darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11544
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
January 11th, 2014 at 7:21:46 PM permalink
As you may know the casino went union in November.

December first, the casino did the following ALL ON THE SAME DAY:

Raised the buffet from $25 to $44

Eliminated all food comps(I mean all--every player received a monthly offer of $5-150 depending on their status since they opened and suddenly not one player in the entire casino gets any food comps.)

created a new rule barring minors from anywhere on the property--previously you could bring your children to the food court and buffet which even had a children's price!

eliminated all senior citizen specials including any discounts on the buffet.

As a result, you can imagine the buffet had an enormous drop-off in business. Two days ago, the casino announced the buffet was indefinitely closed due to lack of business.

170 employees were laid off in a single stroke(coincidentally saving them millions a year in wages and union plans/benefits). HMMM!

Prior to this, the casino began charging for the free soft-drinks to patrons while gambling--four dollars a cup!!! The serving girls were crying some of them worked for eight hours and received three dollars in tips.

They complained to the union and the union forced the casino to go back to what they had been doing prior to the union contract.

However the buffet has fallen victim so far.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6814
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
January 11th, 2014 at 7:47:20 PM permalink
Damn arbitrator. Picking on that poor corporation ! Rather than open its books, Genting conceded that it could pay higher wages.

Resorts World, the highest grossing slot machine parlor in the country.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
  • Posts: 465
Joined: Dec 8, 2009
January 11th, 2014 at 7:58:03 PM permalink
Guessing Genting does not have much Union trouble in its home arena.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
  • Posts: 3321
Joined: May 14, 2012
January 11th, 2014 at 8:14:48 PM permalink
Isn't Resorts World basically printing money at this point? Greed is the only explanation.
Deck007
Deck007
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 344
Joined: Mar 3, 2014
March 4th, 2014 at 7:38:53 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Damn arbitrator. Picking on that poor corporation ! Rather than open its books, Genting conceded that it could pay higher wages.

Resorts World, the highest grossing slot machine parlor in the country.



I don't know how you can say poor corporation and the highest grossing slot machine parlor in the country at the same time. This was one decision that

Genting made.

They must be shock at what the arbitrator did to them. Would they be better of opening their books?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
  • Posts: 14267
Joined: May 21, 2013
March 5th, 2014 at 12:44:59 AM permalink
Quote: Deck007

I don't know how you can say poor corporation and the highest grossing slot machine parlor in the country at the same time. This was one decision that

Genting made.

They must be shock at what the arbitrator did to them. Would they be better of opening their books?



Buzz was being sarcastic. He was a Union representative in a past life, as was I.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 1200
Joined: Apr 22, 2013
March 5th, 2014 at 4:37:03 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

As a result, you can imagine the buffet had an enormous drop-off in business. Two days ago, the casino announced the buffet was indefinitely closed due to lack of business.

170 employees were laid off in a single stroke(coincidentally saving them millions a year in wages and union plans/benefits). HMMM!




That buffet was bleeding money from day one.

No doubt, RW made the workers aware of this prior to their vote on unionization.

They evidently thought RW was bluffing.

There were less than a dozen customers at the buffet the last time I visited.

Their other restaurants didn't look any busier.

RW is not a destination casino.

The ten million annual visitors to RW are mostly locals who typically play for a few hours or less, and go home for lunch or dinner.

Many of the Asian visitors prefer to bring their own food and jars of home made tea to snack on while they gamble at the Bac terminals.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
  • Posts: 11544
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
March 5th, 2014 at 4:58:56 AM permalink
"The buffet was bleeding from day one"

Sometimes the buffet was crowded and sometimes not HOWEVER, if that was true, then you don't raise the prices from $25 to $44. That was clearly a move to run off whatever business they still had. The buffet is still currently closed there.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Deck007
Deck007
  • Threads: 21
  • Posts: 344
Joined: Mar 3, 2014
March 5th, 2014 at 5:37:53 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

"The buffet was bleeding from day one"

Sometimes the buffet was crowded and sometimes not HOWEVER, if that was true, then you don't raise the prices from $25 to $44. That was clearly a move to run off whatever business they still had. The buffet is still currently closed there.



Buffet has always been a loss leader in any casino. It is the easiest Comp to pull in the gamblers.

When I hear this "Many.......... Asian.................. they gamble at the Bac terminals. " I know Genting has hit the Jackpot.
  • Jump to: