Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 9th, 2023 at 12:42:52 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thank you!

As to other comments, for some reason in the early 2000's I ranked very well for phrases such as "Is my boyfriend cheating on me?" Somehow the search engines gave me a lot points for that topic. However, the questions dwindled off. I haven't been asked a relationship question in years now.

I would like to ask you a relationship question that I ask all my friends. How did you meet your wife?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 9th, 2023 at 12:59:23 PM permalink
…it was a dark and stormy night.

There was a knock at the door.

Looked out the peep hole…

There she was

Her car had broke down.

Her hair was tossed across her brow

But a bright blue eye peeked through.

Just one though

That’s all she had.

When I saw her sweatshirt which said, “SZICMLEJDOWMSLO” I knew right then.

Yessiree…
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 9th, 2023 at 5:42:27 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Thank you!

As to other comments, for some reason in the early 2000's I ranked very well for phrases such as "Is my boyfriend cheating on me?" Somehow the search engines gave me a lot points for that topic. However, the questions dwindled off. I haven't been asked a relationship question in years now.

I would like to ask you a relationship question that I ask all my friends. How did you meet your wife?
link to original post

Is this open to all, and should it split to its own thread?
(I won't get sore either way, but I have a hunch there are some stories that would qualify as absolute peaches.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 9th, 2023 at 5:49:46 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

(I won't get sore either way, but I have a hunch there are some stories that would qualify as absolute peaches.)
link to original post

If you don't make it into its own thread it will just hijack this one and cause SooPoo nothing but pain and anxiety until it's resolved. So please leave it here and do not make another thread..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
September 9th, 2023 at 5:50:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

If you don't make it into its own thread it will just hijack this one and cause SooPoo nothing but pain and anxiety until it's resolved. So please leave it here and do not make another thread..
link to original post

That is funny. LOL
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 9th, 2023 at 5:59:01 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That is funny. LOL
link to original post

It's funny and true. How often does he come into this thread wringing his hands beseeching us to quit hijacking the thread. It really upsets his delicate sensibilities.. LOL
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
September 9th, 2023 at 6:06:23 PM permalink

Thank you!

link to original post

link to original post

Break it off into it's own thread.

I want to know how a math geek (his Popeye arms developed for a reason :p ) got a girl to marry him for so long
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 9th, 2023 at 6:52:50 PM permalink
Now broken off into its own thread.
Hopefully the relevant chatter came along...

Enjoy the day!
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 9th, 2023 at 7:15:34 PM permalink

Thank you!

link to original post

One of my brother-in-law's side-chicks was on the outs with her fiance, embarking on a "weird time in her life" (as she now describes it), and decided to set me up with one of her friends from school (Ashly).
Because, you know, clearly it's a great idea to be getting introduced to someone (me) who is already married.
I believe we went on 3 or 4 dates, before I started regularly dating my brother-in-law's side-chick's roommate.
After about a year of that, the brother-in-law's side-chick's roommate got pregnant by someone else, and we had something of a falling out. The brother-in-law's side-chick said I should give Ashly a call again, since she was still single, and still felt like we might have some things in common.

This does skip over some of the side drama where my father-in-law was simultaneously trying to set me up with some of his ex's.

DRich
DRich
September 10th, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM permalink
My wife worked for Huntington Press and Las Vegas Advisor in Las Vegas. She was a moderator on their forums and planned a meetup where about 50 people attended. About a month after that she called and ask me to teach her blackjack basic strategy because she was asked to join a card counting team. Our first "date" was playing $3 blackjack at the Golden Gate.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
September 10th, 2023 at 9:10:07 AM permalink
I moved back to California from Boston in 2007. I was looking up guys who went to Sonoma State and started chatting with Max on Facebook in early August. We ended up being in the same English class senior year of college. We had our first date October 25, 2007, got married on October 24, 2008. I wanted to have the wedding be on October 25 but the county clerk's office was closed that day. Looking forward to our sixteen year anniversary as I prefer to go by day of first date, not marriage date.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 10th, 2023 at 9:28:32 AM permalink
wife #1: I was investigating a personal injury case and found myself lost in the mountains.

Looking for my bearings I went to a home to ask directions; the owner offered me a beer, which I accepted.

My soon to be girl friend / wife arrived: pretty as can be and "country-wild" and untamed.

She drank me under the table; I woke up the next day in the attic (not with her by my side).

Boy did opposites attract.

Wife #2: Met in a bar, introduced by a mutual friend.

I'd just finished an arbitration wherein my client, the owner of a nice house festooned with wood floors and walls, had made the mistake of renting her home to a family which unbeknownst to her turned it into a cattery, with a hundred free roaming cats pissing, pooping, and clawing with abandon.

note: Both women were recently separated from their husbands: guess I liked to catch 'em on the rebound.

Nothing wrong with buyng "used."
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 10th, 2023 at 10:51:09 AM permalink
I met my wife because I was chasing one of her younger sisters so I really wasn't paying all that much attention to my wife but she was studying me. She decided I was who she wanted so she went after me and she got me. If you think you chose your wife, you are dreaming. The women always choose us, they always decide who they're going to marry. What we want has little to do with it. It's that way in the animal kingdom, the female always chooses the male, she chooses who she's going to mate with and women are no different. That was a long time ago and do you think my wife has forgotten that I was originally after her sister? Yeah, right. It comes up on a regular basis.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 10th, 2023 at 12:09:54 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That is funny. LOL
link to original post

It's funny and true. How often does he come into this thread wringing his hands beseeching us to quit hijacking the thread. It really upsets his delicate sensibilities.. LOL
link to original post

Bob has tried to hijack another thread with his childish post. Par for the course.

My story is this….. Needed a new dentist. Went in to new office. Am seated. Very attractive hygienist comes in. When poking around calling out numbers the very attractive assistant types them in. After the hygienist is done the SMOKING HOT dentist comes in. For a second I think I’m being set up! No way three women this attractive are really assigned to take care of me. I’m married to the dentist now.
DRich
DRich
September 10th, 2023 at 2:21:12 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

My story is this….. Needed a new dentist. Went in to new office. Am seated. Very attractive hygienist comes in. When poking around calling out numbers the very attractive assistant types them in. After the hygienist is done the SMOKING HOT dentist comes in. For a second I think I’m being set up! No way three women this attractive are really assigned to take care of me. I’m married to the dentist now.

Good setup, can you give us a little more. How many unnecessary appointments did you schedule with her before the first date? Was it your incredible incisors that attracted her to you? When she agreed to marry you, did you start to question her judgement or have a little concern about her mental state? Would you agree that you may have out kicked your coverage?
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 10th, 2023 at 3:05:33 PM permalink

Was it your incredible incisors that attracted her to you? When she agreed to marry you, did you start to question her judgement or have a little concern about her mental state? Would you agree that you may have out kicked your coverage?
link to original post

LOLOLOL!!! Post of the day from Drich!! I thought many of the same things because of the huge age difference, you have to wonder how long before he played the 'doctor' card. Most doctors I've known will let you know their profession in about the first 60 seconds of meeting them because they're so impressed with it they think everybody else is. And a lot of people are. I'm not, but that didn't happen overnight. It took me a long time to realize that a lot of doctors have a lot of problems and do not judge a book by its cover. The cover being, I'm a doctor, I'm perfect, I'm the smartest guy in the room, you can take everything I say to the bank. Yeah, no...
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
September 10th, 2023 at 3:39:58 PM permalink

Was it your incredible incisors that attracted her to you? When she agreed to marry you, did you start to question her judgement or have a little concern about her mental state? Would you agree that you may have out kicked your coverage?
link to original post

LOLOLOL!!! Post of the day from Drich!! I thought many of the same things because of the huge age difference, you have to wonder how long before he played the 'doctor' card. Most doctors I've known will let you know their profession in about the first 60 seconds of meeting them because they're so impressed with it they think everybody else is. And a lot of people are. I'm not, but that didn't happen overnight. It took me a long time to realize that a lot of doctors have a lot of problems and do not judge a book by its cover. The cover being, I'm a doctor, I'm perfect, I'm the smartest guy in the room, you can take everything I say to the bank. Yeah, no...
link to original post

I honestly notice the opposite (anecdotally.) Most (medical) Doctors that I know are terrified that somebody may bring it up socially because they hate getting inundated with all kinds of random medical questions at every event.

Though I would imagine a medical appointment is a reasonable time to bring up the fact that you are a Doctor (if you want to ask about specific options.)

Almost everyone I know who insists on introducing themselves as, "Doctor X" (even at times where it is not remotely relevant) just has some random PhD or EdD (actually generally EdD.)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 10th, 2023 at 4:22:10 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I think I have problems similar to APs, lawyers, bar owners, bank tellers, etc…. She always has considered us equals, as she has a Doctorate as well. Never ‘looked up’ to me. As far as ‘the Doctor card’, I’m pretty sure many of the women I dated before I started dating my now wife were impressed. But I do agree that they really shouldn’t have been. Of the dozen or so women I dated between divorce and wife number 2 I only felt one was interested in me because of money.

9 years is not a huge age difference in my opinion.
DRich
DRich
September 10th, 2023 at 4:35:25 PM permalink

My wife is also 9 years younger than me. I know for a fact that money was not the reason she was interested in me. Yes, mental health problems do run in her family.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 10th, 2023 at 4:46:40 PM permalink
My wife is also 9 years younger than me.
She was more interested in comped crab dinners than money.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 10th, 2023 at 4:50:56 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

link to original post

link to original post

I honestly notice the opposite (anecdotally.) Most (medical) Doctors that I know are terrified that somebody may bring it up socially because they hate getting inundated with all kinds of random medical questions at every event.

Though I would imagine a medical appointment is a reasonable time to bring up the fact that you are a Doctor (if you want to ask about specific options.)

Almost everyone I know who insists on introducing themselves as, "Doctor X" (even at times where it is not remotely relevant) just has some random PhD or EdD (actually generally EdD.)
link to original post

That is my experience, as well. In NY, my social circle included many medical and other Ph.D.s and the few who introduced themselves as Dr. X or whoever were almost always lawyers or educators. The exceptions were when a doctor was introducing one doctor to another. I haven't met many since I'm living out west.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
odiousgambit
September 10th, 2023 at 4:58:32 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: Gandler

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

That is my experience, as well. In NY, my social circle included many medical and other Ph.D.s and the few who introduced themselves as Dr. X or whoever were almost always lawyers or educators. The exceptions were when a doctor was introducing one doctor to another. I haven't met many since I'm living out west.
link to original post

I agree, it seems like Phd's are the ones that want the recognition. Unless I am in their professional setting I never refer to anyone by their title. If someone at a social gathering introduces themselves to me as "Dr. Joe Johnson", at the end of the conversation I will always say it was a pleasure to meet you Mr. Johnson.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 10th, 2023 at 5:01:52 PM permalink

Of the dozen or so women I dated between divorce and wife number 2 I only felt one was interested in me because of money.
link to original post

That's because doctor money is not real money anymore. Catching a man with doctor money was all the rage up until about the '90s. There are so many men now who make way more money than doctors do that doctor money doesn't impress anybody but doctors anymore.

"I’m pretty sure many of the women I dated before I started dating my now wife were impressed. But I do agree that they really shouldn’t have been."

Sure you do. LOL
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 10th, 2023 at 5:05:48 PM permalink

My wife is also 9 years younger than me. I know for a fact that money was not the reason she was interested in me. Yes, mental health problems do run in her family.
link to original post

I thought it would be some romantic story like you met fighting over the last gas station hot dog. Mental health problems in her family, not nearly as romantic..
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 207
September 10th, 2023 at 5:32:05 PM permalink
I met my wife the old fashioned way: I picked her up in a crummy dive bar. 🤪

——

My wife is 8 years younger than me. I was 36 at the time. It was 3/31/95.

I was a DJ at a small club that really had no right calling itself a club. Really just a bar with a small dance floor.

She was a regular that I knew. One night she asked for a request (Brown Eyed Girl). There was a twinkle in her eye (she says it was the booze). I asked her out to breakfast when the place closed.

By the time we got there, it was April First. Significant? Maybe…
I invented a few casino games. Info: http://www.DaveMillerGaming.com/ ————————————————————————————————————— Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
September 10th, 2023 at 5:41:59 PM permalink
A woman I knew casually at work and I were both individually approached by co-workers claiming everyone was getting together at a local watering hole after work. When I arrived I saw her seated at the bar wearing a white blouse with a collar bow and a brown and white plaid skirt. I bought her a drink and struck up a conversation while we waited for others to show. Near the end of that drink we realized we had been set up - no one else was coming. She accepted a second drink. We celebrated our fortieth wedding anniversary last week.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
DRich
DRich
September 10th, 2023 at 6:08:09 PM permalink
Since the Wizard hasn't joined the conversation even though the question was addressed to him, I am going to speculate on his first encounter.

My theory is that the Wizard met his now wife while they were both working at the Social Security Administration. He was probably trying to do magic tricks to entertain other employees. His act was going poorly and this beautiful woman feeling sorry for him faked interest and excitement so his feelings wouldn't be hurt. After mesmerizing her with his actuarial skills he dazzled her with his baby name list and suggested names for their future kids,
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 10th, 2023 at 6:40:38 PM permalink

Since the Wizard hasn't joined the conversation even though the question was addressed to him, I am going to speculate on his first encounter.

My theory is that the Wizard met his now wife while they were both working at the Social Security Administration. He was probably trying to do magic tricks to entertain other employees. His act was going poorly and this beautiful woman feeling sorry for him faked interest and excitement so his feelings wouldn't be hurt. After mesmerizing her with his actuarial skills he dazzled her with his baby name list and suggested names for their future kids,
link to original post

Mike has said his wife is both Asian and a nurse so he probably met her in the hospital when he had food poisoning from one of his many Las Vegas restaurant excursions.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
September 10th, 2023 at 7:16:08 PM permalink
I think his line was "do you wanna come upstairs and see my abacus?"
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
September 10th, 2023 at 7:34:52 PM permalink
I attended a party at my bosses house at which he had asked his four married daughters and their husbands to attend. After a fair amount of adult beverages had been consumed, I was standing next to my boss and I pointed at one of his daughters across the room and said "If that one ever becomes available, please let me know."

To my surprise, I received a phone call from my boss about two and a half years later. I was living in California on a multi-year assignment at the time. He told me that his daughter, the one that I was interested in, was separated and her divorce would be final in a couple of months. Would I please ask her out on a date?

The timing wasn't good. She was in Tennessee, I was in California. And I had a girlfriend in California. And to be honest, I barely remembered what this daughter looked like. But my boss insisted on giving me her phone number and asked that I call her before my next trip back to Tennessee. Which I did, and asked her out on a date.

His daughter was not excited about this date either. She had formed a negative impression of me from that party 2 1/2 years ago. In fact, she later told me she thought I was a jerk! But she decided she needed to get into the swing of dating again, so she agreed to go out with me.

I stood in the living room, waiting, when a girl walked down the stairs. My heart sunk and I thought "Oh, no. I'm not feeling any chemistry at all." And the girl laughed and said "No, wait, I'm her sister. She'll be down in a moment." And when I finally did see my date, I started gulping in air, trying to breathe.

At the end of a very enjoyable first date, she said to me: "We didn't even talk to each other at my Dad's party. We never really met. Why did you single me out and talk to my Dad about me?" Well, one should always tell the truth when asked a question like this, so I knew the simple truth I was going to say, but being a bit of an articulate son-of-a-gun I stopped for a moment to consider how to phrase the sentiment.

And, finally I replied "If ever I saw beauty and wanted it, it was the dream of you."

This past month we have been married 35 years.

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
Thanked by
unJon
September 10th, 2023 at 9:00:26 PM permalink
I interviewed her and offered her a job on the spot. I’ll tell the whole story one day if I ever get to 5000 posts.
jackwilliam1
jackwilliam1
  • Threads: 0
October 20th, 2023 at 11:07:11 PM permalink
That's a heartwarming story! It's wonderful to hear about your journey from chatting on Facebook to celebrating your upcoming sixteen-year anniversary based on your first date. Congratulations to you both, and may your love continue to grow stronger with each passing day! If you have any plans for your upcoming anniversary, perhaps a special wedding gift to mark the occasion, I hope it's a beautiful and memorable one! 🥂💑💍🎁
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
October 21st, 2023 at 7:19:29 AM permalink
Just respond to every one of evenbob post and you should be at 5,000 posts by next weekend haha. Sounds like it would be an interesting story.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
DieterunJon
October 21st, 2023 at 8:41:44 AM permalink
If it’s okay, for someone who used to post a lot but doesn’t post much any more,

I had just moved to a new city for a job, and I didn’t know anybody in the area, not a soul other than the people I was working with. After a couple months, when I was sure I was staying, I said to a coworker, I don’t know any girls around here, did he know anyone? And he asked his girlfriend, and she said she might. So we got set up on a blind date. Bill and I were sitting in the bar, and she and Doris (Bills girlfriend) walked in, and the thought just FLASHED into my mind: “Son of a bitch. So this is who I’m going to marry.” I swear to god, that was exactly the way I thought it. The very next thought, which I had control over, was, “I hope I like her.”

That was 1987. Every now and then one of us will say, “They said we’d never make it.” And the other of us says back, “Well, we haven’t yet.”
A falling knife has no handle.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mosca
October 21st, 2023 at 11:04:15 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

If it’s okay, for someone who used to post a lot but doesn’t post much any more,

I had just moved to a new city for a job, and I didn’t know anybody in the area, not a soul other than the people I was working with. After a couple months, when I was sure I was staying, I said to a coworker, I don’t know any girls around here, did he know anyone? And he asked his girlfriend, and she said she might. So we got set up on a blind date. Bill and I were sitting in the bar, and she and Doris (Bills girlfriend) walked in, and the thought just FLASHED into my mind: “Son of a bitch. So this is who I’m going to marry.” I swear to god, that was exactly the way I thought it. The very next thought, which I had control over, was, “I hope I like her.”

That was 1987. Every now and then one of us will say, “They said we’d never make it.” And the other of us says back, “Well, we haven’t yet.”
link to original post

My thoughts are usually just the opposite. I hope I don't marry this one too.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 21st, 2023 at 11:31:05 AM permalink

My thoughts are usually just the opposite. I hope I don't marry this one too.
link to original post

Or I hope I don't 'have' to marry this one.
  • Jump to: