FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 8
October 8th, 2021 at 8:41:33 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

From tonight's show

Category: COMPOUND WORDS
$800 Clue: A technique of NFL bettors is to put money on these when they're playing at home & they'll "bark" for you.

I can't believe this was a Triple Stumper.
link to original post

That's exactly what I thought.

It seems that 'Sports' is Matt's weakest category.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 70
October 8th, 2021 at 8:45:43 AM permalink

From tonight's show

$800 Clue: A technique of NFL bettors is to put money on these when they're playing at home & they'll "bark" for you.

link to original post

I finally figured it out, but it wouldn't have been in time to buzz in.

The "at home" tripped me up. WoO folks know "on the road" is the smart money.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
October 8th, 2021 at 9:23:28 AM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

From tonight's show

link to original post

That's exactly what I thought.

It seems that 'Sports' is Matt's weakest category.
link to original post

He’s pretty good with sports trivia. I figured he’s a little young to know the Nolan Ryan question. Maybe sports gambling is his weakness.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
JimRockford
JimRockford
October 8th, 2021 at 9:24:48 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

From tonight's show

link to original post

I finally figured it out, but it wouldn't have been in time to buzz in.

The "at home" tripped me up. WoO folks know "on the road" is the smart money.
link to original post

Wait, home dogs isn’t a thing anymore?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 1
October 8th, 2021 at 11:33:46 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

link to original post

JimRockford,

If the category is compound words, wouldn't the correct response need to include the word "underdog"?

Dog (no relation) Hand
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 19
October 8th, 2021 at 11:39:02 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

If the category is compound words, wouldn't the correct response need to include the word "underdog"?

I thought about this during the game, as I initially was about to answer with just "dogs." But yes, I'm almost sure that answer by itself would not have been acceptable, for the reason you mentioned.
JimRockford
JimRockford
October 8th, 2021 at 12:00:57 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

link to original post

JimRockford,

Dog (no relation) Hand
link to original post

My comment was not about the Jeopardy question. I was referring to the assertion that “ on the road” is the smart money play.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 2
October 8th, 2021 at 7:20:22 PM permalink
These contestants going against him are going to have to take chances with the buzzer. They are getting utterly destroyed on the buzzer. My guess is many of them know the answers but Matt is catching it a split second earlier. Sometimes they catch on eventually and start buzzing in quicker…but by then it’s too late.
JimRockford
JimRockford
October 8th, 2021 at 8:13:33 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

These contestants going against him are going to have to take chances with the buzzer. They are getting utterly destroyed on the buzzer. My guess is many of them know the answers but Matt is catching it a split second earlier. Sometimes they catch on eventually and start buzzing in quicker…but by then it’s too late.
link to original post

That’s a significant advantage of a long time champion. Matt’s had hours of practice with the buzzer.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 2
October 8th, 2021 at 8:40:30 PM permalink

Quote: TDVegas

link to original post

That’s a significant advantage of a long time champion. Matt’s had hours of practice with the buzzer.
link to original post

They are going to have to take some chances. These matches aren’t even remotely competitive. Even if you get locked out a few times…go for it.

Eventually some begin to beat him to the buzzer…but it’s way too late. His lead is insurmountable.

• Jump to: