Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
March 11th, 2011 at 4:38:11 PM permalink
According to a geophysist at NASA, the earthquake in Japan has caused the Earth to spin faster... I'm glad I didn't invest in that roulette ball velocity monitor system...hehe. On the other hand, my GPS is eventually going to put me in a ditch as it drifts off a little bit each day.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
March 11th, 2011 at 4:41:39 PM permalink
They say Japan moved 8 feet east.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
  • Threads: 42
March 11th, 2011 at 4:44:39 PM permalink
I didn't hear that, but I did hear that the map of Japan will change.

Kinda shines a light on the ancient texts that say stuff like, "And the sea arose and relcaimed the land."

This is a disaster of biblical proportions. Blech.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 11th, 2011 at 4:56:01 PM permalink
Funny you should bring this up. I was just thinking earlier today about the definition of a "day." I thought it was how long it takes the earth to make a complete revolution on its axis, but I think that is wrong. It is generally thought of as the time it takes to go through one day and night cycle. However, because the earth is rotating around the sun, it should take a little extra time after a 360-degree revolution for the same place that faced the sun to start with to face it again.

To put it another way, we know that the earth goes through 365.25 day/night cycles a year. But if my scribbling is correct, the earth would have actually made 366.25 360-degree revolutions over a year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 11th, 2011 at 5:41:05 PM permalink
Wizard:

Just FYI, got this off the built-in dictionary on my computer

Quote:

sidereal day
noun Astronomy
the time between two consecutive transits of the First Point of Aries. It represents the time taken by the earth to rotate on its axis relative to the stars, and is almost four minutes shorter than the solar day because of the earth's orbital motion.

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 11th, 2011 at 5:57:19 PM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

This is a disaster of biblical proportions. Blech.

I was amazed how prepared Japan was techonology wise: underwater detection and underwater tsunami gates at important ports, gyro stabilized buildings, immediate sirens, and auto cell phone calls, auto-shutdown of power plants, safest earthquake resistent nuclear plants in the world

--- yet still... wow.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
March 11th, 2011 at 5:57:47 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

To put it another way, we know that the earth goes through 365.25 day/night cycles a year. But if my scribbling is correct, the earth would have actually made 366.25 360-degree revolutions over a year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are absolutely correct. Earth's rotation rate is about 15.04 deg/hr. The 0.04 causes 1 extra revolution per year.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 11th, 2011 at 6:12:08 PM permalink
Faster? I thought it had slowed down, thats why my dog keeps tipping over.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
JIMMYFOCKER
JIMMYFOCKER
  • Threads: 17
March 11th, 2011 at 7:47:34 PM permalink
Great time to invest in used tires.
teeth1
teeth1
  • Threads: 2
March 11th, 2011 at 8:00:22 PM permalink
It could be all that hot air being expelled by Charlie Sheen at Sober Valley Lodge.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 11th, 2011 at 8:09:23 PM permalink
Thanks for the astronomy help people!

Quote: rxwine

I was amazed how prepared Japan was techonology wise: underwater detection and underwater tsunami gates at important ports, gyro stabilized buildings, immediate sirens, and auto cell phone calls, auto-shutdown of power plants, safest earthquake resistent nuclear plants in the world .

Check out this video. This was a supermarket during the earthquake. Despite some severe shaking the workers are trying to keep the bottles from falling of the shelves. If that happened here everybody would think "To hell with the bottles -- where is a table I can crawl under?!"
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 11th, 2011 at 8:43:23 PM permalink

I was amazed how prepared Japan was techonology wise: underwater detection and underwater tsunami gates at important ports, gyro stabilized buildings, immediate sirens, and auto cell phone calls, auto-shutdown of power plants, safest earthquake resistent nuclear plants in the world

--- yet still... wow.

Japan is often called the nation that is most prepared for disaster. It's a national obsession, and drills are conducted all over the country on the anniversary of the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923.

Of course, the wisdom of building one of mankind's most important cities in one of the most unstable places on the planet will be called into question. Particularly since so many American insurance companies have invested so heavily in Tokyo. The Japanese are not idiots. They have been giving the American companies a healthy profit decade after decade, allowing insurance executives to retire well. Of course it will all come due at once.

The 1995 Kobe quake caused $100bn in damage and was the most expensive natural disaster in history. Economic damage from the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, which killed over 30 times as many people, was estimated at about $10bn. The cost of a human life is the same in God's eyes, but not to the world's economy.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 12th, 2011 at 4:09:09 AM permalink

... safest earthquake resistent nuclear plants in the world

the news this morning seems to be that the nuclear plant may be doing a meltdown disaster
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
March 12th, 2011 at 8:19:23 AM permalink
Eco-tards blame global warming for Japan earthquake.

That didn't take long ... but personally, I would blame plate tectonics. Both climate change and plate tectonics have been going on since the earth was formed, I'm pretty sure we can't stop those things.

And the guy's weird, nearly-divine reference to Mother Nature comes across as nothing less than proselytizing.

Crazy nutjobs ...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 12th, 2011 at 9:21:41 AM permalink

That didn't take long ... but personally, I would blame plate tectonics. Both climate change and plate tectonics have been going on since the earth was formed, I'm pretty sure we can't stop those things.

And the guy's weird, nearly-divine reference to Mother Nature comes across as nothing less than proselytizing.

Crazy nutjobs ...

Well, when you get a fever don't you toss and turn? I hope it doesn't cause the population in Japan to relocate to anoter part of the island and tip it over.

Seriously, global warming is a religion anymore. The people who are it's big believers need to believe in something as many people do, but they do not want to go to a regualar church because they don't like the moral behavioral constraints.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wavy70
Wavy70
  • Threads: 15
March 12th, 2011 at 9:54:59 AM permalink

Crazy nutjobs ...

Conversely the Jeso-Tards (GOP Teaparty) found the real reason of the quake.

If Buddha only accepted Jesus.

I must give you credit Itscalled. You always seem to be able to find the most extreme argument and pose it as the true liberal agenda. Good work. Drudge may need help. Oddly after a Google search for "Japan Earthquake Global Warming" the Majority of the results were from Right wing sites all posting that the "Liberals" are pushing this and most articles cite Twitter posts as the "evidence" that its global warming.
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
Wavy70
Wavy70
March 12th, 2011 at 9:59:37 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Seriously, global warming is a religion anymore. The people who are it's big believers need to believe in something as many people do, but they do not want to go to a regualar church because they don't like the moral behavioral constraints.

Are you calling George W Bush a non church goer or is he an Eco nut?
I have a bewitched egg that I use to play VP with and I have net over 900k with it.
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
March 12th, 2011 at 10:19:04 AM permalink
Quote: Wavy70

Conversely the Jeso-Tards (GOP Teaparty) found the real reason of the quake.

If you're going to cite a link, use its headline, not one you make up

I must give you credit Itscalled. You always seem to be able to find the most extreme argument and pose it as the true liberal adgenda. Good work. Drudge may need help.

A little defensive, aren't we? Who said anything about liberals and their agenda?

Eco-tards are extreme "true believers" whose extreme take of the Japan earthquake I pointed out. Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't mention any agenda at all, liberal or otherwise. Any connection to liberalism, mainstream or otherwise, or its agenda, is a leap you made, not one I wrote. If you try to explain the connection using any language similar to "when you said THIS, you really meant THAT," then that describes your leap, not my comment. You won't be able to make a connection without doing that.

FWIW, I don't know what the "true liberal agenda" (whatever that means) is. If you do, and if my comment hit so close to it as to cause such an over-reaction ... well, that was both truly accidental on my part and truly revealing on yours.

Although, you may get a little resistance from the good people at the EESC on your "most extreme argument" take. I think they view themselves as sort of a mini-UN for Europe, not some fringe group.

(Really?!? Gospel-driven disciples blog .com = Tea Party? With your headline in the link, not theirs? Heh heh heh!!! Besides, seeing the nature and behavior of their protests, I'd say the Tea Party >> Labor Unions all day long.)
Wavy70
Wavy70
March 12th, 2011 at 10:35:27 AM permalink
Uh why should I be constrained to use the title of the Webpage I link when you feel no compulsion to do the same? So attempt to practice what you preach before your next sermon.

(Really?!? Gospel-driven disciples blog .com = Tea Party? With your headline in the link, not theirs? Heh heh heh!!! Besides, seeing the nature and behavior of their protests, I'd say the Tea Party >> Labor Unions all day long.)

Edit: you are also a bit confused on the role of the EESC far from Europe's "UN".
  • Jump to: