DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 182
  • Posts: 10360
October 18th, 2011 at 8:05:54 AM permalink
In this post, I made the following comment:
Quote:

Not to derail the thread, but, about 30 years ago, I called a Sunday night radio talk show hosted by a priest. I asked why/how small children are expected to honor/love their parents, when it's the guy in the red suit bringing them the goodies.

I don't remember the reply, but it sounded like BS to me.


Being raised Jewish, I never had a problem due to my lack of a belief in Santa, but I still wonder why Christian children are expected to honor their parents, while also taught to believe in Santa. Initially, it's Santa bringing them the gifts, so I'd think they'd want to honor/love Santa.

When they learn the truth about Santa, not only are they crushed, but they realize that their parents had been lying. And these children are still expected to honor their parents?

And what does the child do when the lying parents try to get them to believe in God?
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
weaselman
weaselman
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 2349
October 18th, 2011 at 9:00:46 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

I still wonder why Christian children are expected to honor their parents, while also taught to believe in Santa. Initially, it's Santa bringing them the gifts, so I'd think they'd want to honor/love Santa.


I think, the notion, that one only honors and loves those who brings gifts is a bit ... flawed :-/
It's a scary thought though ... because my kids are used to getting lots of gifts from their grandparents ... are they going to love them more than they love me?
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1117
October 18th, 2011 at 9:09:45 AM permalink
hmmmm, which one?...Jesus or Santa? Have 'em duke it out, that's the Spirit of Christmas.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 307
  • Posts: 8427
October 18th, 2011 at 9:41:07 AM permalink
From distant observation it's unbelievable how strong the desire is for the parents to do the Santa thing. I've always wondered if the cost of exposure as a Liar was worth it [I have no kids myself]. On the other hand, I personally do not feel any resentment about being lied to. Of all the beefs I might have with my parents, this is not on the list.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: 典hanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell! She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 182
  • Posts: 10360
October 18th, 2011 at 9:51:02 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

I think, the notion, that one only honors and loves those who brings gifts is a bit ... flawed :-/

Really? "Flawed?"

We're talking about kids.
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ 覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧 Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
October 18th, 2011 at 9:51:13 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

When they learn the truth about Santa, not only are they crushed, but they realize that their parents had been lying. And these children are still expected to honor their parents?

And what does the child do when the lying parents try to get them to believe in God?



Being also Jewish I never faced the "Santa Dilemma," but my parents did "lie" about the mouse taking my baby teeth and leaving money behind. I don't recall how or whether I ever figured it out while it was going on. I do remember, fondly, the delight in finding a few coins under my pillow in the morning. I have a lot of issues with my parents, as does just about everyone else, but fulfilling a harmless childhood fantasy is not one of them.

I don't think I ever took that into account when I realized god couldn't possibly exist. I was about 16 at the time, long after the last of my baby teeth fell out. It all came down to the gathering evidence of reality. Of course my father, at the time, thought it was just teenage rebelliousness and that I wasn't really serious. Well, it wasn't I was. I don't know how long it took him to believe me I meant it, either, if he ever did.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
Joined: Jan 14, 2010
  • Threads: 649
  • Posts: 7895
October 18th, 2011 at 9:52:47 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

When they learn the truth about Santa, not only are they crushed, but they realize that their parents had been lying. And these children are still expected to honor their parents?And what does the child do when the lying parents try to get them to believe in God?



It seems like comments like this are overthinking. I have no memory of being traumatized when I realized that Santa was a story.

  • Jump to: