bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
July 26th, 2010 at 4:15:23 PM permalink
Interesting new policy by vegas' hometown airline. They have essentially said they aren't liable for travel delays due to mechanical failure. They are labeling mechanical failures as an act of god now.

Story is here
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 26th, 2010 at 4:18:07 PM permalink
Quote: bluefire

Interesting new policy by vegas' hometown airline. They have essentially said they aren't liable for travel delays due to mechanical failure. They are labeling mechanical failures as an act of god now.

Story is here

It is probably just a legal issue. In fact, I suspect they won't change any policy, but now they can't get sued.
bluefire
bluefire
July 26th, 2010 at 4:25:03 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Story is here

It is probably just a legal issue. In fact, I suspect they won't change any policy, but now they can't get sued.

what do you think the effect on other airlines will be? Is it conceivable it could lead to airlines not offering compensation like the article suggests?
iamthepush
iamthepush
  • Threads: 6
July 26th, 2010 at 4:47:29 PM permalink

Interesting new policy by vegas' hometown airline.

what do mean by hometown?
bluefire
bluefire
July 26th, 2010 at 4:57:48 PM permalink
Quote: iamthepush

Interesting new policy by vegas' hometown airline.

what do mean by hometown?

Was referring to Las Vegas being a focus city for Southwest, and providing ~40% of all passenger travel to McCarran.
OneAngryDwarf
OneAngryDwarf
  • Threads: 44
July 26th, 2010 at 8:06:51 PM permalink
It's a major market for them, but it's definitely not their "hometown." If anything their hometown is Dallas since that's where their corporate HQ is located.

Totally off-topic, but an interesting side note: until a few years ago, despite Southwest's HQ being in Dallas, and having a major hub at Love Field, it was essentially impossible to book a flight on SW to Dallas from anywhere outside of Texas and eight neighboring states. The Wright Amendment is a perfect example of the too-cozy relationship between politicians and business interests (in this case American Airlines and the now-defunct Braniff).
"I believe I've passed the age/of consciousness and righteous rage/I've found that just surviving was a noble fight... I once believed in causes too/I had my pointless point of view/And life went on no matter who was wrong or right..." --Billy Joel
bluefire
bluefire
July 26th, 2010 at 8:57:30 PM permalink
Quote: OneAngryDwarf

It's a major market for them, but it's definitely not their "hometown." If anything their hometown is Dallas since that's where their corporate HQ is located.

Totally off-topic, but an interesting side note: until a few years ago, despite Southwest's HQ being in Dallas, and having a major hub at Love Field, it was essentially impossible to book a flight on SW to Dallas from anywhere outside of Texas and eight neighboring states. The Wright Amendment is a perfect example of the too-cozy relationship between politicians and business interests (in this case American Airlines and the now-defunct Braniff).

While I agree it's not Southwest's "hometown", I'd consider it Vegas' "hometown" airline, in the sense that it's the company that has really devoted a lot of attention and received a lot of support from the market.

I'm using it in the same way that Dairy Queen is considered the "hometown" fast food joint here in Texas. It's not headquartered in Texas, it really doesn't have much to do with Texas (it's headquartered in Minnesota and was started in Illinois) yet it's considered the "hometown" joint because of the support that it receives from the market, the attention it gives to the market (special commercials, menu items, etc), and the history of operating here.
  • Jump to: