Thread Rating:

thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 31st, 2011 at 12:45:04 PM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

And you can now buy wine in packaging similar to kids' juice boxes. .

I haven't seen that (see previous post). That's awesome.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 31st, 2011 at 12:55:54 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I wasn't aware of all that. Still, how does that compare to beer?

Bud produced about 13 Billion litres of beer in 2007.

About 50 times the liquid volume of 1 million 750 ml bottle per day. Bud is by far the biggest beer producer in the US. It's about 14 times the amount of alcohol though...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 31st, 2011 at 12:55:54 PM permalink
BTW the platicized cardboard used in juice and wine boxes is very popular in Mexico. All sorts of things are packed in it: juice, milk (ultrapasteurized), wine (cheap wines of course), sauces and processed vegetables of all kinds. Down here it's called Tetra Pack, after a company of that name which makes most of it. It got started with milk, using square, box-like containers for ultrapsteurized UHT milk (UHT stands for Ultra Hit Temperature). It allows milk to keep fresh for months without refrigeration. In turn this allowed smaller milk producers to ship their product farther than they used to.

In theory it can sub for any kind of metal can, too. Some companies use it instead of cans for processed vegetables, as noted above (I don't suppose they qualify as canned any more) because it's cheaper. Lately, though, outright plastic and metalized plastic pouches are becoming popular. You can find baked and refried beans, as well as rice and pasta, in such pouches.

But I digress.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 31st, 2011 at 12:56:28 PM permalink
regarding age and beer, it must be pointed out that it is *generally* correct to say age is the enemy of beer. Those types that are meant for aging are rare. They can also be an acquired taste: I find most people don't care much for Thomas Hardy's Ale, for example, even if they like something beyond 'bud-miller'.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
October 31st, 2011 at 12:58:34 PM permalink

Beer production is far more standardized and industrialized than wine production.

I would have said just the opposite. A brewery near me just released a beer packaged in a coconut. A brewery in Scotland put their bears in dead squirrels and it sold for several hundred dollars per bottle. That's hardly standardized or industrialized.
kp
kp
October 31st, 2011 at 1:13:58 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

regarding age and beer, it must be pointed out that it is *generally* correct to say age is the enemy of beer. Those types that are meant for aging are rare.

Same for wine. You can't just go down the the local store and grab a box of red wine and stick it in the basement for 10 years and expect it to improve.

Meads and spirits are about the only general beverage classifications that can safely sit for years without degradation, although that does mean they will improve with age.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 31st, 2011 at 1:27:16 PM permalink
Our local wineries here in Niagara are very good, but their wines generally are not sold outside of the region. You will find a few Ontario wines sold coast-to-coast at our biggest wineries - Inniskillin and Jackson-Triggs. But that represents only 2 of 57 wineries in Niagara. One of our favorite activities is to drive down the road to do some tastings. The whites here surpass (I believe) what Napa can provide but the California reds pretty much outshine anything else in North America. That said, there are quite a few drinkable reds available locally. We're famous for our "ice-wine" which, in my opinion, is a complete profitmaker.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nareed
Nareed
October 31st, 2011 at 1:35:18 PM permalink
Quote: kp

Same for wine. You can't just go down the the local store and grab a box of red wine and stick it in the basement for 10 years and expect it to improve.

Oh, indeed.

As I undertsand, wine is aged, when it's aged, in casks or abrrels, not in bottles. But that's an arcane art I'm not familiar with.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 31st, 2011 at 1:37:59 PM permalink

I would have said just the opposite. A brewery near me just released a beer packaged in a coconut. A brewery in Scotland put their bears in dead squirrels and it sold for several hundred dollars per bottle. That's hardly standardized or industrialized.

Brew Dog do all sorts of tricks with their beer. They are currently competing to make the strongest beer with a German brewer.

I don't think much of the contents of any of the bottles, but other people will disagree with me.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 31st, 2011 at 1:42:41 PM permalink

Oh, indeed.

As I undertsand, wine is aged, when it's aged, in casks or abrrels, not in bottles. But that's an arcane art I'm not familiar with.

Wine ages in the bottle, as does some beer. "Live" beer which contains some yeast will mature and mellow in the bottle. Wine too, I think due to interactions with the air via the cork (but don't quote me on that). I had a red given to me when I was born, and by the time we opened it when I was twenty it had some characteristics of a light port (I much prefer port to red wine).

Cask beer also matures and conditions in the barrel... the idea of cask conditioning is using the yeast with some extra sugar to generate carbon dioxide and pressurize the barrel. You get a much more rounded mouth feel from cask beer.

Any long term conditioning costs money, as you have to keep the product on the shelf and pay for storage. One reason why 18 year old whisky's fetch such a high price (here maturation is more passive, and less biology than chemistry and physics) is keeping big wooden barrels safe for 18 years costs money, even if it is a little used glen in the highlands of Scotland.
Nareed
Nareed
October 31st, 2011 at 1:48:29 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Any long term conditioning costs money, as you have to keep the product on the shelf and pay for storage.

There's a liquor in Scandinavia called Aquavit (or Aqvavit, I've seen both spellings), which gets put on casks, then taken sailing on ships for a awhile. I forget for how long, but allegedly the motion of the ship from the ocean waves supposedly has an effect on it. That must be very expensive.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 31st, 2011 at 1:53:25 PM permalink
Aquavit is Danish, and tastes like rocket fuel when consumed. It's nasty stuff, but the Danes love it. I don't see any possible effect of aging on the liquor! It's not particularly expensive.

I stand corrected. The Danish brand is named Aalborg, and it's the only Aquavit I've ever had.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 31st, 2011 at 1:54:41 PM permalink
That was the claim for Madeira wine and for the original Indian Pale Ale. Not just the motion but the atmosphere and temperature too.

The IPA story is mostly bunk (as is most of the labels on IPA about how it was brewed special for the Indian regiments of the british Army, etc). The Madeira wine one seems to be true.

Some (Scottish) whisky's are hugely influence by the prescence of the sea air. I know one distillery swears that's it's flavour comes from the casks sitting beneath sea-level and the waves lapping against the storehouse walls. Any sort of mystique that's partly true can help your brand....
kp
kp
October 31st, 2011 at 2:15:26 PM permalink

I don't think much of the contents of any of the bottles, but other people will disagree with me.

If you are thinking "scotch" then the contents are OK. If you are thinking "beer", then you'll be disappointed. Once you distill beer into whiskey, then it becomes something totally different, regardless if that was a heat or cold distillation method.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 31st, 2011 at 2:22:15 PM permalink

If you are thinking "scotch" then the contents are OK. If you are thinking "beer", then you'll be disappointed. Once you distill beer into whiskey, then it becomes something totally different, regardless if that was a heat or cold distillation method.

I was more thinking the beer I've had from Brew Dog. I've not tried their high-percentage stuff (in or out of a dead squirrel), but their standard stuff is just "okay" rather than "Quick, man, get me another one". Does the trick beer have any hop or CO2 in it?

I quite like a whisky or Irish whiskey once in a while, for sure. Preferably something that's sat around in an old port or rum barrel for a decade.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 31st, 2011 at 2:25:51 PM permalink
Isn't it amazing what some people assign value to?

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
October 31st, 2011 at 2:26:41 PM permalink

Bud produced about 13 Billion litres of beer in 2007.

About 50 times the liquid volume of 1 million 750 ml bottle per day. Bud is by far the biggest beer producer in the US. It's about 14 times the amount of alcohol though...

I think the top 3 wine producers last year made about 250M cases, or about 3B bottles of wine. At 750ml each that's 2.25B liters. So it's nowhere close in volume terms, but consider that one bottle of wine is usually equivalent to about 5 or 6 bottles of beer and it's comparable in terms of servings. On the other hand, that's comparing just Budweiser with the entirety of the top 3 wine conglomerates, and from what I can tell that's over 50% of the global wine volume while Bud is nowhere close to 50% of global beer.

Here's what Target is selling (the little boxes come in four-packs):
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
Nareed
Nareed
November 8th, 2011 at 8:19:24 AM permalink
I bought a bottle of Chilean white Chardonay(SP?) at the supermarket last weekend for about US $4.50 or $5. Standard glass bottle with a cork. It was on sale, but the regular price would have been about $6 or $7. I brought it to a lunch and the hostess served it. I had some and so did two other people.

It was ok. I've said I can't judge these things beyond "like/don't like." So beyong saying "ok" I found it slightly sweet with a little too much of an alcohol flavor, and a weird after-taste. That's about as specific as I know how to get. Someone else said it was too sweet, but honeslty for me it was only a little bit sweet. FWIW.

I don't know whether ti was a good choice for the food, etiher. We had chinese food, with two chicken dishes, two beef dishes and one shrimp dish.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
November 8th, 2011 at 12:21:27 PM permalink
It was a good choice with that kind of food. Chardonnay is very versatile. With Chinese, you want something with a little residual sweetness to balance the intense/spicy flavors of the food. Another good choice would have been Riesling.

Edit: But yeah, it's more of a beer food. I would definitely prefer a beer with that meal.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
kp
kp
November 8th, 2011 at 12:28:33 PM permalink
If you're getting the spicier or hotter Chinese dish, I'd go with an IPA.
Nareed
Nareed
November 8th, 2011 at 5:10:37 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

It was a good choice with that kind of food. Chardonnay is very versatile. With Chinese, you want something with a little residual sweetness to balance the intense/spicy flavors of the food. Another good choice would have been Riesling.

We must have a different definition of "intense." :) Although to be fair the restaurant that rpovided the take-out doesn't have hot mustard.

I knew to expect chicken from past experience, and my limited knowledge of wines says white wine goes with chicken. I'm not sure what "goes with" means.

Quote:

Edit: But yeah, it's more of a beer food. I would definitely prefer a beer with that meal.

Hm. Based on our recent exchange, I'll give you three guesses as to why it never crossed my mind to bring beer ;)
teddys
teddys
February 26th, 2012 at 7:00:26 AM permalink
Update: At my meal at Bradley Ogden in Las Vegas last December, I ordered a bottle of Stratton Lummis Cabernet for $95 a bottle. The other day, in my local liquor store, I saw the exact same bottle, same vintage, in their rare/special wines section. Price: $24.99. Arrgggh! 380% markup. Made we want to throw something. Nothing I hate more than being scammed...
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 26th, 2012 at 7:37:10 AM permalink

Nothing I hate more than being scammed...

But were you scammed? Its common knowledge that virtually ALL restaurants that sell wine mark it up a great deal. Heck, the paperwork for having a milk dispenser on the premises is such that restaurant owners have to jack up their prices. All one ever needs is some Botulism scare and you see how the different brands of soup or something are sold under different names at different prices but all came from the same batch at one food processor somewhere.

Detergents are pretty much TSP with perfume and adjectives.
Perfumes are pretty much the same basic ingredients with names and adjectives changed.
No one who pays sticker price for a car should complain, its well know as a scam.
And cell phone pricing contracts.... nah, don't cry "scam". We already know.

You want to buy stamps from those machines in touristy places, you won't get them at face value, but don't say you've been scammed.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
February 26th, 2012 at 8:20:02 AM permalink

Update: At my meal at Bradley Ogden in Las Vegas last December, I ordered a bottle of Stratton Lummis Cabernet for $95 a bottle. The other day, in my local liquor store, I saw the exact same bottle, same vintage, in their rare/special wines section. Price: $24.99. Arrgggh! 380% markup. Made we want to throw something. Nothing I hate more than being scammed...

Setting aside the $95 you paid for the wine what did you think of the food at Bradley Ogden? I had one of the best meals ever at that restaurant including several Michelin starred restaurants I have eaten at. That was many years ago when it first opened and I have never made it back. It shut down for a while after I was there and then re-opened and I always wondered what that was about. Maybe our font of all knowledge Paco might know?
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
pokerface
pokerface
  • Threads: 12
February 26th, 2012 at 8:49:41 AM permalink
In fact, I think you got a decent deal.
1. $24.99 win in a local store is already a good wine, not the best of course, but certainly above average.
So they didn't serve you $3/bottle cheap wine.
2. $24.99--> $95 for a wine in a restaurant, the markup is not unusual, not at all. I would say on the low end.
too many restaurants charge $30-$50 for a bottle of $3 wine.
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
February 26th, 2012 at 10:29:17 AM permalink

Nothing I hate more than being scammed...

I don't know why you think you were being scammed. The cost of goods sold on just about every item at any food service establishment is around 25%, and has been for your entire life. How much do you spend on a gallon of milk at the store, vs. a glass of milk at a restaurant? Beer? Ground beef?
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
February 26th, 2012 at 10:32:46 AM permalink
I expect 3-4X markup on any bottle. I enjoy the fact that I like Malbecs right now as they are dirt cheap. But I still know that bottle I'm paying $40 for in a restaurant only cost them $8-$12/bottle.

I will add that beer is even worse. For bottles, rarely will they cost more than $1/bottle in bulk. But charging $5-$6+ isn't uncommon at all. Draft beer is even a bigger markup but at least with that you are getting something you can not easily reproduce at home.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
February 26th, 2012 at 11:03:59 AM permalink

I believe that is 280%. What did you expect? 4x store price is the most common markup amount.

More than 5x is clearly overpricing (a high-end place should serve better drinks, not overcharge on cheap ones) and 2x or less I consider a bargain.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 263
February 26th, 2012 at 12:38:56 PM permalink
Speaking of wine, anyone remember the promo's they have had
at Tuscany where a $10 bet resulting in a BJ won a bottle of
wine ? The brand name escapes me at the moment, but I've
seen it at the local discount grocery for $ 7.99
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 26th, 2012 at 1:42:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I wrote a story before about getting bamboozeled in buying a $800 bottle at the Wynn, and I didn't think it was any better than some $20 wines I've had. The returns diminish fast after about $50.

I would like to read that story.

I like this restaurant in Tijuana (and I would highly recommend).

Av. Carlos Rubirosa #250, Col. Aviación. Tijuana, Baja California.CP 22420
Teléfono: +52 (664) 686-3604
Horario: 12:00 pm - 11:00 pm de Lunes a Sábado
12:00 pm - 10:00 pm los Domingos

Javier Plascencia is one of the leading chefs in Tijuana. His latest restaurant, Mision 19, which seems to be more trendy than Casa Plascencia, is reviewed in the NY Times (March 8, 2011): Master of a New Tijuana .

One of the advantages of eating in TJ is the price. Casa Plasencia has a grilled meat dish (or seafood) for about $12-$15 (close to a third of what it would be in the US). But stupidly, I forgot how expensive liquor can be in Mexico. I casually ordered some liquor without asking the price, and when la cuenta arrived, it was $40 per shot.

I do recommend eating in Tijuana, but just be careful about wine and fine liquor. If you stick to beer and mescal, you'll be fine.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 26th, 2012 at 3:00:53 PM permalink
Quote: soulhunt79

I expect 3-4X markup on any bottle. I enjoy the fact that I like Malbecs right now as they are dirt cheap. But I still know that bottle I'm paying $40 for in a restaurant only cost them $8-$12/bottle. I will add that beer is even worse. For bottles, rarely will they cost more than $1/bottle in bulk. But charging $5-$6+ isn't uncommon at all. Draft beer is even a bigger markup but at least with that you are getting something you can not easily reproduce at home.

I went to Portugal in 1982 before they joined the European Union. My companions could not believe that Americans pay more for wine in a restaurant then in a store. They asked me why we would tolerate such a travesty. Even though I was just out of graduate school and had not worked, I would always order the specialty of the house and a bottle of wine. At those prices I just figured why not get the best they offered every time. But even then, gasoline was incredibly expensive.

A fast food soda that sells for $1.29 costs McDonalds about ten cents, a markup of more than 1200 percent.

Top 5 food mark-ups where restaurants make huge profits By DAVID BAKKE
1. Non-Alcoholic Beverages : Soda is so cheap that paper cups, when used, represent a bigger expense than the soda itself.
2. Wine : A very conservative estimate would land in the 200% range, while some put the markup at closer to 600% at higher-end restaurants.
3. Pasta: If you exclude pasta dishes with seafood or red meat, you can probably figure that your bowl costs the restaurant somewhere between $1 and $2.50. Consider that a high-end restaurant might charge $25 for a pasta meal (if it has some meat and vegetables in it), and you can easily see what a killing they make.
4. Pizza: Do you know how you can tell that a particular item, food or drink, has a high markup? Because it's always on sale.
A medium pizza from any one of The Big Three chains costs about $2.60 to make. That comes to 25 cents for the dough, $2 for the cheese, and 35 cents for the sauce. Even if you go all the way up to a large with everything, you're looking at a cost of about $4 to $4.50.
5. "The Special" The nightly special is typically one of the higher priced items on the menu (if not the highest) and as such, usually carries a high profit margin for the restaurant. Sure, they're tasty dishes. But they're also expensive and the restaurant usually makes a mint off of them.

So, buy your entrees at a restaurant, and enjoy your wine and desert at home afterwards.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 26th, 2012 at 3:46:01 PM permalink

Thats what I said about the $600 bottle they brought
to your table, they probably paid less than $100 for it
wholesale.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
teddys
teddys
February 26th, 2012 at 5:51:24 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Setting aside the $95 you paid for the wine what did you think of the food at Bradley Ogden? I had one of the best meals ever at that restaurant including several Michelin starred restaurants I have eaten at. That was many years ago when it first opened and I have never made it back. It shut down for a while after I was there and then re-opened and I always wondered what that was about. Maybe our font of all knowledge Paco might know?

I thought my meal there was very good. They did everything right. It was better than your average gourmet room. Bill came to $200 minus the wine so prices can add up. The blue cheese souffle is really famous and worth getting.

See my review here.

I remember that wine promotion at the Tuscany, too. Laughable. If I remember correctly, they only had Merlot, White Zin, and something called "Sweet Red." Uhh, no thanks.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
February 26th, 2012 at 6:04:11 PM permalink

I remember that wine promotion at the Tuscany, too. Laughable. If I remember correctly, they only had Merlot, White Zin, and something called "Sweet Red." Uhh, no thanks.

Well for me, an extra $ 8 in value for a Blackjack
was not a bad thing. At one point, I think the
pit bosses were growing tired of the promo
and they gave me an extra bottle.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
February 26th, 2012 at 6:20:40 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

5. "The Special" The nightly special is typically one of the higher priced items on the menu (if not the highest) and as such, usually carries a high profit margin for the restaurant. Sure, they're tasty dishes. But they're also expensive and the restaurant usually makes a mint off of them.

Don't forget the "special" is also a way to use up leftovers. Got a case a shrimp about to go bad? Offer up scampi on the special. Didn't sell enough prime rib Friday night at the mom-n-pop small town family restaurant? Repurpose it for a pasta dish or prime rib french dip. Nothing wrong with that till you see "day-old sushi" in the Safeway deli case. Even sushi bars don't get deliveries all weekend, so going out for sushi Monday night means they're using up whatever came in Friday.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
February 26th, 2012 at 6:23:33 PM permalink
Thanks for the link I missed that blog when you originally posted it. Glad to hear that Ogden is still good have to make sure I catch it next trip.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 11th, 2012 at 3:42:29 PM permalink
I did it again. I bought the cheapest bottle of wine
in the store, $5.99 for a 1.75 litre, and poured it
into a 750 empty bottle of a wine that cost $35.
We had 4 people over for the seasons first day
on the grill, and it fooled all of them. Everybody
thought it was wonderful and I didn't wise them up.
Liberty Creek Cabernet Sauvignon.

teddys
teddys
March 11th, 2012 at 4:09:22 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

What, did you run out of Franzia? I'm actually picking some of that up based on your recommendation. I like the idea of wine-in-a-box. $5 is just too much to spend on a bottle if you are a daily drinker...
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 11th, 2012 at 4:17:31 PM permalink
Find a place where its on sale, you can get it in the
supermarket for as low as 8.99 sometimes.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 12th, 2012 at 10:28:45 AM permalink

We had 4 people over for the seasons first day
on the grill, and it fooled all of them. Everybody
thought it was wonderful and I didn't wise them up.
Liberty Creek Cabernet Sauvignon.

I tip my cap to you, sir. Well played!
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
March 13th, 2012 at 4:35:05 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I tip my cap to you, sir. Well played!

Too funny !
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 13th, 2012 at 5:41:59 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

Too funny !

As his guests drive home... "That poor man, having to pour swill into an average bottle of wine just to impress us. I felt so sorry for him, I kept my mouth shut."
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2012 at 7:55:50 PM permalink
Just now on Discovery, they ran the wine experiment that
I've done many times. They took a cheapo box wine and
put it in a 1958 French wine bottle. They put the same wine
in a new 2009 bottle. Every person they tested thought
the 2009 sucked and the 1958 was fantastic. One guy said
it was the best he ever had.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
August 20th, 2012 at 5:16:00 PM permalink
This article is also relevant to the thread. Although surely he's ridiculing his father's ridiculous claim that in a blind taste test it's impossible to distinguish between straight coffee and coffee with milk.
reno
reno
June 14th, 2013 at 5:28:24 PM permalink
On a (slightly) related note, fMRI brain scans of people drinking cola revealed that premium cola brands (Coke & Pepsi) stimulated the left ventral striatum, while the generic cola brand stimulated the medial orbitofrontal cortex. The belief that you are drinking a specific brand impacts “neural responses signalling reward in the brain."
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 28th, 2013 at 12:30:37 AM permalink
Love wine like I do? Subscribe to Netflix streaming? If you
don't, what's wrong with you, it's like 27 cents a day.

Watch the movie 'Somm'. It will knock your socks off about
wine. I mean, you will learn so much you'll have to watch
it 3 times just to take it all in. My trick of taking box wine
and putting it in expensive bottles would not work with
these guys. Seriously, this is a must see if you love wine.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
November 28th, 2013 at 1:12:04 AM permalink
Not sure about wine and champagne because I hate it all. Beer is fine, I rarely care what kind it is, as long as its in a mug, warm beer doesn't bother me , cant stand the dark ale.

When it comes to the Hard stuff, I absolutely can tell the diffidence between knock off brands and name brands. Knock off brands of Crown, Grand Marnier, and especially Frangelico are not good. Sometimes I like cheap brands better then expensive ones. I think Smirnoff Vodka is better then Grey Goose or absolute.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
SlackJawYokel
SlackJawYokel
November 28th, 2013 at 6:02:59 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

When it comes to the Hard stuff, I absolutely can tell the diffidence between knock off brands and name brands. Knock off brands of Crown, Grand Marnier, and especially Frangelico are not good. Sometimes I like cheap brands better then expensive ones. I think Smirnoff Vodka is better then Grey Goose or absolute.

Axel
I do not drink hard booze at all, mainly just craft beers but lately I have seen craft distilleries popping up around me. Have you tried any of these small batch spirits? I just wonder how they compare to the large manufacturers since drinking an InBev beer compared to a small craft brew is like night and day.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
November 28th, 2013 at 8:31:39 AM permalink

Love wine like I do? Subscribe to Netflix streaming? If you
don't, what's wrong with you, it's like 27 cents a day.

Watch the movie 'Somm'.

Netflix not necessary. Pretty much all movies are online for free somewhere. Even movies just released in theaters.
Somm
reno
reno
November 25th, 2014 at 9:23:05 PM permalink
Further proof that the world is changing:

• Jump to: