EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
February 23rd, 2021 at 7:45:10 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't think he will play on the Senior tour.

Sure he will, he'll draw huge crowds
and the money isn't bad. He hasn't
been a real threat since his life
exploded and most of his sponsors
dropped him.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
ddloml
ddloml
  • Threads: 1
February 23rd, 2021 at 8:16:32 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I don't think he will play on the Senior tour.

He’s four majors away from tying Jack Nicklaus. How many Senior majors has Nicklaus won? Tiger will want to win at least that many. He’s been chasing Jack his entire career.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 211
February 23rd, 2021 at 8:23:26 PM permalink
I have never been a big Tiger Woods fan. Not really a big golf fan to begin with, although I will watch the final round of some of the Majors.

Someone (maybe Evenbob) said Tiger was snobbish and unfriendly to the other golfers. It is my understanding he was like that for the early half of his career, but in the last 10 years he has become much friendlier, joking with other golfers and even people in the gallery at times. He is one of those super competitive guys and a perfectionist and I think that was mistaken for him being nasty and unfriendly. And in the last 10 years, those of us that only saw the highlights on sportscenter would often see him pissed off and throwing clubs (or just about), as he hit a shot into the water or double bogey. That anger shown was anger at himself, because he is so competitive, not anger at anyone else. So for that, I am going to say he is misunderstood.

I think he is done. He was probably done before this accident. 5 operations on his back, 5 operations on his knees. He didn't seem to be responding and recovering from this latest back operation all that well. Not really sure he recovered from any of them very well. Maybe he can get back to playing some sort of recreational, pro-Am type thing, but from the sounds of things his competitive golf days are over. He has all the money in the world and when he recovers should explore the other things he wants to do with life, including business opportunities, golf related or not.

Despite that I wasn't a big fan, Tiger's 2019 Masters win, was one for the ages. Even those of us that didn't particularly like the guy were pulling hard for him. It was a very special moment.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 211
February 23rd, 2021 at 8:28:52 PM permalink
Quote: ddloml

He’s four majors away from tying Jack Nicklaus. How many Senior majors has Nicklaus won? Tiger will want to win at least that many. He’s been chasing Jack his entire career.

Tiger is 3 behind Nicklaus if I am not mistaken. BUT Tiger has won only 1 major in the last 13 years. He was not going to catch Nicklaus before this accident and certainly won't after.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2021 at 9:30:50 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

He was not going to catch Nicklaus before this accident and certainly won't after.

He doesn't deserve to. Nicklaus is the
classic golf superstar. Totally dedicated
to the game. He was the oldest player
to win the Masters, at 46. Tiger was
never a dedicated player, he was a
dedicated partier who played golf.
He had 13 good years until another
car accident started a chain of events
that almost ruined him. Tiger is a fluke,
he's doesn't even deserve to be on the
same list as The Golden Bear..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 2
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKintIndyJeffreyAxelWolfgamerfreakunJonJoemanJohnzimbo
February 23rd, 2021 at 11:15:44 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

He had 13 good years

Tiger is a fluke

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 224
February 24th, 2021 at 2:58:32 AM permalink

dropped him.

He seems to have led a very, very reckless life. As if he is trying to be the Ric Flair of golf. I wish him well same as I wish anyone in an accident well. At the same time I could care less. Watching golf is super boring to me. I do not get the following he has.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 110
February 24th, 2021 at 4:31:26 AM permalink

dropped him.

Bob.... he won the Masters two platings ago. He won on tour last year (Zozo) as well. And I think he has recovered enough sponsors to generate 8 figures +! The reason he is not ‘the old Tiger’ has been more back related than his life exploded related recently.

As far as ‘the money isn’t bad’ on the Champions Tour.... it might not be bad for you and me, but it is low enough that it would be irrelevant to Tiger Woods.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
February 24th, 2021 at 7:01:37 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

As far as ‘the money isn’t bad’ on the Champions Tour.... it might not be bad for you and me, but it is low enough that it would be irrelevant to Tiger Woods.

That is my thought exactly. He can always accept a invitation to one of the middle East tournaments and get a million dollar appearance fee. Why bother playing a Seniors tour to win $300,000, I believe he is still getting about $50 million a year in sponsorships.

From a Golf.com article last year:

"Tiger made $2.3 million over the past year in golf.

He made $60 million in endorsements. Or about 96 percent of his overall $62.3 million in earnings."
Living longer does not always infer +EV
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 24th, 2021 at 8:50:50 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Bob.... he won the Masters two platings ago

So you think because he got lucky
and pulled a major out of his ass,
that equates to the Tiger that
played golf in the early 2000's?
Really? The money is meaningless