Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
June 30th, 2018 at 9:31:07 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Thanks to the Dems (Harry Reid) there is no longer a filibuster rule of 60 - now it is 51
http://time.com/5324365/harry-reid-filibuster-reform-supreme-court/

Dropping the filibuster rule (which personally I opposed but who cares what I think) for lower court judges is VERY different from dropping it (which Reid did NOT do) for SCOTUS. Lower court decisions can be appealed, including for judicial bias. SCOTUS decisions can't be appealed.

So a SCOTUS appointment should be 60%, to a higher standard, just as the justices themselves should be held to a higher standard. And just as laws need 50%+1, but Constitutional amendments must be 2/3 of states for ratification.

There should be no 50+VP option for SCOTUS approval.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
June 30th, 2018 at 9:40:02 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

So a SCOTUS appointment should be 60%, to a higher standard, just as the justices themselves should be held to a higher standard. And just as laws need 50%+1, but Constitutional amendments must be 2/3 of states for ratification.

Pedantic mode: 3/4 of the states - it's 2/3 of each house of Congress to get it to the states.

The supporters of the Equal Rights Amendment wish it was only 2/3 of the states...
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
June 30th, 2018 at 10:13:35 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Not really, more like infanticide.

Oh, we're talking about infanticide now? I thought the topic of discussion was abortion...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 221
June 30th, 2018 at 10:19:32 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

There should be no 50+VP option for SCOTUS approval.

Liberals foiled again! That darned Constitution! Every time!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 30th, 2018 at 10:20:37 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Oh, we're talking about infanticide now? I thought the topic of discussion was abortion...

Go read up on partial birth abortion. Then explain why it is not infanticide.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 21
June 30th, 2018 at 10:47:49 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Go read up on partial birth abortion. Then explain why it is not infanticide.

Already did before I posted. That's how I know they are legally distinct actions.

But here's a few links for you to browse, since it sounds like YOU are the one who needs to read up on it:

Infanticide

Infanticide law and legal definition

Intact dilation and extraction ("partial birth abortion")

Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act

You're welcome.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
June 30th, 2018 at 10:50:40 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Pedantic mode: 3/4 of the states - it's 2/3 of each house of Congress to get it to the states.

The supporters of the Equal Rights Amendment wish it was only 2/3 of the states...

Thanks. I didn't doublecheck. Should have.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
June 30th, 2018 at 10:54:24 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Already did before I posted. That's how I know they are legally distinct actions.

But here's a few links for you to browse, since it sounds like YOU are the one who needs to read up on it:

Infanticide

Infanticide law and legal definition

Intact dilation and extraction ("partial birth abortion")

Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act

You're welcome.

You can call it "legally distinct" all you want. I am talking realistically and morally. There is something very wrong with someone who is OK with PBA. I don't need to read up on it at all. I know all about it. It is sick.
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
June 30th, 2018 at 8:48:28 PM permalink
Despite some posts on here, Roe vs Wade making abortion legal is finished. Once again it will be the rich who can afford real doctors getting clinical abortions and the poor left behind mini marts being permanently scared. I wish you guys would just bag the thing and stop blaming the women.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 1st, 2018 at 4:37:05 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

Despite some posts on here, Roe vs Wade making abortion legal is finished. Once again it will be the rich who can afford real doctors getting clinical abortions and the poor left behind mini marts being permanently scared. I wish you guys would just bag the thing and stop blaming the women.

Finished? Really? How do you figure? What will be the legal hitch that overturns it?

• Jump to: