MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 8th, 2018 at 9:07:12 AM permalink
In The Wizard of Oz when the Scarecrow gets his diploma (instead of a brain) he says the following:

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."

This of course is incorrect.
"What, me worry?"
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
July 8th, 2018 at 9:48:10 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

In The Wizard of Oz when the Scarecrow gets his diploma (instead of a brain) he says the following:

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."

This of course is incorrect.

You are willing to believe in scarecrows given brains but not flooky math

At any rate he really wasnt given a new brain. It was a fake honorary brain. He was smart to begin with

Just not good at math
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 8th, 2018 at 11:02:05 AM permalink
There is a Simpsons episode where Homer, wearing a pair of glasses he found, says the same thing in a public toilet stall, and the person in the stall next to him replies, "That's a right triangle, you idiot!"

However, both are wrong. The actual answer is based on the Pythagorean Theorem, which, in turn, is a corollary of the Law of Cosines, which is:
The square of the length of the side of any triangle equals the squares of the lengths of the other two sides minus two times the product of the lengths of those two sides times the cosine of the angle where they meet. (If it is a right triangle, the cosine is zero, the original side becomes the hypotenuse of a right triangle, and it becomes the Pythagorean Theorem.)
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 8th, 2018 at 11:04:02 AM permalink
Math. Bah. Who needs it?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
July 8th, 2018 at 1:05:22 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Math. Bah. Who needs it?

Someone a while ago asked me whether Sines (and by implication Cosines, Tangents etc.) were actually useful in normal everyday life - I'm sure they're used in architecture and cartography but that doesn't count.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 8th, 2018 at 1:18:20 PM permalink
I'm not a math guy. After passing geometry, I opted for easier classes like business math instead of calculus.
I wish I'd taken the harder classes as calculus factors I to many business decisions and it sucked having to relive on other people's calculations.
I'm pretty good at guesstimating but sometimes you need an exact figure. Fortunately, I have a strong network of mathletic friends.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
July 8th, 2018 at 1:29:04 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

There is a Simpsons episode where Homer, wearing a pair of glasses he found, says the same thing in a public toilet stall, and the person in the stall next to him replies, "That's a right triangle, you idiot!"

However, both are wrong. The actual answer is based on the Pythagorean Theorem, which, in turn, is a corollary of the Law of Cosines, which is:
The square of the length of the side of any triangle equals the squares of the lengths of the other two sides minus two times the product of the lengths of those two sides times the cosine of the angle where they meet. (If it is a right triangle, the cosine is zero, the original side becomes the hypotenuse of a right triangle, and it becomes the Pythagorean Theorem.)

It was probably in the script and the director said thats too long. Just cut it down
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
July 8th, 2018 at 2:17:16 PM permalink

I'm not a math guy. After passing geometry, I opted for easier classes like business math instead of calculus.
I wish I'd taken the harder classes as calculus factors I to many business decisions and it sucked having to relive on other people's calculations.
I'm pretty good at guesstimating but sometimes you need an exact figure. Fortunately, I have a strong network of mathletic friends.

4 $ store rib eyes= 1 (2 liter Diet Coke)+ HE on (AP'd burger @ Emerald Isle)

What else is there to know?

👍🤓😜
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
July 9th, 2018 at 1:37:16 PM permalink

Math. Bah. Who needs it?

Everyone needs a good understanding of basic math, but according to this report from the
BBC, fewer and fewer of us know enough to figure how to split the check for a shared dinner.

Apparently, increasing numbers of consumers cannot figure out whether the small size at 3 for $1.00 is a better deal than the larger size at 2 for $1.00.

Nor can they adjust a recipe designed to serve four when they plan to serve six at dinner.

They just say they don't need that stuff, and drive away with the "Ignorant and Proud of It!" bumper sticker on their car.

So sad.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
July 9th, 2018 at 1:49:45 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Apparently, increasing numbers of consumers cannot figure out whether the small size at 3 for $1.00 is a better deal than the larger size at 2 for $1.00.

Depends on how small the "small" is and how large the "large" is....

I do math every time I go to the grocery store to figure out the best per-ounce price.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 86
July 9th, 2018 at 3:24:54 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Depends on how small the "small" is and how large the "large" is....

I do math every time I go to the grocery store to figure out the best per-ounce price.

My mom always tells me about the $5 supermarket toilet paper Friday sale. I just get my toilet paper at Costco. I finally did a comparison based on square feet. Costco: $0.015/square foot. Supermarket: $0.025/square foot.
  • Jump to: