Thread Rating:

Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 68
  • Posts: 11933
June 14th, 2018 at 7:12:40 AM permalink
Sitting on my front steps at home, I'm watching the ants scurry around on the sidewalk and are just amazed at how fast they are relative to their size. I'd bet if they were the size of cheetahs and moved at the same rate, they'd be much, much faster than those cats.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 310
  • Posts: 6775
June 14th, 2018 at 8:01:35 AM permalink
Much stronger, too.

Kind of makes you wonder why evolution hasn't resulted in them getting bigger, competing against the weaker species.
"What, me worry?"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 140
  • Posts: 1961
June 14th, 2018 at 12:31:40 PM permalink
this Florida guy has to be in the running for dumbest criminal ever.

he thought his dealer sold him some bad meth and he wanted to press charges against the dealer

so he took the meth to the sheriff's office to be tested

it tested positive for meth

then they arrested him


http://cbs12.com/news/local/florida-man-takes-meth-to-sheriff-to-be-tested
90% 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘭
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 417
  • Posts: 22380
June 14th, 2018 at 12:38:03 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

this Florida guy has to be in the running for dumbest criminal ever.



Many criminals are incredibly stupid. I
picked up a guy in my taxi in the 80's
who said he just got out of prison.

He had stolen a bunch of blank payroll
checks from a factory and was going
to the different bank branches and
cashing them made out to him.

He did three the first day, then waited
two days and went to the banks branch
in another town. He said "They were
waiting for me! The manager even tackled
me when I tried to run. And it was in a
totally different town!!"

What a moron. He got 5 years and did 2
of them.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Face
Administrator
Face
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4087
June 14th, 2018 at 12:44:21 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Much stronger, too.

Kind of makes you wonder why evolution hasn't resulted in them getting bigger, competing against the weaker species.




Been there, done that.

Insects "breathe" by diffusion. Instead of lungs and blood taking O2 everywhere, O2 merely passes through spiracles in the exoskeleton and diffuses throughout the body. Back in the day (way back, like Carboniferous period), O2 levels were >30% of the atmosphere, whereas today it's around 20. Essentially, normal ol' outside would be hypoxic to big buggers. That's why today's dragonflies are the size of your hand, instead of yesterday's specimens that were bigger than your dog.

ETA: For Ibeat, you can calculate the speed of animals by scale. Simply measure the length of their stride and time how long it takes to make that stride. Speed = distance / time. Measure the specimen, scale it up to whatever you're comparing, then scale up speed accordingly. Lemme go find one quick...

Little black ant (Monomorium minimum). ~3mm long, traveled 13cm in one second (when I spooked it).

13cm p/sec = 780cm p/min = 46,000cm p/hr, or almost 0.5 kph actual speed, if my 4th grade math still works (not a joke, best to double check).

I'll use the small end of average cheetah size to make the math easy for me, which is one meter (sans tail, body only). 1m / 3mm = 333.333..., so 0.5kph multiplied by 333.333... is.....

166.6 kph, or 103.5 in freedom units.

ETA2: Sorry for the faux pas of me doing math here. Feels like inviting a Hindi to a bbq...
Last edited by: Face on Jun 14, 2018
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 8201
June 14th, 2018 at 1:25:34 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Dippin Dots are making a comeback. Seen them at a mall, 7-11, and at a casino gift shop lately.



I didnt know they ever went anywhere we have them all over the place around me.

But that might be because I have kids and we do a lot of kids things.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT WHO YOU THINK I AM.
djatc
djatc
Joined: Jan 15, 2013
  • Threads: 83
  • Posts: 4384
June 14th, 2018 at 1:57:50 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I didnt know they ever went anywhere we have them all over the place around me.

But that might be because I have kids and we do a lot of kids things.



I don't get out much to non-casinos, and just happened to stop at a mall recently. Maybe it's like one of those things where once you buy a car you see more of the same make and model on the road. I remember there used to be an actual Dippin Dots kiosk at a mall back in the late 90's. Now it's all vending machines.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
GWAE
GWAE
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 8201
June 14th, 2018 at 2:24:12 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

I don't get out much to non-casinos, and just happened to stop at a mall recently. Maybe it's like one of those things where once you buy a car you see more of the same make and model on the road. I remember there used to be an actual Dippin Dots kiosk at a mall back in the late 90's. Now it's all vending machines.



Chuck e cheese has a dipping dot vending machine.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT WHO YOU THINK I AM.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 135
  • Posts: 6530
June 14th, 2018 at 5:27:45 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Much stronger, too.

Kind of makes you wonder why evolution hasn't resulted in them getting bigger, competing against the weaker species.



Bigger insects get noticed and killed. Few people notice an ant on their kitchen floor, but go nuts at the sight of a roach.
We tolerate spiders on our property until a huge one spins a web we can see.
NY had an outbreak of giant African cockroaches that was quickly contained, while millions of American roaches thrive.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 59
  • Posts: 7998
June 14th, 2018 at 5:39:32 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Bigger insects get noticed and killed. Few people notice an ant on their kitchen floor, but go nuts at the sight of a roach.
We tolerate spiders on our property until a huge one spins a web we can see.
NY had an outbreak of giant African cockroaches that was quickly contained, while millions of American roaches thrive.


As it should be.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous

  • Jump to: