Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 4th, 2023 at 5:48:20 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: DRich

I still find the easiest way to lose weight is to just quit eating until you have reached your goal.
link to original post

I'm not suicidal.
link to original post

The average person can go over 30 days without food and survive. Heavier people can usually go longer.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 4th, 2023 at 6:45:37 AM permalink

I still find the easiest way to lose weight is to just quit eating until you have reached your goal.
link to original post

I'm not suicidal.
link to original post

The average person can go over 30 days without food and survive. Heavier people can usually go longer.
link to original post

Can? Probably.
I know I get pretty cranky after about 3 days fasting, however.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 4th, 2023 at 8:30:26 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

. Here in the south Barbeque Sauce is a pandemic: its a great source of wide asses. Minimize it.
link to original post

"Barbecue Butt"
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 4th, 2023 at 11:02:56 AM permalink
my neighbor, who I see almost every day is a woman of about 35 - well over 300 lbs.

her butt is like 2 gigantic moons and a huge belly overhangs her waist

to make matters worse - she always wears really tight clothes

today she was wearing really tight and thin pink flowery pants and a matching tight shirt

what a trip she is

Please don't feed the trolls
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
August 4th, 2023 at 11:19:44 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

my neighbor, who I see almost every day is a woman of about 35 - well over 300 lbs.

today she was wearing really tight and thin pink flowery pants and a matching tight shirt

what a trip she is

link to original post

In her defense, have you thought about how hard it must be to find pants that aren’t tight when you’re well over 300 lbs and your butt is “like 2 gigantic moons.”
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 4th, 2023 at 11:51:43 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Quote: lilredrooster

what a trip she is

link to original post

In her defense, have you thought about how hard it must be to find pants that aren’t tight when you’re well over 300 lbs and your butt is “like 2 gigantic moons.”
link to original post

It's getting easier. Ten years ago, most men's stores were well stocked up to a 44 waist, but anything bigger was slim pickings. At my heaviest, I was a 54x36 and shopping was a challenge. I'm a 46 now, and am able to shop in many mortar stores, although I usually order online from a specialty shop.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
August 5th, 2023 at 1:39:17 PM permalink
I’ve been in France (Marseille and Nice) for the last two weeks and I see essentially zero fat people*. Yet I see pastry, pizza and ice cream shops on almost every corner

I think there’s more to this than counting calories

*Defined as adults with over 34 inch waist
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
August 5th, 2023 at 3:26:48 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I’ve been in France (Marseille and Nice) for the last two weeks and I see essentially zero fat people*. Yet I see pastry, pizza and ice cream shops on almost every corner

link to original post

If you go to the Hamptons, Fire Island, or South Beach, you'll see far fewer fat people than in a mall thirty miles away, but see bakeries, pizza and ice cream stands everywhere.
Eating less, eating better and moving more helps me lose weight. Conversely, driving eight to ten hours a day, eating mostly quarter pounders from Mcdonald's, and not getting any exercise causes me to gain weight. I came home from my two-month vacation 15 pounds heavier, and its taken me six weeks to lose five of them. I should have access to pools starting in September and I think the increased exercise will jumpstart my program. I'd lost almost eighty pounds before gaining back ten, and then fifteen new ones.
I'll be happy if I can maintain a five-pound-a-month loss for the next year or two.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 6th, 2023 at 11:22:35 AM permalink

I'm a 46 now, and am able to shop in many mortar stores, although I usually order online from a specialty shop.
link to original post

I fought the same 40 to 60 lb most of my life and a few years ago I said screw it and I lost it for good. But I had to change everything I was eating and never go back to it. No more bread other than keto bread, no pasta no potatoes no rice, basically carbs are my enemy. Keep the red meat part of my diet at a bare minimum. No sugar but I don't eat sugar anyway so that was no problem. I drink nothing but water. And keep my calories way down every day. And it works and I have no problem with it I can eat as much as I want as long as it's no carbs and no calories which covers a whole big area. Oh, and no dairy, like cheese. I love every kind of cheese ever made but it's extremely fattening and calorie dense. So I eat lots of veggies and chicken and turkey and fish and maybe once a week some red meat. Been at a 38 pant size for 2 years and I want to get down to a 36 so I'm going to have to put the pedal to the metal again. At this weight I have so much energy, even at my age, that I can barely sit still most of the time. I have so many outdoor projects going I can't keep up with them. If I still weighed 260 lb I'd barely be making it from my office to the kitchen but now I'm permanently under 200 lb, what a difference.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 7th, 2023 at 9:31:16 AM permalink
I don't need to lose weight although I am in a constant effort to gain muscle or strength through weight lifting. I stopped buying any of those cold press juices for now, although still bought some Kombuchas. I notice the market now has low sugar Kombuchas I bought one of those.

Lots of iced water lately. My wife sometimes makes this concoction containing blue and regular Spirulina, with added lemon juice and something or other to sweeten it, like honey or agave. I asked her what about adding no sweetener but she said it needs something, which I think she's right.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 8th, 2023 at 9:36:50 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

What’s the percentage of chain restaurants vs US do you see? And 7-11 type stores, which is also a source of rather poor food.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
August 8th, 2023 at 9:56:37 AM permalink
^ exactly.

US restaurants give you basically three meals per serving. Why? because the incremental cost of doubling of tripling the portion is very low and it makes you feel like you're getting a better deal. Then we go and eat the whole damn thing.
billryan
billryan
August 8th, 2023 at 10:07:35 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

^ exactly.

US restaurants give you basically three meals per serving. Why? because the incremental cost of doubling of tripling the portion is very low and it makes you feel like you're getting a better deal. Then we go and eat the whole damn thing.
link to original post

I had a friend in NY who asked for a to-go container to be served with his meal. He'd take half of everything on his plate and put it away immediately. I was surprised the flack he got over it, but every meal morphed into two for him.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
August 8th, 2023 at 10:16:26 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

^ exactly.

link to original post

That depends on the restaurant. There are plenty of high end restaurants where everything is a la carte and you do end up with too much food, but only because you are compelled to order a side or two, or where every dish is more of a tapas than an entree.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
billryan
billryan
August 8th, 2023 at 10:26:58 AM permalink
The few times I've eaten French food, the places seem to take pride in their small servings, with the smug waiters just daring you to say something.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
Calder
August 8th, 2023 at 10:43:09 AM permalink
You’re fat because there are too many crap restaurants and portions are too big

That’s like saying you’re an alcoholic because too many stores sell alcohol and their prices are too low
It’s all about making that GTA
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
August 8th, 2023 at 11:32:51 AM permalink
Europe didn’t build nearly all their communities to be nearly entirely auto dependent. I have read that places with access to commuter rail in US weigh 10 lbs per person less than nearby communities that are auto dependent, on average. If the public transit is busses, it’s auto dependent. We have preservatives in our foods that aren’t legal in some countries.

So yeah, it’s our sedentary lifestyles beyond the counting calories. Factors contribute to that.

Straying off topic our auto dependent, suburban catering infrastructure that is unnecessarily deadly, entirely unsustainable costs 2-2.5x more to maintain than it should without expanding the tax base at all is a large reason why our country always needs a new debt ceiling and is in a death spiral. We traded our future for a few decades of good auto manufacturing jobs and subsidizing car dependency. Suburbs are fine, suburbs without sidewalks or rail transit connecting to the city their residents primarily draw their income from are not. Providing people with options and not forcing them to drive a car isn’t restricting “freedom,” either.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Aug 8, 2023
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 8th, 2023 at 2:44:11 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Providing people with options and not forcing them to drive a car isn’t restricting “freedom,” either.

I agree, people had freedom before cars even existed.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
August 8th, 2023 at 4:19:08 PM permalink

My list was meant to be a phased-approach. Most people agree that if you eliminate everything onjectionable from your diet all at once, and just start eating beef broth and kale, then you are very likely to give up on the diet. It's too severe a change.

1. The most important thing is to drink "all water." I don't care how many times you drink tea as long as there is no sugar.

2. Eliminating pies, and donuts and cheese danishes and cheesecakes and muffins is very important. I make it #2 for weight reduction.

3. Eliminate fast food. If you must eat fast food occasionally, go with an Arby's roast beef sandwich with NO FRIES and NO Onion Rings.

If you don't do those three things, you are unlikely to lose weight without cancer or olympic level workouts.

4. Fourth is: Greatly reduce or eliminate the five P's: Pizza, Potatoes, Pasta, Potato Chips and Popcorn.

5. Here in the south Barbeque Sauce is a pandemic: its a great source of wide asses. Minimize it.
link to original post

1. I drink diet soda and Crystal Light. Not drinking regular soft drinks was a lesson I learned many years ago.
2. Pretty much any dessert, but especially the flour-based ones like these. Pies are a double whammy because fruit tends to be loaded with carbs.
3. I had no problem with fast food burgers - once I removed the buns (and no ketchup or BBQ sauce). If you do go the Arby's route, put the meat & cheese into a bowl, and leave off the sauce.
4. I have found that there is one snack that you can eat - fried pork rinds.
5. There is such a thing as "sugar free BBQ sauce"; you might want to consider that.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
August 8th, 2023 at 4:38:34 PM permalink
El Pollo loco has a more healthy-ish menu at least in the context of fast food.

A couple of keto options if weight loss is the goal, keto is going to be unsustainable change for most though and therefore likely to gain back.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 8th, 2023 at 6:30:55 PM permalink
here's one food that just seems to be a "fat bomb" if you eat it regularly, say, for breakfast:

bagels and cream cheese.

Bagels are a very dense white bread and the cream cheese somehow combines to make this a wicked meal. I just have anecdotal evidence from about 5 people about how strongly bagels and cream cheese are correlated with weight gain, and how omitting them from your diet is correlated with weight loss.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 6:38:29 PM permalink

here's one food that just seems to be a "fat bomb" if you eat it regularly, say, for breakfast:

bagels and cream cheese.

Bagels are a very dense white bread and the cream cheese somehow combines to make this a wicked meal. I just have anecdotal evidence from about 5 people about how strongly bagels and cream cheese are correlated with weight gain, and how omitting them from your diet is correlated with weight loss.
link to original post

Bagels are extremely carb dense and should be avoided at all costs. As should all carbs actually, doing low carb is the only way I found in my life to keep the weight off. When I first did the Atkins diet in 1972 my 'old school' doctor actually told me that it would kill me if I limited that many carbs. Told me Dr Atkins should be in prison for writing that book. I did it anyway and lost a bunch of weight and he was so pissed off that he fired me as a patient he said he was not going to be responsible for what I'd done to myself. That was the voodoo thinking about carbohydrate in the 1970s when the food pyramid was king. He actually gave me pamphlets about the food pyramid and how you have to eat a ton of carbs everyday to stay healthy. LOL
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
August 8th, 2023 at 6:41:34 PM permalink
whenever i decide i care what i look like i also try to understand why i care about what i look like and ... the only reason i care is to be attractive to the opposite sex... otherwise caring about something that means nothing to me other than health and sex is just not worth the time
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 6:47:03 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

whenever i decide i care what i look like i also try to understand why i care about what i look like and ... the only reason i care is to be attractive to the opposite sex... otherwise caring about something that means nothing to me other than health and sex is just not worth the time
link to original post

Not yet but it will be. At my age I could care less what I look like it's all about how I feel and how my health is. And keeping my weight under control at my age is making a huge difference. Because I'm keeping it off my doctor called me a model patient. When you get past a certain age your body has to work extremely hard to maintain itself for every extra pound you're carrying and all you're doing is wearing yourself out, literally. It's like carrying around an extra thousand pounds in the trunk of an old car, the car ain't going to last long.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 9th, 2023 at 8:39:24 AM permalink

bagels and cream cheese.

link to original post

That sounds like mis-information. My bagels have holes in them.

tuttigym
  • Jump to: