Thread Rating:

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
March 28th, 2022 at 12:46:19 PM permalink
Interesting way to do it - seek shareholder approval and make a public announcement about it. Haven't seen it done that way, normally it is decided and revealed right after hours under seal of prior secrecy. But then, this is Elon. However, if the approval is not obtained the stock will tank, and if it takes too long for the approval process, the stock will go down slowly.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 28th, 2022 at 3:08:53 PM permalink
I don’t really understand the concept of a ‘stock dividend’. Will this be a taxable event like a cash dividend? Or is it just like saying you now own 11/ 4,400,000,000 of the company instead of 10/4,000,000,000 of the company?
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
March 28th, 2022 at 6:45:18 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I don’t really understand the concept of a ‘stock dividend’. Will this be a taxable event like a cash dividend? Or is it just like saying you now own 11/ 4,400,000,000 of the company instead of 10/4,000,000,000 of the company?
link to original post

It’s a bit strange. I had never heard of a stock dividend payment. Instead of paying a cash dividend, they will pay you with shares? This in conjunction with a stock split.

My guess is it will be a combination of both?…split and additional shares issued which will dilute the stock price a little.

But…I’m not really sure.

What I like is that he is now focused on expansion. It sounds like he wants to ramp up capacity dramatically. Considering the waiting time can be a year or more for a car…I guess he feels it’s “go time”.
MDawg
MDawg
March 29th, 2022 at 9:39:14 AM permalink
Way up for the year now, both in long terms and trades.

It did help that I added to my long terms with some additional shares near the bottom of the recent rout.

Don't ever think about selling long term good stocks, instead add.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 29th, 2022 at 9:49:40 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Way up for the year now, both in long terms and trades.

It did help that I added to my long terms with some additional shares near the bottom of the recent rout.

Don't ever think about selling long term good stocks, instead add.
link to original post

Yikes. I'm down around 3% for the year (I assume you mean from Jan 1, not 3/28/2021). And I wasn't unhappy about it... until I read your post! I didn't buy nor sell anything in the last month or so....
MDawg
MDawg
March 29th, 2022 at 10:02:05 AM permalink
Well you have a lot of different stocks, it might be hard to figure exactly where the bleeding is happening. Plus you didn't add at the recent bottom.
TDVegas
TDVegas
March 29th, 2022 at 2:19:55 PM permalink
My heavy tech portfolio peaked right after Tesla announced sales numbers about January 3….and the stock hit $1,200. I have not hit that high point….although I’m up about 15% in the last 10 days or so.
TDVegas
TDVegas
March 31st, 2022 at 1:33:03 PM permalink
Might be the Q ending…everything fell off a cliff at the end. Better days.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 31st, 2022 at 2:25:50 PM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

Might be the Q ending…everything fell off a cliff at the end. Better days.
link to original post

I went to a reggae show last night. The band started off with Better Days Are Coming and ended with a song remembering In Those Good Old Days. I'm not sure if it was intentionally ironic or if it was the smoke.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MDawg
MDawg
March 31st, 2022 at 2:28:26 PM permalink

I have not hit that high point….
link to original post

TDVegas
TDVegas
April 1st, 2022 at 1:05:43 PM permalink
Strong market close…on a Friday, no less. Rare but welcoming.
MDawg
MDawg
April 4th, 2022 at 9:29:42 AM permalink
As Frank Booth in Blue Velvet might've said, AMZN, TSLA and AAPL are doing good...reall f'in good!
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 4th, 2022 at 11:20:17 AM permalink
Go, baby, go. Split all 3. AMZN, GOOG, TSLA.

Musk buys a 9% stake in Twitter. A free speech absolutist, good or bad.
MDawg
MDawg
April 5th, 2022 at 9:28:59 AM permalink
Quick TSLA trade for a couple K, 1100 to 1102. Caught it on the first dip to that range.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 5th, 2022 at 11:21:06 AM permalink
Happens every time. Tesla pops on the sales numbers, then drops like a rock. We will see how the rest of the week plays out.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 5th, 2022 at 11:50:41 AM permalink

Happens every time. Tesla pops on the sales numbers, then drops like a rock. We will see how the rest of the week plays out.
link to original post

I was surprised when I read they were producing about 4000 cars a day.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2022 at 12:16:32 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

That seems pretty high as they are hoping to sell 900,000 for the first time this year.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
April 5th, 2022 at 12:35:45 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

That seems pretty high as they are hoping to sell 900,000 for the first time this year.
link to original post

Tesla delivered 310,048 electric vehicles in the first quarter of 2022. Supposedly those production numbers are already going up in Q2.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 5th, 2022 at 1:41:47 PM permalink
Musk feels the pieces are in place to ramp up production. Next on his agenda for Tesla is to drastically increase production facilities. My guess is we will see more announcements of plants. Currently 4. My guess is that will double real soon. Texas opening this week.
MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 1:33:41 AM permalink
Tuesday's drop had to do with more fears over global unrest, more sanctions against Russia, and so on.

Futures are down at the moment.

MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 9:53:43 AM permalink
Had the buy in order for a TSLA trade at 1028 was too cheap, didn't fill, at least not yet. As usual, this would be a trade for additional shares on top of my long term of the same.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 6th, 2022 at 10:29:15 AM permalink
Todays stock market…what takes weeks or months or sometimes years to gain…can be lost in hours or days.
MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 10:58:16 AM permalink

Had the buy in order for a TSLA trade at 1028 was too cheap, didn't fill, at least not yet. As usual, this would be a trade for additional shares on top of my long term of the same.
link to original post

I actually got a fill on about the third dip of the day! after I placed the order. 1054 now. CHA'CHING!
MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 11:02:43 AM permalink
And that's the way MDawg do...when he do. Sometimes gets priced out for being too cheap, other times hits a home run and hits the low for the day.
MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 11:20:28 AM permalink
Started to reverse. I should have taken a clean 30 points when it hit 1058, but I got close to that anyway. 1028 - 1054. And that's how it's possible to make more on a down day, than an up. $26000. in a single trade is no greasy kid stuff.

TDVegas
TDVegas
April 6th, 2022 at 6:12:43 PM permalink
This is what you do…

You spot Tesla down $25 at the open, you put in a buy. It drops a further $10 from there. That trade goes into your “long term” bin and is currently a red investment, no longer a day trade. You now spot Tesla down $35, you put in another buy. It drops a further $10 from there. That trade also goes into your “long term” bin and is currently a red investment, no longer a day trade. Now a third time, Tesla is down $45, you put in another buy. It gains back $5 and you exit the trade…you post “winner winner chicken dinner”.

No one hears about the first two losing trades…they’ve been converted to long term shares. Everyone hears about the winning trade…as that one is executed as a day trade.

Congrats.
MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 7:20:24 PM permalink
The two trades I posted are the only trades I did this week.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 6th, 2022 at 7:51:33 PM permalink

The two trades I posted are the only trades I did this week.
link to original post

Have you ever posted a losing trade?
MDawg
MDawg
April 6th, 2022 at 10:24:15 PM permalink
I posted about two shorts I closed out at a loss. In one, if I had just held a few more hours, it would have been as profitable as it was un-profitable. On the second, I could have closed it out at a profit if I had held overnight.

Otherwise, I haven't closed out a trade at a loss in years. There were some trades where I got stuck and had to hold an intended short term trade for anywhere from days to a few weeks, and one trade where I had to hold it for a few months and was down over a million at its worst point, and yes I posted about those.

As I've said, as SooPoo might say "ad nauseam," the stocks I trade always come back to make new all time highs (ATHs) so I learned very long ago to never close a trade in any of them at a loss. Close to all of them I close out at a profit the same day, but sometimes, and it happens at least a few times a year, I get stuck, and in those situations I just average in more shares and ride it out until the inevitable day when the stock comes back.

In this market, with the stocks I trade, there is no reason to ever book a loss. But as well, the longer you've done this, the better you get at catching a good bottom that reverses course to give a quick profit, quickly.

Today was exceptional in that the stock reversed course so quickly, there was no reason to scalp, just let it run.

There is a learning curve to get as good at it as I am, but I've been doing this for going on a quarter century now, since I was a pup. Many tens of thousands of trades. Just the fact that I've done it that long and still do it means I know what I am doing and am successful at trading, otherwise I would have been blown out long ago.

For many years now, I trade additional shares of stocks I hold long term, on a LIFO basis. Been pretty busy lately and I'd say that this year I have traded less frequently than I have in a long time. In any case, I am never the guy who has to book a trade. If I see an opportunity, I take it. If not, I don't trade at all that day.
MDawg
MDawg
April 7th, 2022 at 11:11:09 AM permalink
Two trades today, both TSLA. 1034 - 1036, and 1027 - 1028. Closed these out, especially the second one, when things were looking dire. As is the case quite often with my trades (because my entry points tend to be quite good), if I had held longer would have made a lot more.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 7th, 2022 at 1:22:05 PM permalink
Well, without having to read long winded responses. I’ll stick to what I said. Your daily trades that don’t turn green in the course of a day are merely put into long term hold. You don’t discuss those “red” dailies. If you execute a trade and it turns green and you sell it during the day….you post that here.

I’m merely saying the full transparency of what you are doing isn’t really shown. My guess is there were numerous buys of Tesla when it went from $1,200 down to $700 and you were in the red by days end. All those are merely dumped into long term. So, a person doesn’t really get a clear picture of how you are faring.
MDawg
MDawg
April 7th, 2022 at 1:31:39 PM permalink
All you seem to be saying is that you cannot relate to whatever it is I do.

I have not booked a losing trade other than the two shorts I mentioned, in years and years. And no, I don't simply buy on the way down, I tend to sharpshoot the low for the day and if anything, make far less than I could have on my trades. When I first started trading over two decades ago I was like you - didn't think it was possible to keep hitting the low for the day or for that cycle. Now, I know better. There are outsiders, and then there are insiders. I'm on the inside doing it.

I do know that SooPoo, even with limited experience, emulated what I do and was successful at it more often than not. Give him twenty plus years and he might end up a sharpshooter like me too.

In any case, by now you must realize that these stocks go up and down all the time. What you haven't yet figured out is a way to profit from that at any given moment. The extent of my profits are limited only by the fact that I don't always have the time to spend on trading, because I have a lot of other business (and personal affairs) to which to attend.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
TDVegas
April 7th, 2022 at 8:05:02 PM permalink

I have not booked a losing trade other than the two shorts I mentioned, in years and years. And no, I don't simply buy on the way down, I tend to sharpshoot the low for the day and if anything, make far less than I could have on my trades. When I first started trading over two decades ago I was like you - didn't think it was possible to keep hitting the low for the day or for that cycle. Now, I know better. There are outsiders, and then there are insiders. I'm on the inside doing it.

I do know that SooPoo, even with limited experience, emulated what I do and was successful at it more often than not. Give him twenty plus years and he might end up a sharpshooter like me too.

In any case, by now you must realize that these stocks go up and down all the time. What you haven't yet figured out is a way to profit from that at any given moment. The extent of my profits are limited only by the fact that I don't always have the time to spend on trading, because I have a lot of other business (and personal affairs) to which to attend.
link to original post

Since I was mentioned…. I’ve stopped posting my ‘trades’ as I was noticing that I was doing what TDVegas mentioned. I now own more DraftKings than I’d want because the shares I’d hoped to trade never reached the sale point, and I’m down I think 30% on those ‘trading’ shares. Now if DK comes back to what I paid for it I may or may not sell…. But even though I haven’t ‘booked’ a loss, it is a loss to me ‘as of now’. MDawg, I think my trades are maybe 1/100 the value of yours. I think telling the forum I made $50 on a trade was likely met with ‘who the F cares?’ So I’ve stopped posting such.
MDawg
MDawg
April 8th, 2022 at 12:18:43 AM permalink
I don't know anything about DraftKings, but if you trade only high quality stocks (not saying that DraftKings is not H.Q. just - I don't know) and as you get better and better at trading (meaning especially - picking entry and exit points) you will get stuck less and less often. But when you do get stuck, don't sell your birthright for a bowl of cold porridge - RAISE, don't lower your sell price. After all that time, after it hits, take something extra for your time spent in the now swing trade.
MDawg
MDawg
April 8th, 2022 at 10:37:54 AM permalink
For example at the moment TSLA is at 1032 which is about halfway between its low and high for the day - it would be amateurish to jump into a long dip trade on it at the moment, especially given that I caught it in the 1020s earlier this week. I'd hit it if it triple bottoms around 1020 or lower again, or just leave it alone for today. There is a lot that goes into figuring if / when to enter and I look at the range earlier in the week, whether this is the FIRST time in a while it has dropped to these levels, the Nasdaq, the DOW, what time in the day this is happening, lot of other factors too. You want to do what I do, get with your own learning curve. Takes years.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 8th, 2022 at 11:37:50 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

Since I was mentioned…. I’ve stopped posting my ‘trades’ as I was noticing that I was doing what TDVegas mentioned. I now own more DraftKings than I’d want because the shares I’d hoped to trade never reached the sale point, and I’m down I think 30% on those ‘trading’ shares. Now if DK comes back to what I paid for it I may or may not sell…. But even though I haven’t ‘booked’ a loss, it is a loss to me ‘as of now’. MDawg, I think my trades are maybe 1/100 the value of yours. I think telling the forum I made $50 on a trade was likely met with ‘who the F cares?’ So I’ve stopped posting such.
link to original post

Thanks for the transparency. While obviously trading can be profitable…I just don’t find credibility in MDawgs ratio of positive trades vs. losing trades. Then again, his losing trades simply go into a long term bin and forgotten?….so as I’ve repeated many times, I find it a bit disingenuous in how he posts “cha Ching”. I find the same credibility issues on his playing baccarat at an advantage.
MDawg
MDawg
April 8th, 2022 at 12:17:51 PM permalink

For example at the moment TSLA is at 1032 which is about halfway between its low and high for the day - it would be amateurish to jump into a long dip trade on it at the moment, especially given that I caught it in the 1020s earlier this week. I'd hit it if it triple bottoms around 1020 or lower again, or just leave it alone for today. There is a lot that goes into figuring if / when to enter and I look at the range earlier in the week, whether this is the FIRST time in a while it has dropped to these levels, the Nasdaq, the DOW, what time in the day this is happening, lot of other factors too. You want to do what I do, get with your own learning curve. Takes years.
link to original post

When I bite a lot has to be going in my favor. I'll pass on thousands of potential trades that another trader might execute. My trades are extreme high probability, and it is extremely rare that I get stuck. They all get closed out at a profit eventually, and close to all of them the same day. Might get stuck a few times a year is all, and even they always come back to book a profit. Cha'ching!

For example looky here, TSLA at 1032 actually would have been fine today. It woulda made a few points. Do I regret not having jumped in? NO. That was not a highest probability trade. If you have to ask WHY it was not a highest probability trade, you're not ready for the big time....
MDawg
MDawg
April 14th, 2022 at 9:38:59 AM permalink
Elon spreading himself thin with this obsession over TWTR. I hit it at 981 for a nice trade earlier this week, have another order in at the same price now if it dips that low.
MDawg
MDawg
April 20th, 2022 at 12:04:33 PM permalink
NFLX is getting killed (down as much as -30% today) since it lost subscribers for the first time in a decade as reported last night. Now TSLA is down about -50 points for the day. Just keep in mind though that the action before the bell has nothing do with the action after. Yesterday NFLX was up before earnings, today TSLA is down. Get ready to rumble at a bit after 1pm EST!
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 20th, 2022 at 1:22:29 PM permalink
NFLX down over 35%. Had it at one time in $650 range. I dumped it all at $600. Frankly, I have Netflix and…eh, it’s a LOT of B type movies. Bad acting, bad scripts.

They throw you a bone once in a while with an academy award movie…but far and few. There may be better options but I’ve found a lot them offer garbage quality movies. If a movie doesn’t have a wiki entry…it’s usually Lifetime channel quality content. A LOT of Netflix movies are like that.

Power of the Dog. I watched it last night. I seriously don’t get all the acclaim.

NFLX will have to change their business model and offer lower cost options with ads.

Tesla beat on earnings after hours. It was up around $50 after hours…let’s see how it holds into tomorrow.

Tech pretty much got wrecked today. NFLX was a surprise. Predicted 2.5 million subs. They actually lost 200,000.
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2022 at 1:46:42 PM permalink
I suspect Netflix is going to attempt to cut down on multiple households using one account.
TDVegas
TDVegas
April 20th, 2022 at 2:05:10 PM permalink

I suspect Netflix is going to attempt to cut down on multiple households using one account.
link to original post

Possibly, but that’s the least of their concerns right now. The stock has lost almost 70% in 5 months.

The CEO was actually buying shares at $400 a few weeks ago. Hard to understand if he had any inkling.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
April 20th, 2022 at 2:21:43 PM permalink

link to original post

Of course they are, however they should have done this years ago. They say they will also add advertising to help revenue. This is another thing they should have done years ago. I believe they thought they were once invincible but competition came and stole away customers. They acted too late and now they are seeing the results.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
DRich
DRich
April 20th, 2022 at 3:07:36 PM permalink
They are a great product that was first to market. Now the competition is coming and catching up. I expect that they will stay the dominate company in the market for 5 to 10 years.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
April 20th, 2022 at 3:37:34 PM permalink

link to original post

They will probably send security to the offender households claiming it's against the rules of Netflix.

Expect backrooming for use of other people's Netflix account.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
April 20th, 2022 at 4:23:37 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

link to original post

They will probably send security to the offender households claiming it's against the rules of Netflix.

link to original post

According to the FCC that might actually be a crime of theft.
billryan
billryan
April 20th, 2022 at 6:26:56 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

According to the FCC that might actually be a crime of theft.
link to original post

I'm not sure about criminal liability but certainly civil, and Netflix can ban people that violate the user agreement.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 20th, 2022 at 7:14:40 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Can't wait for that phone call. Yes, they have my permission.

Realistically, they will induce attrition in password sharing by annoyance, making the primary user reauthorize non-mobile devices (not cell phones) at different internet addresses more often.
The person paying the bill will just get sick of the hassle and fail to reconnect the freeloader's cord.
May the cards fall in your favor.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
April 20th, 2022 at 7:32:15 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

One way will be to limit simultaneous streaming.

So once the customer discovers he can't watch his own Netflix because someone he lent his password to is watching it, he will just change the password and not share it.

Can't wait for that phone call. Yes, they have my permission.

Realistically, they will induce attrition in password sharing by annoyance, making the primary user reauthorize non-mobile devices (not cell phones) at different internet addresses more often.
The person paying the bill will just get sick of the hassle and fail to reconnect the freeloader's cord.
link to original post

For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 20th, 2022 at 7:42:35 PM permalink

One way will be to limit simultaneous streaming.

So once the customer discovers he can't watch his own Netflix because someone he lent his password to is watching it, he will just change the password and not share it.
link to original post

Probably problematic for some families.
Dad has a TV, Mom has a TV, highschooler has a TV, and two kids off at different colleges sharing the password, plus they all have access on their phones... strikes me as a target demographic to not create negative brand equity with.

Unfortunately, it also looks a lot like the small apartment complex all sharing a password and wifi.
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: