Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
December 19th, 2013 at 11:37:59 AM permalink
Have you guys seen the news about Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson (the "dad") who said that bestiality and being gay are similar sins.......

My wife wanted to have him hanged, I felt he has very deep religious beliefs.....why should he not be allowed to express how he feels?

Any comments, if you care?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
December 19th, 2013 at 11:45:59 AM permalink
He can generally express how he feels, as long as it doesn't wander into the realm of hate.

But A&E doesn't have to pay him or give him a platform from which to share those beliefs. If they feel his words will hurt their image, it's well within their rights to shut it down.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
December 19th, 2013 at 11:47:25 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Have you guys seen the news about Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson (the "dad") who said that bestiality and being gay are similar sins.......

My wife wanted to have him hanged, I felt he has very deep religious beliefs.....why should he not be allowed to express how he feels?

Any comments, if you care?

He is allowed to express these views, that does not mean A&E has to provide him a nationally broadcasted show. You have a right to free speech you don't have a right to a national audience.
Tomspur
Tomspur
December 19th, 2013 at 11:50:45 AM permalink
Well I agree but remember he made the comments in a GQ interview, not on the A&E broadcast show.

I feel like there was no hate involved in his statement, he didn't even compare the two, he also didn't say that one will lead to another, he simply classed them as a similar sin.

There are people daily who make crazy statements in the name of religion. I understand that this guy has a national audience but he has never hidden away how he feels about religion or what his beliefs are. That is what possibly makes the show so popular?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 19th, 2013 at 11:59:36 AM permalink
He can say what he wants, it's a free country.
He wasn't bashing Gay's, simple stating the
position of his religion. Christian's don't support
a Gay lifestyle, this is news?

He'll be back before he goes anywhere. They
aren't filming right now, this will all blow over
by the time they do, and even more people
will be watching.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
December 19th, 2013 at 12:00:22 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

But A&E doesn't have to pay him or give him a platform from which to share those beliefs. If they feel his words will hurt their image, it's well within their rights to shut it down.

Quote: Twirdman

He is allowed to express these views, that does not mean A&E has to provide him a nationally broadcasted show. You have a right to free speech you don't have a right to a national audience.

This may be true, but I find it interesting that many of the people who say this in response to Robertson are the same ones who are curiously silent when the situation is reversed.

For example, if Robertson had gotten suspended for expressing a PRO-gay viewpoint, does anybody honestly believe that liberals would be using the "A&E doesn't have to give him a show!!" argument???
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Tomspur
Tomspur
December 19th, 2013 at 12:01:46 PM permalink
Yeah I agree, I posted the reverse hypothesis to my missus too....now I'm sleeping outside tonight :)
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
December 19th, 2013 at 12:03:16 PM permalink
Placing items into the same class IS comparing them. That determination can only be made by comparison, otherwise it would serve no purpose.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
December 19th, 2013 at 12:06:38 PM permalink
"Robertson is a character in a reality show. He’s not a spokesman for A&E any more than some soul-sucking social x-ray from the Real Housewives series is a spokeswoman for Bravo. Is he being fired for being out of character? Nah. He’s being fired for staying in character – a character A&E have nurtured and promoted and benefited from. Turning around and demanding a Duck Dynasty star suddenly become the equivalent of a Rachel Maddow guest is preposterous and unfair."

-Andrew Sullivan.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 12:10:36 PM permalink
That's from Andrew Sullivan? Wow. Since I always like to give credit where credit is due, I gotta give Sullivan props for being consistent on this one.
Twirdman
Twirdman
December 19th, 2013 at 12:12:59 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

This may be true, but I find it interesting that many of the people who say this in response to Robertson are the same ones who are curiously silent when the situation is reversed.

For example, if Robertson had gotten suspended for expressing a PRO-gay viewpoint, does anybody honestly believe that liberals would be using the "A&E doesn't have to give him a show!!" argument???

Yes you don't have to broadcast someone if their views differ from your own. I would probably boycott the station as it is the right of people who disagree with this decision to boycott the station, but it is most definitely within their right to do it.

Though I find it incredibly disingenuous to compare pro and anti gay rhetoric. one side is saying to treat them like human beings the other is basically saying they are scum. As such one leads to gays having amongst the highest suicide rate of any group and as such is demonstrably bad. I mean look at it this way if someone said blacks are little more than primitive animals and was fired most people would accept it. If another person was fired for say blacks are human beings deserving of respect and was fired for it people would probably object, though in both cases it is still the networks choice. So if it is wrong to say any race is inferior why to people who say gays are inferior get a pass. Both are bigots who shouldn't get a national audience.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 12:15:13 PM permalink

Though I find it incredibly disingenuous to compare pro and anti gay rhetoric. one side is saying to treat them like human beings the other is basically saying they are scum.

One word: *FACEPALM*
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
December 19th, 2013 at 12:16:52 PM permalink
It's a stupid, ignorant, wrongheaded thing to say, but he has every right to say it. And A&E has every right to take away his platform for broadcasting it to millions of Americans.

I just kind of roll my eyes when I see people getting outraged about this story. A self-proclaimed redneck has anti-gay views? SHOCKING!
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Twirdman
Twirdman
December 19th, 2013 at 12:22:49 PM permalink

Though I find it incredibly disingenuous to compare pro and anti gay rhetoric. one side is saying to treat them like human beings the other is basically saying they are scum.

One word: *FACEPALM*

What did I say that was wrong. Most of the anti gay rhetoric is saying gays aren't as good as straights. Hes said acceptance of homosexuality is the same as acceptance of beastiality as though the two are comparable acts. And don't give me the crap of well they're both sins. No one with a functioning brain says accepting the occasional lie is the same as acceptance of murder yet they are both sins.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 12:25:12 PM permalink

Most of the anti gay rhetoric is saying gays aren't as good as straights.

Oh boy...

EvenBob
EvenBob
December 19th, 2013 at 12:25:54 PM permalink

He's said acceptance of homosexuality is the same as acceptance of beastiality as though the two are comparable acts.

In the Bible they are, and that's what his reference
is.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 19th, 2013 at 12:29:34 PM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

He can generally express how he feels, as long as it doesn't wander into the realm of hate.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. End thread.

Okay, so what I mean is, I'm going to block this thread :).
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 19th, 2013 at 12:33:20 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

In the Bible they are, and that's what his reference
is.

Of course, a layperson calling another layperson a sinner is also a sin. So, you know, Phil may as well just go screw a duck now. He's already on the same level as the gays...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 19th, 2013 at 12:38:26 PM permalink
Remember when Sam Kineson got in trouble for
bashing Gay's? I won't won't link to it, but there's
some pretty funny stuff on Youtube. They tried
to get his albums recalled and boycotted his
appearances. Now that was bashing. What Robertson
did is not.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
December 19th, 2013 at 12:40:36 PM permalink
The real question is if Mr. Duck came onto a thread here, would he click the "I'm a bigot" option?
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 19th, 2013 at 12:44:58 PM permalink
I refuse to watch any show where the main characters have a southern and or hick accent. Drives me crazy.
Each day is better than the next
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
December 19th, 2013 at 1:07:05 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

I refuse to watch any show where the main characters have a southern and or hick accent. Drives me crazy.

Would you rather watch Caribou Barbie spout off her incomprehensible verbal diarrhea?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 19th, 2013 at 1:08:05 PM permalink
I think anybody angry over this should be equally angry about the bible and Christianity.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 19th, 2013 at 1:13:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I think anybody angry over this should be equally angry about the bible and Christianity.

Angry about beliefs they had a couple thousand
years ago? They didn't know any better.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 19th, 2013 at 1:13:32 PM permalink

More campaigns to go after adulterers and get them off TV. Keep them out businesses and hotels. Not enough going on in that department with people who don't like sins.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
December 19th, 2013 at 1:15:03 PM permalink
...also single people fornicating and living together.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
December 19th, 2013 at 1:34:54 PM permalink

That's from Andrew Sullivan? Wow. Since I always like to give credit where credit is due, I gotta give Sullivan props for being consistent on this one.

It's typically more entertaining to read a pundit criticize their "own side." For example, when Bush was president I appreciated reading conservative George Will or Charles Krauthammer denounce a misguided Bush policy. And by the same logic, these days I enjoy reading a liberal like Paul Krugman complain about Obama.

When Michael Moore bitched about Bush or when Ann Coulter bitches about Obama it just gets tedious and predictable.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 19th, 2013 at 2:01:17 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

It's a stupid, ignorant, wrongheaded thing to say, but he has every right to say it. And A&E has every right to take away his platform for broadcasting it to millions of Americans.

I just kind of roll my eyes when I see people getting outraged about this story. A self-proclaimed redneck has anti-gay views? SHOCKING!

+100
Exactly. Totally agree
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
LarryS
LarryS
December 19th, 2013 at 2:12:17 PM permalink
It has nothing to do withthe station and more to do with the companies that pay for advertising to the station. Gay money spends just as good as heterosexual money..and the loss of gay money buying products hurts the company buying advert time.

So if you had a shoe store in a neighborhoold that had gay patrons, and a regular worker of yours writes an editorial for the local newspaper that compares homosexuality to beastiality.......ya think you as the store owner would be proud of him and point to free speach, and allow him to continue serving a community with gay people? Even if it means loss of business. Do you maintain a cavalier attitude that its his right to say whatever he wants, and the gay people, and friends and relatives of gay people should just lighten up.

thats all A&E is doing. They are doing what any individual sotre owner would do to protect their income and preserve their patrons. The patrons of A&E are the advertisers....and the patrons of the advertisers include gay people.

without patrons..the advertisers dont exisist, and without advertisers A&E dont exist.
Kickass
Kickass
  • Threads: 11
December 19th, 2013 at 2:19:35 PM permalink
Yes, we have freedom of speech in our Constitution. But not all speech is protected by it. See http://www.freedomforum.org/packages/first/curricula/educationforfreedom/supportpages/L04-LimitsFreedomSpeech.htm
Leave Katie alone. Rasul: Or what? Or I come back and break your F** legs
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
December 19th, 2013 at 2:23:09 PM permalink
The man is a died in the wool redneck. What the hell did they expect him say? If they don't let him back on I'll boycott.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
rxwine
rxwine
December 19th, 2013 at 2:27:16 PM permalink
The guy signed a contract. We don't know what he signed up for with what limitations? If he violated his contract he is in the wrong. Or the lawyers will fight it out to decide.

The show is edited the way A&E wants it, I presume even if unscripted. I assume someone cuts out stuff they don't want on the air that may be deemed too controversial.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 3:40:25 PM permalink
Quote: Kickass

Yes, we have freedom of speech in our Constitution. But not all speech is protected by it. See http://www.freedomforum.org/packages/first/curricula/educationforfreedom/supportpages/L04-LimitsFreedomSpeech.htm

Again, nobody disagrees. I just find it very curious that liberals love to point out that "not all speech is protected" whenever anyone says something that they dislike, but when the tables are turned this entire argument goes out the window. Very few liberals are intellectually honest enough to admit this.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
December 19th, 2013 at 3:43:55 PM permalink

+1
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
December 19th, 2013 at 3:57:18 PM permalink
Line me up with Phil.

If a man looks at another mans hairy ass and finds lust, fine. Just don't tell me I'm the one with the problem.
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
December 19th, 2013 at 3:59:53 PM permalink

Why? The Pope was named Man of the Year because he can present the teachings of Christ and the Bible in a loving and kind way, which is what Jesus would want us to do. As many have already said on this thread - I don't think it is a surprise to people that Papa Duck thinks homosexual acts are a sin, not do I think people are surprised or upset that Papa Francis does. What people are rightfully upset about is the crass and vulgar way Robertson spoke.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
December 19th, 2013 at 4:00:27 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Line me up with Phil.

If a man looks at another mans hairy ass and finds lust, fine. Just don't tell me I'm the one with the problem.

It's not a 0 sum game. Neither of you have a problem.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
December 19th, 2013 at 4:06:56 PM permalink
Right answer.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 19th, 2013 at 4:13:52 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

If a man looks at another mans hairy ass and finds lust, fine.

I'm not defending Gay's, but I've known a lot
of them over the years. Assuming they all
have anal sex in not even close to being true.
Many of them don't like it and never do it.
It's too bad they're all branded with that
misconception.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/not-all-gay-men-have-anal-sex
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
December 19th, 2013 at 4:29:29 PM permalink
Gee, thanks.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
December 19th, 2013 at 4:56:38 PM permalink
I'm not sure why A&E seems so taken aback by these comments--they knew all about these people and created a franchise around them. They make it seem like they had no idea that Phil had strong religious beliefs that might offend some people. A&E was all in for the money; once someone threatened that by objecting to his positions, they bailed.

He has every right to speak freely. A&E has every right to control who is on their programming.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 5:01:56 PM permalink
Hundreds Of Thousands Support Boycotting A&E Following ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star’s Suspension

If this is indeed true, maybe conservatives are finally starting to realize that they need to start using the same tactics as liberals.

This is a good sign too:

'Duck Dynasty' Sponsor -- We Stand Behind Phil
terapined
terapined
December 19th, 2013 at 5:09:59 PM permalink

Again, nobody disagrees. I just find it very curious that liberals love to point out that "not all speech is protected" whenever anyone says something that they dislike, but when the tables are turned this entire argument goes out the window. Very few liberals are intellectually honest enough to admit this.

Give me a break. Give me an example of somebody on the left saying something incredibly stupid. I am sure there are plenty of examples.
You say something stupid and there are consequences. How is this a lib or conservative issue?
Its a common sense issue. Lets take Martin Bashir, boy am I glad that clown is gone. Happy? Actually his case is worse but somewhat similar to Robertson.
You say something stupid regardless of being on the left or right, there may be consequences if you are a TV personality.
I loved the Smothers Brothers, CBS is a private company. A and E is a private company. These are private company decisions. CBS and A and E are private companies that have the right to determine what they broadcast.
This isn't a left right issue, its a private company making a decision.
You don't like the decision, don't watch A and E. That's the bottom line.
Geez, cant believe you are defending this clown Robertson. You watch this clown? Why is he on TV? What's the attraction?
*facepalm* Get out of the foxnews twilight zone, its not a lib vs conservative world, its a world of billions of unique individuals with billions of different views.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 5:24:58 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Give me an example of somebody on the left saying something incredibly stupid.

Do you also need examples to prove that the sky is blue?

These are private company decisions. CBS and A and E are private companies that have the right to determine what they broadcast.
This isn't a left right issue, its a private company making a decision.
You don't like the decision, don't watch A and E. That's the bottom line.
Geez, cant believe you are defending this clown Robertson.

I'm not defending anybody. I'm just trying to understand liberal logic. This is no different from the way you always question polls you don't like.

Pro-Obama polls? You're silent.
Pro-Democrat polls? You're silent.
Pro-gay polls? You're silent.
Pro-Hillary polls? You're silent.

Pro-Republican polls? That's when you speak out!!! LOL

The same thing is happening with this "Duck Dynasty" suspension.
A&E suspends Phil Robertson: You defend the rights of private businesses.
Restaurants who refuse to serve [insert group here]: You want to sue private businesses!!!!!

You're a cool guy and all, but you're always twisting yourself into a pretzel to accommodate your contradictory views.
LarryS
LarryS
December 19th, 2013 at 5:39:04 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I'm not sure why A&E seems so taken aback by these comments--they knew all about these people and created a franchise around them. They make it seem like they had no idea that Phil had strong religious beliefs that might offend some people. A&E was all in for the money; once someone threatened that by objecting to his positions, they bailed.

He has every right to speak freely. A&E has every right to control who is on their programming.

Again its not A&E thats up in arms because of the comment. A&E is up in arms because their advertisers are pissed because some of the people who buy the advertisers products are pissed. Its not just gay people that stand to stop buying their products. Its the friends and reatives of gay people. Its the people who have no personal gay friends /relatives but sympathize with their plight. Its alot of people that were ticked off.

So if yo ask why A&E is all up in arms? Because all their customers(sponsors) are up in arms.
terapined
terapined
December 19th, 2013 at 5:41:58 PM permalink
I don't believe a single poll out there. They are all BS.
Sometimes I speak up, sometimes, why speak up, its like talking to a brick wall of poll believers.

You(B9) and AZ, as soon as something anti conservative pops up on this board, you guys are on top of it like white on rice.
I'm not like that, I see something I disagree with, I may let it slide. Life is too short to live on this board. A lot of other stuff to do and enjoy in life then post.

How about a bet since you have such a complete trust in polls.
Arizona is number 1 in both polls NCAA Mens Basketball.
You take Arizona , I take the rest of the field.
20 bucks.
Arizona, number 1 in both polls right now, wins the March Madness tournament, I pay you 20.
Somebody else wins, you pay me 20.
Deal?
if so we gotta move this to a new thread. Talk about a thread hijacking lol
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 5:57:51 PM permalink

I see something I disagree with, I may let it slide.

That's the problem, you never disagree with pro-Obama, pro-Hillary, pro-Democrat, pro-gay polls...so you let all of them slide. lol

How about a bet since you have such a complete trust in polls.
Arizona is number 1 in both polls NCAA Mens Basketball.
You take Arizona , I take the rest of the field.
20 bucks.
Arizona, number 1 in both polls right now, wins the March Madness tournament, I pay you 20.
Somebody else wins, you pay me 20.
Deal?

Now you're just being like s2dbaker, man. The only thing those have in common with political polls is that they are both called 'polls'. Those sports polls aren't scientific at all. Not only that, they have no influence whatsoever on the outcome of a sporting event.

Your false comparison deserves another:

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 6:00:01 PM permalink

Geez, cant believe you are defending this clown Robertson. You watch this clown? Why is he on TV? What's the attraction?

BTW, what if Phil Robertson said this to a gay kid at his church:

"The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it."

Do you consider this offensive??
Twirdman
Twirdman
December 19th, 2013 at 6:07:32 PM permalink

Hundreds Of Thousands Support Boycotting A&E Following ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star’s Suspension

If this is indeed true, maybe conservatives are finally starting to realize that they need to start using the same tactics as liberals.

This is a good sign too:

'Duck Dynasty' Sponsor -- We Stand Behind Phil

Are you kidding the right has been doing it for years. They boycotted JC Penny for having Ellen DeGeneres as a spokesman, they boycott plenty of channels for showing things they disagree with, and they've boycotted stores for saying happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas. The left also do it most notably against Rush Limbaugh. Don't pretend that the right has just been silently sitting back so long and finally broke they constantly do things to gain influence and that is their perogative.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 19th, 2013 at 6:09:44 PM permalink
I was waiting for this. The Robertson fam just
announced that they won't be continuing without
Phil. Which means A&E is doing massive butt
kissing as I write this. Word is they've already
been offered way more money from another
network.
  • Jump to: