pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 16th, 2011 at 10:02:22 PM permalink
When I worked for the Navy about 15 years ago, I went to Manama Bahrain where the 7th fleet is established. The Pearl Monument was right downtown near my hotel

I think that President Obama may have made the worst mistake of his presidency by throwing Mubarak under the bus. He was an ally for decades. If Bahrain goes down , and we lose COMCENTCOM then we may have a very ugly world.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 16th, 2011 at 10:05:30 PM permalink
Mubarak was going under the bus whether Obama supported him or not. The army holds a lot of the power in Egypt, and if they wanted a change, they'd get a change, and if the people are making enough noise, they'll make the change.

The chain reaction around the Middle East of demonstration against those in charge is interesting and also dangerous depending what shakes out where.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 16th, 2011 at 11:41:49 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Mubarak was going under the bus whether Obama supported him or not. The army holds a lot of the power in Egypt, and if they wanted a change, they'd get a change, and if the people are making enough noise, they'll make the change.

The chain reaction around the Middle East of demonstration against those in charge is interesting and also dangerous depending what shakes out where.

He may have gone down regardless of what the President said, but it affects are other allies. Relationships are complex. The Royal family of Bahrain is Sunni, and most of the people are Shiite. Iran has a historical claim on the island. You are looking at conflicts that are over a millenium old.

Bahrain is mentioned in the oldest piece of literature in the world and it has a claim at being the location of the Garden of Eden.
  • Jump to: