Thread Rating:

vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
August 11th, 2011 at 3:33:57 AM permalink
Sorry just need to vent a little.......So I'm watchin the news and I see some retarded chick on there talking about how we need to close the "gun show loophole" and I pretty much wanted to punch my TV......Now, I'm no gun nut but I do own multiple guns and enjoy shooting.......What "closing the gun show loophole" is code for is Making person to person sales of firearms illegal...this is really the only way to close the gun show loophole.....

For those of you not familiar with gun shows or how guns are bought and sold.......When you go to a gun shop they will have a FFL(federal firearms license)....This means every gun they sell you must first fill out a 4473 form. This is to make sure it is legal for you to own a gun. In most cases the gun shop will tell you right away whether or not you are approved becasue its done electronically. Then Of course if you are buying a hand gun their will be a waiting period(Brady Bill). Every gun shop or pawn shop has a FFL this FFL allows them to buy straight from the manufacture.....Without a FFL you cant buy wholesale......and as anyone knows you wont be in business for long if you are buying and selling at retail. That covers the most common way firearms are bought....The other way and less common but still happens a lot is...You buy from another person....like if you neighbor or friend had a gun he was looking to sell or trade to you....this is perfectly legal and no paperwork is required to make the transaction....Although you can send in paperwork to your state when this transaction is made but this is voluntary....In some states(new york) you are required to have all guns registered but in most states you are not.

So basically what happens at a gun show?....90% of the booths/tables set up at a gun show are venders who sell guns for a living and most of them also own a brick and mortar shop, so they have and FFL. If you buy any firearms from them by law you will have to fill out a 4473....But some booths/tables are set up by just some guy who is looking to offload some of his guns...In this case no 4473 is required becasue the guy selling doesn't have an FFL. And at most gun show...there will be people in the parking lot or walking around the gun show holding signs of what they are trying to sell...as they know people are their to buy guns...Although the people putting on the gun show frown on this becasue why pay for a booth if you can just sit in the parking lot with a sign.

In my own personal experience...I have sold guns to people I dont know...friends of friends. there is a form you can get at your local sheriff station...the form is voluntary like I said before but if I'm selling a gun to someone whether I know them or not I sending in the form to the state so they know I no longer own that gun(serial number). I have also bought guns off people I dont know at a gun show(in the parking lot) and got totally burned...I went to register it a couple of days later and the sheriff took it as the serial number came back stolen...this is the risk you take buying from someone without a FFL. Now If I was one of those guys who never registers his guns(which you dont have to by law except is some states but only like 2 I think) becasue he doesn't what the goverment to know he has them<rolling eyes> I would have never know I was in possession of a stolen gun.....Of course I register my guns that the only way I will ever get them back if they are stolen...Just like the guy got his stolen gun back when I went to register it....Sucks becasue it was a really nice 1911 and I paid 650 for it...

So basically the only way to close the "gun show loophole" is to make person to person sales illegal.....why cant these people just come out and say what they are really trying to do? Why do they need to hide behind some code phrase like "close gun show loopholes"? bunch of BS if you ask me!!!!!!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 407
August 11th, 2011 at 3:53:04 AM permalink
Quote: vert1276

.....Now, I'm no gun nut but I do own multiple guns and enjoy shooting...

Speaking to that, I just bought a Browning 12ga pump shotgun last weekend. Its an awesome weapon, very lightweight and works like a Swiss watch. Got enough hand guns.. Naw, I'm lying, you can never have enough hand guns.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
August 11th, 2011 at 4:11:16 AM permalink
That looks like an autoloader to me, not a pump, just sayin'.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
August 11th, 2011 at 4:18:24 AM permalink
I saw an ad on TV complaining about "gun show loopholes". It stated that anybody could walk into one and walk out with a fully automatic weapon! Why do groups like that find it necessary to lie to promote their agenda?
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 169
August 11th, 2011 at 5:00:56 AM permalink
Quote: vert1276

So basically the only way to close the "gun show loophole" is to make person to person sales illegal.....why cant these people just come out and say what they are really trying to do? Why do they need to hide behind some code phrase like "close gun show loopholes"? bunch of BS if you ask me!!!!!!

Perhaps the talking head was as mis-informed as I am as to what "Gun show loophole" means.

I had always believed that it meant that, because of the temporary nature of a show location, that the vendors were able to get around the paperwork and waiting periods.

Thanks for explaining it. If it's as you described (and I have no reason to doubt you), then I'll agree that the name should be changed, and that the "Private Sale Loophole" should be closed.

Of course, it would be simple to ignore such a rule requiring registration of private sales. But at least you could go back and complain that you were sold a stolen gun, and that the seller would have known that if he had obeyed the law and filed the paperwork when he bought it. Granted, that wouldn't do much good if you're buying from a stranger in a parking lot....

Perhaps the solution is for the gun show promoter to embrace the parking lot sales, and to act as a middle man for the paperwork. I.E. Have someone licensed cruise the parking lot. For every gun sold in the parking lot, the vendor (or customer) pays that licensee a relatively small fee to get the form filed electronically on the spot, so you know it isn't stolen.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 407
August 11th, 2011 at 5:13:12 AM permalink
Quote: Alan

That looks like an autoloader to me, not a pump, just sayin'.

You're right. Here's a pic of the pump.

They look very similar and I was not paying much attention..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
August 11th, 2011 at 7:22:00 AM permalink
Next time you're talking to someone who insists on closing the "gun show loophole", mention to them that you are more in favor of closing the "big box store bullet loophole". When asked, explain that it's the loophole that allows anybody, literally anybody, young, old, criminal record or not, walk into a Wal-Mart, purchase a box of bullets, then go steal a gun, and use the combination to kill people.

If they say that's ridiculous, let them know how ridiculous it is to call it a "gun show loophole". On the other hand, if they agree with you, simply shake your head, walk away, and never talk to that person again.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
August 11th, 2011 at 8:02:40 AM permalink
I'm all for gun show loopholes. Jesus knows that Muslim terrorists have to get armed somehow!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
August 11th, 2011 at 8:45:46 AM permalink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZpCLvXsoM
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 11th, 2011 at 11:17:30 AM permalink
Don't you need a good loophole to fire through when under siege?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829

• Jump to: