ShepherdDon
ShepherdDon
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 15
December 1st, 2011 at 6:26:24 AM permalink
Here's a recently published report on Southland Park in West Memphis:



Don
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 312
  • Posts: 8647
December 1st, 2011 at 6:49:58 AM permalink
bad link I think. Knowing yahoo, you are probably trying make a link to something that you yourself have to be signed into from your account.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ShepherdDon
ShepherdDon
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 15
December 2nd, 2011 at 5:42:39 AM permalink
I see what you mean. I couldn't link using it. I edited it and redid the link. Still didn't work. I cut it and pasted it into the address line and it worked fine. I'll put it again here and try it.


Cutting and pasting does work, however.

Sorry for the problem.

Don

Addendum: I just went and looked at some of the other posts I've made and the links aren't working in them, either??????
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7115
December 2nd, 2011 at 11:06:19 AM permalink
Quote: The cited article

In the center of the casino are 10 blackjack tables where dealers actively deal the game.


That sentence certainly sounds as if live dealers are actually dealing cards. I didn't think that was allowed in Arkansas. What is the real situation there?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 312
  • Posts: 8647
December 2nd, 2011 at 1:49:53 PM permalink
Quote: ShepherdDon

I just went and looked at some of the other posts I've made and the links aren't working in them, either??????



If you mean they are good links but you want them to hyperlink, at the bottom of the box where you are composing your post there is a link for formatting codes. If you don't quite 'get it' you can hit the 'quote' icon and see how I did it with yours.

Hyperlink

Quote: Doc

That sentence certainly sounds as if live dealers are actually dealing cards. I didn't think that was allowed in Arkansas. What is the real situation there?



I also am quite surprised.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
Joined: May 5, 2010
  • Threads: 32
  • Posts: 1573
December 4th, 2011 at 12:04:28 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

That sentence certainly sounds as if live dealers are actually dealing cards. I didn't think that was allowed in Arkansas. What is the real situation there?



I am down in Tunica now, but won't make it out that way... but when I was there in the past they have electronic tables, but unlike Indiana Live! or even the iTables, the dealers pay out in cheques and hit buttons for the player to make the decisions. Of course, they don't have to hit for their own hand, the computer does that.

While "actively" may be a bit of misnomer, they do more than the dealers on the iTables (IMHO) and those silly eTables in Indiana.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7115
January 24th, 2012 at 7:39:11 PM permalink
Reviving this thread to ask whether anyone else has seen this casino lately. Here is a quote from their web site:

Quote: Southland Park Web site (www.southlandgreyhound.com)

Southland Park Gaming and Racing has some of the most exciting table game action you'll find anywhere! Blackjack tables staffed with the friendliest dealers around open at 10am every day for your gaming pleasure! In addition to these action-packed options, enthusiasts will also be happy to roll the dice at our fun-filled craps games and take a spin at our roulette games igniting the floor on a daily basis! Combine all this with our Let it Ride and 3-Card Poker gaming options, and all your gaming desires are exactly where you want them.


So can anyone tell me whether the "roll the dice at our fun-filled craps games" means players take turns rolling two genuine cubes down a table, or are they just watching a video display and dreaming about the real thing? The promos on the site also refer to "real cards"; does that mean physical pieces of paper/plastic that get distributed on a felt or "real" images on a screen?

If these descriptions are genuine rather than totally misleading, has the law changed dramatically in Arkansas?

I have tentative plans to make a loop trip around Louisiana some time in February to visit the almost-a-dozen casinos (with table games) I haven't yet been to there (and collect my souvenir chips), and I'm trying to decide whether to take a route home via Memphis to check out Southland Park. The direct route from Shreveport to Charlotte would take me through Atlanta, but Memphis would not be an outrageous detour, provided there is something of interest there.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 312
  • Posts: 8647
January 25th, 2012 at 6:20:34 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

So can anyone tell me whether the "roll the dice at our fun-filled craps games" means players take turns rolling two genuine cubes down a table, or are they just watching a video display and dreaming about the real thing? The promos on the site also refer to "real cards"; does that mean physical pieces of paper/plastic that get distributed on a felt or "real" images on a screen?

If these descriptions are genuine rather than totally misleading, has the law changed dramatically in Arkansas?

I have tentative plans to make a loop trip around Louisiana some time in February to visit the almost-a-dozen casinos (with table games) I haven't yet been to there (and collect my souvenir chips), and I'm trying to decide whether to take a route home via Memphis to check out Southland Park. The direct route from Shreveport to Charlotte would take me through Atlanta, but Memphis would not be an outrageous detour, provided there is something of interest there.



I agree it is quite a mystery about the table games at this place. One place in Arkansas gets to have them? Even if some kind of video play that somehow still fits the description, this might be a response to the competition from Tunica. You would do us a service if you checked it out and report back! My guess is the place stinks, but you could just head over to Tunica, less than an hour away according to google maps.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
January 25th, 2012 at 7:18:42 AM permalink
Oaklawn's website is a bit more specific - real dealers, real chips, video cards. It's probably safe to assume that Southland Park has the same set-up.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
Joined: Feb 27, 2010
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 7115
January 25th, 2012 at 9:42:37 AM permalink
I have played the live-dealer, chips, and video-image-cards version of blackjack at Harrah's Cherokee. Once, and I don't plan to return. The more I look into this, the more I suspect that there are no "real" cards, player-rolled dice, or roulette wheels at Southland Park, no matter how real their ads and web site may claim these are. Same for their "poker room." I'm not a poker player, but its hard to imagine that poker enthusiasts would get very excited playing a Texas Hold-em cash game or tournament with their cards showing on a video screen. Or do they?

odious: I have been to the Tunica casinos a number of times, and it is possible that I would stop there again on my upcoming trip, but I don't have definite plans for that. When I have been in the Tunica area, I have seen billboards advertising Southland Park and promoting it as closer and more convenient to the Memphis area than Tunica is. If I do get to Southland Park, I will certainly let folks here know what I find, but I was hoping someone in this forum had been there recently enough to say what's real and what's a ruse so that I could plan the trip a little better in advance.

  • Jump to: