Thread Rating:

Gabes22
Gabes22
Joined: Jul 19, 2011
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 1367
June 15th, 2019 at 3:54:28 AM permalink
I do know at least here in Illinois that if a thief makes it out the front door with your merchandise, it is illegal for you as an employee to make any effort to stop them.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 262
  • Posts: 13915
June 15th, 2019 at 4:58:08 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

I do know at least here in Illinois that if a thief makes it out the front door with your merchandise, it is illegal for you as an employee to make any effort to stop them.

I think you mean any physical effort such as to detain or restrain them.
Gabes22
Gabes22
Joined: Jul 19, 2011
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 1367
June 15th, 2019 at 6:11:28 AM permalink
Yes but you are not allowed to chase either
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 3547
June 15th, 2019 at 8:12:44 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

If you can steal up to 900 dollars at a time, with no worry of penalty, if you have any gumption at all, they could be shoplifting 5 thousand per day. If you think about it intrinsically, only stupid people work for low wages. There is no penalty anymore for being a small time thief, as long as your conscience doesn't bother you, if you have one



This is a one way ticket to prison. I don't know where you're getting your logic from.

You steal <$900 of something once, you might get away with it. You do that on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis, you WILL be prosecuted eventually.
Gabes22
Gabes22
Joined: Jul 19, 2011
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 1367
June 15th, 2019 at 9:18:42 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

This is a one way ticket to prison. I don't know where you're getting your logic from.

You steal <$900 of something once, you might get away with it. You do that on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis, you WILL be prosecuted eventually.



Not sure about that. I have called the authorities multiple times on a relative who steals things to pawn them for drug money. They will not take him in unless I have video evidence of the theft
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 3547
June 15th, 2019 at 9:29:18 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Not sure about that. I have called the authorities multiple times on a relative who steals things to pawn them for drug money. They will not take him in unless I have video evidence of the theft



Well, someone shoplifting multiple times from retail establishments is going to have tons of hard video evidence to go against them.

I imagine it would be much harder to prosecute family members stealing things from each other.
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 76
  • Posts: 5247
June 15th, 2019 at 9:40:43 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Well, someone shoplifting multiple times from retail establishments is going to have tons of hard video evidence to go against them.


On the flip side
Your kid steals a 1 dollar barbie from the dollar store unknown to the parents
Phoenix cops will threaten to execute you and throw out multiple F bombs threatening immediate execution
Talk about over reacting

"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 3547
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
June 15th, 2019 at 9:51:02 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

On the flip side
Your kid steals a 1 dollar barbie from the dollar store unknown to the parents
Phoenix cops will threaten to execute you and throw out multiple F bombs threatening immediate execution
Talk about over reacting



Jesus, did those cops just do like an eight ball of coke before going on duty or something?? WTF

EDIT: The family is suing the city for $10 million. The cops released the full video on their Facebook page and are supposedly investigating the incident.

Parents said they had no idea their kid stole the doll and drove to an apartment complex where police, without lights or sirens, rolled up behind them and started banging on their car window with guns drawn and threatening to shoot them. The four year old daughter is having nightmares and wetting the bed, and the baby suffered some kind of arm injury from a cop yanking on it.

I'm sure the cops involved are going to enjoy their administrative leave during the investigation paid vacation before being back on duty by the end of the month.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 5881
June 15th, 2019 at 9:54:35 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

On the flip side
Your kid steals a 1 dollar barbie from the dollar store unknown to the parents
Phoenix cops will threaten to execute you and throw out multiple F bombs threatening immediate execution
Talk about over reacting



Yowza! Just a question for those in the know.... Is it acceptable police procedure to use those F bombs ever? Or is that alone enough to get the cop in hot water?

And you are not serious about the 'unknown to the parents' comment? Somehow it was magically known to the authorities and unknown to the parents? Or did they bring a previously bought barbie with a tag still on it like they have learned on the internet?

I assume the cops will be fired........
terapined
terapined
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
  • Threads: 76
  • Posts: 5247
June 15th, 2019 at 10:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: terapined

On the flip side
Your kid steals a 1 dollar barbie from the dollar store unknown to the parents
Phoenix cops will threaten to execute you and throw out multiple F bombs threatening immediate execution
Talk about over reacting



Yowza! Just a question for those in the know.... Is it acceptable police procedure to use those F bombs ever? Or is that alone enough to get the cop in hot water?

And you are not serious about the 'unknown to the parents' comment? Somehow it was magically known to the authorities and unknown to the parents? Or did they bring a previously bought barbie with a tag still on it like they have learned on the internet?

I assume the cops will be fired........



A cop entered the store on some other business after the family left. The store told the cop they saw a little child walk out with a Barbie.
The store never pressed charges
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

  • Jump to: