Fiziks
Fiziks
  • Threads: 1
July 19th, 2012 at 5:10:22 AM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

It doesn't matter whether the bullet does 1 twist or 5 through the barrel. It will have the same spin in relation to the velocity. I can't think of a modern firearm, other than a shotgun, that isn't rifled.

I just want to point out that even shotgun barrels can be rifled. I own a Remington 1100 Semi Auto, and have three different barrels for it. I have a 30" barrel that I use for pellets (targets/birds), a 24" rifled barrel for slugs (deer, boar), and an 18" barrel for home defense use (slugs/buckshot).

Most shotguns out there aren't rifled, but you can get barrels that are if you want/need them. Alternatively, they also produce rifled slugs that achieve the same thing but the rifling is in the ammo not the barrel.
A correct answer is not always the solution to the problem.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
July 19th, 2012 at 7:17:44 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Elementary physics. Rather simple, too. The longer the barrel, the more time the propellant pushes the bullet and the higher the muzzle velocity (ie the faster the bullet). Also, in rifled guns, the the bullet acquires more spin, which increases stability. So longer range and better accuracy.

The TV show, American Guns, is about some gun shop called GunSmoke. They recently had a show where this topic came up. The cut 3" off the end of a barrel and the bullet speed INCREASED after they had cut the barrel down.

This article, on the other hand, supports what Nareed and everyone else seem to agree on, that the longer the barrel, the higher the velocity.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October05.htm
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 19th, 2012 at 9:35:01 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It's my understanding that the most liberal gun laws in the lower 48 are in Arizona. Should I assume that any random stranger that I encounter could be carrying a gun?

I remember during Hurricane Huge how well armed the population seemed to be. There was gunfire all night long during the rioting. Of course, you are virtually crazy to take a boat out in the open water in the Caribbean without some decent armaments.

I live in NY, which has to be the most difficult state to get a gun in, and I still assume everyone's carrying. After all, you don't need to jump through the hoops for a license to carry a gun, just us legal guys do. All the crims need is a couple bucks and one working arm. Gun owners come in all shapes and sizes. My Sheriff buddy, with his Sheriff issue gun bag, Sheriff issue mustache, pickup truck enblazoned with shooting club decals, is obvious. But it could be a guy like me, just a country bumpkin in cutoffs and a sleeveless shirt. It could be Wiz, a professional in khakis and a button up. It could be my girl, with her designer shades and manicured nails. It could be my gram, in her paisley shirt and gardening gloves. There's no way to tell, so assume everyone. It's safer that way.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
July 19th, 2012 at 11:43:20 AM permalink
Quote: Fiziks

I just want to point out that even shotgun barrels can be rifled.

They certainly can be. Most aren't. Especially when they're used for shooting bad guys, not deer.

It's funny how many things were thought of for shotguns because some jurisdictions made them the only tool permissible for hunters and police. My buddy and I argued about the inferiority of the shotgun over the rifle for MOST personal defense applications for some time, then Gabe Suarez wrote this that summed it up better than I ever could...
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 19th, 2012 at 1:52:25 PM permalink
Other than combat veterans, has anyone here ever shot another human being? Were they killed or wounded? I carried for a few years after my discharge from the military but have not carried in years although I have the permit and the weapons at home and at the ready.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 19th, 2012 at 10:23:49 PM permalink
Quote: QuadDeuces

My buddy and I argued about the inferiority of the shotgun over the rifle for MOST personal defense applications for some time...

Which side did you take? I'd not mind hearing a pro-rifle arguement. Then again, I also like the betting systems threads ;)

Quote: 1BB

Other than combat veterans, has anyone here ever shot another human being? Were they killed or wounded? I carried for a few years after my discharge from the military but have not carried in years although I have the permit and the weapons at home and at the ready.

Not me. I've pulled mine a couple times, but there's never been a human on the other end of it. If we are afforded wishes, I hope there never is.

With all who serve that I consider personal friends, there has to be, combined, several hundred years of service between them all. I figure I must know someone who's shot and probably killed another person, but it's not something that has ever been brought up. Not once ever. A lot of beating stories, a lot of "listen to this s#^$" stories, but none involving gun play. I don't blame them. There's not a single fist fight I haven't felt bad about, no matter how much the other person deserved it. Gun play has to be several orders of magnitude worse.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 20th, 2012 at 1:28:13 AM permalink
Quote: Face

I figure I must know someone who's shot and probably killed another person, but it's not something that has ever been brought up. Not once ever. A lot of beating stories, a lot of "listen to this s#^$" stories, but none involving gun play. I don't blame them. There's not a single fist fight I haven't felt bad about, no matter how much the other person deserved it. Gun play has to be several orders of magnitude worse.

I had one colleague who was a SEAL and did two tours in Vietnam. I am sure that he has a very high body count, as a big part of their job was assassination of high level Viet Cong. After the Bay of Pigs, it is illegal in this country to assassinate a political figure in peacetime, if a man is a military terrorist leader, the SEALS go in to their compounds and try and kill them before there next attack. There was probably very few scenarios where Bin Laden would have been captured alive.

But my buddy would only say that it was important to him not to hate. He had no ill-will towards Vietnam culture or their people. He had many Vietnamese friends. I honestly don't know if he even keeps a body count in his head.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
July 20th, 2012 at 3:30:58 AM permalink

But my buddy would only say that it was important to him not to hate. He had no ill-will towards Vietnam culture or their people. He had many Vietnamese friends. I honestly don't know if he even keeps a body count in his head.

I did two tours of the 'Nam with the 1st Air Cavalry Division and can say we respected the NVA as brave and commited foes. My second tour was cut short when I was fired up pretty good but I don't hate either, we were all just trying to do our duty as best we could.

I own weapons for family protection but have not fired a shot in anger in 42+ years. Between my brother-in-law and me we have some 10,000 rounds so we are ready... IMNSHO most likely scenarios would be best handled by handguns such as the M1911A1 .45 ACP or shotguns because it is hard to envision being in a gun fight at the ranges best suited to rifles but we do have that base covered in case.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 20th, 2012 at 10:17:26 AM permalink

I had one colleague who was a SEAL and did two tours in Vietnam. I am sure that he has a very high body count, as a big part of their job was assassination of high level Viet Cong. After the Bay of Pigs, it is illegal in this country to assassinate a political figure in peacetime, if a man is a military terrorist leader, the SEALS go in to their compounds and try and kill them before there next attack. There was probably very few scenarios where Bin Laden would have been captured alive.

This sounds like the Phoenix Program. Was your friend a member of SEAL Team ONE by any chance?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
July 20th, 2012 at 11:17:08 AM permalink
Well with the shooting in Colorado, the Bloomberg's of this country should be coming out any minute now.

• Jump to: