odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 310
May 21st, 2012 at 12:55:34 AM permalink
The pain-in-the-ass factor becomes dominant, IMO, and eventually is over-ridden only if a perceived need is strong enough, like knowing you have a lot of money on you, have to work in a bad neighborhood, etc..

I wonder if the Wizard has had his permit long enough to start pondering the pain-in-the-ass factor?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
May 21st, 2012 at 12:58:13 AM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

I cannot personally see why anyone would buy an XD over a Glock.

because a lot of people want to carry condition 1...and don't fee comfortable carrying condition 1 with no safety...and NO the Glock "safe action trigger" is not a safety.... this is why so many Glock owners carry condition 3, because they don't feel comfortable in condition 1....I have carried Glocks condition 1 its no big deal to me...but to a lot of people it is.....But I used to carry 1911's condition 1 with no worries....Hell I know people who carry 1911's in condition ZERO which I think is CRAZY and irresponsible IMO....This is why Springfield XD's and especially Smith & Wesson M&P's are cutting into Glocks sales so much.....Because it gives you ability to carry condition 1 with a striker fires pistol WITH a safety...which Glock doesn't...Like I said to me its no big deal...Carrying condition 1 with no safety is no biggie to me BUT to a lot of people it is a big deal...and for them a S&W M&P and Springfield XD are much better choices for a polymer striker fired pistol...
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 21st, 2012 at 4:21:10 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

because a lot of people want to carry condition 1...and don't fee comfortable carrying condition 1 with no safety...and NO the Glock "safe action trigger" is not a safety.... this is why so many Glock owners carry condition 3, because they don't feel comfortable in condition 1

Add me to that list. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the lack of safety on a Glock, and even with the AMT, I'll only do CC2. Of course, I'm not ever really in a position to NEED it, since mine are mostly for bear which aren't exactly stealthy or stalkers. Something to work on, though.

Another thread made me think to ask a question. What does a "concealed carry permit" actually mean in your state? I saw a post in another thread that lead me to believe that in other states, it ALLOWS you to carry concealed as opposed to what I'm guessing is a normal carry permit to carry exposed. However, I'm almost positive that in NY you cannot under any circumstances carry exposed, regardless of what license you have (exception for hunting season). I'm pretty sure here you have only a "carry concealed with purpose" (actively hunting or target shooting) and "carry concealed unrestricted" (can carry whenever). Do other states allow exposed carry?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
May 21st, 2012 at 4:53:10 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Add me to that list. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the lack of safety on a Glock, and even with the AMT, I'll only do CC2. Of course, I'm not ever really in a position to NEED it, since mine are mostly for bear which aren't exactly stealthy or stalkers. Something to work on, though.

Another thread made me think to ask a question. What does a "concealed carry permit" actually mean in your state? I saw a post in another thread that lead me to believe that in other states, it ALLOWS you to carry concealed as opposed to what I'm guessing is a normal carry permit to carry exposed. However, I'm almost positive that in NY you cannot under any circumstances carry exposed, regardless of what license you have (exception for hunting season). I'm pretty sure here you have only a "carry concealed with purpose" (actively hunting or target shooting) and "carry concealed unrestricted" (can carry whenever). Do other states allow exposed carry?

throw the northeast and NY right out the window when comparing laws with other states about guns....In almost all states a CCW or CPL(conceal carry) allows you to conceal a weapon, in most cases that's a gun but it cane be a knife as well...you need this license to CONCEAL the weapon because in most states you can "open carry" with no permit/license...in most states you can "open carry" and this requires NO licensing or permits...but if you want to "conceal" the weapon you need a permit....there is a huge 'open carry" movement going on in the gun community right now because of California recently losing their rights to open carry.....Since very few people were open carrying in California the state thought it would be able to take that right away and no one would care..... but it backfired and now many people who used to conceal are open carrying in other states...under the theory of "if we don't use the right we will lose the right like they did in California"....if you go to opencarry.org you can see what states allow open carry
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
May 21st, 2012 at 5:01:36 PM permalink
Quote: vert1276

throw the northeast and NY right out the window when comparing laws with other states about guns....In almost all states a CCW or CPL(conceal carry) allows you to conceal a weapon, in most cases that's a gun but it cane be a knife as well...you need this license to CONCEAL the weapon because in most states you can "open carry" with no permit/license...in most states you can "open carry" and this requires NO licensing or permits...but if you want to "conceal" the weapon you need a permit....there is a huge 'open carry" movement going on in the gun community right now because of California recently losing their rights to open carry.....Since very few people were open carrying in California the state thought it would be able to take that right away and no one would care..... but it backfired and now many people who used to conceal are open carrying in other states...under the theory of "if we don't use the right we will lose the right like they did in California"....if you go to opencarry.org you can see what states allow open carry

Yeah this is correct for Washington state. Anyone can openly carry a gun, but to conceal it you need the license. Also Washington is one of the many states that (stupidly, IMO) requires absolutely NO training to get a CPL. They do a background check to make sure you haven't violated any gun laws, and they take your fingerprints, then you get the license and are on your way. It's entirely possible to get the license without even touching a handgun in your life, let alone being proficient with one.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
May 21st, 2012 at 6:33:01 PM permalink
I said, it looks like incorrectly, on my radio show last week that there simply is no license to carry an unconcealed weapon, because it just isn't allowed by the general public. Based on the last few posts, this would seem in error. Before I have to eat crow on the radio, I have two questions:

1. Can anyone point to a law, in particular in Nevada, that specifically allows or prohibits openly carrying a weapon?
2. If is is allowed, even without a permit, why don't it ever seem to happen? There was a thread earlier about somebody getting into a confrontation with the LVPD for just wearing an empty holster.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
May 21st, 2012 at 6:56:51 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

2. If is is allowed, even without a permit, why don't it ever seem to happen?

Because the cops don't like it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
May 21st, 2012 at 7:03:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Because the cops don't like it.

Bob: it appears that your preference for short lines in posts just scuttled your attempt to post a link. You've got a carriage return or something inside your link, so it doesn't work. Just to help out, I think this modified link should work.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 21st, 2012 at 7:39:04 PM permalink
Thanks for that, vert and Aces. That sounds absolutely crazy to me, what with all the hoops I had to jump through for my handgun permit. Washington's sounds a lot like PA's. Unlike NY's several hundred dollar, 2 year wait, I can just go to PA, give my vitals, wait 15 minutes, and walk out with one. And it's good for 20some different states, too.

I wish there was an easier way to find info, it seems such a wild goose chase. I remember when I got my CCW, I had no idea what it really was. The paper it came with just said congratz, and that was about it. I know a lot of guys on the force for just about every department, and even after asking Local, State, Sheriffs and even Investigators, it took one of them to call someone who knew someone who had contacts with someone who knew one of the higher ups in the pistol permit clerks office to let me know mine was unrestricted. Crazy stuff.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
May 21st, 2012 at 8:09:05 PM permalink
"An individual also cannot legally possess a firearm while intoxicated." Guess I'm screwed.
100% risk of ruin

• Jump to: