mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
March 27th, 2014 at 7:14:52 AM permalink
If you tell me you are a descendent of William the Conqueror I'm gonna laugh. 80% of the British people are descendents of William the Conqueror. I said interesting, so your ancestor(s) don't have to be famous. But famous....and interesting is a good combination. I'll go first. I'm a first cousin 6X removed of William Clark of the Lewis & Clark expedition and Gen. George Rogers Clark, the Conqueror of the Northwest. I discovered this after moving to Montana. Lewis and Clark discovered Montana.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 27th, 2014 at 7:47:01 AM permalink
The Kennedy family. Okay let me have it. :-)
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 27th, 2014 at 7:49:37 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

The Kennedy family. Okay let me have it. :-)

Is that the Boston Kennedys or the Chippewa Falls Kennedys? Actually, John Kennedy is still my favorite president, behind Thomas Jefferson.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 27th, 2014 at 7:58:21 AM permalink
This isn't known for sure, but based on informal genealogy family tree drawings, I'm an ancestor descendant of one of Abraham Lincoln's grandparents. To be specific, Lincoln was a seventh cousin, five times removed.

Lots of connections to the early Mormon church too. Plenty of relatives from their early settlement in Nauvoo, IL. One my direct ancestors died trying to deliver a message to Joseph Smith.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
1BB
1BB
March 27th, 2014 at 7:58:59 AM permalink
Boston/Hyannisport. Joe, Rose, Jack, Bobby, Teddy and the clan.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 27th, 2014 at 8:03:15 AM permalink

Boston/Hyannisport. Joe, Rose, Jack, Bobby, Teddy and the clan.

Aw shucks, I thought it was the Chippewa Falls Kennedys.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 27th, 2014 at 8:03:50 AM permalink
I have a great uncle who was a hero at the battle of Vicksburg.

My father documented our family's history very meticulously, but his deep research ends in the early 1700s when Ludvig and Johann arrived in the new world. Records in Europe were destroyed in fire bombing during WW2. We have some sketchy church records from the 1600s, but that is all.

My grandmother had a lot of artsy fartsy stuff, some of it quite valuable. The story was that her uncle George Tate (1800s) was the cousin of Sir Henry Tate, of the Tate Gallery in London. It turns out that he was a customs inspector for the Port of New York. You can guess where the artsy fartsy stuff came from.
A falling knife has no handle.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 27th, 2014 at 8:09:56 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

My father documented our family's history very meticulously, but his deep research ends in the early 1700s when Ludvig and Johann arrived in the new world. Records in Europe were destroyed in fire bombing during WW2. We have some sketchy church records from the 1600s, but that is all.

My grandmother had a lot of artsy fartsy stuff, some of it quite valuable. The story was that her uncle George Tate (1800s) was the cousin of Sir Henry Tate, of the Tate Gallery in London. It turns out that he was a customs inspector for the Port of New York. You can guess where the artsy fartsy stuff came from.

Sounds like Ludvig and Johann were part of the Palatine Movement. I have ancestors from that movement too. From 1710 to 1775 over 100,000 Germans and German speaking Swiss migrated to the American Colonies. They were poor Germans mostly from the Palatinate in the very south of Germany, and from Bern in Northern Switzerland. The English Crown offered them free land, free provisions for one year, and tax exempt status for ten years to get them to make a very dangerous voyage across the Atlantic. This was the first great German migration to America and plays a big roll in why so many Americans have German surnames.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 27th, 2014 at 8:12:39 AM permalink

Ludvig and Johann probably arrived at Philadelphia. If I wanted to I could probably find the name of the ship they came over on and the date they arrived.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 27th, 2014 at 8:16:07 AM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

If you tell me you are a descendent of William the Conqueror I'm gonna laugh. 80% of the British people are descendents of William the Conqueror.

Many scientists feel the exact number is probably closer to 99.999% if you trace all the illegitimate lines. Probably well over 80% of everyone of European descent has William the Conqueror as an ancestor.

A good rule of thumb
If you are descended from a medieval king, then you are British.
If you are descended from a Tudor without being descended from a Stuart you are relatively unusual
If you are descended from a Stuart monarch you are probably upper class (or your family once was)
If you are descended from a Hanoverian monarch you are in line for the throne.
If you are descended from Queen Victoria then there are less than 1000 of your kind.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
March 27th, 2014 at 8:20:39 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Many scientists feel the exact number is probably closer to 99.999% if you trace all the illegitimate lines. Probably well over 80% of everyone of European descent has William the Conqueror as an ancestor.

A good rule of thumb
If you are descended from a medieval king, then you are British.
If you are descended from a Tudor without being descended from a Stuart you are relatively unusual
If you are descended from a Stuart monarch you are probably upper class (or your family once was)
If you are descended from a Hanoverian monarch you are in line for the throne.
If you are descended from Queen Victoria then there are less than 1000 of your kind.

That would mean I'm related to practically everyone one on this board. Hey, cousins! How ya'll doin'. I'm the redneck in the family.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
March 27th, 2014 at 8:26:22 AM permalink

Aw shucks, I thought it was the Chippewa Falls Kennedys.

Nope, the Chappaquiddick clan. Sorry, 1BB, can't give you a get-out-of-jail-free on this revelation :P
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 27th, 2014 at 8:35:50 AM permalink
I can trace my ancestry back billions of years to pre-organic molecules.

But so can everyone else.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 27th, 2014 at 8:41:33 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I can trace my ancestry back billions of years to pre-organic molecules.

I wouldn't rule out the idea that we're descended from aliens. Didn't you see Prometheus yet?
1BB
1BB
March 27th, 2014 at 8:46:42 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

Nope, the Chappaquiddick clan. Sorry, 1BB, can't give you a get-out-of-jail-free on this revelation :P

Come on, you Rhode Islanders didn't appreciate all the hard work that cousin Patrick did for you? :-)

Be glad Teddy Jr. doesn't live in your state. He's considering a run for senate here in Connecticut having lived in Branford for many years.

Oh yeah, Michael Skakel is out of jail.

You can't choose your relatives. My father would have taken a bullet for these people while my mother loathed every last one of them. I don't see any of them that often and am not really in touch. My wife and I did attend a Celtics game with Joe a couple of years ago.
chickenman
chickenman
March 27th, 2014 at 8:52:56 AM permalink

Come on, you Rhode Islanders didn't appreciate all the hard work that cousin Patrick did for you? :-)

Be glad Teddy Jr. doesn't live in your state. He's considering a run for senate here in Connecticut having lived in Branford for many years.

Oh yeah, Michael Skakel is out of jail.

You can't choose your relatives. My father would have taken a bullet for these people while my mother loathed every last one of them. I don't see any of them that often and am not really in touch. My wife and I did attend a Celtics game with Joe a couple of years ago.

I celebrate the fact that Teddy Jr doesn't live here every waking moment, we have enough sleazy politicians thank you ;-)
Given you are your mother's son, then you get a lifetime of slack...
Play any golf with Michael lately? :-(
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 27th, 2014 at 9:04:29 AM permalink

If you tell me you are a descendent of William the Conqueror I'm gonna laugh. 80% of the British people are descendents of William the Conqueror.

Trivia: Who has more decendants than he did?

Quote:

Lewis and Clark discovered Montana.

I am so glad they did, the trip from N Dakota to Washington State was so much longer before that! lol
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
1BB
1BB
March 27th, 2014 at 9:09:34 AM permalink
Quote: chickenman

I celebrate the fact that Teddy Jr doesn't live here every waking moment, we have enough sleazy politicians thank you ;-)
Given you are your mother's son, then you get a lifetime of slack...
Play any golf with Michael lately? :-(

Go ahead and explain the golf comment to the good folks here. I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type. :-)
chickenman
chickenman
March 27th, 2014 at 9:11:04 AM permalink
Let 'em Bing it :-)
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
March 27th, 2014 at 9:20:27 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Trivia: Who has more decendants than he did?

Gangus Kahn?

When he conquered someone, he killed all the young men and systematically impregnated all the women so that they would have decendents that needed his support. This made it possible to maintain control over all the places he conquered without having to fight uprisings and rebellions.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 27th, 2014 at 9:59:31 AM permalink
Quote: skrbornevrymin

Gangus Kahn?

When he conquered someone, he killed all the young men and systematically impregnated all the women so that they would have decendents that needed his support. This made it possible to maintain control over all the places he conquered without having to fight uprisings and rebellions.

No, "his parents."
Mosca
Mosca
March 27th, 2014 at 10:05:23 AM permalink

Sounds like Ludvig and Johann were part of the Palatine Movement. I have ancestors from that movement too. From 1710 to 1775 over 100,000 Germans and German speaking Swiss migrated to the American Colonies. They were poor Germans mostly from the Palatinate in the very south of Germany, and from Bern in Northern Switzerland. The English Crown offered them free land, free provisions for one year, and tax exempt status for ten years to get them to make a very dangerous voyage across the Atlantic. This was the first great German migration to America and plays a big roll in why so many Americans have German surnames.

Ludvig and Johann probably arrived at Philadelphia. If I wanted to I could probably find the name of the ship they came over on and the date they arrived.

Yep. They first settled in Chester, then moved to western Pennsylvania. The name is Swiss/German. My father has the records, including the name of the ship. From the brothers forward we have the records of pretty much everyone with the surname and variations. Same with my dad's mother. My father's mother was Welsh, but claimed she was Irish. Once we figured out she was Welsh it became easier.

On my mother's side, her father was born in Lithuania. Her mother was Croatian, but born in the US to parents who never spoke English. In addition to English she spoke Croatian, Slovak, some Hungarian, and some Russian. Records in Lithuania are sparse, and my grandfather's family might have falsified their name upon arrival in America. We have a framed photograph of his father in a cavalry uniform that had been taken in Europe. All we know is that my grandfather hated his father, called him a cruel man and wouldn't speak of him. My grandfather was no peach himself, a vain, jealous, spiteful man, a con man without the courage to pull of the con.
Mosca
Mosca
March 27th, 2014 at 10:07:21 AM permalink

Go ahead and explain the golf comment to the good folks here. I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type. :-)

Easy Skakel. Supposedly killed Moxley with a golf club.
chickenman
chickenman
March 27th, 2014 at 10:09:00 AM permalink

Easy Skakel. Supposedly killed Moxley with a golf club.

Bingo!
1BB
1BB
March 27th, 2014 at 10:12:14 AM permalink
Yes, his caddy told him to hit a knockdown shot with a six iron.
skrbornevrymin
skrbornevrymin
  • Threads: 1
March 27th, 2014 at 10:27:54 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

No, "his parents."

You got me on that one. I guess it was just too early in the morning for the obvious.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 27th, 2014 at 10:34:55 AM permalink
Quote: skrbornevrymin

You got me on that one. I guess it was just too early in the morning for the obvious.

I was got when I heard it on a podcast. Remember it, should be good enough to win a few drinks over the course of a lifetime.
geoff
geoff
March 27th, 2014 at 10:37:06 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This isn't known for sure, but based on informal genealogy family tree drawings, I'm an ancestor of one of Abraham Lincoln's grandparents. To be specific, Lincoln was a seventh cousin, five times removed.

Lots of connections to the early Mormon church too. Plenty of relatives from their early settlement in Nauvoo, IL. One my direct ancestors died trying to deliver a message to Joseph Smith.

I think the real question here is how long have you been a time traveler/immortal to be an ancestor of Abraham Lincoln.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 27th, 2014 at 10:41:00 AM permalink
Quote: geoff

I think the real question here is how long have you been a time traveler/immortal to be an ancestor of Abraham Lincoln.

Oops. Now you know where he got his big nose from.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
March 27th, 2014 at 1:06:53 PM permalink
Genghis Khan

But then again I heard 1% of the world's population is related to him somehow.

Also there was a Japanese myth that Genghis Khan was a Japanese traveler who ended up in Mongolia and wanted to start his own country.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Nareed
Nareed
March 27th, 2014 at 6:12:35 PM permalink

I wouldn't rule out the idea that we're descended from aliens. Didn't you see Prometheus yet?

No evidence, and I haven't seen Prometheus.

There is a serious hypothesis called Panspermia which states organic molecules travel from world world in meteorites, on gas and dust clouds, and perhaps some other ways. Gas and dust clouds are real enough and stars pass through them. As far as I know there are zero examples of a documented extra-solar meteorite.

If it's true, then solving the riddle of how life arises will be that much harder and take much, much, much longer. On the order of at least centuries longer, if not millenia.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
March 27th, 2014 at 6:18:57 PM permalink
my great great grandfather discovered gold near carson city nev in the 1860's.....he sent his wife and two daughters back to england to be educated....he took his fortune to california where he promtly lost it all and then blew his brains out.
When I was very little my aunt said i was just like him.
get second you pig
soxfan
soxfan
  • Threads: 9
March 27th, 2014 at 6:22:26 PM permalink
On my pop's side of the family I had ancestors who fought under William Wallace, and Robert the Bruce in the Scottish wars of liberation against the English. And on my mom's side of the family, I had ancestors who fought in the Legions of Sparta. Just watch the movies 300, and Braveheart and you'll get the idea, hey hey.
" Life is a well of joy; but where the rabble drinks too, all wells are poisoned!" Nietzsche
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
March 27th, 2014 at 7:03:17 PM permalink
Great-grandfather was one of the Rough Riders.
Nothing spectacular to those unfamiliar with that chapter in American history, but interesting enough for me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
March 27th, 2014 at 7:11:01 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I haven't seen Prometheus.

You should.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 27th, 2014 at 7:15:27 PM permalink
Clark Gable, or is that too recent?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
March 27th, 2014 at 7:46:29 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Clark Gable, or is that too recent?

IMO: no, but I'm young enough that Clark Gable seems ancient. If you don't mind the pry, how close?
Nareed
Nareed
March 27th, 2014 at 8:02:43 PM permalink

You should.

Not without an apology for Alien 3, and atonement for Alien 4.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 27th, 2014 at 8:40:27 PM permalink
Quote: endermike

IMO: no, but I'm young enough that Clark Gable seems ancient. If you don't mind the pry, how close?

He's a third or fourth cousin, twice removed, I think. I'll ask my Great-Grandma next time I talk to her.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
June 27th, 2014 at 2:19:59 PM permalink
I have my family tree posted up on Ancestry.com as millions of others do to. You can go through the tree's of others looking for common ancestors. And if anyone has pictures or documents posted in their tree you can attach that picture or document to the person in your tree.

Not long ago a Jeanne Shackleford attached some pictures in my tree to a common ancestor in her tree. You are always notified when someone does this. I thought, Wow, am I related to Shacklefords? I went to her tree and took a look. It turned out that she had a grandmother whose maiden name was Crimm. I thought about it some more. Shackleford is Jeanne's married name. If she has any kids by her Shackleford huband then I am related to at least some Shacklefords.
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
June 27th, 2014 at 2:30:43 PM permalink
My great grandfather was a Porn-Slapper. The first one, actually.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
June 27th, 2014 at 3:10:41 PM permalink
I have some interesting ancestors. One of my 5th great-grandfather's, William DePriest Jr. was a Virginia lawyer who was hung by the British in 1768 for for counterfeiting 80,000 pounds of Maryland currency. He wasn't a common criminal. He was part of the Sons of Liberty movement. The British had passed a law that no currency could be printed in the colonies. The colonies had a consistently growing population with a finite money supply and it made money hard to get. It was actually Patrick Henry who talked him into printing the currency. William's son, James DePriest killed a lot of British in the Revolutiony War. He hated the bastards for hanging his father.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
June 27th, 2014 at 4:04:33 PM permalink

I really liked Prometheus. Definitely one of the better origin of life stories.
Toes14
Toes14
June 27th, 2014 at 5:17:04 PM permalink
One of my ancestors was Colonel John Tipton, who won 'The Battle of Franklin' in what is now Tennessee & North Carolina, defeating the the forces of John Sevier, who lead the separatists. He later served in the Virginia and North Carolina legislatures. One of his sons founded Cades Cove, in the Great Smokey Mountains.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 9th, 2014 at 12:40:30 PM permalink
I figure I should start putting this stuff in the thread where it belongs. I recently read a book on the Earps, the famous lawmen of Wichita, Dodge City, and Tombstone. I discovered that their mother's maiden name was Victoria "Virginia Ann" Cooksey. I have a 2nd great grandmother whose name was Susan Ann Cooksey. So this piqued my interest. Susan's father was George Washington Cooksey who migrated from South Carolina to Mississippi in the 1830's. Victoria Cooksey married Nicholas Porter Earp in Hartford, Kentucky in 1840. So I set to work tracing both lines back in time.

My Cooksey line started with Samuel Cooksey (1650-1709) of Charles County, Maryland. The Earp's Cooksey line started with Phillip Cooksey (1640-1697) who was born in England but migrated to Charles County, Maryland in 1659. The trail stops there. No genealogist has been able to show what the relationship between Samuel and Phillip was. They were too similar in age to have been father and son.

So I go to my Autosomal DNA database. I currently have 27 DNA matches with Samuel Cooksey descendents. And I have 9 DNA matches with Phillip Cooksey descendents. Autosomal DNA matches start fading out after 9 or ten generations. So the matches suggest Samuel and Phillip had a relatively recent common ancestor, probably a father, grandfather or great grandfather. And why did Phillip specifically settle in Charles County, Maryland where Samuel was?

Anyway, I'm distantly related to Wyatt Earp.
Mosca
Mosca
November 9th, 2014 at 1:25:19 PM permalink
Thanks for reviving this.

My many times great grandfather Frederick came over on the Edinburgh, with his uncle Ludvig. He settled in Chester, and married Eva Kronk. Dad says he would have to look in his records to find more details.
Mosca
Mosca
November 9th, 2014 at 1:38:42 PM permalink
On another note,

My grandmother on my father's side was pretty snooty. Their house was always filled with artsy fartsy stuff: French paintings, milleflores, old brass knicknacks, and porcelains, and old books, much of which was obviously very old and very rare and expensive. The family story was that her aunt Peggy had been married to Sir Henry Tate, of the Tate Gallery in London.

This was untrue. Peggy's husband was a customs inspector for The Port of New York. I leave it to the reader to figure out where all the rare family knicknacks came from. My sisters have most of them, I don't care much about stuff. I had one of the nice music boxes, but one of my sisters coveted it so I gave it to her. I think I have a couple Toby mugs and some pewter.

(Henry Tate was married once, at age 65, to Jane Wignall.)
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
November 9th, 2014 at 1:38:46 PM permalink

Thanks for reviving this.

My many times great grandfather Frederick came over on the Edinburgh, with his uncle Ludvig. He settled in Chester, and married Eva Kronk. Dad says he would have to look in his records to find more details.

Thanks, Mosca. I have a 5th great grand uncle, Valentine Thrash, who did five stints in the Revolutionary War. In 1832 Congress provided for pensions for the Rev Vets. In 1833 Valentine applied for and received a pension of $45.83 per year. Does anyone know how much money that would be in 2014 dollars?
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
November 9th, 2014 at 1:51:56 PM permalink

Thanks, Mosca. I have a 5th great grand uncle, Valentine Thrash, who did five stints in the Revolutionary War. In 1832 Congress provided for pensions for the Rev Vets. In 1833 Valentine applied for and received a pension of $45.83 per year. Does anyone know how much money that would be in 2014 dollars?

about $1237 give or take

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1833-dollars-to-2014-dollars
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 9th, 2014 at 1:56:07 PM permalink

received a pension of $45.83 per year. Does anyone know how much money that would be in 2014 dollars?

About $1000 now, less than a dollar a week then. A
skilled carpenter in 1830 made about $100 a year,
so it's almost a half a years wages. You could buy
many things in 1830 for half a penny, so you can't
compare it to now. They made them into the 1850's.

Paper money was around but almost nobody used
it because it was so easy to counterfeit. Even after
the Civil War it was mostly coins. Ever see anybody
in a western pay for a drink with anything but a coin?

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: