Thread Rating:

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 264
  • Posts: 14313
February 2nd, 2020 at 4:24:12 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I think the most dangerous drivers are those listening to GPS instructions instead of keeping their eyes open.

Please don't misunderstand me as i am not at all opposed to gps. It is just that many drivers seem to hear "turn left" so they immediately change lanes without checking their blind spot. Or they try to immediately make a turn without realizing the GPS device is giving them a bit of a warning.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 99
  • Posts: 14157
February 2nd, 2020 at 10:14:51 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Iíve never driven during a time where GPS wasnít available.

I couldnít get anywhere outside of work and the grocery store without it.

Could maybe find my way around with a paper road atlas but Iíve never tried.



Wow. I suppose that's true of most people under 35 or so by now. Tripping. Dude. Lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 107
  • Posts: 6407
February 3rd, 2020 at 10:19:48 AM permalink
I love my life. I love my wife. We are on vacation in San Juan with another couple enjoying 83 and sunny day after day. Sitting at infinity pool overlooking the ocean.

Her daughters are getting a home cooked meal tonight..... at my ex wifeís! I love my life. Even if no one else can understand....
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 162
  • Posts: 9306
February 3rd, 2020 at 11:02:42 AM permalink
I would think PR would have some good vacation deals after all the turmoil.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 222
  • Posts: 5996
February 3rd, 2020 at 12:02:05 PM permalink
Based on personal observation over 40 years:

Odds of purchasing stale donuts:

Krispy Kreme: 000.00001%

Hortons Donuts: 000.00002%

Average Nationwide donut shops: 002.3334444%

Dunkin Donuts: 75.999999%
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 69
  • Posts: 5739
February 3rd, 2020 at 12:08:32 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Google maps has worked fine for me in NYC and Philadelphia.

I think if when the GPS signal is weak it can still triangulate you with a cell signal.



My understanding is that GPS requires line of sight to the sattelites and when surrounded by skyscrapers the unit can't receive the GPS radio signal.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 69
  • Posts: 5739
February 3rd, 2020 at 12:18:13 PM permalink
At your job do you get vacation time or PTO (paid time off)?

My company just switched from vacation time to PTO. How do they expect me to use 240 hours a year? I have probably taken 5 days of sick time in the eight years that I have been with them. I also usually take a one week vacation for an average of about 48 hours of off time per year.

Is there a required minimum they have to give? I just don't understand why it is so high. On my employment anniversary date they will take away 200 hours of PTO leaving 40 hours to be carried to the next year. I hate the idea of wasting the days and not using them, but I can't just sit home and do nothing as I would rather be at the office.

Obviously if my wife could get that much time off we would travel more, but that isn't an option with her position.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 107
  • Posts: 6407
Thanks for this post from:
Minty
February 3rd, 2020 at 12:36:45 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

At your job do you get vacation time or PTO (paid time off)?

My company just switched from vacation time to PTO. How do they expect me to use 240 hours a year? I have probably taken 5 days of sick time in the eight years that I have been with them. I also usually take a one week vacation for an average of about 48 hours of off time per year.

Is there a required minimum they have to give? I just don't understand why it is so high. On my employment anniversary date they will take away 200 hours of PTO leaving 40 hours to be carried to the next year. I hate the idea of wasting the days and not using them, but I can't just sit home and do nothing as I would rather be at the office.

Obviously if my wife could get that much time off we would travel more, but that isn't an option with her position.



I feel both happy and sad for you. Happy that you enjoy going to work. Sad that you have no interests that appeal to you more than work. It sounds like a person in your position with your seniority commands 6 weeks off. Probably an industry standard. Likely driven by market forces. The fact that you can only carry over a week is probably also an industry standard. I was allowed to carry over much more. I tried to use it all up save a week or two for an emergency.

I frankly do not understand anyone not using allotted vacation unless they were being specifically compensated extra for doing so.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 69
  • Posts: 5739
February 3rd, 2020 at 12:47:59 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I feel both happy and sad for you. Happy that you enjoy going to work. Sad that you have no interests that appeal to you more than work. It sounds like a person in your position with your seniority commands 6 weeks off. Probably an industry standard. Likely driven by market forces. The fact that you can only carry over a week is probably also an industry standard. I was allowed to carry over much more. I tried to use it all up save a week or two for an emergency.

I frankly do not understand anyone not using allotted vacation unless they were being specifically compensated extra for doing so.



I actually no longer enjoy going to work. I would just rather go to work than sit at home. I rarely watch any movies or television because I generally don't like them. That would leave me sitting home and surfing the internet and I already do too much of that. Obviously most of my friends would be at work at that time so I really wouldn't have anyone to hang out with. I would probably end up at a bar or casino drinking and gambling.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
  • Threads: 236
  • Posts: 6763
February 3rd, 2020 at 1:10:40 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I actually no longer enjoy going to work. I would just rather go to work than sit at home. I rarely watch any movies or television because I generally don't like them. That would leave me sitting home and surfing the internet and I already do too much of that. Obviously most of my friends would be at work at that time so I really wouldn't have anyone to hang out with. I would probably end up at a bar or casino drinking and gambling.



Typically, working Joes start at 12 sick days a year, 12 paid holidays and 10 vacation days. That's 34 working days or 272 hours. Is the PTO in addition to the paid holidays?

The 40 hour max carry over is to encourage folks to use their vacation. Studies have consistently shown that time off makes for healthier and happier workers. However, there are some companies that buy back unused time off at the end of the year which defeats the best reason for offering vacation time.

Edit: Consider exploring new hobbies, join a sports league, or do volunteer work like soup kitchen or Habitat for Humanity to burn up some of your off time in healthy activities. If worse comes to worse, inquire about donating your excess time to co-workers who may need it to cover medical disasters.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

  • Jump to: