4 votes (100%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
November 2nd, 2010 at 4:28:20 PM permalink
Just got back ftom voting and waiting for the boys at FNC to recap the results (gave up ABC in 2004 after watching it since age 8 or so on election nights!)

The old-style lever machines are gone everywhere now. They claim they were easiest to rig, but there was a satisfaction when you pulled the lever and heard that "KER-THUNK" of the mechanics resetting. I said at the polls that the touch-screens should make the fake noise like a no-coin slot machine. One person said it would be a cool idea.

So, for a fun election night poll-what do you all think?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
November 2nd, 2010 at 4:34:32 PM permalink
The touch screens should emit a blood-curdling scream when you vote. Or, perhaps, maniacal laughter. Or maybe a recorded audio of Obama saying, "I'll get you for this!"
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 2nd, 2010 at 4:39:59 PM permalink
Paper, pencil and a big cross.

The UK counts it's election in one night (give or take). In Canada, Nunavut is counted in mere hours... and it's an area the size of Western Europe (okay, it's easies to count fast when you have less places to count).

But seriously, why does there need to be machines to do a simple enough job? It seems over-engineering to me...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 228
November 2nd, 2010 at 4:47:17 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Paper, pencil and a big cross.

The UK counts it's election in one night (give or take). In Canada, Nunavut is counted in mere hours... and it's an area the size of Western Europe (okay, it's easies to count fast when you have less places to count).

But seriously, why does there need to be machines to do a simple enough job? It seems over-engineering to me...

Way too many to count by hand and hand counting casuses errors. Ever do inventory for even a small store? many errors possible. Some states will have 15-20 votes to count as well in some elections with ballot inititives.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 2nd, 2010 at 4:54:20 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Way too many to count by hand and hand counting casuses errors. Ever do inventory for even a small store? many errors possible. Some states will have 15-20 votes to count as well in some elections with ballot inititives.

As I said, the UK manages to do a hand count for all it's major elections, over night. Each area is counted by a team of counters, and the results collated. As there is a physical piece of paper, votes can be recounted in the case of close run counts (which there was several of in the last UK election, meaning it took maybe 10-11 hours in some areas).

The UK is bigger than most (all?) States, so "too many" is hardly a problem.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 2nd, 2010 at 5:08:38 PM permalink
I suspect many of the "saws" in the "counting tool shed", are not very sharp. When hand-recounts are requested, it always amazes me that there can be different counts with only a few thousand ballots. The immediate excuse was "hanging chad", but I'm not buying it. Egads, how hard is it to count a hundred, put a rubberband around it, and move on the next stack...
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 2nd, 2010 at 5:20:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I suspect many of the "saws" in the "counting tool shed", are not very sharp. When hand-recounts are requested, it always amazes me that there can be different counts with only a few thousand ballots. The immediate excuse was "hanging chad", but I'm not buying it. Egads, how hard is it to count a hundred, put a rubberband around it, and move on the next stack...

I think that the functional problem in tabulating the Florida voting in the election that introduced us to the term "hanging chad" was this: having three individuals closely examine a single ballot often resulted in four or five opinions as to how that vote should be counted. That feature makes it very difficult to agree on a total.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 2nd, 2010 at 5:23:29 PM permalink
Is it 21st century yet?
Why in the world can't I just go to elections.gov, type in my SSN, and vote by selecting a bunch of radio buttons?
No touch screens, no scary sounds, no "dull saws in the counting shed", no expenses, no missed school for kids, no recounts, no disputes. And no guesswork, the results are known immediately after the "polls" close.
What's the downside? (And don't tell me about hackers, it's just ridiculous)
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 45
November 2nd, 2010 at 5:29:45 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

What's the downside? (And don't tell me about hackers, it's just ridiculous)

Yep. I'm sure there haven't been any hacked web sites lately. And you just know that the Chinese wouldn't be intrigued by an opportunity to hack the US federal election process.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
November 2nd, 2010 at 5:42:26 PM permalink
Quote: Doc

Yep. I'm sure there haven't been any hacked web sites lately. And you just know that the Chinese wouldn't be intrigued by an opportunity to hack the US federal election process.

If Chinese want to hack our election process, they'd be much better off sending in a couple million spies on student visas, and having them walk into the polling place and vote (where I live, they don't even ask for an id. all you need is to name a random address).

Yeah, there were hacked websites lately. But that's not the right way to look at it. How many websites that were actually really protected got hacked recently?

Like, did IRS website get hacked? How about the US Treasury? FDIC? Why not?
Because it is just too damn hard, if not flat out impossible.

There are three kinds of websites that get hacked - (1) those, run by amatures as a hobby, (2) those that don't care about getting hacked, because it is more expensive to get protected than to deal with the consequences, and (3) those that, despite what they say publicly, actually like getting hacked, because of the publicity it generates.

Oh, and also, even if some evil genius somehow manages to break into elections.gov, what can he do? He can't possibly expect that nobody will notice the break-in, so, there is no way he could alter the outcome of the elections, the only thing he can possibly hope to achieve is canceled elections. Is it really all that scary? We'd just need to vote again.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"

• Jump to: