Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
February 3rd, 2020 at 1:14:58 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Typically, working Joes start at 12 sick days a year, 12 paid holidays and 10 vacation days. That's 34 working days or 272 hours. Is the PTO in addition to the paid holidays?

The 40 hour max carry over is to encourage folks to use their vacation. Studies have consistently shown that time off makes for healthier and happier workers. However, there are some companies that buy back unused time off at the end of the year which defeats the best reason for offering vacation time.

Sadly, our company will not buy back any days or hours. As far as I know holidays are not included in our PTO. Use them or lose them.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
February 3rd, 2020 at 1:24:46 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Sadly, our company will not buy back any days or hours. As far as I know holidays are not included in our PTO. Use them or lose them.

Then use them. Is there anyone who, at the end of their life, will look back and say, "I regret not spending more days at work"? Encourage Mrs. Rich to prioritize some time off with you too. It's good for her, and for you, to re-charge your batteries every year.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 44
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:12:05 PM permalink

At your job do you get vacation time or PTO (paid time off)?

My company just switched from vacation time to PTO. How do they expect me to use 240 hours a year? I have probably taken 5 days of sick time in the eight years that I have been with them. I also usually take a one week vacation for an average of about 48 hours of off time per year.

Is there a required minimum they have to give? I just don't understand why it is so high. On my employment anniversary date they will take away 200 hours of PTO leaving 40 hours to be carried to the next year. I hate the idea of wasting the days and not using them, but I can't just sit home and do nothing as I would rather be at the office.

Obviously if my wife could get that much time off we would travel more, but that isn't an option with her position.

Typically, working Joes start at 12 sick days a year, 12 paid holidays and 10 vacation days. That's 34 working days or 272 hours. Is the PTO in addition to the paid holidays?

The 40 hour max carry over is to encourage folks to use their vacation. Studies have consistently shown that time off makes for healthier and happier workers. However, there are some companies that buy back unused time off at the end of the year which defeats the best reason for offering vacation time.

I bet these numbers are on the higher as far as averages go.

Most companies now combine sick/vacation days into a flat amount of PTO, which is considered part of your overall compensation. They are in addition to paid holidays, which typically vary from 7-14 holidays.

I think an average for someone working a tech/office job making $50k-$120k would be around 15-20 days PTO. Iíve seen as low as 10.

Those who have been with a company for 8+ years and make $150k+ often get 25-30+ days PTO.

This is just my experience working in STEM related fields, and also knowing what many of my friends and family make.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:13:43 PM permalink
Drich... seriously start using them. As am employer I really want my people to use their time. I give 15 days pto each year and 20 at year 5. Most people look forward to it and it makes people like work just a little more. If you dont want to use it for weeks then take long weekends. I have a girl in my office that scheduled a PTO day for every other Friday from april through September. She feels that her best use of it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
Ayecarumba
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:14:10 PM permalink

Then use them. Is there anyone who, at the end of their life, will look back and say, "I regret not spending more days at work"? Encourage Mrs. Rich to prioritize some time off with you too. It's good for her, and for you, to re-charge your batteries every year.

We do take a 10 day trip overseas every year we just worked it around two weekends so she only uses 5 or 6 days of her vacation. This years is already booked for May.
DRich
DRich
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:20:14 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Drich... seriously start using them. As am employer I really want my people to use their time. I give 15 days pto each year and 20 at year 5. Most people look forward to it and it makes people like work just a little more. If you dont want to use it for weeks then take long weekends. I have a girl in my office that scheduled a PTO day for every other Friday from april through September. She feels that her best use of it.

My point is what would I do if I took them off? I only work four days a week to begin with. I get a three day weekend every week. I would rather be at work than sit home bored. If my wife had more time off than we would definitely travel. I have done more than enough travel by myself in my life and that doesn't sound appealing to me any more.
GWAE
GWAE
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:22:58 PM permalink

My point is what would I do if I took them off? I only work four days a week to begin with. I get a three day weekend every week. I would rather be at work than sit home bored. If my wife had more time off than we would definitely travel. I have done more than enough travel by myself in my life and that doesn't sound appealing to me any more.

I believe you make good money? You shouldn't be sitting around bored. There is so much to do in life. Find a hobby that you enjoy and do it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:29:03 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I believe you make good money? You shouldn't be sitting around bored. There is so much to do in life. Find a hobby that you enjoy and do it.

My hobby is watching sports. I commit at least 3 to 5 hours per day to that. Unfortunately during the day is just repeats of sports that I have already seen. I was actually watching collegiate roller hockey the other day and I enjoyed it. I usually am home from work by 6pm and I watch sports until I go to bed. I have three college wrestling matches recorded to watch tonight.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:42:05 PM permalink

My hobby is watching sports. I commit at least 3 to 5 hours per day to that. Unfortunately during the day is just repeats of sports that I have already seen. I was actually watching collegiate roller hockey the other day and I enjoyed it. I usually am home from work by 6pm and I watch sports until I go to bed. I have three college wrestling matches recorded to watch tonight.

hehe.... would it encourage you to take more time off if I said, "It sounds like EvenBob has more hobbies than you."?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
GWAE
GWAE
Ayecarumba
February 3rd, 2020 at 2:46:19 PM permalink

hehe.... would it encourage you to take more time off if I said, "It sounds like EvenBob has more hobbies than you."?

You went there.. I almost did but didnt.

• Jump to: