Thread Rating:

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 13
January 22nd, 2020 at 3:32:56 PM permalink
There are a lot of internet sites where you answer questions about things you like and don't like and it spits out possibilities. Some are world-wide, others just the states.

Here is 10 in one:

https://www.bustle.com/p/10-personality-quizzes-about-where-to-live-that-are-actually-super-accurate-9082433

That said, I've tried a few and have not found much. But they tend to be oriented more for cities, (which make sense since that's where most people will be), and I want 40 acres in the middle of nowhere.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 22nd, 2020 at 4:18:22 PM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

That said, I've tried a few and have not found much.

That's the problem with those, IMO. The whole of a human's personality in 10 questions? Perhaps a good starting spot for someone to get to know their self, but it paints with far too wide a brush. I did it and the first one put me in Texas. I thought it couldn't get more laughable until I decided to try a different one, which put me in LA. As in Los Angeles.

Quote: DRich

All you can do is read read read. Then when you think you have a contender you must go and spend a week or two there and talk to real people.

Do you plan to work in Appalachia or have you saved enough of your Postal income to survive there?

Work, of course. That's part of what go me thinking. Used to be limited to "where gaming occurs". Now limitations are "must have zip code". Hard to believe there'll ever be a wider window than that, so it seems prudent to take a look.

Y'all sparked something though... what's that site (those sites) that are always a mess? They're like social media but for towns, always has people slaggin' each other off and all the neighborhood gossip with the town crazies? I used to be on one in my investigator days, but I'm pretty sure it died in favor of... the one I can't remember. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 69
January 22nd, 2020 at 4:23:53 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Y'all sparked something though... what's that site (those sites) that are always a mess? They're like social media but for towns, always has people slaggin' each other off and all the neighborhood gossip with the town crazies? I used to be on one in my investigator days, but I'm pretty sure it died in favor of... the one I can't remember. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This is one https://www.city-data.com/forum/

but there is another thatI can't think of right now. I believe it has SF in the name because I used to think it was for San Francisco..
Living longer does not always infer +EV
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 20
January 23rd, 2020 at 9:15:42 AM permalink
Just go to Youtube and search the place you're thinking about moving to. There'll be videos covering all sorts of topics.
DRich
DRich
Thanks for this post from:
Minty
January 23rd, 2020 at 9:56:49 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Just go to Youtube and search the place you're thinking about moving to. There'll be videos covering all sorts of topics.

I am guessing the places where Face is looking to move to are not covered on Youtube. Those people don't have computers and they think shoes are a new invention.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 160
January 23rd, 2020 at 10:38:53 AM permalink
i think there is best and worst list for everything. Pick the 10 most important things to you.

Then for instance, google 10 best states for fishing. Record top 5,
10 best states for guns. Record top 5.

Keep going until you”ve covered everything important. Then see which states match up most.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 23rd, 2020 at 12:55:59 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Keep going until you”ve covered everything important. Then see which states match up most.

Passed that part. Thanks tho

I am guessing the places where Face is looking to move to are not covered on Youtube. Those people don't have computers and they think shoes are a new invention.

Precisely. If it's big enough to get a review, it's too big. Does it have its own police department? Too big. Think Amish commune, but without all the hustle and bustle.

That's what makes this so hard. Like, it's "illegal" to ride a wheeler on the road in NYS. But here specifically, you do it whenever you want. I couldn't ride through town, but once on the other side I could ride the road 15mi to the lake shore and not even get a sideways glance. Do that in Hamburg just 30min away and you're going to jail. Do it in SC just 15min away and you're getting shot. As one who deeply values and oft engages in the practice, that's need-to-know info. But how in all hells would one find it?

It's these little things that give life value, and I've not a clue how to locate it. That site you offered is exactly what I'm talking about, but not the site I specifically had in mind. Mine was much more... narrow. Not state or even region, but down to the specific town itself. But your offering was a great start and exactly in the neighborhood of what I meant.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
January 23rd, 2020 at 5:30:11 PM permalink
Face,

Inland Florida is full of those little towns. It's upstate NY with alligators instead of snow.

And no income tax. And much cheaper property tax.

And you can learn to fly.

Just sayin'
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
January 23rd, 2020 at 7:24:48 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

And you can learn to fly.

Just sayin'

That is a reason I would like to live in Florida. So many small airports to fly into. I learned to fly in Nevada and it is terrible for that. There are so few airports in the Las Vegas area and nowhere to really just fly into close for lunch or dinner. I would own a Cessna if I lived in Florida.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 264
January 23rd, 2020 at 8:37:17 PM permalink

. I would own a Cessna if I lived in Florida.

may I recommend cri-cri? You don't get in it as much as wear it.
And there was one Florida girl who flew a kitfox for years. When she flew to Oshkosh for the annual fly-in, it was her very first landing at a controlled airport.

• Jump to: