1 vote (2.7%)
1 vote (2.7%)

37 members have voted

SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
February 10th, 2011 at 6:11:57 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

0Keep in mind that there are landmasses, such as Greenland, Hawaii, etc. that are not considered part of any of the seven continents.

That is not true as a clear post in this thread pointed out.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 10th, 2011 at 7:16:04 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Continental identification carries political, economic and social ramifications. Witness the African Unity organizations, SEATO, NATO, OAS, ANZAC and on and on and on.

Someone who has not been in the region for years might make that uninformed statement. People familiar with the region know that in terms of the developing world, it has superior roadways, especially in view of extremely rugged terrains and especially in countries like Guatemala, El Salvador and Costa Rica.

I meant the distinction specifically between "North America" and "South America".

The impassability I refer to is nowadays more in terms of the terrain, the lack of decent roads, and the necessity to pay bribes, evade armed gangs, and to not be in a particular country when the next regularly scheduled coup or revolution breaks out.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 10th, 2011 at 7:17:20 PM permalink

That is not true as a clear post in this thread pointed out.

The "clear post" was completely full of it. What "continent" is Greenland part of? Europe? Antarctica? What about Hawaii? Africa, perhaps?
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 10th, 2011 at 7:18:56 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

Blah blah blah.

Oooooooo...Wikipedia! A definitive source if dere ever wuz one!
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 10th, 2011 at 7:22:35 PM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Quote: mkl654321I doubt very much that any National Geographic map, or any other of their sources, designates Panama as part of North America. Keep in mind that there are landmasses, such as Greenland, Hawaii, etc. that are not considered part of any of the seven continents; Central America would seem to qualify in this regard.[/q

Look it up and then appologize for your arrogance (oh I forgot you are a teacher and know everything) . Since since this is a gambling site we can also make a bet that NG's map of North America includes the areas I identified as being in North America. You pick the amount of the bet, anything up to $100 and I will provide the link. It is not hidden and is on the website.

I doubted that the map said that; however, it's certainly possible that National Geographic has decided that there's no such place as Central America.

And I'm not going to "apologize" for my "arrogance" in thinking that Central America exists. (And I am a teacher, yes. I do not know everything. But I do know a bit about geography--such as the fact that Central America exists, even if some website says it doesn't. Even if that website is sponsored by National Geographic.)
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 10th, 2011 at 10:08:57 PM permalink

Quote: teddys

Blah blah blah.

Oooooooo...Wikipedia! A definitive source if dere ever wuz one!

Cute, but the point was that the border has been alternatively drawn either in the middle of Panama or on the Panama/Colombia border, so there isn't a definitive answer. I'm not sure what National Geographic says.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
February 11th, 2011 at 6:46:44 AM permalink

The "clear post" was completely full of it. What "continent" is Greenland part of? Europe? Antarctica?

The answer was crystal clear in the post. It is increasingly clear that you refuse to read or utterly ignore what is posted and that you refuse to look at all at standard Web sources. That is contrary to a basic tenet of any intellectually curious individual. It is an especially problematic characteristic for a teacher presenting as a role model.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
February 11th, 2011 at 6:57:45 AM permalink

I doubted that the map said that; however, it's certainly possible that National Geographic has decided that there's no such place as Central America.

You don't have to "doubt." You can take a 5-second search and come up with results like this:

Travel Library - Central & South America - National
Planning a trip to the National Parks? Submit your questions and get expert advice from the Park Rangers themselves.
traveler.nationalgeographic.com/ travel-books/ central-and-south-america-text - Proxy

National Geographic Adventure Travel Guides: Central America
How to plan your own itinerary for a two-week, two-month, or one-year trip in Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama.
www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0210/trips_33_centamer.html - Proxy

National Geographic Maps | Central America
Our most detailed wall map of Central America, extensively updated with new National Parks in Guatemala, new administrative boundaries in Guatemala and Panama, and revised elevation figures...
www.natgeomaps.com/central_america - Proxy

North America -- National Geographic
A guide to North America with articles, photos, facts, videos, and news from National Geographic.
travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/continents/north-america/ - Proxy

Video -- Central America -- National Geographic
Watch the people and cultures of the region come alive in thrilling videos.
video.nationalgeographic.com/ video/ player/ places/ regions-places/ central-america/ - Proxy

Caves, Caves Information, Karst Facts, News, Photos -- National Geographic
Interactive tour of Chiquibul, Central America by National Geographic photographer Stephen Alvarez.
www.nationalgeographic.com/chiquibul/ - Proxy

1939 National Geographic map of Central America #MAP25
1939 National Geographic map of Mexico, Central America and the West Indies. Includes insets of Panama, Puerto Rico, Saint Thomas, Jamaica, Cuba, Berm
www.ecrater.com/ p/ 10516736/ 1939-national-geographic-map-of-central-america - Proxy

Geographic Map of South America | www.DestinationThere.com
Amazon.com: National Geographic Map of South America (9780528849343): ... National Geographic Map | Central & South America and More
www.destinationthere.com/Geographic_Map_of_South_America - Proxy

Quote:

And I'm not going to "apologize" for my "arrogance" in thinking that Central America exists. (And I am a teacher, yes. I do not know everything. But I do know a bit about geography--such as the fact that Central America exists, even if some website says it doesn't. Even if that website is sponsored by National Geographic.)

For whatever reason (presumably a bad experience) that someone has with the topic of this sub-thread, that still does not fully explain the distortions, spurious implications and outright misstatements.
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 11th, 2011 at 10:12:21 AM permalink

The answer was crystal clear in the post. It is increasingly clear that you refuse to read or utterly ignore what is posted and that you refuse to look at all at standard Web sources. That is contrary to a basic tenet of any intellectually curious individual. It is an especially problematic characteristic for a teacher presenting as a role model.

I don't let my students use or quote so-called "standard Web sources" because there is no provenance or independent fact-checking done for those sources. Doubtless, most of the material on those sites is, in fact, accurate. But a LOT of it is not. Yes, my students whine and complain about my prohibition.

Refusal to look at some anonymous person's blog or website on the internet isn't a lack of intellectual curiosity; it's a disinclination to waste one's time. When someone tells me, "I looked on the internet, and it says there's no such place as Central America!!!!!!", I'm not inclined to see which goofball website that person is quoting, any more than I would bother to verify a student's claim that South Dakota borders China, because the internet told him so.

And the only way I'm presenting myself as a "role model", as you put it, if at all, is when I say, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
mkl654321
mkl654321
February 11th, 2011 at 10:20:29 AM permalink

For whatever reason (presumably a bad experience) that someone has with the topic of this sub-thread, that still does not fully explain the distortions, spurious implications and outright misstatements.

You presume incorrectly. I've been to the region twice, and each time my experience was very enjoyable.

Look, I realize what's going on here. I quoted SOMEONE ELSE'S book, and "The Nine Nations of North America" didn't include the nations of Nicaragua, El Salvador, etc. in any of those nations. You perceive that as some kind of slight, and have been riding to the defense of those poor left-out nations. The recent attempt by many to include Central America in North America is due to a burst of PC-ness; "Central America" is somewhat pejorative these days, denoting "region of politically unstable, impoverished republics mostly ruled by strongmen." So why not just say that there is no such place as Central America? Panama is now part of North America! Problem solved!

In any case, this non-issue seems to have profoundly upset you, so I will allow you to include Panama, Costa Rica, etc. as part of North America if you wish. You may also include Brazil, Norway, Japan, and Neptune. I won't mark you down as a result--after all, ANY nation or planet can be part of North America IF IT WANTS TO.

• Jump to: