No votes (0%)
5 votes (62.5%)

8 members have voted

aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
April 20th, 2015 at 9:46:29 AM permalink
covered girl challenge article

I am an atheist but, where is the Hasidic Jew day, reenactment of the crucifixion of Christ, wearing strainers for Pastafarian day?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 20th, 2015 at 9:58:10 AM permalink
What about Rastafarian day? http://altreligion.about.com/od/alternativereligionsaz/a/rastafari.htm
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 20th, 2015 at 10:03:38 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

What about Rastafarian day? http://altreligion.about.com/od/alternativereligionsaz/a/rastafari.htm

dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
April 20th, 2015 at 10:28:29 AM permalink
That dailycaller website is terrible. My browser was choking on ads, i couldn't read the article.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 20th, 2015 at 10:36:16 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

That dailycaller website is terrible. My browser was choking on ads, i couldn't read the article.

I had no issues - if you Google it there are plenty of articles
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 20th, 2015 at 10:37:43 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

Even with Adblocker?
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
April 20th, 2015 at 11:00:20 AM permalink
I just want to make a simple observation. In my limited view on religions and how they affect the world, all try to recruit, etc, but only muslims seem to actively seek areas they are not in/welcomed/etc and literally attempt to just start running the place with muslim law. There's been cases in Australia (where very very little % of the population was muslim) and yet when a muslim did something against Australian law they decreed it was okay because it was within their religious laws. Then they take it to the highest courts in an attempt to prove religous law rules. I've only seen this from muslim culture to actually attempt to change the LAWS of other nations to how they see fit by their religious beliefs.

I personally don't take issue with any religion. I consider myself a custom level of being agnostic, so I believe all religions are equally wrong/manipulative =).

As for how this pertains to the video, I think it's more of the same on a smaller scale. What if someone said let's have "national be gay for a day?" That day everyone is gay and should participate in all aspects of gay culture, and I mean all ;). I think it was said the best by a comedian... "Religions are like men's dicks. It's great to have one, everyone thinks theirs in the best, and it's not okay for anyone to shove theirs down my nor my children's throats."

You want to be muslim? Great... but stop trying to push it upon others. Same as being gay, christian, or whatever else you want to be. If it makes you happy, fantastic. Then stop trying to convince us it would make us happy too. As many people so eloquently put it, perhaps I wasn't born the same way.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
April 20th, 2015 at 11:30:25 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

I just want to make a simple observation. In my limited view on religions and how they affect the world, all try to recruit, etc, but only muslims seem to actively seek areas they are not in/welcomed/etc and literally attempt to just start running the place with muslim law. There's been cases in Australia (where very very little % of the population was muslim) and yet when a muslim did something against Australian law they decreed it was okay because it was within their religious laws. Then they take it to the highest courts in an attempt to prove religous law rules. I've only seen this from muslim culture to actually attempt to change the LAWS of other nations to how they see fit by their religious beliefs.

I personally don't take issue with any religion. I consider myself a custom level of being agnostic, so I believe all religions are equally wrong/manipulative =).

As for how this pertains to the video, I think it's more of the same on a smaller scale. What if someone said let's have "national be gay for a day?" That day everyone is gay and should participate in all aspects of gay culture, and I mean all ;). I think it was said the best by a comedian... "Religions are like men's dicks. It's great to have one, everyone thinks theirs in the best, and it's not okay for anyone to shove theirs down my nor my children's throats."

You want to be muslim? Great... but stop trying to push it upon others. Same as being gay, christian, or whatever else you want to be. If it makes you happy, fantastic. Then stop trying to convince us it would make us happy too. As many people so eloquently put it, perhaps I wasn't born the same way.

Couldn't agree with this more. You want to worship the great spaghetti monster...fine. You pray on Saturday instead of Sunday fine. Face east 5 times a day, wear a head covering and grow a beard. Also Fine. Execute women who try to get an education, NOT FINE. Don't impose your beliefs on others. Period. Some of these right wing religious nutbars. Not just Muslims, btw. Want to turn back the clock to the freaking 7th century or whatever. This radical practice of Islam, and other religions is the biggest threat in the world today. By a lot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 20th, 2015 at 12:53:46 PM permalink
Quote: vendman1

Couldn't agree with this more. You want to worship the great spaghetti monster...fine. You pray on Saturday instead of Sunday fine. Face east 5 times a day, wear a head covering and grow a beard. Also Fine. Execute women who try to get an education, NOT FINE. Don't impose your beliefs on others. Period. Some of these right wing religious nutbars. Not just Muslims, btw. Want to turn back the clock to the freaking 7th century or whatever. This radical practice of Islam, and other religions is the biggest threat in the world today. By a lot.

+1
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
April 21st, 2015 at 11:11:31 PM permalink

I put your exact words, "Muslim did something against Austrailan law," into a google search and came back with this: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/australia.asp

is there something else that you could reference or was this just something you made up?

As for how this pertains to the video, I think it's more of the same on a smaller scale. What if someone said let's have "national be gay for a day?" That day everyone is gay and should participate in all aspects of gay culture, and I mean all ;).

You really think wearing something on your head represents all aspects of Muslim culture. What this girl was talking about would be like if a gay group came up with the idea that any student who chooses to could listen to Barbra Streisand for a day. Would that offend you this strongly too? Would that really be a recruiting tool to turn people gay?
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
April 22nd, 2015 at 12:01:53 AM permalink
I think the intent of these events is good, but they could be done better. In this case they could have gone through with it, rather than just backing down to those with different beliefs, because that only makes them more likely to assert their beliefs on others in future situations. I think it would be best if we changed a lot about how we view religion and education. Rather than try to appease every religious group by offering a day of celebration for everyone, weekly holidays and chaos it would probably be better to remove all religious events/traditions in schools. It is far too difficult to teach everything.

An alternative is to have something like a comparative religions class that everyone takes just to allow groups to feel represented and inform those that want it. Just thoughts.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 22nd, 2015 at 12:35:51 AM permalink
>You want to be muslim? Great... but stop trying to push it upon others.

Everyone pushes someone else due to someone else's bad habits. Abortion? Highway design? Ecology? Music? Dancing?

Most of the muslim communities in France are insular, they are referred to as satellite cities. All tune in Islamic channels.
Education is largely brainwashing of the ignorant yet there is a strong appeal amongst professionals for a society of total domination of females. Recall perhaps that the terrorists of Sept. 11th were not young zealots, but engineers. Subjugation of females is simply a choice perpetuated by males it is merely woven with religious trappings but is entirely cultural. Yet muslims exposed to western values often feature boycotts of stores that sell pork or gyms that are not totally separate. In Indonesia stores have to put away merchandise several times a day so as not to carry on commerce during prayers or when muslims are getting ready to pray. Even Tunisia wanted to ban restaurants during Ramadan's daily fast.

I just watched a Dateline episode wherein a young man from Indiana snuck by police outposts and trekked miles over rubble often obscured by smoke to check on the welfare of his Kiwi girlfriend after a great tsunami leveled her Japanese village. I somehow just don't see such things happening in Islamic societies wherein wives must walk ahead of the camels because there are still unexploded land mines in Saudi Arabia from the first war.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
April 22nd, 2015 at 3:19:08 AM permalink

You obviously have not read the Koran and the Hadiths.

From the Koran:

-I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. Smite them above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.

-Oh Prophet!, strive heard against the unbelievers and be firm against them.

-Fight them until there is no more disbelief and worshiping of others.

There are many more example of this throughout the Koran and the Hadiths, where the words 'Kill' and 'Fight' are mentioned as often as 'Pray'

Gospels;

Luke 6:27- Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you.

Luke 6:28- Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Al-Bhukari Hadiths

A Jew and a Jewess were brought to Allah's Apostle on a charge of committing illegal sexual intercourse.

....So Allah's Apostle ordered the two sinners to be stoned to death.

Ibn Umar added: 'So both of them were stoned , and I saw the Jew sheltering the Jewess'.

A much different lesson 600 years earlier:

John 8:4 (edited)

They said unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Moses in the law commanded that such should be stoned; But what sayest thou?

Jesus replied, "He that is without sin, let him cast the first stone". After they left, Jesus asked the woman, 'Hath no man condemned thee?''.

She replied, 'No man Lord.' And Jesus said unto her, 'Neither do I condemn thee: go and sin no more'.
  • Jump to: