billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 12th, 2022 at 6:18:52 PM permalink
There is a shortage of a lot of things right now. We are still in a pandemic. If truckers or anyone goes on strike over vaccine mandates, I have no sympathy. If they go on strike over high fuel cost, that's on them . Now is a time to be pulling together, not threatening to go on strike.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
February 12th, 2022 at 6:21:32 PM permalink
There is a shortage of a lot of things right now. We are still in a pandemic. If truckers or anyone goes on strike over vaccine mandates, I have no sympathy. If they go on strike over high fuel cost, that's on them . Now is a time to be pulling together, not threatening to go on strike.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 12th, 2022 at 6:49:17 PM permalink
“Now isn’t the time to listen to your concerns” always goes over well with people who have concerns.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
February 12th, 2022 at 7:28:00 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

Tell that to the trucker who cant pay his bills.
Tell that to the workers who cant get to their jobs.

You seem to think everyone is rich with alternatives?
billryan
billryan
February 12th, 2022 at 8:14:44 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

“Now isn’t the time to listen to your concerns” always goes over well with people who have concerns.
link to original post

Should their concerns take priority over Mine? Or yours? We all have concerns and if everyone pulls together it will work a lot better than if everyone pulls apart.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 12th, 2022 at 8:44:18 PM permalink

Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

Should their concerns take priority over Mine? Or yours? We all have concerns and if everyone pulls together it will work a lot better than if everyone pulls apart.
link to original post

I think you’ve made it pretty clear their concerns should be dismissed and placed below anyone else’s.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 13th, 2022 at 5:07:17 AM permalink

link to original post

The parallels startle.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 13th, 2022 at 6:43:17 AM permalink
I was living in Vegas when gas prices were high before and there were reported instances of gas theft--people siphoning other people's gas tanks. Haven't heard anything about that this time.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
February 13th, 2022 at 7:09:15 AM permalink
I was driving from Rainbow and Flamingo to Ellis Island @730pm last night. 30 minutes drive. If I still got my moped, it would have been 10 minutes. Think about alternatives. It might not be beautiful but it might work. We human adapt and improvise
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
February 13th, 2022 at 10:31:00 AM permalink
Uber or Lyft driver driving an electric vehicle is just laughing at the gas prices.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 13th, 2022 at 10:40:49 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Uber or Lyft driver driving an electric vehicle is just laughing at the gas prices.
link to original post

But crying at the sticker price.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
February 13th, 2022 at 10:41:37 AM permalink
Since I have no way to charge my car battery, my car probably won't start today on account of the cold weather.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
February 13th, 2022 at 10:54:17 AM permalink
We probably need an efficient 3rd leg of travel to remove the airport and highway burden. Amtrak is running speeds at 1940’s speeds other than Acela.

They will be widening the I-15 from Las Vegas to LA…but right now it can turn into a 9 hour ride.

High speed rail would alleviate the burden. The big problem is high speed rail needs to be heavily subsidized. Cost per passenger isn’t profitable. In the west, it would be a big money loser. The discussions here about high speed rail involve one rail…which means east and west trains would need to stop at “exit rails” to allow the other train to pass. High speed rail becomes an average of 55mph.
billryan
billryan
February 13th, 2022 at 12:05:29 PM permalink
They don't make it easy to travel by rail. I'm interested in doing so and saw the closest Amtrak was about fifty miles away and four trains a day stop there, two in each direction. I could go to LA or to New Orleans. Only there is no station, just a platform with no shelter and nothing within two hundred yards. Standing in the Arizona sun, waiting for a train that may or may not be on time doesn't sound like fun.
They are talking about building a Phoenix-Tucson commuter rail but each city is afraid that residents of the other city will steal jobs.
As an aside, very few people out here have even been on a train.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 13th, 2022 at 12:25:08 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

When independent truckers and tradesmen decide they cant afford gas prices anymore, January 6 will look like a song fest.

They'll just pass along any price increase, the same as I believe they've always done.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 13th, 2022 at 1:15:57 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

We probably need an efficient 3rd leg of travel to remove the airport and highway burden. Amtrak is running speeds at 1940’s speeds other than Acela.

They will be widening the I-15 from Las Vegas to LA…but right now it can turn into a 9 hour ride.

High speed rail would alleviate the burden. The big problem is high speed rail needs to be heavily subsidized. Cost per passenger isn’t profitable. In the west, it would be a big money loser. The discussions here about high speed rail involve one rail…which means east and west trains would need to stop at “exit rails” to allow the other train to pass. High speed rail becomes an average of 55mph.
link to original post

Maybe rather than subsidizing they should try some smarter engineering. Perhaps by designing unused passenger areas into quick loading cargo areas with some clever automation. And back again as needed.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
February 13th, 2022 at 1:17:46 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

When independent truckers and tradesmen decide they cant afford gas prices anymore, January 6 will look like a song fest.

They'll just pass along any price increase, the same as I believe they've always done.
link to original post

No. They'll lose the business to the fleets.
billryan
billryan
February 13th, 2022 at 1:26:13 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Why do you think this would be a bad thing?
MrV
MrV
February 13th, 2022 at 1:28:45 PM permalink

Why?

One would think that the price of gas would be comparable for fleets, although there's probably some economy of scale.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
February 13th, 2022 at 1:46:53 PM permalink
When I moved from Vegas to Bisbee, I brought down eight truckloads and three trailer loads. The first two of each were jobbed out to independent contractors thru UShip and I was so disgusted with them that I ended up renting my own truck and trailer.
Every person I dealt with promised whatever they needed to to get the job and once they had your goods on board, everything changed.
Two demanded extra money, the other two showed up hours after they were scheduled, knowing I had a crew standing by.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 13th, 2022 at 2:24:22 PM permalink

Why?

One would think that the price of gas would be comparable for fleets, although there's probably some economy of scale.
link to original post

Fleets get much better quantity discounts on fuel.
Fleets also hire rookie drivers straight out of school, who sometimes make mistakes. ("Sorry! We're insured for that!")
Rookie fleets often move the cargo 64% as far per day as experienced drivers, due to the way they're dispatched.

That's the difference in general freight.
HHG (house moves) is a different animal. Sorry you had an encounter with some bad apples on the cheap, bill. Real HHG crews bring their own crew to bring the stuff inside, and charge ridiculously accordingly for the special service level.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 13th, 2022 at 2:29:00 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

High speed rail would alleviate the burden. The big problem is high speed rail needs to be heavily subsidized. Cost per passenger isn’t profitable. In the west, it would be a big money loser. The discussions here about high speed rail involve one rail…which means east and west trainuss would need to stop at “exit rails” to allow the other train to pass. High speed rail becomes an average of 55mph.
link to original post

IOW, high speed rail is a nogo. There is a reason passenger rail does not exist outside the northeast. It simply does not pencil out.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 13th, 2022 at 3:25:18 PM permalink

When I moved from Vegas to Bisbee, I brought down eight truckloads and three trailer loads. The first two of each were jobbed out to independent contractors thru UShip and I was so disgusted with them that I ended up renting my own truck and trailer.
Every person I dealt with promised whatever they needed to to get the job and once they had your goods on board, everything changed.
Two demanded extra money, the other two showed up hours after they were scheduled, knowing I had a crew standing by.
link to original post

I have heard nothing but horror stories about UShip. When I moved to Florida I talked to them and they told me it was illegal to offer guaranteed delivery dates. I then told them I didn't need a guarantee but wanted a 25% discount for every day they were late. They also said that was illegal. It was a lie. They subcontract out to independents so they have no control and you have no recourse. Avoid anyone that won't give a guaranteed delivery date even if it is later than you would assume.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
February 26th, 2024 at 6:51:19 PM permalink
What's up with the spread in gas prices here. I'll pass by one station at about 3.50, 10 min later in another part of town, 4.25. WTF
What's going on with that huge spread?
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
DRich
DRich
February 27th, 2024 at 6:50:16 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

What's up with the spread in gas prices here. I'll pass by one station at about 3.50, 10 min later in another part of town, 4.25. WTF
link to original post

The company that I used to work for in Vegas almost always had the highest gas prices but were also the most profitable.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 27th, 2024 at 7:11:19 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: terapined

link to original post

The company that I used to work for in Vegas almost always had the highest gas prices but were also the most profitable.
link to original post

I have met gas station owners who said the oil company could set the retail prices. That is probably at a leased station. If they use a jobber* to supply them they may still be obligated to a retail price.

*jobber--the person who supplies gas to the gas station. Not to be confused with guys like Ron Shaw and Steve Lombardi
MrV
MrV
February 27th, 2024 at 11:29:06 AM permalink
When gas prices initially shot up I felt for sure that people would drive less but no, that doesn't seem to be the case.

We still put our money into the "one arm bandit" gas station pumps the way we do with slots.

Yeah, driving is not only necessary but also addictive.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 27th, 2024 at 11:34:21 AM permalink

When gas prices initially shot up I felt for sure that people would drive less but no, that doesn't seem to be the case.

We still put our money into the "one arm bandit" gas station pumps the way we do with slots.

link to original post

For the most part you cannot cut down on your driving very much. I can skip pleasure rides in the convertible, but still have to go to work, still have to go to the store, etc. Same with most people.

Who here remembers the "save gas" commercials the oil companies ran in the 70s? One had the tag "saveagallonagasaweek" but the tips were fairly basic. At the time most cars got 12-14 MPG.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
February 27th, 2024 at 12:37:54 PM permalink
Gas is still cheap compared to other countries, nobody should be complaining. There are way too many people who have no business driving anyways. Just cracking the $4 mark now here in Reno. So about $4 a gallon is the average price as of today
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 27th, 2024 at 1:07:33 PM permalink

Gas is still cheap compared to other countries, nobody should be complaining. There are way too many people who have no business driving anyways. Just cracking the $4 mark now here in Reno. So about $4 a gallon is the average price as of today
link to original post

People who have no business driving? What on earth does that mean?
DRich
DRich
February 27th, 2024 at 1:18:57 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

For the most part you cannot cut down on your driving very much. I can skip pleasure rides in the convertible, but still have to go to work, still have to go to the store, etc. Same with most people.

Who here remembers the "save gas" commercials the oil companies ran in the 70s? One had the tag "saveagallonagasaweek" but the tips were fairly basic. At the time most cars got 12-14 MPG.
link to original post

My wife and I are very fortunate that most of our work is from home. I would guess we average about 5 miles a day of driving in a typical week. We probably don't leave the house at all two days a week.
MrV
MrV
February 27th, 2024 at 1:21:41 PM permalink
One thing I've noted is that the combined effect of higher gas prices and interest rates has caused RV sales to fall off a cliff.
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
February 27th, 2024 at 1:55:35 PM permalink

One thing I've noted is that the combined effect of higher gas prices and interest rates has caused RV sales to fall off a cliff.
link to original post

The high interest rates are really hurting the used car market too. Normally February and March is the big season for used cars but with interest rates so high I am sure it will be slower than usual.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
February 27th, 2024 at 2:44:04 PM permalink

link to original post

People who have no business driving? What on earth does that mean?
link to original post

People who drive without insurance/registration or even suspended license. I work part time at a convenience store chain and constantly have to run people off because they are asking for money or gas. If you aren’t responsible enough to make sure you are legal to drive then take the bus.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 27th, 2024 at 3:44:35 PM permalink

link to original post

The high interest rates are really hurting the used car market too. Normally February and March is the big season for used cars but with interest rates so high I am sure it will be slower than usual.
link to original post

Cheap interest rates have let people buy more car than they can afford for many years. When I was in the loan business what people accepted for a car payment was scary. I mean scared us straight about it all.
DRich
DRich
February 27th, 2024 at 4:29:33 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Cheap interest rates have let people buy more car than they can afford for many years. When I was in the loan business what people accepted for a car payment was scary. I mean scared us straight about it all.
link to original post

My favorite is those cheap used car lots that will give you a four year loan on a $5000 car at 23.9% interest and you have to make your payments at the car lot. There was a guy in Vegas, Fast Freddie or something like that, that said he would repo and sell the same car multiple times and he loved it because he would keep the down payment and repossess the car and sell it again. He hated when people paid off their car.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 27th, 2024 at 5:23:11 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

My favorite is those cheap used car lots that will give you a four year loan on a $5000 car at 23.9% interest and you have to make your payments at the car lot. There was a guy in Vegas, Fast Freddie or something like that, that said he would repo and sell the same car multiple times and he loved it because he would keep the down payment and repossess the car and sell it again. He hated when people paid off their car.
link to original post

Supposedly the down payment covers what the car was bought for at auction or close to it. It is not the "car business" it is the collections business. The more time you spend around the types that buy these kinds of deals the more you see how financially illiterate so much of the population is.

I had a tenant financed a couple year old car not sure if form that kind of lot. She bought all kinds of furniture then threw it all to the trash like 2 months later when she moved to Texas. Twice different repo guys came looking for it. I caught them checking my VIN (same make) and asked about it. The were cool with me so I told them where she moved and jokingly said if they want to sneak up they should not have a diesel truck. This was about 3 years ago so by now I assume she has ended up broke and near homeless unless she attaches herself to a guy who will take her in.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
February 28th, 2024 at 7:13:32 AM permalink

link to original post

Paid $2.93 yesterday -- north Georgia.

What I find personally amusing is that people of means or casino patrons who spin big $$$ in the slots or tables search to save a penny or two per gallon of gas. What's up with that?

tuttigym
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 28th, 2024 at 8:16:22 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

What I find personally amusing is that people of means or casino patrons who spin big $$$ in the slots or tables search to save a penny or two per gallon of gas. What's up with that?

tuttigym
link to original post

Search? I’ll never ‘search’, but if half tank or less will always fill up when at my casino. Probably $0.30 less per gallon. ‘People of means’ didn’t become ‘people of means’ by paying more for the same product!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 28th, 2024 at 9:23:32 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

Search? I’ll never ‘search’, but if half tank or less will always fill up when at my casino. Probably $0.30 less per gallon. ‘People of means’ didn’t become ‘people of means’ by paying more for the same product!
link to original post

That's on the Rez. You should pick up some smokes to resell.
MrV
MrV
February 28th, 2024 at 9:28:29 AM permalink

What I find personally amusing is that people of means or casino patrons who spin big $$$ in the slots or tables search to save a penny or two per gallon of gas

You might think it's "funny," but I and others think it's "money," and you can't ever have too much money.

Heck, I bend over to pick up pennies if I see one in my near vicinity, and not based on superstition.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 28th, 2024 at 9:29:57 AM permalink

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

It's psychological. For example, you probably actually paid $2.939.

I do not "search. I have my place I stop easy in easy out. But I did switch last year when a different place was almost a dime cheaper. But still easy in easy out.

I do not get people who even use gasbuddy to search before a trip. Yeah, saving a buck or two a fillup adds up. But if it is more than stopping at this station over that I cannot see it.
  • Jump to: