was needed to change doctrine. I'll admit I didn't know that they needed a vote of the entire membership but I said First president and then the Quorum of Twelve. You argued that it could not be changed at all which is plainly wrong.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 9th, 2014 at 8:40:40 AM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

You argued that it could not be changed at all which is plainly wrong.

LOL!

More lies. *facepalm*
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 9th, 2014 at 8:48:49 AM permalink

LOL!

More lies. *facepalm*

You have room for growth in the emotional maturity aspect. Why even waste your time with this type of thing?
I am a robot.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 9th, 2014 at 8:50:29 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

You have room for growth in the emotional maturity aspect. Why even waste your time with this type of thing?

I've read some of your own posts. How's the view from that glass house?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 9th, 2014 at 8:57:00 AM permalink

I've read some of your own posts. How's the view from that glass house?

Refer back to previous statement.
I am a robot.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 9th, 2014 at 8:58:46 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Refer back to previous statement.

And refer back to mine. Thank you!

BTW, did onenickelmiracle even read the whole "Duck Dynasty" thread???? It's hilarious how he states that I have "room for growth in the emotional maturity aspect", yet I was more patient in that thread than any other WoV member would have been. In that insane debate, I watched as the instigator continually switched subjects going from Duck Dynasty.....TO gay marriage.....TO interracial marriage.....TO Brigham Young.....TO Mormon Doctrine.....TO Catholic Doctrine.....TO abortion!!

Yes, we somehow got to abortion from Duck Dynasty!?!?! And it's all because I tried having an honest, legitimate debate (which most members would NOT have done with that particular person especially after all the subject changes).

So before guys like onenickelmiracle spout off about someone, they should read all the background posts to put everything into context.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
February 9th, 2014 at 9:55:01 AM permalink

Doctrine

I believe Tanko to be correct…..I would only add that garments must be removed when changing doctrine.
Each day is better than the next
  • Jump to: