Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:08:46 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Show up to work as expected, but the expectations shouldn’t be that you’re the only person who can do the job and no one else can fill in as needed.

Are you saying that every employee of a company should be able to perfectly do the job of every other employee of a company?
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:14:48 AM permalink
A lot of people are obese because of genetics, pregnancy, or medical issues. For example, certain drugs cause you to gain weights tremendously. For example, let's say I have rheumatoid Arthritis. I take Rumira(Intentional misspelling of a certain Arthritis medicine, ;)), to cope with my Arthritis. Rumira causes my weight to shoot up 100 pounds. I am now obese from the side effects of Rumira. There is genetics. If your ancestors were obese, you have a higher risk of being obese yourself. You can eat lean fish, drink water at meals, eat boiled broccoli, eat the rainbow of fruits and vegetables, avoid carbs, avoid sweets and fats and still be obese due to genetics. Then there is the obvious reason people are obese. Pregnancy. My usually slim manager looked as big as a beach ball when she was pregnant with twins. My other usually slim coworkers/managers also looked huge when they were pregnant.
Last edited by: Nathan on Jun 2, 2018
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:37:33 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Rumira causes my weight to shoot up 100 pounds.

You can still account for that with changes to your nutritional intake. Those little pills you take are not increasing your weight, per se. They might be stimulating your appetite, or slowing your metabolism, but the extra weight is not magically appearing out of nowhere. You still need to be eating enough food to where your caloric expenditure is not keeping up with caloric intake, thus causing the extra 100 lbs. The Rumira may be causing your caloric expenditure to decrease in some way, but you can simply decrease your caloric intake proportionally to account for that. Same with genetics.

If you weigh X lbs, there are multiple factors affecting that. So:

Your weight = genetics + medications + age + metabolism + the food you eat + exercise

Naturally, you can't control your genetics, age, or metabolism, and let's say you can't control what medications you have to take. That still leaves the food you eat and how much physical exercise you are doing, which you have complete 100% control over.

Unfortunately, if you have bad genes or have side effects from medication, you might have to work a little harder than other people to stay on top of it, but it is totally possible.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:49:31 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

You can still account for that with changes to your nutritional intake. Those little pills you take are not increasing your weight, per se. They might be stimulating your appetite, or slowing your metabolism, but the extra weight is not magically appearing out of nowhere. You still need to be eating enough food to where your caloric expenditure is not keeping up with caloric intake, thus causing the extra 100 lbs. The Rumira may be causing your caloric expenditure to decrease in some way, but you can simply decrease your caloric intake proportionally to account for that. Same with genetics.

If you weigh X lbs, there are multiple factors affecting that. So:

Your weight = genetics + medications + age + metabolism + the food you eat + exercise

Naturally, you can't control your genetics, age, or metabolism, and let's say you can't control what medications you have to take. That still leaves the food you eat and how much physical exercise you are doing, which you have complete 100% control over.

Unfortunately, if you have bad genes or have side effects from medication, you might have to work a little harder than other people to stay on top of it, but it is totally possible.

That's what I was getting at. Certain medicines make people gain weight. ;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:49:58 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Then he can work at McDonalds from 2-5 everyday, then go across the street to 7-11 and work until 10. Both employers should have no problem following minimum wage laws

And if I’m running either place, he’s not getting hired. Now we’ll have an obesity-unable-to-work epidemic. Or would I be forced to hire someone to work for just a 3-hour shift?
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:51:34 AM permalink

Are you saying that every employee of a company should be able to perfectly do the job of every other employee of a company?

As I've said from the beginning, everyone is replaceable, especially if it's one hour that the employer knows about in advance.

Pregnancy, veteran status, and union activity are all protected classes in certain cases that are based entirely on life decisions. When I was in the reserves, federal law prevented my employer from firing me for taking weekends off for military reasons. What's not so crazy is anyone else could have taken a weekend off every month to do whatever they wanted and the place would have ran just fine.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
June 2nd, 2018 at 11:55:14 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Isn't soopoo an employee? Why would you think he has any practical experience as an employer?

Quote: SOOPOO

I was an employer for 25 years. Still am in our surgicenter, which is just a small part of my practice, I am the advisor to all our graduating residents about employment, contracts, etc....

I don't know...maybe because I know what I am talking about!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 2nd, 2018 at 12:25:45 PM permalink
To paraphrase our noble leader-
I like employers that don't have to become employees. People with successful businesses.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 2nd, 2018 at 12:43:25 PM permalink
Quote: 1MatterToMotion

Oh, stop it! As we become older, our brains trick us into thinking that we really know something. After all, we are old, so we must really know something? When, in fact, it's the same old world it always was.

By your logic we should only cast our eyes downward while contemplating our navel.

Meh.

"An unexamined life is not worth living."

----- Plato
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 2nd, 2018 at 12:55:36 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

By your logic we should only cast our eyes downward while contemplating our navel.

Meh.

"An unexamined life is not worth living."

----- Plato

"If only my mind was as easy to satisfy as my cock"
Plato.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
  • Threads: 0
June 2nd, 2018 at 1:50:38 PM permalink

"An unexamined life is not worth living." ----- Plato

By Plato's reckoning, I guess that only persons on internet forums have the right to life. Trees and everything else, goodbye.
Never make a bet that you wouldn't take, yourself.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 2nd, 2018 at 1:51:10 PM permalink
"In order for man to succeed in life, God provided him with two means, education and physical activity. Not separately, one for the soul and the other for the body, but for the two together. With these two means, man can attain perfection.”

-- Plato

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

-- Socrates
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
June 2nd, 2018 at 1:54:33 PM permalink

"In order for man to succeed in life, God provided him with two means, education and physical activity. Not separately, one for the soul and the other for the body, but for the two together. With these two means, man can attain perfection.”

-- Plato

“No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

-- Socrates

This is like reading the Bible? More old men.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RS
June 2nd, 2018 at 2:34:09 PM permalink
Quote: RS

And if I’m running either place, he’s not getting hired. Now we’ll have an obesity-unable-to-work epidemic. Or would I be forced to hire someone to work for just a 3-hour shift?

So you’re telling me you wouldn’t hire a guy at a fast food restaurant who won’t work during prime lunch or dinner time? That is probably unethical, or something. Has to be.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 2nd, 2018 at 2:47:04 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

So you’re telling me you wouldn’t hire a guy at a fast food restaurant who won’t work during prime lunch or dinner time? That is probably unethical, or something. Has to be.

Why is that unethical? It's typical business practice for pretty much every company in the world. They tell you the times they need you to work, and if you don't like it, you don't have to work there.
MrV
MrV
June 2nd, 2018 at 2:51:41 PM permalink

This is like reading the Bible? More old men.

Hello, wisdom of the ancients.

Of course many shallow-minded poorly educated folks simply cannot put ancient writings in context and thereby benefit from them.

Ignorance must be blissful for such unfortunates.
"What, me worry?"
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
June 2nd, 2018 at 3:18:22 PM permalink

Hello, wisdom of the ancients.

Of course many shallow-minded poorly educated folks simply cannot put ancient writings in context and thereby benefit from them.

Ignorance must be blissful for such unfortunates.

When was the last time anyone referenced the "wisdom of the ancients" in a scientific work? Philosophy has died an uneventful life. Except in the hearts of the "unfortunates". Don't hide behind gods and other ancients.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 2nd, 2018 at 3:30:57 PM permalink
Deleted
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 2nd, 2018 at 3:31:35 PM permalink

When was the last time anyone referenced the "wisdom of the ancients" in a scientific work? Philosophy has died an uneventful life. Except in the hearts of the "unfortunates". Don't hide behind gods and other ancients.

Those Plato and Socrates quotes I posted were simply talking about how exercise is good for you.... haha... How on earth can you possibly have a problem with that?
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 2nd, 2018 at 3:32:26 PM permalink

Why is that unethical? It's typical business practice for pretty much every company in the world. They tell you the times they need you to work, and if you don't like it, you don't have to work there.

Sorry, missed putting an emoji or something in I guess, sarcasm just doesn’t go over text sometimes. I don’t actually think it’s unethical.
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
June 2nd, 2018 at 3:39:34 PM permalink

Those Plato and Socrates quotes I posted were simply talking about how exercise is good for you.... haha... How on earth can you possibly have a problem with that?

One mentioned perfection, and the other implied professionalism or expertise. I do laugh at that. A bunch of freaks on steroids. And mental midgets.

We are all trees of a sort. Just in a different sort of forest.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
RS
June 2nd, 2018 at 4:12:33 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Yeah due to my religious beliefs I don't work sometimes. When or what day that depends, don't deny my religious freedom tho
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
MrV
MrV
June 2nd, 2018 at 4:54:38 PM permalink

Philosophy has died an uneventful life. Except in the hearts of the "unfortunates". Don't hide behind gods and other ancients.

Really?!

Philosophy most certainly is of benefit to some people today, namely those with open minds.

No, not when it comes to "scientific" things like designing thermo-nuclear weapons; it is of benefit to individuals who wonder how best to come to grips with the reality of their existence.

Me, I don't believe in god, but I find value in the writings of Albert Camus (not so ancient), and I enjoyed reading and studying the writing of philosophers from the ancients until modern times.

It has helped me to think more clearly; YMMV.

Socrates and Plato were the foundation upon which much has been built; sure they got a lot wrong but at least they got around to asking the right questions.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 2nd, 2018 at 5:04:40 PM permalink

Now that's kind of short sighted.

Here's what I consider a better answer.

Quote:

Philosophers ask a lot of questions, but as soon as everyone agrees about how to answer them, it ceases to be “philosophy.” So philosophy seems useless because it provides no answers; but the reason is that as soon as an answer to some question can be given, the topic is no longer considered “philosophy.” Then it’s “physics,” “political science,” or “psychology.” But the important questions always get posed as “philosophical” questions.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
June 2nd, 2018 at 5:19:22 PM permalink
"Why" vs. "How."
"What, me worry?"
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
June 2nd, 2018 at 6:07:55 PM permalink

"Why" vs. "How."

Why seems the idiotic stuff of generals who send their armies to find out how to die. Open minds are short-sighted, in the sense that as clear as clear is, there is no frame of reference in it. True clarity is empty. No, you'll have to do better than that.
MrV
MrV
June 2nd, 2018 at 6:17:52 PM permalink

Why seems the idiotic stuff of generals who send their armies to find out how to die. Open minds are short-sighted, in the sense that as clear as clear is, there is no frame of reference in it. True clarity is empty. No, you'll have to do better than that.

OK B.Y., I mean 1M2M.

Trying to get to the pith of your posts is akin to trying to grasp smoke.
"What, me worry?"
1MatterToMotion
1MatterToMotion
June 2nd, 2018 at 6:37:39 PM permalink

OK B.Y., I mean 1M2M.

Trying to get to the pith of your posts is akin to trying to grasp smoke.

The universe sees itself through each of us, one life at a time. It doesn't cast out one in favor of the other. It doesn't shortchange itself. The sun shines on everyone.

Quote:

Philosophers ask a lot of questions, but as soon as everyone agrees about how to answer them, it ceases to be “philosophy.” So philosophy seems useless because it provides no answers; but the reason is that as soon as an answer to some question can be given, the topic is no longer considered “philosophy.” Then it’s “physics,” “political science,” or “psychology.” But the important questions always get posed as “philosophical” questions.

The nature of reality (philosophy) is that it has no nature. That no question is any more important than any other.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
June 4th, 2018 at 11:41:43 AM permalink
Quote: RS

It wouldn't be an epidemic because when you only look to the most extreme / retarded examples, you won't find enough to create an epidemic. I have worked plenty of places that allowed for far more flexible schedules than the proposal from the government advisor in the original article. The largest employer in Las Vegas will hire virtually anyone who meets minimum requirements and allow them to make their own schedule -- three to seven hours per day, one to five times per week for 150% minimum wage. They also offer contracts with much more rigid schedules that pay about three times that. Being able to make something like that work, from either management or labor mostly comes down to simply not being retarded. So long as we can achieve that, all the problems you like to dream up can be worked out.
Veronika
Veronika
June 8th, 2018 at 5:26:41 AM permalink
with your schedule, you may need to work out a certain number of hours.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
June 9th, 2018 at 12:10:20 AM permalink

Really?!

Philosophy most certainly is of benefit to some people today, namely those with open minds.

No, not when it comes to "scientific" things like designing thermo-nuclear weapons; it is of benefit to individuals who wonder how best to come to grips with the reality of their existence.

Me, I don't believe in god, but I find value in the writings of Albert Camus (not so ancient), and I enjoyed reading and studying the writing of philosophers from the ancients until modern times.

It has helped me to think more clearly; YMMV.

Socrates and Plato were the foundation upon which much has been built; sure they got a lot wrong but at least they got around to asking the right questions.

I'll grant that philosophy has been tainted by JCI religion and academia. The philosophy being done at a university is much less important than the science.

Philosophy is still more important though. Making nukes is science. Deciding how to use them is philosophy. Better to have bad science than bad philosophy.

Our culture is awash in scientific miracles. In certain ways, we are all richer than kings of the past. But mental illness and addiction are rampant. Even the most fortunate of the fortunate commit suicide.

To me, this shows that understanding ourselves, finding contentment an equanimity, and pursuing eudaimonia are of foundational importance. You can't just paper over it with material gains.
  • Jump to: