Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 8
September 23rd, 2021 at 6:43:27 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I have often wondered about the actual rule of "response in the form of a question." Ostensibly, the response should be a question which is sensibly answered by the clue, but that is often not the case. Does it always have to take the form of "Who is X" or "What is X?" Would it be acceptable to say, "Could it be X?" How about, "Would it surprise you to know the answer is X?" What if the correct response to a clue is the play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Do you even need to add the "What is?"

• link to original post

If the goal of the game is to correctly question as many answers as possible within the time limit, there should be a strategic advantage to using contractions, keeping questions as brief as acceptable, and speaking quickly.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    Joeman
    Joeman
    • Threads: 35
    September 23rd, 2021 at 8:07:03 AM permalink
    Quote: Dieter

If the goal of the game is to correctly question as many answers as possible within the time limit, there should be a strategic advantage to using contractions, keeping questions as brief as acceptable, and speaking quickly.

• link to original post

Yeah, but what if I somehow find myself with a big lead over a superior opponent? My best strategy would then be to run out the clock! ;)
    "Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    • Threads: 2
    September 23rd, 2021 at 12:01:47 PM permalink
    Quote: Hunterhill

He said by always saying “what’s” it’s one less thing that he has to think about and he can focus more on the answer.

It’s actually a logical approach, IMO. As much as I’d like to see someone really give him a challenge…so far, not to be. At this point someone staying within half his win has been difficult.
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard 
    • Threads: 1390
    Thanks for this post from:
    3for3Mooseton
    September 23rd, 2021 at 12:57:31 PM permalink
    Another tactic he uses is to use abbreviations for category names. It happens all the time that contestants don't remember the category and their response is not consistent with it, so I can't blame him for not wanting to remind them. However, it makes the game less enjoyable to watch at home.
    It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    September 23rd, 2021 at 4:48:49 PM permalink
    Guys like Matt and James are pretty rare. So buried in knowledge on any and all topics. Quite impressive. I can only surmise they must do an ENORMOUS amount of reading.
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard 
    September 23rd, 2021 at 6:33:32 PM permalink
    Quote: TDVegas

Guys like Matt and James are pretty rare. So buried in knowledge on any and all topics. Quite impressive. I can only surmise they must do an ENORMOUS amount of reading.

• link to original post

I think many players who never won are on their level, but lost because of poor gameplay and being less experienced with the buzzer.
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    September 23rd, 2021 at 6:54:06 PM permalink
    Quote: Wizard

Quote: TDVegas

• link to original post

I think many players who never won are on their level, but lost because of poor gameplay and being less experienced with the buzzer.
  • link to original post

No question that being quick on the buzzer is extremely important.
    smoothgrh
    smoothgrh
    • Threads: 70
    September 23rd, 2021 at 7:29:41 PM permalink
    How does the buzzer work? I'm sure there's an Internet article out there about it, but I'll put out my theory:

There's a speech recognition program that recognizes the last words of the "answer." The moment the host finishes reading the prompt, the computer recognizes the silence and enables the contests to use the buzzer.

Tell me whether I'm right!
    Wizard
    Administrator
    Wizard 
    smoothgrh
    September 23rd, 2021 at 7:34:38 PM permalink
    Quote: smoothgrh

How does the buzzer work? I'm sure there's an Internet article out there about it, but I'll put out my theory:

There's a speech recognition program that recognizes the last words of the "answer." The moment the host finishes reading the prompt, the computer recognizes the silence and enables the contests to use the buzzer.

• link to original post

I can only offer what I've heard, filtered through the years.

It's my understanding that a judge determines when the host is finished asking the question and then opens it up to clicking. If you click to early, you'll be locked out for x number of seconds. There is also a light, unseen by the television audience, indicating the judge is finished, but it isn't necessarily in synch when it is really safe to click.

I hope if and when BBB returns she will properly address your question.
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    smoothgrh
    September 23rd, 2021 at 8:31:03 PM permalink
    Quote: smoothgrh

• link to original post

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-scenes/how-does-jeopardy-buzzer-work

• Jump to: