Thread Rating:

boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 22nd, 2013 at 4:36:41 AM permalink
Perhaps the Canadian registry hasn't solved any crimes, but the fact that people had to register handguns may have prevented many crimes.

Natural gas may not be banned, but it is heavily regulated. Suppliers have to add additives to it so that it is easily smellable so that stupid people who leave their gas ranges on by accident don't blow themselves up. It's a federal regulation that was created after the New London disaster in 1937, when some idiot in the school board cancelled a natural gas contract and instead tapped into an oil line (where the natural gas seepage was seen as waste). The gas was odorless. The school blew up with 380 casualties.

That said, I reverse my view. There should not be a law to prevent cleaning your gun in front of children. If you're too stupid to unload your gun, then you're too stupid to have kids. Doesn't prevent it from happening, but that's the way the bullet flies.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
March 22nd, 2013 at 5:03:47 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Yeah, because heaven knows the Bloods and Crips will register the guns they carry!

If these libs had their way, we would also make Machetes illegal because that is MS-13s weapon of choice.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
March 22nd, 2013 at 5:27:50 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

"When natural gas becomes a product primarily designed for the purpose of killing another person then I'll be right on board with that..........You really need to pick your arguments better."

(double facepalm)
Fighting BS one post at a time!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 22nd, 2013 at 5:33:43 AM permalink

Yeah, because heaven knows the Bloods and Crips will register the guns they carry!

Meanwhile a person without a gun still found a way to commit suicide and caused a seven-alarm fire! Perhaps it is time we banned natural gas! Or at least force people with it to register and post their names in the newspaper?

When natural gas becomes a product primarily designed for the purpose of killing another person then I'll be right on board with that. In the mean time, since you support regulating guns in a similar way that natural gas is regulated, how about starting with requiring gun manufacturers to provide a trigger lock device with each gun. Also, and I speak from my own recent experience, if you convert from oil to natural gas, there has to be an inspection done before the plumber is allowed to hook up the line. So I guess that you are now in favor of some kind of government oversight before someone is allowed to purchase a weapon. If a newspaper wants to use a FOIA request to publish in their paper who has natural gas then I'm really okay with that. You really need to pick your arguments better.

Trigger locks are available if someone wants one. Since most gun owners have no need for one it is silly to require people to pay the extra costs. The guns are regulated at manufacture or import so we are covered same as the plumber and natural gas. My arguments are picked fine. Why you think it is ok to publish people's names in the paper is beyond me.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 22nd, 2013 at 5:56:56 AM permalink
Quote: bbvk05

Anyway, what does registration do other than target people you don't like? Aren't you canadian? Are you aware that the Canadian handgun registry (started in 1934) has been used to solve ZERO crimes as of 2010?

Let's waste some time and money and do that here!

Doesn't matter, you can't understand what is going on with something unless you have some way of monitoring it. Are you an ignorant gambler who thinks he doesn't need information?

Idiots do what they can to keep people from knowing. One of the goals of the NRA apparently.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:40:16 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Perhaps the Canadian registry hasn't solved any crimes, but the fact that people had to register handguns may have prevented many crimes.

That is cute.

Natural gas may not be banned, but it is heavily regulated. Suppliers have to add additives to it so that it is easily smellable so that stupid people who leave their gas ranges on by accident don't blow themselves up. It's a federal regulation that was created after the New London disaster in 1937, when some idiot in the school board cancelled a natural gas contract and instead tapped into an oil line (where the natural gas seepage was seen as waste). The gas was odorless. The school blew up with 380 casualties.

This bad analogy that isn't worth discussing. WHY AREN'T THE STOVES REGISTERED?

That said, I reverse my view. There should not be a law to prevent cleaning your gun in front of children. If you're too stupid to unload your gun, then you're too stupid to have kids. Doesn't prevent it from happening, but that's the way the bullet flies.

People that say they were cleaning their gun when it went off are almost always playing with their gun and later characterize it as cleaning. If you look at the cases about 95% of those accidental shooting while cleaning situations had NO cleaning supplies out of storage. It's just a BS thing people say to cover their tracks.
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 1:44:58 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Doesn't matter, you can't understand what is going on with something unless you have some way of monitoring it. Are you an ignorant gambler who thinks he doesn't need information?

Idiots do what they can to keep people from knowing. One of the goals of the NRA apparently.

Yes. One of the NRA's goals is to keep the government from tracking and controlling a fundamental right. This is particularly important because this government 'knowing' program is a proven spectacular failure everywhere that has tried it.

Do I need information for gambling? Yes. Does the government need to know about how I exercise a fundamental right when I am not harming anyone? No.

At least you have the honesty to recognize that registration does jack shit for anybody but its something you still want just so you can use the government to monitor people at great expense for no benefit.
boymimbo
boymimbo
March 22nd, 2013 at 5:00:00 PM permalink
Stoves aren't registered, but they are regulated for safety. You can't sell a stove without it being approved by a government agency and demonstrated to be safe (insulation is thick enough to not start a fire, lights on the stove to indicate that the burner is too hot, gas hookups must be professionally installed, etc). It's a bad analogy, all right. AZ brought it up.

I told you I reversed my position on gun cleaning. Indeed, most "accidents" that are attributed to cleaning are accidents because the gun owner is an irresponsible idiot. America's full of em.
bbvk05
bbvk05
March 22nd, 2013 at 5:05:14 PM permalink

Stoves aren't registered, but they are regulated for safety. You can't sell a stove without it being approved by a government agency and demonstrated to be safe (insulation is thick enough to not start a fire, lights on the stove to indicate that the burner is too hot, gas hookups must be professionally installed, etc). It's a bad analogy, all right. AZ brought it up.

I told you I reversed my position on gun cleaning. Indeed, most "accidents" that are attributed to cleaning are accidents because the gun owner is an irresponsible idiot. America's full of em.

These consumer safety regulations are interesting but not really important with guns. Guns are dangerous and require a high level of care period. And firearms makers are still responsible in tort law for malfunctioning guns that hurt people because of the malfunction.

Anyway, accidental shootings are another intern from the not a serious problem department.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
March 22nd, 2013 at 6:46:54 PM permalink

an irresponsible idiot. America's full of em.

As is Canada.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 22nd, 2013 at 9:04:41 PM permalink
Quote: timberjim

As is Canada.

EH ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
March 23rd, 2013 at 9:58:57 PM permalink

Not at all. I'm in favor of killing children accidentally. That will mean fewer of them on planes. Besides, wasn't it Thomas Jefferson who said that the Tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of infants from time to time? Good thing that "from time to time" doesn't happen very often. I'll wait until another child is executed accidentally before I post here again. It should be a very long time.

So "a very long time" = 3 days. A 12 year old child was liberated from the Earth by his older brother in what is being described as an accidental shooting. No doubt the responsible freedom loving gun owners will make another child to replace the one that they lost on Friday, lesson learned!

Extra bonus facial rearrangement by a 4 year old playing with a gun is mentioned in the story:
Quote: Orlando Sentinel

On Wednesday, a 4-year-old Pine Hills boy shot himself in the face in the condominium where he lived with his family, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

The 4-year-old is stable but critical after the shooting Wednesday morning inside a unit in the Los Robles Condominiums on Silver Star Road.

Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 24th, 2013 at 6:22:15 PM permalink
Gun accidents are good!! This gentleman blew the top part of his middle finger off in a gun accident. Unsatisfied with having to chop more of his finger off to fit an off-the-shelf prosthetic, he designed his own out of spare bicycle parts. Innovation caused by Liberty and Freedom, praise!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 24th, 2013 at 6:41:28 PM permalink
what's Canada?
Each day is better than the next
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
March 24th, 2013 at 7:10:06 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

what's Canada?

EH ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Maverick17
Maverick17
March 25th, 2013 at 12:04:21 PM permalink

Gun accidents are good!! This gentleman blew the top part of his middle finger off in a gun accident. Unsatisfied with having to chop more of his finger off to fit an off-the-shelf prosthetic, he designed his own out of spare bicycle parts. Innovation caused by Liberty and Freedom, praise!

This from a guy who has invented a way to beat roulette....

You never responded to my answer of your previous question.
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 25th, 2013 at 12:10:38 PM permalink
Quote: Maverick17

This from a guy who has invented a way to beat roulette....

I invented a way to beat Roulette? Did anyone bother to tell me about that achievement?
Quote: Maverick17

You never responded to my answer of your previous question.

I'm sure it was very important. Meanwhile, a father liberated his child from future threats of rape and muggings while cleaning his shotgun in Fairmont, North Carolina. That's okay because he has another child so lesson learned and freedom!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 25th, 2013 at 12:52:29 PM permalink

I invented a way to beat Roulette? Did anyone bother to tell me about that achievement?I'm sure it was very important. Meanwhile, a father liberated his child from future threats of rape and muggings while cleaning his shotgun in Fairmont, North Carolina. That's okay because he has another child so lesson learned and freedom!

Still believe the "cleaning the gun and it went off" thing I see.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 25th, 2013 at 1:46:46 PM permalink

I'm sure it was very important. Meanwhile, a father liberated his child from future threats of rape and muggings while cleaning his shotgun in Fairmont, North Carolina. That's okay because he has another child so lesson learned and freedom!

I still don't understand the point of your links. I can easily come back by posting links to stories about guns saving people's lives, but I won't bother.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 25th, 2013 at 1:50:34 PM permalink

Still believe the "cleaning the gun and it went off" thing I see.

Pray! Tell us what REALLY happened to the 10 year old child! I am incapable of reading between the lines like you are.
Quote: News Report

Christopher Stanlane, 34, was wiping a shotgun down at his home on Gaddy Road Sunday afternoon when it went off, striking Christopher Stanlane, Jr. in the head, according to Capt. Anthony Thompson with the Robeson County Sheriff's Office. Stanlane's son was watching television in front of him.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 25th, 2013 at 2:02:16 PM permalink

Pray! Tell us what REALLY happened to the 10 year old child! I am incapable of reading between the lines like you are.

As myself and others have pointed out here, the "eaning the gun and it went off" is an old excuse to cover something we up. It might cover up foul play or horseplay. It covers up suicides so life insurance will pay.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 25th, 2013 at 4:01:54 PM permalink

As myself and others have pointed out here, the "eaning the gun and it went off" is an old excuse to cover something we up. It might cover up foul play or horseplay. It covers up suicides so life insurance will pay.

I think I'm seeing how this played out:
Christopher Stanlane, Sr.: Honey, we're going to be late with the rent check again this month. I'm going to need you to start turning tricks again like you used to do when I met you.
Wife: No way Jose! Turning tricks is totally immoral and I'm sworn off immorality forever. There must be another way to get some cash. How about Junior's insurance policy. Can we get some money from that at all?
Christopher Stanlane, Sr.: I'll go read the fine print while I clean the shotgun in front of the television.
Wife: You're so smart. Be careful with that shotgun, it might be loaded.
Christopher Stanlane, Sr.: P'shaw, it's never loaded.
Christopher Stanlane, Jr.: Hey dad, can we watch Vegas tonight? I don't like Shark Tank.
Christopher Stanlane, Sr.: You don't like Shark Tank! I'll show you you little, BLAM!
Police Officer: What happened here?
Christopher Stanlane, Sr.: I was cleaning my shotgun and it went off accidentally right into the back of my son's head.
Police Officer: Sounds reasonable to me. Happens all the time!
Christopher Stanlane, Sr.: I promise that I'll be more careful with my daughter and the guns and stuff, lesson learned! Besides, she doesn't even have an insurance policy yet.
Wife: When do we get the insurance money?
boymimbo
boymimbo
March 25th, 2013 at 4:53:09 PM permalink

As myself and others have pointed out here, the "cleaning the gun and it went off" is an old excuse to cover something we up. It might cover up foul play or horseplay. It covers up suicides so life insurance will pay.

And life insurance companies and police departments haven't figured that out yet? I love it. I shot my wife while cleaning my gun, and then while examining the holster I shot the police officer who came to investigate with armor piercing bullets. His partner, well, I took her for a burglar. Self defense! I guess I'll walk away scott-free. Do you think that the life insurance company would do everything in its power to not pay a claim if it had a shred of evidence that it didn't have to?

Most life insurance policies will pay for suicide after you've been covered for a couple of years. If I offed myself tomorrow, it's a bounty for my wife.

Excuses, excuses. Gun accidents happen, all of the time. People are stupid. But we shouldn't legislate stupidity I suppose even if one's stupidity hurts someone else.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 25th, 2013 at 8:36:28 PM permalink

Excuses, excuses. Gun accidents happen, all of the time. People are stupid.

But Az thinks it's all a conspiracy!! Check out this one: Niece attempts murder on Aunt but hits her in the thigh instead. All is forgiven and stories about accidental shootings are agreed upon before the police arrive. Lessons learned, liberty and freedom prevail.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
March 25th, 2013 at 9:55:08 PM permalink
Worst thread ever. At what point are these links counted as spam? We all know they're not conversation starters
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2013 at 3:54:53 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

Worst thread ever. At what point are these links counted as spam? We all know they're not conversation starters

Not really spam but more trolling. The gun-control types here have long since lost the logical argument and they then moved to emotion. When those of us who support individual liberty refused to accept their line of "someone somewhere got hurt in a gun accident so nobody should be allowed to have a gun anywhere ever" they started posting absurd links. When several of us pointed out that any remotely street-wise person knows the "cleaning the gun and it went off" argument is among the oldest dodges ever they then started making silly examples of how it might be used.

This whole thread sums up in two groups. There are those of us who take the position that while more liberty means more risks life will never be risk-free. We believe the person and not the gun is responsible for gun crime and accidents, and without guns another weapon will replace them. And we believe that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible people who handle their guns properly, while criminals will be criminals no matter how many laws you make to stop them.

On the other side they believe if we take away guns the crime rate involving guns will vanish and not be replaced with other crime or violence. They believe that all gun owners are up to no good because "nobody needs a gun." They think we are either some kind of rednecks who toy around with guns in the living room, or some kind of group wanting to overthrow the government, or we are just going to snap and shoot up the next public place, They think if we have a gun it must be locked in a safe with a trigger lock at all times, even when we want to use it. They believe it is OK to take away personal freedoms in the name of "safety" or "security."

Read the posts from both sides and they will come down on one or the other.

Now I will get back to getting ready for work, where by my coffee break I am sure I will see yet another link to some silly story about some accident somewhere, as if in a nation of 300MM+ something bad doesn't happen every day.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 4:46:34 AM permalink

On the other side they believe if we take away guns the crime rate involving guns will vanish and not be replaced with other crime or violence. They believe that all gun owners are up to no good because "nobody needs a gun." They think we are either some kind of rednecks who toy around with guns in the living room, or some kind of group wanting to overthrow the government, or we are just going to snap and shoot up the next public place, They think if we have a gun it must be locked in a safe with a trigger lock at all times, even when we want to use it. They believe it is OK to take away personal freedoms in the name of "safety" or "security."

It's amazing to come here and discover what I believe each day. Just look at all of those straw men that Az was able to set up. Let's look at what "I believe" in greater detail.

On the other side they believe if we take away guns the crime rate involving guns will vanish and not be replaced with other crime or violence.

No. I don't believe that and if you think I believe that then you are stupid. Making it more difficult for people who commit crimes to get their hands on guns is a perfectly reasonable goal. Criminals will not go through background checks so if you require background checks at gun shown then that's one less place where a criminal can easily pick up a weapon.

They believe that all gun owners are up to no good because "nobody needs a gun."

No. I don't believe that and again, if you think I believe that then you are stupid.

They think we are either some kind of rednecks who toy around with guns in the living room, or some kind of group wanting to overthrow the government, or we are just going to snap and shoot up the next public place

Again, stupid. My cousin's husband is a gun nut and a cop. He wants to take me to the shooting range out in Riverhead, NY and I told him that I'd love to go because I'm actually a pretty good shot. My Cousin's husband is as redneck as Joey Ramone and as far as I can tell, he's not part of any whack-a-doodle government overthrow group being that he works for, you know, the government. I'm also fairly comfortable with the knowledge that he's not going to commit mass murder. So that previous statement, wrong, wrong, wrong.

They think if we have a gun it must be locked in a safe with a trigger lock at all times, even when we want to use it.

Again, totally moronic. How can you go hunting or skeet shooting or stay proficient in the use of your weapon if it stays locked up in the safe when you need it to you know, go hunting, skeet shooting or target practice?

They believe it is OK to take away personal freedoms in the name of "safety" or "security."

Now this one has a grain of truth to it. Like we are not allowed to yell FIRE in a crowded theater (unless there's a fire) or yell BINGO in a crowded bingo hall, guns should be well regulated for the safety and welfare of the people who own them and the people around them. So if by "personal freedoms" you mean the ability to shoot up people on a freeway, then by all means!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2013 at 7:45:16 AM permalink
You expect me to believe your statements above after all your links and condescending comments? Just because you say you have a friend who wants to take you to the range? Will you pull a John Kerry and say, "where can I get me some good bullets" at the counter because you think that makes you sound like a real shooter?

Please, I am not a low information voter who falls for such nonsense. Your position has been stated clearly in this thread.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 26th, 2013 at 8:09:04 AM permalink

guns should be well regulated for the safety and welfare of the people who own them and the people around them.

If the 'gun/enthuaist/ law /abiding citizens' could manage their own house properly, no one else would need too!

By policing themselves properly they could probably reduce straw purchases and weapons going to people who shouldn't be getting them, and they could probably load up on all kinds of fancy guns and go about their life hassle free.

That's what I would say to a bunch of kids who needed disciplane in their own activity, and shouldn't have to be pointed out to adults.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 8:31:04 AM permalink

You expect me to believe your statements above after all your links and condescending comments?

No, you clearly choose to believe whatever you want to. I expect nothing from you and so far, have not been disappointed.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 26th, 2013 at 8:42:28 AM permalink
Now, now...let's play nice, folks. We've had 63 pages of spirited—yet civilized—debate, so let's not spoil our good run.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2013 at 9:41:54 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Now, now...let's play nice, folks. We've had 63 pages of spirited—yet civilized—debate, so let's not spoil our good run.

Doing my best to keep it a nice little discussion. Others seem to want to post links about gun accidents and joke about them for some reason.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 11:20:15 AM permalink
Let's go into deep conspiracy mode for a moment because there are no actual gun cleaning accidents:
Man tries to murder wife but before the police show up, all is forgiven and the husband is actually trying to stop the gushing blood from the bullet wound. Another story from Orlando. WTF is wrong with the responsible freedom loving gun owners in Orlando! Well, maybe it's Alaska too. At least today it is.
boymimbo
boymimbo
March 26th, 2013 at 12:55:09 PM permalink
I think s2dbaker's point is that plenty of accidental gun deaths (including cleaning guns) do happen. These gun deaths can be prevented through restrictions commonly known as "gun control".

It is also widely known, getting back on topic, is that criminals get their guns through private sales, gun shows, and theft. While a gun registration system would not prevent crime, eliminating private gun sales and closing the gun show loophole would prevent some guns from getting into the wrong hands. Putting a law that makes homeowners with children to lock up their guns probably would reduce accidental gun deaths involving children. Putting a law in place requiring gun owners to either lock up their guns in their home or have a alarm system in place would probably reduce gun deaths and take guns out of the hands of criminals. Putting in laws and enforcing laws that prevent criminals from handling guns of any time may take guns out of the hands of criminals.

What bothers me about positions that are libertarian in nature is that there is a general acceptance that everything is okay the way it is, and if a Democrat introduces a law, it's inheritently evil. Meanwhile, if something like the Brady bill (or the NRA for that matter who supported gun restrictions when the Black Panthers were doing their thing in Oakland), it's fine. The Patriot act too, for that matter. It's just blind and ignorant faith and creates political divisiveness when it isn't necessary.

Face's analysis of the gun control legislation and how it affects him made me think. I'm all for thoughtful ways to prevent criminals from getting guns and from gun accidents and suicides from happening while someone not making law abiding gun owners feel like their rights are being taken away.

There are laws and regulations that are good and thoughtful in nature. Those laws can include (and do) the regulations of guns and its owners.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 26th, 2013 at 1:20:50 PM permalink
some states are considering mandatory "gun liability insurance".....that should give the gun control kooks some comfort......
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 1:28:31 PM permalink

I think s2dbaker's point is that plenty of accidental gun deaths (including cleaning guns) do happen. These gun deaths can be prevented through restrictions commonly known as "gun control".

Actually, the first point is correct-ish but it's more to show that merely owning a gun for self-protection isn't the most effective way of protecting yourself. It's actually a pretty good way of putting yourself and your family in greater danger. Few believe that guns make living more dangerous so the point needs to be made repeatedly, systematically, coldly and even sarcastically and since these accidental shootings and gun cleaning incidents seem to happen daily, that duty becomes pretty easy.

I disagree on the second point however. The accidental shootings can't be prevented through stricter gun control regulation. People are stupid. Putting them in jail after they accidentally blow their child's brains out only costs taxpayers more money. I'm satisfied with "lesson learned, I'll be more careful next time. Where's that mop at?". Requiring trigger locks is a first step but they are only effective when used. Like I said, people are stupid and some will throw away the locks as soon as they buy the weapon because of freedom/liberty. Many will see the trigger lock as an essential safety device to prevent accidental discharge of the weapon and that's a good thing but it would be nice to require gun manufacturers and re-sellers to provide that option to the new owner.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2013 at 1:30:01 PM permalink
Now that was a polite and professional reply. But here is my problem. We can't keep making more and more laws just because something bad happens. While it is tragic if a child dies in an accidental gun discharge this is not a reason to legislate guns being locked up. (I'd wager that the majority of "children" killed by guns are gang related). We have this mentality of "there ought tone a LAW in the USA. We pass too many. We need leaders with an attitude that it is better to veto 10 good laws than pass one bad one. Coolidge said something similar to that. We did wonderful under him.

We should not pass unenforceble laws like a lock-up law ever. A responsible gun owner already secures his guns. An irresponsible one will ignore it. If 1000 gun laws do not help "stop accidents" then 1001 win not either.

Stopping gun violence requires the nation to face facts it does not want to face. Namely gun violence is more likely in a minority, liberally governed area and less likely in a more white, conservative area. And please don't tell me about columbine and sandy hook. Two incidents in 15 years is not a trend. And in both cases had the actors been confronted about bad behavior earlier tragedy could have been averted.

But it is easier to blame guns.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2013 at 1:33:33 PM permalink

Actually, the first point is correct-ish but it's more to show that merely owning a gun for self-protection isn't the most effective way of protecting yourself. It's actually a pretty good way of putting yourself and your family in greater danger. Few believe that guns make living more dangerous so the point needs to be made repeatedly, systematically, coldly and even sarcastically and since these accidental shootings and gun cleaning incidents seem to happen daily, that duty becomes pretty easy.

I disagree on the second point however. The accidental shootings can't be prevented through stricter gun control regulation. People are stupid. Putting them in jail after they accidentally blow their child's brains out only costs taxpayers more money. I'm satisfied with "lesson learned, I'll be more careful next time. Where's that mop at?". Requiring trigger locks is a first step but they are only effective when used. Like I said, people are stupid and some will throw away the locks as soon as they buy the weapon because of freedom/liberty. Many will see the trigger lock as an essential safety device to prevent accidental discharge of the weapon and that's a good thing but it would be nice to require gun manufacturers and re-sellers to provide that option to the new owner.

How about this idea to solve your issues:

If you do not want a gun in your home don't buy one
If you do want one and want trigger locks then buy them

Then everyone is happy.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 26th, 2013 at 1:45:02 PM permalink

...merely owning a gun for self-protection isn't the most effective way of protecting yourself.

If I'm being attacked, I think shooting the assailant is a very effective way to protect myself.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 26th, 2013 at 1:55:47 PM permalink

…getting back on topic…

Thank god. Yes, let’s.

Putting a law that makes homeowners with children to lock up their guns probably would reduce accidental gun deaths involving children. Putting a law in place requiring gun owners to either lock up their guns in their home or have a alarm system in place would probably reduce gun deaths and take guns out of the hands of criminals.

Perhaps, but do you not see the problem with this? I’m not sure if it’s “law”, but one of the conditions of legally owning a handgun in NYS is you must have a “lockable safe which is permanently attached to the home, or of such size as to be unmovable”. That means either a giant, 4’x 4’x 6’ steel safe, or a small safe that is drilled into the floor / wall with inaccessible lag bolts. And, you guessed it, I have neither. I wasn’t even made to show proof (although I’m not sure what proof could be requested) Further, 5-0 can’t just come to your house and demand access (4th Amendment). So not even using the “home defense” argument that a locked gun is useless to the home owner as well, how would this law effect change? It seems unenforceable. It seems “a law for law’s sake”, one of those “Look! We done did something!” laws that doesn’t do squat.

What bothers me about positions that are libertarian in nature is that there is a general acceptance that everything is okay the way it is, and if a Democrat introduces a law, it's inheritently evil. Meanwhile, if something like the Brady bill (or the NRA for that matter who supported gun restrictions when the Black Panthers were doing their thing in Oakland), it's fine. The Patriot act too, for that matter. It's just blind and ignorant faith and creates political divisiveness when it isn't necessary.

Drop the “libertarian”. It’s the extremism on both sides. Unchecked gun ownership is bad. Authoritarian regulation is bad. And I see a weird thing happening… extremism breeding extremism. On the “pro gun scale”, I was probably a 2 before Sandy Hook, with “0” being dead center, 10 being unhinged gun ownership, and -10 being total banning of guns. My Pops was about the same. Now, I’m at least a 5 and am now on the hunt for 17rd GLOCK mags, and he’s a buffer tube away from having a full auto AR. Why? It’s this weird “push back”, some bizarre tit for tat. Jesus, just look at the AR sales since Sandy Hook. Guys are running over each other to buy these things at 3 times retail, they can’t throw their money out fast enough. It’s insane. Everyone needs to chill out, kill the emotion, and look at the issue with a rational mind.

Face's analysis of the gun control legislation and how it affects him made me think. I'm all for thoughtful ways to prevent criminals from getting guns and from gun accidents and suicides from happening while someone not making law abiding gun owners feel like their rights are being taken away.

There are laws and regulations that are good and thoughtful in nature. Those laws can include (and do) the regulations of guns and its owners.

Wow, this is a proud moment for me. Thanks for the compliment, boymimbo. I think we are getting close to each other in opinions, even though you’re a non-owning Canadian and I’m an American gun nut. Some things proposed and currently enacted might actually be good ideas. The background check, while somewhat inefficient as I proved with my latest purchase, doesn’t really restrict the owner. If P2P sales are still feasible, gun shows can live on, it just hassles us by making a phone call and might even keep a gun out of the hands of a nut, then no, that’s not so bad. I think most of the pro-gun resistance on that would be light. But it’s the attached registrations (which makes us get loud) and mag cap restrictions (which sends us into unhinged land) that are going to keep us fighting for the rest of ever.

I dunno. I’ve been involved in several threads and discussions like this one here, and “new ideas” just aren’t happening. This thread is the same as every other one I’ve been a part of, a little bit of good discussion peppered in a bunch of pointless nonsense. I haven’t even really kept up with my own gun thread on DT, which, except for rxwine, is almost pure pro-gun, and, even with him popping in, has been 100% civil. I’m just wore out on the seemingly never ending circle of arguments.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 26th, 2013 at 2:08:16 PM permalink
What is up with Homeland Security buying a billion+
rounds of ammo and all the military vehicles recently.
I tried to order some .22 rounds yesterday and all
the online stores are sold out. Even Walmart is backordered.
WTF is going on.

http://www.infowars.com/video-hundreds-of-dhs-armored-trucks-on-the-move/
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 2:20:36 PM permalink

If I'm being attacked, I think shooting the assailant is a very effective way to protect myself.

Let's hope you get the chance to do that before you accidentally shoot your wife or kid or self while cleaning your weapons.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
March 26th, 2013 at 2:21:14 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

WTF is going on.

Billions of rounds, street sweeper vehicles, ARs by the boat load, and drones.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wives. Or something…

But I agree, it is curious.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2013 at 2:27:31 PM permalink

Let's hope you get the chance to do that before you accidentally shoot your wife or kid or self while cleaning your weapons.

B9 seems intligent enough that I wouldn't question he knows to clear the chamber before cleaning a firearm.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 2:29:21 PM permalink

B9 seems intligent enough that I wouldn't question he knows to clear the chamber before cleaning a firearm.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people with kids to bury thought the same thing.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 26th, 2013 at 2:30:43 PM permalink

WTF is going on.

the Russians are coming
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
March 26th, 2013 at 2:38:23 PM permalink

That will never happen, but thanks for your concern.

(Also, thx for the compliment, AZ)
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
March 26th, 2013 at 2:47:13 PM permalink

That will never happen, but thanks for your concern.

(Also, thx for the compliment, AZ)

I'm willing to bet that a lot of people with children they've buried thought the same thing. Good luck!!
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 26th, 2013 at 2:48:46 PM permalink

WTF is going on.

400,000 Homeland Security employees, going to a million....works out to 2500 rounds per fed on recent purchase.....
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 26th, 2013 at 2:51:10 PM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

400,000 Homeland Security employees, going to a million....works out to 2500 rounds per fed on recent purchase.....

currently one homeland security hooplehead to every 750 citizens.....thanks EvenBob for new word.
  • Jump to: