Thread Rating:

MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 15
March 12th, 2020 at 10:41:33 AM permalink
So what about this STOCK MARKET. This is getting ridiculous. I am making money daily trading, buying dips long, but there is no way to hold any of these trades safely beyond...minutes, because a new bottom emerges sooner or later. And in any case, any money I am making trading is more than eclipsed by the over all down from my long term holds.

The US stock market is the biggest gamble there is out there, at least right now.

Long term, it will recover though.
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 13
March 12th, 2020 at 10:51:03 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

So what about this STOCK MARKET. This is getting ridiculous. I am making money daily trading, buying dips long, but there is no way to hold any of these trades safely beyond...minutes, because a new bottom emerges sooner or later. And in any case, any money I am making trading is more than eclipsed by the over all down from my long term holds.

The US stock market is the biggest gamble there is out there, at least right now.

Long term, it will recover though.

I dollar cost average and donít worry about it much. Iím only long term hold.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
MDawg
MDawg
March 12th, 2020 at 10:55:02 AM permalink
True, but it was fun watching the value of my account go up every day, instead of lately, down.

All these shorts making money these days will give it all back eventually!
I tell you itís wonderful to be here, man. I donít give a damn who wins or loses. Itís just wonderful to be here with you people.
MDawg
MDawg
March 12th, 2020 at 1:43:11 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

I dollar cost average and donít worry about it much. Iím only long term hold.

Look at this crazy market. At the last second today, just before close, I noticed AMZN at its low. I put in an order for 1675, FILLED. Right after it filled I swear I saw some bids at 1671 or so, but anyway it closed at 1675.61 I immediately entered an extended order to sell at 1680. It wasn't even a minute before this FILLED too at 1680. Nice trade!

But then I noticed asks as high at 1689, and I thought, okay this time I sold myself short. It's going to go (and maybe it will...later or tomorrow.) But no...now look at it, down -13 in the AH (after hours). Crazy market that stocks like AMZN could be red in the AH even after a day like today.

Yesterday I had a similar experience. I had, a fair amount of trading shares of AMZN that had a cost average of 1836. I was hatin', as it closed at well below that. So I put in an order to sell in the AH at 1837, and went to the gym. I really didn't expect much to happen. But then towards the end of my workout, around 5pm (California time), I came back to see that it had filled! Apparently the news of the President's coronavirus announcement had driven up the AH market.

Well, of course we all know what happened post announcement. Futures tanked, and the market was ultra-red again today. If I hadn't gotten that fill in the AH yesterday I woulda been down...considerable on those shares, this morning. I skated on that one. And again today.

But who knows, if AMZN opens up massively tomorrow then my fill at 1680 in the AH today will seem like a joke. In any case, I have a fair amount of very very long term shares of AMZN, and I am looking forward to AMZN's getting back above 2100.

This is of course part of the reason why the market is dropping. Traders like me and our computerized counterparts are buying and dumping quickly for a quick buck, not allowing stocks to go back up yet. When that changes and more buyers come in, willing to HOLD (and HODL - such as when it comes to bitcoin), everything will go back up and STAY up.

Crazy market.
MDawg
MDawg
March 12th, 2020 at 10:40:02 PM permalink
Okay now this is what I mean. After I unloaded at 1680 the shares I had picked up literally a minute earlier at 1675 for a five point easy trade profit, AMZN started tanking, as futures started tanking. But right now, futures have reversed, and show a GREEN opening of over +600. That makes a lot more sense...after a DROP like today's, one would expect a relief rally tomorrow. Which, if it happens, will mean that the ones who dumped at a loss in the AH today as AMZN tanked up to -45 points will feel VERY VERY SORRY tomorrow morning.

But, who knows. Lotta hours between right now and the opening bell. Most likely, tomorrow the broader market will open green, go up a lot, sell off to a little red, and then close very very green. That would make the most sense given today's and this week's action - action that has fooled a lot of people into thinking that things are going one way or another, depending on the time and day.

In a true bull market, the bag holder of today often ends up being the biggest winner of tomorrow. And today's nice trade ends up having given away the farm based on tomorrow's pop. But, that's in a true bull market. We haven't seen that in a few weeks now. For a few weeks now my general strategy of buying and selling quickly has worked the best. I haven't given away anything in my trades, rather, I've saved my arse from huge potential losses and locked in small but acceptable profits by selling quickly after buying. $1000. or $2000. (this afternoon's closing trade was for $5000.) on a trade is fantastic when compared to being down five, ten , twenty or even (ulp) fifty or a hundred K due to trying to hold on for more, and now having to average in more shares. In a true bull market, no stop losses are needed on the top industry leader stocks, as the stock always comes back. Been there!
Last edited by: MDawg on Mar 12, 2020
MDawg
MDawg
March 13th, 2020 at 7:44:33 AM permalink
Pretty much what I suspected would happen, happened today - we opened at the highest levels, sold off to less than half, then roared back up, but not all the way back up. TSLA in particular dropped to as low as about +1 and then went back up.

Remains to be seen if the rest of my prediction, that we close at the highest levels, comes to pass.
MDawg
MDawg
March 13th, 2020 at 8:05:02 AM permalink
TSLA just dropped to low of the day minus 11 or so. I'M GOIN' IN, LONG, 549.
MDawg
MDawg
March 13th, 2020 at 8:07:45 AM permalink
Out already, 2 pts.

If it drops to 546 or so will go long again.
MDawg
MDawg
March 13th, 2020 at 8:09:22 AM permalink
Back in at 546.
MDawg
MDawg
March 13th, 2020 at 8:09:42 AM permalink
Out 548.

• Jump to: