Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
May 6th, 2024 at 9:43:44 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Quote: EvenBob

Cubed turnips, onions, green pepper, cauliflower rice, and shrimp stir fry topped with fried eggs and the best condiment ever invented Tabasco sauce. It's been around since the middle of the 19th century it has three ingredients, red pepper, distilled vinegar and salt. The stuff literally keeps forever unrefrigerated.

link to original post

Watch out for that salt.
link to original post

What salt, in the Tabasco? Any amount of Tabasco I use any one time you couldn't even measure the salt content it's so small
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 6th, 2024 at 9:46:50 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Nut low condiment list: mustard, horseradish, sauerkraut, Tabasco.
link to original post

I agree except for the sauerkraut which is pure salt. Also fresh ground pepper is on the list. Not that powdery crap that comes in pepper shakers I'm talking about fresh peppercorns that you grind yourself. I have an electric battery operated pepper grinder that was a great investment. And the peppercorns have to be fresh because all the flavor is in the moisture that's in the peppercorns. In the powdery stuff that most people use there's no moisture at all.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 7th, 2024 at 12:19:22 AM permalink
The salt in Tabasco looks negligible, 35mg / tsp.
That's about one third of what Texas Pete claims.
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 7th, 2024 at 8:28:47 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

That's for one teaspoon of Tabasco sauce. I dispense it drops at a time and I would be lucky if I use a teaspoon for an entire meal
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 7th, 2024 at 10:55:46 AM permalink

link to original post

That's for one teaspoon of Tabasco sauce. I dispense it drops at a time and I would be lucky if I use a teaspoon for an entire meal
link to original post

Surely. I also only use a few drops.
Hot sauce isn't like Angostura, where you drink it by the shot.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 7th, 2024 at 4:53:46 PM permalink
Today for dinner I had a Backyard BBQ. BBQ chicken, pork patty, sweet corn, mashed potato, and a chocolate brownie.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 8th, 2024 at 7:34:17 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Today for dinner I had a Backyard BBQ. BBQ chicken, pork patty, sweet corn, mashed potato, and a chocolate brownie.

link to original post

Why is it called backyard, is that a suggested place to eat it, next to the garbage can? I don't know how much you would have to pay me to eat this but it would be a lot.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
Thanked by
odiousgambit
May 8th, 2024 at 8:28:10 AM permalink

link to original post

These were banned in Russian gulags and North Korean prison camps as too unhealthy.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 8th, 2024 at 11:18:54 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

These were banned in Russian gulags and North Korean prison camps as too unhealthy.
link to original post

Yet there are Americans who think this stuff qualifies as actual food. 700 calories, 24 G of fat, 1500 mg of salt, and 90 carbs. There are basically four different items in the container and you have a list of ingredients that is well over a hundred items long. Over 30 different ingredients just in the corn. This gives processed food an entirely new meaning.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
May 8th, 2024 at 11:32:38 AM permalink
I drink a lot of OJ. I prefer high pulp. I think it's healthier. Just cracked open a new one this morning and I see it's kosher. WTF. What's the difference between kosher and non kosher OJ???????? Is the diff simply a fantasy blessing???

Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 8th, 2024 at 1:12:37 PM permalink
I believe they are just certifying that the orange juice is yeast-free.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
May 8th, 2024 at 2:21:18 PM permalink

I believe they are just certifying that the orange juice is yeast-free.
link to original post

Mostly that the equipment has not been used on non Kosher food products. Also, as terapined said, it does require some person to assert he has checked it all, and says some sort of prayer.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
May 8th, 2024 at 2:53:51 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I drink a lot of OJ. I prefer high pulp. I think it's healthier. Just cracked open a new one this morning and I see it's kosher. WTF. What's the difference between kosher and non kosher OJ???????? Is the diff simply a fantasy blessing???

No pig bits floating in it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
May 8th, 2024 at 5:25:55 PM permalink

Why is it called backyard, is that a suggested place to eat it, next to the garbage can? I don't know how much you would have to pay me to eat this but it would be a lot.

I paid $3,49 for that fine delicacy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 8th, 2024 at 6:14:46 PM permalink

I paid $3,49 for that fine delicacy.
link to original post

That much? 29 cents would be too much. How can you have 30 ingredients just in the corn.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 8th, 2024 at 6:31:45 PM permalink
Chicken salad sandwich with hot chicken broth. For the dressing I used half Greek yogurt and half Mayo combined with Parmesan cheese, chopped walnuts, and capers. This might be the best dressing I've ever made for this kind of sandwich. I could have eaten that dressing just on its own it was so tasty.

DRich
DRich
May 9th, 2024 at 6:54:48 AM permalink

That much? 29 cents would be too much. How can you have 30 ingredients just in the corn.
link to original post

Each of those 30 ingredients adds to the taste profile. I am guessing that you are used to eating bland food.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2024 at 11:00:27 AM permalink

link to original post

Each of those 30 ingredients adds to the taste profile. I am guessing that you are used to eating bland food.
link to original post

No, I'm used to eating real food. Corn that has 30 ingredients in it half of them you can't pronounce is not real food.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2024 at 5:49:46 PM permalink
Shredded pork enchiladas. I use 3 types of hot sauce. Texas Pete goes
into the sauce. The mild one, Valentina, goes into the filling and the
Tabasco goes on while I eat it.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 9th, 2024 at 6:03:29 PM permalink
Interesting. I've never cared for Valentina, and a colleague was recently complaining about Tabasco.
We're not sure if it's the Tabasco peppers or the fermentation, just that one whiff of it kills his apetite.

Texas Pete seems to be generally enjoyed, at least until people discover it's not from Texas.
I tried the extra hot Texas Pete, found I didn't like it. There is a change in the flavor balance, not just cranking up the heat two notches.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 9th, 2024 at 8:06:33 PM permalink

Interesting. I've never cared for Valentina, and a colleague was recently complaining about Tabasco.
We're not sure if it's the Tabasco peppers or the fermentation, just that one whiff of it kills his apetite.

Texas Pete seems to be generally enjoyed, at least until people discover it's not from Texas.
I tried the extra hot Texas Pete, found I didn't like it. There is a change in the flavor balance, not just cranking up the heat two notches.
link to original post

I love Valentina, I probably have half a dozen big bottles of it in my pantry. I watch a lot of Mexican travel videos and you always see Valentina on the table in every Mexican restaurant or somewhere in the kitchen. It's very popular and it's mild enough that you can use it almost anywhere. I bet I have 15 bottles of hot sauce in my pantry, mostly Valentina, Texas Pete, and Louisiana hot sauce. A big bottle of Tabasco will last me for more than a year.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
May 9th, 2024 at 8:18:12 PM permalink
I mix it up when it comes to H-sauce, However my go to is Taco Bell. Wally World (Walmart) will sell you 7.5oz's for 2 bucks.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 10th, 2024 at 12:01:43 AM permalink

link to original post

I love Valentina, I probably have half a dozen big bottles of it in my pantry. I watch a lot of Mexican travel videos and you always see Valentina on the table in every Mexican restaurant or somewhere in the kitchen. It's very popular and it's mild enough that you can use it almost anywhere. I bet I have 15 bottles of hot sauce in my pantry, mostly Valentina, Texas Pete, and Louisiana hot sauce. A big bottle of Tabasco will last me for more than a year.
link to original post

For me, Valentina has a bitterness I do not enjoy. I prefer hot sauces to be sour.
Those little bottles of hot sauce are the spice of life. ;)

I'm sure I have a few dozen bottles of hot sauces scattered around.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 10th, 2024 at 4:39:08 AM permalink

link to original post

Valentina is made from the guajillo pepper and I have to avoid that pepper, it upsets my system. Naturally, I don't like the smell of Valentina due to association. Tabasco I love, but it does put off a strong odor; one that dissipates almost instantly. It's the only thing at the table I like to use in sunny side up or over easy eggs, though, so I put it on and avoid smelling it for a few seconds.

Someone here recommended Melinda's and for when I want something not too hot it is my current choice. The original is all I've tried.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 10th, 2024 at 7:26:38 PM permalink

For me, Valentina has a bitterness I do not enjoy. I prefer hot sauces to be sour.
Those little bottles of hot sauce are the spice of life. ;)

I'm sure I have a few dozen bottles of hot sauces scattered around.
link to original post

I did an inventory today of my hot sauce and I have four big bottles of Valentina plus the one I just opened. Have you ever tried the black label Valentina. It's a lot stronger than the red one. I only have one bottle of Texas Pete left but I do have the Tapato which is very similar. I have half a dozen bottles of Louisiana and one more Tabasco. So I'm good for well into 2025.

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 11th, 2024 at 2:57:30 AM permalink
"Great Value" Louisiana is a rip off of the brand "Louisiana Hot Sauce"

It's their own fault, talk about setting yourself up for this ... what a stupid trademark

but I thought you should know what you are getting, which is not to say what you bought isn't good stuff [maybe]. "Great Value" is a Walmart brand, I think.

You could also argue that Louisiana Hot Sauce came about in order to steal business from Tabasco. For that reason I never have tried it, and sort of think them getting ripped off is an OK thing.

And Great Value is not the only one

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 11th, 2024 at 11:03:51 AM permalink
Went to a food auction today and hit the jackpot. Bought a case of 9 lb jars of Maille Dijon mustard. Four to a case they generally sell for $120 I got all four of them for $23. This is probably 5 years worth of mustard for me. Gray Poupon and Maille are ranked almost exactly the same but I prefer Maille because it's smoother and doesn't leave an aftertaste like Gray Poupon does. Maille is definitely more expensive, $13 for a 12 oz jar on Amazon and the same amount of Gray Poupon is about $5. A good Dijon mustard can be used in so many recipes.

rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
May 11th, 2024 at 12:01:31 PM permalink
Food auction?
DRich
DRich
May 11th, 2024 at 12:36:17 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Food auction?
link to original post

I have also never heard of a food auction.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 11th, 2024 at 2:55:30 PM permalink

Quote: rainman

Food auction?
link to original post

I have also never heard of a food auction.
link to original post

Food auctions sell surplus government food. They sell seasonal, discontinued or near-sell-by-date food.
They sell bulk quantities of food and groceries from retailers and manufacturers. Been going to them off and on since the 80s you never know what you're going to find and they're always packed to the rafters with people. Especially these days with runaway inflation the way it is. I just got $120 worth of Dijon mustard for $23.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 11th, 2024 at 3:41:47 PM permalink
Haven't posted here in a while...it's Saturday, so it's one of my usual Saturday "meal plans":
Breakfast - bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch cereal
Lunch - a couple of Pigs In Blankets (two 1.5-ounce Nathan's hot dogs, wrapped in biscuit dough and then baked)
Dinner - a couple of 1/4-lb cheeseburgers with some corn on the cob, now that fresh corn is back in stores at an affordable price; I usually stock up, shuck them, wrap them in foil, stick them in the freezer, and have one every two weeks, year round
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 11th, 2024 at 7:15:01 PM permalink
It was a Dijon dinner Dijon encrusted chicken breast and sauteed mushrooms and broccoli with Dijon Greek yogurt and parm cheese sauce. The glaze for the chicken is half a cup of Dijon mustard, a teaspoon of olive oil and a quarter cup of Parmesan cheese. You have to put it on really thick cuz it's going to be half gone by the time it's done baking. Make this for a guest and he'll think you are a great chef.

• Jump to: