Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 18th, 2012 at 8:12:04 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

From what I understand, it's not just the small caliber, but a small gun is harder to control for accuracy. So, you're more likely to miss your target at the same range -- even fairly short distances (across rooms).

And correct me if I'm wrong, because I may be.

Yeah. The smaller the barrel, the worse the accuracy. Shotguns are short range weapons, but I've killed deer at 120yds because I have a very long bird barrel on it. Barrel length is everything. Also, a VERY small gun, like the little Derringer type palm pistols EB linked, are ridiculously hard to manipulate for a man with large hands like myself. But then again, these guns aren't used to shoot at 40yds. They're up in your face weapons, a couple feet or so.

But keep in mind, it's the BARREL than makes the difference, not the caliber. My Viper 510 rifle shoots .22, and is plenty accurate at 70yds. My .17 reaches out even further. And my .22mag AMT, a handgun, is every bit as accurate as my Glock. Full size frame, 4" barrel, it's good to go.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 18th, 2012 at 8:17:20 PM permalink
If a 22 caliber handgun was good enough for Thomas Principe, it's good enough for me.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 18th, 2012 at 8:53:47 PM permalink
Quote: Face

But keep in mind, it's the BARREL than makes the difference, not the caliber.

Elementary physics. Rather simple, too. The longer the barrel, the more time the propellant pushes the bullet and the higher the muzzle velocity (ie the faster the bullet). Also, in rifled guns, the the bullet acquires more spin, which increases stability. So longer range and better accuracy.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 18th, 2012 at 9:04:05 PM permalink
Tom felt that a 22 inside the skell would bounce around and do a lot of damage in the process.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 18th, 2012 at 9:17:17 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Elementary physics. Rather simple, too. The longer the barrel, the more time the propellant pushes the bullet and the higher the muzzle velocity (ie the faster the bullet). Also, in rifled guns, the the bullet acquires more spin, which increases stability. So longer range and better accuracy.

Indeed =) But keep in mind, ALL modern guns are now rifled, not just "rifles". From my weenie .22 all the way up to my massive .44 mag and everything in between, they're all rifled. The only gun I've ever owned that wasn't was my grandpa's Derringer that my ex threw out. Of course, it was made at the turn of the century, and the barrel was barely 2", if that, and they're made to shoot something an arm's length away.

This is important to know for the novice gun owner, especially if you buy used. Many people still ream the hell out of barrel with wire brushes and chemical solvents, which isn't needed nowadays unless you're shooting crap Russian ammo. As a result, they slowly file away the rifling. My Pops recently bought a .17 that had this treatment, and the barrel was worn nearly smooth. As a result, all the rounds "keyholed", that is, they were punching through the paper on their side. They just tumbled throught the air, which eradicates accuracy. Ever throw a whiffle ball? That what keyhole bullets do. Waver up, down, and all around, no telling what you're going to hit.

For the advanced gun owner, all barrels have a twist rate. A 1:14, for example, means in 14" the round spins one revolution. If you're in to customizing guns, you can swap barrels to change performance. In general, the longer the round, the more twist you need. The more twist you have, the more stable the shot. Keep in mind that each manufacturer will respond differently no matter what you shoot. The exact same grain 9mm will shoot differently depending on if it's Winchester, S&W, Remington, etc who made it. Test your gun with multiple makes and see which fits your piece best.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
July 19th, 2012 at 12:53:37 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

It doesn't matter whether the bullet does 1 twist or 5 through the barrel. It will have the same spin in relation to the velocity. I can't think of a modern firearm, other than a shotgun, that isn't rifled.

Longer barrels generally result in higher velocity - to a point. A longer sight radius also results in increased accuracy, in general, perhaps at the expense of speed of acquisition and alignment of the sights by the rifleman. Laser (aimpoint, not lasergrip) and holographic sights rule the day when "fast and good enough" is what matters.

The same caliber shot out of a smaller, lighter gun will be harder to control, in general. But a .22 in a small revolver is not like a .357 magnum snubnose.

Good on Florida dude for showing the thugs what's what and not hitting any innocents. They'll get free medical care and be back out on the streets in no time.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 311
July 19th, 2012 at 12:59:45 AM permalink
The rifling in any used gun has some wear also from the bullet. Eventually this alone will do it in.

Used guns for sale are often given up because accuracy has started to go.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 19th, 2012 at 1:48:36 AM permalink
Quote: Face

My suggestion to those than have guns, even if it's not a pistol and you have no license, just a long gun in a closet at home, is to know your state's laws. In Texas, for example, you can shoot for a great number of reasons, including threats to personal property. In NY,...well, let's just say I'm terrified of shooting anyone here.

It's my understanding that the most liberal gun laws in the lower 48 are in Arizona. Should I assume that any random stranger that I encounter could be carrying a gun?

I remember during Hurricane Huge how well armed the population seemed to be. There was gunfire all night long during the rioting. Of course, you are virtually crazy to take a boat out in the open water in the Caribbean without some decent armaments.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
July 19th, 2012 at 2:23:05 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It's my understanding that the most liberal gun laws in the lower 48 are in Arizona. Should I assume that any random stranger that I encounter could be carrying a gun?

Yes. Just like you can assume that any random stranger you encounter might have voted at one time or another. It is America, after all.

Beauty of it is it doesn't matter, until it does. And when it does I'd rather be on the side with the guns.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 19th, 2012 at 2:47:30 AM permalink
Even the retirement cities have their own patrols of armed retirees who keep current at the gun range and patrol on golf carts.

Many ornate belt buckles are really .22s, but as with many areas, only a relatively few people choose to go armed but vehicles are often gun=safe equipped. It doesn't take a high number of people to be armed to make criminals wary. They see several people packing heat, they are not going to prey on the rest.

Though in some areas the American South you travel armed or you just don't travel. Swamps have gators and cougars so loaded firearms will be at hand. In "Growing Territory" its best to be armed because anyone you meet who has an agricultural investment nearby is going to be heavily armed.

In urban Texas, crime can be so bad that most young women will indeed be armed.

I know one woman in a rural Texas county whose life is mainly golf clubs, the volunteer fire department, a charity or two and a business or two. Pistols, rifles, shotguns... she owns them all and really doesn't go anywhere unarmed. Even the golf club has gun lockers. Her employees at the truck sales lot are all armed. Its simply a way of life. Its a peaceful life and you go equipped to keep it that way. She occasionally has to repossess a pick up truck... you bet she is armed doing it!

• Jump to: