Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
August 15th, 2014 at 6:10:25 AM permalink
If Ace has put his number on the national "Do Not Call" list, he can file a complaint with the FTC. I don't know if one complaint triggers any sort investigation, but it might be an avenue towards getting the call data.

BTW, a local lawyer's commercial here advertises that "you could be eligible for $1500 for each unwanted call you receive!" I have no idea if this is based on state or federal (or no) laws, but I always think about this ad whenever I get a call from my boss! :)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 15th, 2014 at 6:49:40 AM permalink
Quote: Fortalezo

Thanks for the heads-up on spooking. So that's how telemarketers/identity thieves spook and scam victims with 3rd-party phone numbers such as IRS#, FBI#, DEA#, CIA#, ICE#,eh?

that is exactly how they do it. You can do it for free, I have an app on my phone that does it. I call my friend all the time with crazy stuff just for fun.

Creditors also do this. They will spoof their number to a made up local number so people will answer thinking it is a friend instead of an 800 number.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 15th, 2014 at 6:53:11 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

If Ace has put his number on the national "Do Not Call" list, he can file a complaint with the FTC. I don't know if one complaint triggers any sort investigation, but it might be an avenue towards getting the call data.

BTW, a local lawyer's commercial here advertises that "you could be eligible for $1500 for each unwanted call you receive!" I have no idea if this is based on state or federal (or no) laws, but I always think about this ad whenever I get a call from my boss! :)

There are many rules in place against cell phone. The TCPA specifically protects you against telemarketers and creditors calling your cell phone. The caveat is that you can not have provided it to them. Each unwanted call to your cell phone can be fined $500-$1500 per call.

Unlike the FDCPA, lawyers will not take a case unless there are a bunch of calls because attorney fees are not awarded like it is with the FDCPA.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
  • Jump to: