mickpk
mickpk
  • Threads: 2
May 7th, 2011 at 12:53:29 AM permalink
I know this topic is close to The Wiz's heart (and apologies if he was intending on posting something about this and I beat him to the punch). One might say that Elvis has left the building.

Jacob, Isabella popular names, but Elvis out
May 7, 2011

Jacob was the most popular name for baby boys in 2010 in the United States, while Isabella was the most popular name for baby girls.

Elvis, meanwhile, has left the list of 1000 most popular names for the first time since 1954, according to the the Social Security Administration.

Jacob is on a 12-year run at the top, followed by Ethan, Michael, Jayden and William. Isabella sits at the top for a second year, followed by Sophia, Emma, Olivia and Ava.

Almost 22,000 American boys were named Jacob in 2010, followed by Ethan, Michael, Jayden and William.

Nearly 23,000 American girls were named Isabella, followed by Sophia, Emma, Olivia and Ava.

Names with different spellings were counted separately.

For example, Aiden was No.9 among boys, while Aidan was No.94 and Aaden was No.556.

Among the girls, Chloe was No.9 and Khloe was No.42; Zoe was No.31 and Zoey was No.47.

Baby-naming experts said Americans are pulled by sometimes conflicting impulses when choosing names for their children.

They gravitate toward the popular, wanting their child to fit in.

But many also want their child's name to be unique, so they don't have to share it with four other kids in class at school.

Many turn to the Bible for inspiration, while others turn to popular culture and, increasingly, reality TV.

Maci was the fastest-rising name for girls, and Bentley for boys,

Maci Bookout starred in the US reality TV show, 16 and Pregnant. Her son is named Bentley.

Religious names have even received a new twist. Nevaeh, which is "heaven" spelled backward, made its debut in 2001 at No.266. It is now more popular than ever, reaching No.25 in 2010. Heaven, by the way, dropped 52 spots to No.324.

The Social Security Administration provides lists of baby names on its website dating back to 1880, when the top two names were John and Mary.

The list, which includes top baby names by state, draws millions of people.

Three decades ago, a third of all babies had names that were in the top 20. Last year, only 14 per cent of babies had names from the top 20.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/jacob-isabella-popular-names-but-elvis-out-20110507-1ecyr.html#ixzz1LeQ4h5UE
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
May 7th, 2011 at 4:53:27 AM permalink
Yes, this project I still consider my baby (forgive the pun). They release the latest data every year around mother's day. Here is the top 20 for 2010. I also show the rank for each name in 2000, illustrating that trends change much faster for the girls than the boys. Just look at the #1 girls name, Isabella. It was only 45th most popular for girls in 2000.

2010 Rank Boys 2000 Rank Girls 2000 Rank
1 Jacob 1 Isabella 45
2 Ethan 25 Sophia 42
3 Michael 2 Emma 17
4 Jayden 194 Olivia 16
5 William 11 Ava 180
6 Alexander 20 Emily 1
7 Noah 27 Abigail 14
8 Daniel 9 Madison 3
9 Aiden 324 Chloe 38
10 Anthony 17 Mia 93
11 Joshua 4 Addison 322
12 Mason 64 Elizabeth 9
13 Christopher 5 Ella 265
14 Andrew 7 Natalie 34
15 David 16 Samantha 7
16 Matthew 3 Alexis 6
17 Logan 40 Lily 124
18 Elijah 52 Grace 19
19 James 18 Hailey 35
20 Joseph 8 Alyssa 12

There are other sociological observations about changes since 2009 at http://ssa.gov/pressoffice/pr/baby-names2010-pr.html. A few clicks away you can still find my name under background.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
May 7th, 2011 at 6:11:34 AM permalink
Thanks for the links...it is good that they have kept your name attached to the project.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
May 7th, 2011 at 6:14:32 AM permalink
About a month ago, a survey of the most HATED baby names was published by Live Science. Note that "most hated" isn't the same as "least popular".

The most hated girl's names:

1. Nevaeh ("Heaven" spelled backward and one of the most divisive names around, according to Wattenberg.)
2. Destiny (People dislike names that confer a virtue onto a child, Wattenberg said — and many felt associated this name with exotic dancers.)
3. Madison
4. Mackenzie
5. McKenna
6. Addison (An example of a masculine named turned feminine, which many people dislike, Wattenberg said)
7. Gertrude (People said this name is "ugly.")
8. Kaitlyn (For its "made-up" spelling.)
9. Makayla
10. Bertha
11. Hope

Boy's names:

1. Jayden
2. Brayden
3. Aiden
4. Kaden (These rhyming names struck many as overdone, Wattenberg reported.)
5. Hunter (Too much like a last name or "too violent.")
6. Hayden
7. Bentley (People dislike brand-name names, Wattenberg found, calling them "trashy")
8. Tristan
9. Michael (Too boring, according to some.)
10. Jackson
A falling knife has no handle.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 7th, 2011 at 9:17:48 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

6. Addison (An example of a masculine named turned feminine, which many people dislike, Wattenberg said)
8. Kaitlyn (For its "made-up" spelling.)

I don't like the girls stealing the boys' names either. I can't think of a single incident of it going the other way. Even John has been taken from us (remember Jon Benet Ramsey?).

The made up spellings annoy me too. At once point I tried to group spelling variations of the same name, but threw up my hands in frustration when it came to grouping the girls' names. I'll copy and paste all the Katelyn variants below. I know that creativity and individuality are prized in girls, but it has become so out of hand that I think going with the traditional spelling would now be the radical idea.

Caitlin
Caitlyn
Caiteland
Caitelan
Caitelin
Caitelind
Caitelinn
Caitelyn
Caitelynn
Caithlan
Caithlin
Caithlyn
Caitlan
Caitland
Caitlen
Caitlon
Caitlind
Caitlynn
Caetland
Caetlan
Caetlin
Caetlind
Caetline
Caetlinn
Caetlinne
Caetlyn
Caetlynn
Caetlynne
Cateland
Catelan
Catelind
Cateline
Catelinn
Catelin
Catelyn
Catelynn
Catelynne
Caytelyn
Caytelin
Caytelynne
Caytlan
Caytlin
Caytlyn
Caitlinn
Caitlynne
Kaitlyn
Kaitlin
Kaitlynn
Kaetlin
Kaetlan
Kaetlinne
Kaetlyn
Kaetlynn
Kaetlynne
Kaitlynne
Kaitlyne
Kaitlind
Kaitland
Kaitlinne
Kaitlinn
Kaitlan
Kaithlynn
Kaithlyn
Kaithlin
Kaitelyn
Kaitelynn
Kaitelinne
Kaitelin
Kaiteland
Kaitelan
Kaitelynne
Katelyn
Katelin
Katelynn
Katelyne
Katelynne
Katelynd
Katelinne
Katelinn
Katelind
Kateland
Katelan
Kayetlin
Kayetlinne
Kayetlyn
Kayetlynne
Kaytelin
Kaytelyn
Kaytelynn
Kaytelynne
Kaytlan
Kaytlin
Kaytlinn
Kaytlinne
Kaytlyn
Kaytlynn
Kaytlynne
Keightlin
Source: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/forum/topic39073.html
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
May 7th, 2011 at 9:24:22 PM permalink
I can't stand the name "katelin". It's Kate or Lynn! Make up your mind!!!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
May 11th, 2011 at 6:49:59 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Yes, this project I still consider my baby (forgive the pun).

I've known that Michael was the most popular baby name for decades, but it occurs to me that I only know this because of your research. When you first did the research, were you surprised at how many years Michael held the top spot?

I looked at those tables, and I found out that the name Frank had been going down in ranking for 4 decades before my father was given the name in the mid 1930's. I sometimes get annoyed that he gave the name to me two decades later. I felt that he should have known somehow that the name was well past it's prime. Even as a kid I preferred the name Paco (Spanish nickname) particularly after Paco Serpico became famous.

From what I can tell, no Latin based names remain popular for boys (with Girls it is completely different). The only possible exception is that Justin, which has the power of Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber to drive baby names for two generations.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 11th, 2011 at 7:24:47 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I've known that Michael was the most popular baby name for decades, but it occurs to me that I only know this because of your research. When you first did the research, were you surprised at how many years Michael held the top spot?

No, I wasn't surprised at all. The list was born out of my dislike of having the most popular name. In every classroom there was always one or two other Mikes. At my first job, with about 25 employees, there was not only another Mike, but another Mike S. (Mike Smiley). Since he was hired first I had to be Mike Sh.. Then everyone would whisper when I passed by "Shhhh...Mike Sh is coming." I made the list so other parents would know the popular names, if their goal was to avoid them.
  • Jump to: