Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 6th, 2017 at 2:39:20 AM permalink
I'm not saying 2.5 million dollars is not enough, and, yeah, you sort of assume if she was savvy to begin with she'll still be savvy.

I do say $1 million is not enough for early retirement for a couple unless that couple cuts expenses. The 4% rule of thumb leaves them with $40k to live on the first year and if they are used to living on $80-120k or more what happens?

BTW I can say the biggest achievement for a couple retiring on whatever amount, if that amount is available to cash out [is not an annuity or pension], is for both of them to realize the money needs to be there to generate income. Not to buy a big house, expensive cars, around-the-world cruises, or whatnot, unless that extra money is also there above and beyond the income need. One spouse or maybe both will probably not "get it" at first, the couple can be staring at what looks like a lot of money, and one spouse may never get it. Good luck.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 6th, 2017 at 2:50:22 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I'm thinking of going to China in a few years as long as the death penalty still goes for attacking white foreigners. I think it would be fun being a minority with privilege.

I'm sure it would be but eventually you wind up like the expats in Spain who have no nealth care or police services in those towns that used to be so cheap for people from the UK. Or you wind up with whimsical taxes and high property crime rates the way some of these retirement havens in South America have become. Its probably safer to retire to The Rust Belt in the USA.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 6th, 2017 at 3:25:07 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

You can retire now, just change your needs and norms or move out of the country to Asia or South America. I'm thinking of going to China in a few years as long as the death penalty still goes for attacking white foreigners. I think it would be fun being a minority with privilege.

Honestly, I can't think of a worse place to live than Asia.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 6th, 2017 at 4:26:21 AM permalink
I've always thought of "retiring" to be the first step in having no money problems, provided you live a very simple life and can survive off of instant ramen.

At least now you don't have to worry about bills, and if you want more you can "unretire" and take on new projects.

I never sat down with a financial advisor or anything but maybe I should and ask what's the minimum I need to retire, or at least be set for life with minimal things. Then from there I guess I'll keep making more money until I get bored or move on to something else. Making money is fun though, the more you have the more options you have and you can only do the stuff you really like, and turn down projects that aren't worth your time or very low fun factor.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
August 6th, 2017 at 9:33:55 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Honestly, I can't think of a worse place to live than Asia.

From all your terrible visits to Asia lol?
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 6th, 2017 at 9:59:52 AM permalink
Some (drunken) comments:

If you are going to be eating Ramen noodles you had better plan for some whopping medical bills.

If you are a wine lover, be advised: twenty percent of wines sold in China are counterfeit.

"terrible visits to Asia"..... despite PokerGrinder's very entertaining accounts of his adventures, there was one inescapable post wherein he said "The Whole Country Is A Sweat Box".
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
August 6th, 2017 at 10:12:35 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

"terrible visits to Asia"..... despite PokerGrinder's very entertaining accounts of his adventures, there was one inescapable post wherein he said "The Whole Country Is A Sweat Box".

Have you been? It is bloody hot there lol.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 6th, 2017 at 11:09:25 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Have you been? It is bloody hot there lol.

Heck no. How would a guy without even one nickle to rub ever be able to travel. And if I ever left the USA do you really think those dullards at the border would let me back in?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 6th, 2017 at 11:11:04 AM permalink
It all depends on how you define retirement. I consider myself retired but spend about 15 hours a week buying and selling stuff for and on the internet.
It's more of a hobby.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
August 6th, 2017 at 12:18:21 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It all depends on how you define retirement. I consider myself retired but spend about 15 hours a week buying and selling stuff for and on the internet.
It's more of a hobby.

I think that's the way to go, if you're fortunate enough to be able to make money at something like that.

Lots of retirees play poker too. They are extremely conservative and grind out a few bucks an hour and get their diamond cards and $1,000-$2,000 a year in comps.

I figure that is a big difference in quality of life compared to someone who just stops working. Might also help to keep you sane, especially if you're married.
RS
RS
August 6th, 2017 at 3:05:38 PM permalink

From all your terrible visits to Asia lol?

I just don't see the point of even visiting much of Asia. Russia might be cool, I'd consider going there. Israel as well. Unless there are countries in Asia I'm not thinking of....meh.

If I want Chinese food, I'll go to the Panda Express down the street. Before you knock Panda Express for "not being authentic", actual Chinese people on YouTube say it's pretty close to being authentic. Plus, it's healthy. :)
billryan
billryan
August 6th, 2017 at 3:12:47 PM permalink
I'm not sure I ever knew anyone who went to China for the food.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
August 6th, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM permalink
It is definitely a good thing for some WoV Forum members to STAY HOME. Similar to really doing something, going to actual places does not go well for everyone. Plus, it might cut into the time available for making up stuff, and imagining things. Depleting the vital stockpile of raw material for internet forum narrative construction.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RS
August 6th, 2017 at 5:57:22 PM permalink

I'm not sure I ever knew anyone who went to China for the food.

I just head over to Spring Mountain Road.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 6th, 2017 at 6:16:51 PM permalink

If I want Chinese food, I'll go to the Panda Express down the street. Before you knock Panda Express for "not being authentic", actual Chinese people on YouTube say it's pretty close to being authentic. Plus, it's healthy. :)

Really? Try having Chinese food in Richmond BC or any of the various Chinatowns in San Francisco or Toronto, and then come back and tell me it's like Panda Express.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 6th, 2017 at 6:18:18 PM permalink
I'd like to see China, Hong Kong, and Japan. I would also like to see Jerusalem, Dubai, and part of Thailand. Plus Korea. Maybe in a couple of years.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 6th, 2017 at 6:23:27 PM permalink
Boy was I confused today. Went to grocery store in maine and bought 8 pack of pepsi bottles. It was 3.48 plus .40 bottle deposit. I have read that on the siDE of bottles all my life but have never actually bought a pack.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
August 6th, 2017 at 6:45:52 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Really? Try having Chinese food in Richmond BC or any of the various Chinatowns in San Francisco or Toronto, and then come back and tell me it's like Panda Express.

Well the it being healthy part was a joke.

All I've heard is white people saying Panda Express is nowhere near being authentic. Then again, I've heard similar things from all sorts of people in California, claiming how authentic some Mexican restaurant is or how authentic some place's burritos are (hint: burritos are more American than they are Mexican).

So when actual Chinese people say Panda Express is pretty damn good and close to the real thing (real being authentic Chinese food), I'm going to take their word for it over a bunch of white people that've never been to Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI1R-zO9QzU

Granted, I'm not saying Panda Express is 100% super-mega authentic (they don't serve cook up cats for example). But I don't think it deserves the negative reviews people give it saying it's basically just American food and not authentic whatsoever.
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 6th, 2017 at 8:01:55 PM permalink

Granted, I'm not saying Panda Express is 100% super-mega authentic (they don't serve cook up cats for example). But I don't think it deserves the negative reviews people give it saying it's basically just American food and not authentic whatsoever.

Sigh. In the spirit of the long departed B9, I give you:

Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 6th, 2017 at 8:05:10 PM permalink
I think it's fairly healthy if you don't get fried stuff and get mixed veggies instead off noodlescor rice. Which I just learned you could do.
billryan
billryan
August 6th, 2017 at 8:08:13 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I think it's fairly healthy if you don't get fried stuff and get mixed veggies instead off noodlescor rice. Which I just learned you could do.

Weren't you complaining about franchise places sucking money from the local economy a few pages ago?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 6th, 2017 at 8:17:11 PM permalink
Yeah. Which of course is true. Which is one reason I avoid them.

But if super busy and super hungry ill take the best available option which, about twice a year, is panda express.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
August 6th, 2017 at 8:24:47 PM permalink
Once you put panda express in a one those plain white fish eggs/worm holder paper containers, add some chopsticks, no one will know the difference.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
August 7th, 2017 at 1:00:52 AM permalink

?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 7th, 2017 at 2:32:09 AM permalink
link to video of 13 year old little league player hitting home run estimated at 375 feet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/06/georgia-little-leaguer-crushes-grand-slam-into-the-trees/?utm_term=.a07b33ebdd62
Please don't feed the trolls
MaxPen
MaxPen
August 7th, 2017 at 3:33:59 AM permalink

?

High on DNC fumes.
GWAE
GWAE
August 7th, 2017 at 4:01:38 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to video of 13 year old little league player hitting home run estimated at 375 feet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/06/georgia-little-leaguer-crushes-grand-slam-into-the-trees/?utm_term=.a07b33ebdd62

The little league association has changed their rules for next season that kids have to use a wooden bat or an aluminum bat of a certain make only. There is currently a bat that is banned in our area because it is too powerful. However they are making these bats now are creating a huge sweet spot that is creating a crazy amount of home runs. There is a kid local that went 5 for 5 with 5 home runs a few weeks ago. There was also a game with 19 home runs. A buddy of mine who coaches said there are kids hitting 300 foot home runs that 5 years ago that same type of kid wouldnt hit any.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 7th, 2017 at 5:20:55 AM permalink
Well there are standards for ping pong paddles and there long ago should have been standards for baseball bats. Home run inflation? Oil on bowling lanes? I guess it serves the little brats right though....engaging in team sports.
GWAE
GWAE
August 7th, 2017 at 11:06:43 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Well there are standards for ping pong paddles and there long ago should have been standards for baseball bats. Home run inflation? Oil on bowling lanes? I guess it serves the little brats right though....engaging in team sports.

Yeah I have bowled for years. My newest bowling bowl was 259. I have held a 205 average for a while. Whenever I don't have my ball and bowl with a lane ball I am lucky to get a 170. I think equipment plays a huge part in most sports.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 7th, 2017 at 2:03:13 PM permalink

I love the cheap chicken fingers you can get at bars around Vegas as well as Jack in the Box and the old Burger King ones with that really good flavor.

buffalo wings with ranch dip. irresistible.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
August 7th, 2017 at 3:08:12 PM permalink
I like both Qdoba and Panda Express. Hope nobody has a stroke.
RS
RS
August 7th, 2017 at 5:24:33 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

I like both Qdoba...

Heretic!
billryan
billryan
August 7th, 2017 at 5:39:18 PM permalink
Place by me( Barleys) has a new burger, with peanut butter, bacon and soaked in shiraccha(sp) sauce.
I have not tried it, but its getting rave reviews in various magazines.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
August 7th, 2017 at 6:04:41 PM permalink
Speaking of terrible food, is there any worse regional cuisine in the US than Cincinnati chili?
Cinnamon in chili? What kind of Hoosier-tuckyan came up with that garbage?
billryan
billryan
August 7th, 2017 at 6:25:25 PM permalink
I've never had Skyline Chili, but once did an overnite in Cincinnati airport and got a good look at the various offerings. None of them sounded very good.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 7th, 2017 at 6:27:21 PM permalink

I've never had Skyline Chili, but once did an overnite in Cincinnati airport and got a good look at the various offerings. None of them sounded very good.

It's Ohio. There's nothing good!
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
August 7th, 2017 at 7:11:55 PM permalink

I had a 6-way in Cincinnati and I thought it tasted pretty good. I would definitely have it again.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 7th, 2017 at 7:26:14 PM permalink

I had a 6-way in Cincinnati and I thought it tasted pretty good. I would definitely have it again.

So for what kind of job application would you add that confession to your resume? A 3-way can be wild enough, whether you taste anything or not, but a 6-way??!??!!!

;-)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 7th, 2017 at 8:25:26 PM permalink

Ummm. What?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
August 7th, 2017 at 8:30:16 PM permalink

Cmon man, you are making Canada look bad.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
August 7th, 2017 at 8:31:35 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

It's Ohio. There's nothing good!

Main airport is in Kentucky, but that is a distinction without a difference. Only good thing across the border is cheating college basketball coaches.
MaxPen
MaxPen
August 7th, 2017 at 8:46:11 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Ummm. What?

He eats poutine most likely.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
August 7th, 2017 at 8:54:42 PM permalink
You all have your heads in the gutter lol.
A six way chili is : "6-way, which includes everything: chili, spaghetti, beans, onions, cheese and fried jalapeno caps."

P.S. I love poutines, don't talk ill of the poutine!
billryan
billryan
August 7th, 2017 at 9:06:11 PM permalink
I didn't think spaghetti and chili would work, but I like meat sauce so I took a chance and mixed a bowl of Checkers chili with some marinara sauce and it blended great.
MaxPen
MaxPen
August 7th, 2017 at 9:51:38 PM permalink

A six way chili is : "6-way, which includes everything: chili, spaghetti, beans, onions, cheese and fried jalapeno caps."

Next time your in town I will have to take you to 595 Craft and Kitchen for your expert analysis of their poutine. I believe it to be the best I have ever had. Never had it in Canada. Only thing I remember from my times in Canada is always being amazed how they could eff up eggs 3/4 of the time.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 7th, 2017 at 10:00:37 PM permalink

Sounds like stomach - lined -with - steel chili. Ugh.

Had my first poutine last week. They called it "Death by Gravy". It involved an open-faced rb sandwich, fries, with gravy and cheese curds over everything. Awesomely bad. I didn't eat the huge sandwich roll. I'm sure that was much healthier. Lol.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
August 8th, 2017 at 2:33:27 AM permalink

Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Aug 8, 2017
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 8th, 2017 at 3:22:22 AM permalink
give me 2 chili cheese dogs with onions and hot peppers please. i'll wash them down with a 32 ounce dr. pepper. you might survive to talk about it. i would have said "half smoke" but if you're not from around here you won't know what it is.

delicious breakfast at hardees - biscuit and gravy
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 8, 2017
GWAE
GWAE
August 8th, 2017 at 5:54:20 AM permalink

I didn't think spaghetti and chili would work, but I like meat sauce so I took a chance and mixed a bowl of Checkers chili with some marinara sauce and it blended great.

I make spaghetti sauce and chili often. They both start with the same tomato sauce base. Chili then gets beans and seasoning where spaghetti gets tomatoes and different seasoning.
boymimbo
boymimbo
August 8th, 2017 at 7:27:43 AM permalink

?

B9 used to put up facepalms whenever we didn't agree with his politics.

It is the reaction of the Chinese when another one says it's close to authentic Chinese food.
  • Jump to: