FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
April 29th, 2014 at 10:58:49 AM permalink
Okay, everyone is upset by the racist ravings of 80-year-old Donald Sterling. I don't think there is a single person --- at least that I know --- who defends his comments.

The NBA players are upset too. In fact, Magic Johnson said he would never attend a Clippers game as long as Sterling is the owner. That's fine.

But seriously, if the players on the Clippers refused to play and forfeited their games that would be some powerful comment on Sterling's position. Go further. What if all the players simply boycotted playing until Sterling sells the team?

I remember seeing documentaries of the Virginia coal miners who tried to get a union. They not only risked their money (what little they had) but also their lives. I think the basketball players should just shake their heads and say, "We don't play until he is gone."

Now that would be a hell of a statement.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
April 29th, 2014 at 11:03:37 AM permalink
Too much money at stake. Isn't there a news conference today where we'll learn the results of the investigation and the penalty imposed on him? My guess is suspension and that should calm the troubled waters for a while. Followed of course by his mea culpa which no one will believe

Doc Rivers has said this is his last year working for him. That's pretty big given $7 million and front office control.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
April 29th, 2014 at 11:05:31 AM permalink
Is this the same owner for all these years just doing the absolute minimum and riding the success of the other owners trying to win and build the league? It wouldn't surprise me if It's just a tactic to sell the team above worth.
I am a robot.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
April 29th, 2014 at 11:21:20 AM permalink
Sponsors are bailing out. He has been banned for life and fined $2.5 million. Chump change. Don't know if they can legally force a sale.
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
  • Threads: 14
April 29th, 2014 at 11:29:51 AM permalink
The Bucks just sold for $550 Million, so the Clippers have to be worth AT LEAST $750 Million, probably $1 Billion. If he had been a better owner the team would be worth even more maybe $1.2 to $1.5 Billion.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
April 29th, 2014 at 11:36:26 AM permalink
Any time I see Adam Silver, it reminds me of the movie Nosferatu.
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
April 29th, 2014 at 1:57:47 PM permalink
Oh, and just as an aside, I'm not sure I'd want a girlfriend who tape recorded me and made such tapes public.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 29th, 2014 at 2:33:22 PM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

Oh, and just as an aside, I'm not sure I'd want a girlfriend who tape recorded me and made such tapes public.

I know the wife would get quite upset.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 29th, 2014 at 2:36:05 PM permalink
I'm having trouble figuring out how something that happened in his personal life (phone call w/ GF) can result in him being banned, fined $2.5 million, and forced to sell the team.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 29th, 2014 at 2:40:43 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I'm having trouble figuring out how something that happened in his personal life (phone call w/ GF) can result in him being banned, fined $2.5 million, and forced to sell the team.

Simple, he owns a franchise and has agreed to abide by their rules and bylaws.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
April 29th, 2014 at 2:44:23 PM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

Don't piss off the mistress. Maybe that lady could get prosecuted under some illegal wiretapping law, but she might still think it was worth it.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
April 29th, 2014 at 2:46:51 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Don't piss off the mistress. Maybe that lady could get prosecuted under some illegal wiretapping law, but she might still think it was worth it.

My understanding is that in some states, both parties must agree for a conversation to be recorded, and, in others, only one party needs to agree.
RS
RS
April 29th, 2014 at 2:55:20 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

My understanding is that in some states, both parties must agree for a conversation to be recorded, and, in others, only one party needs to agree.

That's correct. I believe in most states only 1 party needs to agree.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 29th, 2014 at 3:02:26 PM permalink

That's correct. I believe in most states only 1 party needs to agree.

That is correct but this happened in California and they require both parties consent.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
April 29th, 2014 at 3:06:59 PM permalink
I await the retroactive ban of Jay-Z for his casual use of the "N"word during his tenure as a Nets owner (he sold his interest in the team since — and since, he has worn a Five Percenters medallion to Nets games — so, what is the over/under on whether Jay-Z has any anti-white leanings in his private life…?)
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
April 29th, 2014 at 3:12:13 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

I await the retroactive ban of Jay-Z for his casual use of the "N"word during his tenure as a Nets owner (he sold his interest in the team since — and since, he has worn a Five Percenters medallion to Nets games — so, what is the over/under on whether Jay-Z has any anti-white leanings in his private life…?)

It's a hard knock life out in Marcy projects.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
April 29th, 2014 at 3:17:03 PM permalink
If this is true, I don't think he will be missed much. He pretty much is a success at being an a*****

Quote:

Sporting News described Sterling as "one of the worst owners in basketball for decades",[14] while The New York Times and Forbes have called him the "worst owner" in sports.[15][16] ESPN The Magazine in 2009 named the Clippers the worst franchise in professional sports.[16][17] Since purchasing the Clippers in 1981, Sterling's ownership oversaw the worst winning percentage through 2013–14 of the four major American sports leagues.[18] In 1981, he refused to pay the $1,000 prize to a local lawyer who won a free throw contest until the contestant filed a lawsuit.[5][19] The Clippers in 2004 declined to pay for assistant coach Kim Hughes' surgery for prostate cancer; instead four Clippers players contributed to cover the $70,000 cost.[15][20] Uncharacteristic for an owner, Sterling in 2010 heckled players on his own team—with Baron Davis receiving the harshest treatment—while the owner sat courtside during home games.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sterling

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 29th, 2014 at 3:53:54 PM permalink

It's called a scandal. We know about it, so it's no longer a private conversation. Tough luck for him not being able to rant racially and privately to his mullato girlfriend. A case against her again, doesn't change reality as we know it. He brings the whole league down and has to be taken care of, no matter how hard or easy it will be. I don't have much doubt the players would have striked at some point.
I am a robot.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
April 29th, 2014 at 3:54:38 PM permalink
The NAACP angle is interesting. They're willing to forgive as long as he's willing to continue to write checks. Maybe a lifetime achievement award is in his future. A major score for the civil rights industry. THE NAACP IS FOR SALE.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 29th, 2014 at 3:58:36 PM permalink

JZ is black. Its not unusual for black people to use the N word. Its really a complicated issue among the black culture.
In fact its probably spoken a lot between black NBA players.
That said, I know very little about JZ because I have no interest in rap music.
I did see that video of him and his crew taking the subway to Brooklyn where he was the headling act.
Instead of a limo caravan, he takes the subway. I'm a bicycle commuter, JZ seems to be my kind of guy.
It was a pretty neat video of him and a old white lady.
The old white lady did not recognize him and they had a nice conversation.
That's about my total knowledge on JZ.
Watching that video, I did not get the feeling Jay z was anti white, just the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXfqRM-53Tk
JAY Z anti white????????????????????????? Where does this come from?
Are there any stories out there or are you trying to start a rumor aceofspades.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
April 29th, 2014 at 4:04:18 PM permalink

Did Jay-Z hurt the bottom line? Because Donald Sterling did. Jay-Z may use a word directed at people like him, but did he ask people not to bring whites to games? Did he expressly alienate part of his fan base? Did he cause sponsors to pull out en masse?

Everyone knew Donald Sterling was a racist. For that matter, other people have been racist and owned teams. But in this case, Sterling stepped over the line. When Marge Schott stepped over the line, she was pushed out. Same with Sterling.

Besides, Sterling going away is long overdue because he's a terrible owner from a basketball standpoint. A good owner can handle both the bottom line and the product fans can see.
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 29th, 2014 at 4:10:01 PM permalink
Here we go — NY Knicks exec and former player Larry Johnson calls for an
"All Black" basketball league…

Didn't Jackie Robinson go through a lot to change this type of thinking…
terapined
terapined
April 29th, 2014 at 4:31:55 PM permalink

Larry Johnson is a clown. Why even listen to clowns such as Bundy and Larry Johnson.
Do you seriously consider anything Larry Johnson says is important. He's a clown. Bundy is a clown.
Who is is listening to Larry Johnson, Breibart ???? right wing. Of course, I don't listen to Bundy or Johnson, they are clowns, but Breibart, all ears. lol

Breibart, they listen to all the clowns. lol

Curious, why so anti Jay Z?
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 29th, 2014 at 4:35:56 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Larry Johnson is a clown. Why even listen to clowns such as Bundy and Larry Johnson.
Do you seriously consider anything Larry Johnson says is important. He's a clown. Bundy is a clown.
Who is is listening to Larry Johnson, Breibart ???? right wing. Of course, I don't listen to Bundy or Johnson, they are clowns, but Breibart, all ears. lol

Not anti-Jay-Z per se - just pointing out the media bias
terapined
terapined
April 29th, 2014 at 4:43:23 PM permalink

Wow, the media is biased. Who knew.
The media has been biased for the last gazillion years. The media will continue to be biased for the next gazillion years.
Get used to it.
That's why I cant stand FOXnews and MSNBC. Obviously biased.
Fair and balanced? If you believe that, got bridge for sale in Brooklyn Ace, interested? lol
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 29th, 2014 at 4:45:04 PM permalink

The media has been biased for the last gazillion years. The media will continue to be biased for the next gazillion years.
Get used to it.
Fair and balanced? If you believe that, got bridge for sale in Brooklyn Ace, interested? lol

Uhmmmm when did I ever state I did not think the media was biased? I hope you are merely being sarcastic here and not seriously being condescending….
terapined
terapined
April 29th, 2014 at 4:55:35 PM permalink

Get used to it.

Uhmmmm when did I ever state I did not think the media was biased? I hope you are merely being sarcastic here and not seriously being condescending….

Ok, lets get this back on track.
hwccdealer post was right on the money.
Sponsors are bailing. This is about money and making a business decision.
Did tons of sponsors bail due to Larry Johnson being a clown. Don't think so.
Why do you think Larry Johnson is so important? Why does Breibart think Larry Johnson is important.
He's a clown, I don't listen to him. So the media is biased because Breibart listens to clowns and the regular media does not.
Maybe its Breibart that's biased, giving voice to clowns nobody wants to hear from.
Lots of clowns out there, You don't have to listen to them.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
April 29th, 2014 at 5:05:28 PM permalink
Also the NBA has a secret constitution they presumably used to oust him.
I am a robot.
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 29th, 2014 at 5:07:28 PM permalink

Get used to it.

Why do you think Larry Johnson is so important? Why does Breibart think Larry Johnson is important.
He's a clown, I don't listen to him. So the media is biased because Breibart listens to clowns and the regular media does not.
Maybe its Breibart that's biased, giving voice to clowns nobody wants to hear from.

Uhmmmmm Breitbart was the first link that I saw for the story - do you want me to post the million other links from all points of view…?
terapined
terapined
April 29th, 2014 at 5:20:36 PM permalink

Get used to it.

Uhmmmmm Breitbart was the first link that I saw for the story - do you want me to post the million other links from all points of view…?

That's fascinating. I'm a huge NBA fan and am following this story.
Out of all the stories I have read, not a single one mentioned Larry Johnson.

When searching , I generally go to Google News section.
I'm really curious, where do you go? That's really fascinating that the 1st link was all about Larry Johnson and not the current story itself.
Are you using an incredibly weird search engine. Every story I read has zero mention of Larry Johnson.
What term did you use for your search?
I want to check this out for myself. What search engine and what term was typed?
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 29th, 2014 at 5:22:00 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Apparently both did agree. Don asked her to record their conversations because "sometimes he forgets what he was saying". Not sure how true this is but, I read it in some rag so you had better take it with a pinch :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
April 29th, 2014 at 5:55:19 PM permalink
On the flip-side I have heard that the conv. was not admissable in court. I have no problem with that. This is a business decision, at surface, and the Commish heaved a large heavy book at Sterling. Basically asking the other owners to toss him and sell the franchise above all fines/penalties. If Sterling wants to sue, let'em loose. Everybody involved has a few million to spare.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
aceofspades
aceofspades
April 29th, 2014 at 6:00:45 PM permalink

Get used to it.

That's fascinating. I'm a huge NBA fan and am following this story.
Out of all the stories I have read, not a single one mentioned Larry Johnson.

When searching , I generally go to Google News section.
I'm really curious, where do you go? That's really fascinating that the 1st link was all about Larry Johnson and not the current story itself.
Are you using an incredibly weird search engine. Every story I read has zero mention of Larry Johnson.
What term did you use for your search?
I want to check this out for myself. What search engine and what term was typed?

I shall not engage in this conversation. Goodbye
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
April 29th, 2014 at 6:01:48 PM permalink
This dude is 80 years old. All 80 year old white guys are racist's.

They grew up in a different era.

C'mon people, wise up!!!
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
April 29th, 2014 at 6:04:09 PM permalink
What do we think of the girlfriend?
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
April 29th, 2014 at 6:07:31 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

What do we think of the girlfriend?

NO doubt she is a bottom feeder.

She prob gives good head though...
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
April 29th, 2014 at 6:15:51 PM permalink
So many valid issues to be discussed in this case, but once race is involved all other issues get forgotten. And if you try to talk about rights and other issues in this case without taking a side, you are considered inconsiderate or worse. And there are other issues in this case that merit discussion.
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
April 29th, 2014 at 6:17:59 PM permalink
The most obvious irony is the fact that the girlfriend is half black half Mexican. Sterling shouldn't want to be seen with her at all.

What a crazy double standard. You're willing to pay black players millions of dollars in hopes of winning and there by increasing your net worth but you don't want to associate with them or have your girlfriend to be seen in public with them. Not much different than the days of slavery. Hopefully he sells and the NBA can put this mess behind them.
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
April 29th, 2014 at 6:29:33 PM permalink
Quote: HowMany

This dude is 80 years old. All 80 year old white guys are racist's.

They grew up in a different era.

C'mon people, wise up!!!

The cat ain't White, he's jewish, hey hey!
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 29th, 2014 at 6:37:20 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
April 29th, 2014 at 7:06:07 PM permalink
Wasn't going to weigh in, but what the hell. The guys not only a racist, but he made his first millions as a slumlord. To use the quote from the Hangover, "he's just a bad person, all the way through to his core". He has now parlayed this into close to a billion by owning an NBA team. I don't fault him for the later, but the NBA, which 'vets' its owners as all major league sports teams now do, must have known about him. It's insulting for them to act surprised.

Ok, again, obviously through this incident as well as other incidents, the guys a big time racist. So are millions of other people. There isn't a crime against being a racist that I am aware of. He hasn't done anything illegal. So, who is the NBA commissioner and/or other owners, to take away his property? I am not sure that is going to fly in court and it will get to court. The man's a lawyer for god sakes.

The way this should play out is through the free marketplace system. If people (fans) are offended, they don't buy tickets and or merchandise.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
April 29th, 2014 at 7:14:41 PM permalink
Yep, we're now taking property because we find the owners language offensive. Naturally, if the offender voluntarily transfers the right amount of property to the right parties, all will be forgiven.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
April 30th, 2014 at 1:27:59 AM permalink
I'm surprised there is no such thing as racist rehab. He could just enter the racist rehab come out and be celebrated like all the stars do. If i was his PR person this is what I would suggest doing. Then I would have him blame it on his parents and his upbringing. Donate money to the the education of racism.

Racist Rehab for the stars sounds like a good business plan.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 30th, 2014 at 1:37:02 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I'm surprised there is no such thing as racist rehab. He could just enter the racist rehab come out and be celebrated like all the stars do. If i was his PR person this is what I would suggest doing. Then I would have him blame it on his parents and his upbringing. Donate money to the the education of racism.

Racist Rehab for the stars sounds like a good business plan.

Now you have the plot for our latest reality TV show....I mean if the Kardashians can be famous, why not this show? :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
RS
RS
April 30th, 2014 at 3:48:38 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Ok, again, obviously through this incident as well as other incidents, the guys a big time racist. So are millions of other people. There isn't a crime against being a racist that I am aware of. He hasn't done anything illegal. So, who is the NBA commissioner and/or other owners, to take away his property? I am not sure that is going to fly in court and it will get to court. The man's a lawyer for god sakes.

Thank you!
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
April 30th, 2014 at 3:59:28 AM permalink
Makes me wonder that if another owner was caught in a private conversation that he didn't want LGBT's at his games, would he receive the same type of punishment?
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
April 30th, 2014 at 4:01:59 AM permalink
Below is where I got the Larry Johnson stuff.

https://news.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0LEV13n1mBT5yEAXgtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBxdWoxaW12BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAzIzMF8x?p=larry+johnson+nba&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-230-s&fr2=newsdd

EX-BASKETBALL PLAYER LARRY JOHNSON WANTS AN ALL-BLACK LEAGUE

Another stupid idea. It is as stupid as thinking diversity is based on skin color and not on ideas. If everyone thinks alike but are of different colors they are the same as far as I am concerned. My many-colored-nationality friends think as I do (mostly) so I see us as different peas in the same pod.

The owners of the teams are all white (I think) and so what? They obviously are not fans of Sterling or they wouldn't ban him. They could have all stood with Sterling and said "These are our teams and we'll say what we want. If you don't want to play for us---form a black league."

This is not a free speech issue either. There is an NBA association with bylaws and Sterling violated those bylaws. He can think and feel and say what he wants (if he isn't taped) but if he becomes a public spectacle the "league" can nail him as it is now doing. Don't forget George Steinbrenner of the Yankees was suspended twice if I recall correctly.

I'm glad he is out but I think the rhetoric should now cool. Larry Johnson is free to have his all-black league if he wants...but I have a white friend named Jack Robinson who might want in.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 30th, 2014 at 4:02:19 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The way this should play out is through the free marketplace system. If people (fans) are offended, they don't buy tickets and or merchandise.

If his business was not part of a larger organization--the NBA--no one should be able to "force" him to sell the business. If the NBA has any decent Constitution or Bylaws, they will have something in them defining things that are unacceptable for owners and that would justify them being forced out of the league. It seems better for all concerned (current owner, players, fans, NBA, etc.), no matter what the "rules" are exactly, to try to force the sale rather than to drop the team as a member of the NBA. Either one would work--what would the Clippers be if they were NOT part of the NBA suddenly?

This could all end up in court but I think this is a situation where putting the team on the market and getting a decent price for it is the best outcome the owner can expect at this point. He and the NBA both have deep enough pockets to paper the courts for years, so it could go that way, too.

As a person, he can say pretty much whatever he wants. As a business owner, he has to follow the law...something he obviously had a problem with in the past regarding discrimination...and people can choose to buy or not buy his product or service. As a member of an organization that exists to make his individual business (and the collective entity) more profitable, he has to live within a set of rules he might not necessarily set for himself.
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
April 30th, 2014 at 4:53:00 AM permalink
What we get in the headlines is he was guilty in the past of wanting an all Korean apartment complex, excluding blacks and Mexicans and I guess non-Asian Americans. Obviously the Korean community was working with him.

We don't know, at least I don't, if that conversation was on the phone or a live conversation recorded on her phone, or what. But what I did notice was he said "black" and didn't say the "n" word. I think she was his ex girlfriend at the time and he was just asking her not to bring her "black" boyfriends to the games. It really doesn' come across as racist as much as a guy who didn't want to be shown up at his own teams games by his ex girlfriend. In his circle, whatever that means, I'm sure some of the guys would have a laugh at such antics by the ex girlfriend.
  • Jump to: