vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
May 21st, 2012 at 8:55:24 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I said, it looks like incorrectly, on my radio show last week that there simply is no license to carry an unconcealed weapon, because it just isn't allowed by the general public. Based on the last few posts, this would seem in error. Before I have to eat crow on the radio, I have two questions:

1. Can anyone point to a law, in particular in Nevada, that specifically allows or prohibits openly carrying a weapon?
2. If is is allowed, even without a permit, why don't it ever seem to happen? There was a thread earlier about somebody getting into a confrontation with the LVPD for just wearing an empty holster.

I hate to link wiki but here is a link...this will pretty much tell you all you need to know about open carry. In about 30 states you need no permit to carry a firearm openly(not attempting to conceal)....In some of those 30 states(in the link the orange sates) open carry is legal but a pain in the ass...because each jurisdiction has its own laws on where you can and can not open carry, but some are better than others...For example you might be able to open carry in a city park but go one city over and you might no be able too....The states in Yellow(in the link) you can open carry anywhere(notice Nevada is on this list)....you don't need a permit you just cant conceal your firearm....

The reason many don't so this.....Although its completely legal you will be hassled by the cops....they wont arrest you but you will be questioned since it will normally cause a public disturbance as 50 people call the police saying "there is a guy walking around with a gun"....the main reason no one does it is because most of us who carry like the idea of the criminal NOT KNOWING we have a gun on us.....Although the mentality of the "open carry community" is that open carry prevents crime because the criminal sees you have a gun and then doesn't commit the crime....
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1388
May 21st, 2012 at 9:38:00 PM permalink
Thanks vert for that link and commentary.

I ran into a neighbor since my last post who is a U.S. magistrate judge here in Las Vegas. I asked him the question at hand, in the presence of his wife who I also believe to be a lawyer. He said that as far as he knew there was no law forbidding the general public from openly carrying a firearm. His wife agreed.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 21st, 2012 at 10:27:12 PM permalink
With a holster that properly protects the trigger, I have zero problem with the Glock's lack of a clickie safety thingie.

I cringe when Hollywood has someone put a Glock in their waistband.

If the gun has to come out of the holster, I want it to go bang when the trigger is pressed. Glocks do that. The more things you add to a gun to keep it from going bang when the trigger is pressed, the more things there are to keep the gun from going bang when the trigger is pressed.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
May 21st, 2012 at 11:09:15 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

I cringe when Hollywood has someone put a Glock in their waistband.

For felons though, that probably is one of the common methods of carrying a gun. You figure they wouldn't even want a holster if they have to ditch the gun at some point. Being as cops would probably find a empty holster somewhat suspicious.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
May 21st, 2012 at 11:16:38 PM permalink
Ask Plaxico Burress how well carrying a Glock in his waistband worked for him.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
May 22nd, 2012 at 12:56:43 AM permalink
Wisconsin allows open carry, and has recently passed a law allowing concealed permits.

The state supreme court finally came around to recognizing the second half of "keep and bear arms" clause. Police departments had some policy and procedure adjustments to make; open carry proponents (enthusiasts?) have been awarded damages after being arrested simply for exercising their 2nd amendment rights. While an officer can talk to someone carrying openly, that person is under no obligation to explain or identify himself.

But as a practical matter, open carry seems to me a bit of a hassle in an urban or suburban environment. Malls, stores, bars, and public buildings are free to bar weapons from their property, and often do so. You can spend a lot of time taking it off and putting it back on again. Not to mention some folks may take an interest in what you just locked in your trunk before going shopping.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
July 17th, 2012 at 4:38:16 PM permalink
Holy crap, has everybody seen this? He even drops down
into the correct stance. This old guy is a hero, good for him.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 17th, 2012 at 8:04:58 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Holy crap, has everybody seen this? He even drops down
into the correct stance. This old guy is a hero, good for him.

This guy must have had training, he chases them
out, gun blazing.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 17th, 2012 at 8:20:15 PM permalink
instant justice...
those kids are lucky to be alive
that old guy was still shooting at them after they left
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 17th, 2012 at 9:31:28 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

instant justice...
those kids are lucky to be alive
that old guy was still shooting at them after they left

He probably had 17 in his clip, just getting his
money's worth.

• Jump to: